Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

Hi,

Well, it's been six months and I still haven't got it.  What I have gotten
good at is moving SQL databases around and restoring from backup images.
I've gotten that down to under 25 minutes for both the system and CRM+CRM
website drives.  Us newbies just beat our heads against the box until it
breaks, restore, read, read, read and try again.

First it was the ImportDefaultDataAction failure, then the
GrantDatabaseAccessAction failure, now I am hitting a
UpgradeCustomizationsAction failure, Object reference not set to an instance
of the object, sheesh.

I've learned how to run the SQL cleanup scripts in Query Analyser and also
changed the db owner.  That seems to have solved the GrantDatabaseAccess
error as it appears the upgrade tool did not like that the dbo was
(servername$), so changed the dbo to SQLADMIN.

Looked through the crm30srvrsetup logs, wow, really big.  Pushed print once,
oops, 2900+ pages.  Printed 300 pages before I could stop the printer.

Now with the UpgradeCustomizations thing, Object reference not set to an
instance of the object?

I've tried MS Support and they burned me on one of the two requests you get
when you buy the SBE server license, without solving the problem.  I'm still
upset they closed the case in a few days without it being solved.  I'll not
try that again.

I do have several boolean buttons added to both the contacts and accounts,
with new tabs for them both.  Stuff like "gets holiday gift",  I did
"manually" remove an orphaned user not in AD from the tables.

Will continue to bang head against box.

Thanks for any help or insight,
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Just so you know..you can re-open a case with MS support if the issue is
still outstanding. In particular they may soft close a case if they have not
heard from you and were expecting a response

==============================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft

"E. Palmer" <EPalmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Well, it's been six months and I still haven't got it.  What I have gotten
> good at is moving SQL databases around and restoring from backup images.
> I've gotten that down to under 25 minutes for both the system and CRM+CRM
> website drives.  Us newbies just beat our heads against the box until it
> breaks, restore, read, read, read and try again.
>
> First it was the ImportDefaultDataAction failure, then the
> GrantDatabaseAccessAction failure, now I am hitting a
> UpgradeCustomizationsAction failure, Object reference not set to an
> instance
> of the object, sheesh.
>
> I've learned how to run the SQL cleanup scripts in Query Analyser and also
> changed the db owner.  That seems to have solved the GrantDatabaseAccess
> error as it appears the upgrade tool did not like that the dbo was
> (servername$), so changed the dbo to SQLADMIN.
>
> Looked through the crm30srvrsetup logs, wow, really big.  Pushed print
> once,
> oops, 2900+ pages.  Printed 300 pages before I could stop the printer.
>
> Now with the UpgradeCustomizations thing, Object reference not set to an
> instance of the object?
>
> I've tried MS Support and they burned me on one of the two requests you
> get
> when you buy the SBE server license, without solving the problem.  I'm
> still
> upset they closed the case in a few days without it being solved.  I'll
> not
> try that again.
>
> I do have several boolean buttons added to both the contacts and accounts,
> with new tabs for them both.  Stuff like "gets holiday gift",  I did
> "manually" remove an orphaned user not in AD from the tables.
>
> Will continue to bang head against box.
>
> Thanks for any help or insight,

0
John
9/6/2006 3:49:22 AM
Hi Mr. O'Donnell,

But if they hard closed it after about 10 days and say that they "provided
the solution" and I was not able to implement or even try their solution in
time for the deadline for closing the case, would they re-open that?  At the
time I did not have the ability to atttempt a restore, fail and get back to
base in about an hour like I do now.  I was still restoring a large data
drive + 15gb system drive from images and I could not risk that unless it was
an overnight job, which would not happen on a weekday.  They were not about
to wait around and leave the case open for the couple weekends it would have
taken me to get up to speed on SQL cleanup scripts and other things.  I felt
shutdown and have not really gotten going on this until the summer, this was
in March.  Now, finally I have mail, sql data+crm website, company specific
data, system and sharepoint/moniter data all on separate physical and/or
logical drives so I can restore any one thing from a drive image.  This being
SBS 2003 these things are not split out by default, so it takes us new guys
some time to learn this.

I can at least ask I suppose.  But when confronted with these errors the
first time they took the easy way out and said to go the data migration
route, and walking me through that certainly isn't going to be included in
the support tag.  If I were to start another request based on these other
errors, they would do the same thing and very likely strike out my last CRM
support allowance.  I don't see how I can win here.

Sincerely,

E. Palmer

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> Just so you know..you can re-open a case with MS support if the issue is
> still outstanding. In particular they may soft close a case if they have not
> heard from you and were expecting a response
>

> ==============================
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft

Running UserForm1 routines from UserForm 2
Hi, I have 2 userforms. Userform1 works great and now I'm creating userform2. In userform 2 I'd like to call a couple of the routines from Userform1. Is this possible? and if yes, how should I approach it. Thanks Chuck By default, userform subroutines are private, which I think means that they cannot be called from outside that userform module. However, you can rename the Userform subroutines from "Private" to "Public". (Not sure if this is a good idea or not) Once the userform subroutine is "Public", you can simply call any use...

AutoArchiving #3
Autoarchiving does not appear to be working for a particular user. Outlook creates the Archive.pst, and the appropriate folder structure within it, but does not move any items into it. We have adjusted archive setting regarding age of items to be sure old items are covered in the parameters, and still no items are moving. Any ideas? Thanks Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to determine whether or not an item is ready to be AutoArchived, and a simple action such as moving the item to another...

1-52 pages, 8,000 employee numbers
Dear Excel, I have the ultimate challenge: to do job books for 8,000 employees. The form is completed, but the request is to make booklets of 52 pages for each employee. Each page of the booklet must also have each employee's number on it (0001 to 8000). Each page o fthe booklet must be numbered with the week number from 01 to 52. Therefore I need to auto generate 416,000 pages. Ridiculous I know but nobody listens to us! How can I export the above scenario to PDF from Excel? Thanks On Apr 19, 2:17=A0pm, gatecrasherg13 gatecrasherg13 <gatecrasher...@gmail.com> wr...

Data Export #2
Hi, We are using MS CRM 3.0 and are migrating to NetSuite. I am not a CRM expert but is there a way to export all data ( I can already do the excel export for names/contacts/accounts) including attachments and information from the notes tab? So when you open up a contact and click on the Notes tab I want to be able to export all of that information and then import it into netsuite. I have looked online for solutions but haven't come across anything as of yet. any information you can provide would be help and yes i do realize i am asking a ms forum to help me migrate to a non-ms product...

Outlook still hanging
I have followed the advice from my last message - I have renamed the file to outcmd.old and I have disabled messenger in the Options. The problem only occurs when I try to send/receive. If I turn off send/receive every thing is OK but as soon as I try to manually receive or on opening, Outlook freezes still. please help Peter ...

How to set CEdit to ReadOnly but the background color still White?
I use Visual C++ MFC 4.2. I want to set all my CEdit controls to read only but I want to keep the WHITE BACKGROUND appearance. How to do that? Thank you very much. Handle WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC. -- Ajay "Landon" <Landon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C081A07-E979-42C5-B56B-8F151B440757@microsoft.com... >I use Visual C++ MFC 4.2. > > I want to set all my CEdit controls to read only but I want to keep the > WHITE BACKGROUND appearance. > > How to do that? > > Thank you very much. I've tried it and it works. But I've got 2 M...

App Runs Slower w/2 Users Than w/1?
Got an app that runs slower with multi-users. I can see it being little bit slower, but this one makes me thing I'm doing something dumb. When reconnecting tables, there's a quantum increase in time needed - like at least 20x (haven't put a clock on it). When just performing day-to-day functions like navigating a list and loading details, it's about twice as slow when running multi-user. Separate copy of the front end on each user's PC. Back end on a LAN file server. I figure it's got tb something with hitting the .ldb file, but what? Something about the way I o...

COUNTIF Problem #2
I have a large spreadsheet (20+ columns and 2000+ rows) called 'big_list'. On another spreadsheet, I use the following equation to display the number of times the word 'Open' appears in column H. =COUNTIF('C:\Spreadsheets\[big_list.xls]Sheet1'!$H$1:$H$1676,"Open") Column B of 'big_list' contains dates. What equation would display the number of times the word 'Open' appears in column H and have a date in column B that is earlier than '25/10/03'. Any suggestions? COUNTIF only seems to allow for one variable. Thanks in advance. try ...

Upgrade Exchange in SBS 4.5a to SBS 2003
A client who is currently running SBS 4.5a will be migrating to SBS 2003. Any advice as to how to convert their Exchange 5.5 data will be greatly appreciated. -- Regards, Allan C If they're upgrading in place, it should be taken care of. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Allan C" <proven_solutions@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uUEy%23YevFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... >A client who is currently running SBS 4.5a will be migrating to SBS 2003. > > Any advice as to how to convert their Exchange...

CRM 3 STILL NOT GOOD
Just tried CRM 3 on the demo servers provided by Microsoft. After ALL THE TIME they spent on it . . . and it's STILL NOT AS GOOD AS IT SHOULD BE! It lacks basic functionality found in earlier versions of ACT. And much is not intuitive (such as searching for accounts). I will not enjoy rolling this out to the sales reps as they will say that it's still not good. Even if you add a module like marketing, and yet neglect the basic problems with the software, you still don't have a truly good product. -- Brandon What sort of search functionality were you looking for ?. ...

NewsMaestro Usenet Supertool
NewsMaestro 3.7.5 has been released. It includes support for Windows/Linux/Unix. All the class files are provided. Linux version has been verified with Sun's JVM. On Windows, it runs under both Microsoft and Sun JVM. News Maestro is a power tool for usenet that automatically performs any standard Usenet operation, as specified in various RFSs, individually, or in bulk, on any number of groups and articles, utilizing sophisticated filters to select the articles to be processed from/to archives. New features and bug fixes: Source code is included. Version 3.7.5 * Fixed a bug introduced ...

RAID 10 still best for DB's?
We run Exchange 2003 Enterprise. We have 3 Mailbox stores which had 1-2 databases in each and each maiailbox store in on a RAID 10 partition. We use to have them on RAID 5 at it was very slow sometimes, our average writes/reads to disk per second were sometimes hitting > 50 msecs. Now on RAID 10 we sometimes get the odd >30 msecs but many when backups are running. We are going to be upgrading our server soon, would RAID 10 be the best way? Plus we will eventually upgrade this new server to Exchange 2007. On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:00:11 +0100, "Gonzo" <no@no.com> ...

How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each data set?
How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each data set? On Jul 20, 5:26 am, libertyforall <r...@royhuff.com> wrote: > How do I get a graphy with 2 data sets to have 2 Y axis one for each > data set? Hi libertyforall, have a look at Jon Peltier's beatiful site, especially: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html Have fun, cheers Michael ...

stupid question #2
i have a spreadsheet that the last person working on it put last name and first name in the same cell i would like it to have a last name column and a first name column. is it possible to split the contents with out having to retype it all. P.S. there are over 1000 entries ;O) Select the cells with names in and then:- data|text to columns and use the wizard Mike "Kimberly" wrote: > i have a spreadsheet that the last person working on it put last name and > first name in the same cell i would like it to have a last name column and a > first name column. > is it p...

Beginner question #2
Please forgive what might be a beginner question. I have a spread sheet that is made up of 10 columns. I would like to make it so that each time I change a number in these columns, the sub-total at the bottom of each column changes automatically AND so that the sub-total in the far right column changes automatically. Is there a template for this?? Thanks so much!!! You would use a function for that, lets say you have values in A1 to A10, then in A11 place this =SUM(A1:A10), or =A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6+A7+A8+A9+A10. got the idea?? "jenny" <jenny@hotmail.net> skrev i melding ne...

Still losing pictures
I am still losing my graphics! Here is what has happened: Originally, I started to edit an existing file. Most of the pictures were already there. I added some pictures and text using the insert picture from file method. After saving and re-opening the next day, I had lost all of the old images but still had the ones that I had just added. I replaced all of those pictures using the graphics Manager by clicking on the empty picture in the Graphics Manager and selecting replace picture. After saving and re-opening the next day, now they are all gone. I am using windows metafile images. Today,...

Lineage 2 interlude
�� request, ������, ���� ������������. ��������� ����. �� ����. Είστε ευπρόσδεκτοϊ -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com If my post was helpful to you, please rate the post. __________________________________ "Βαγγέλης" wrote: > Το request, τελικά, είχε αποτελέσματα. Ευχαριστώ πολύ. > Τα λέμε. > > ...

No companies on login after 8.0 upgrade
User logins' seem fine. Error message says "A get/change first operation on table 'SY_User_Company_Access_REL' failed accessing SQL data". Click OK, & I'm at a company login screen with no companies to choose from. Any ideas? Log in as the sa and then go to System>Setup>User Access and check access to the companies that you want. "Richard Adams" wrote: > User logins' seem fine. Error message says "A get/change > first operation on table 'SY_User_Company_Access_REL' > failed accessing SQL data". Click OK,...

Excel Problems #2
My computer: Deskto XP operating syste Office 200 stand alone...not networke I just installed MS Office 2003 and apparently had a user account set up for me during the installation. I am the administrator and I can't get rid of the User accounts....a feature that I do not want. However, when trying to open files I get the following screen message Invalid or missing cookie(s). Your administrator requires that cookies be used to secure your session. Please contact your administrator if you need further assistance. Anyone have any ideas how to handle this problem? I can't get into E...

repeat question....still looking for an answer
how are people handling the situation of no salesperson ID being transferred over from CRM to Great Plains on the customer card? Also how are people handling the situation of no tax schedule ID available in CRM? I'm told that my customer class ID in GP will have to be set up with a default tax id - THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. Without a salesperson ID or a tax schedule ID it creates a lot more work for my accounting dept. they will have to go into every card in GP and add in the correct tax id and then they have to go to crm to find out who owns the account, go back to GP and ...

Outlook taking 2 minutes to open
Outlook 2000 taking 2 minutes to open up. How can I speed this up? Running windows XP, takes at least 3 minutes to boot up. I run System Mechanic Professional; at least every other day. It's a long shot but try running ScanPST.EXE on your PST file to check it for corruption. You might also want to compact it "Trevor" <trevor@nospam.woldsweather.plus.com> wrote in message news:uZq3mrsRGHA.4900@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Outlook 2000 taking 2 minutes to open up. How can I speed this up? Running > windows XP, takes at least 3 minutes to boot up. I run System Mec...

Begginer: How to change the middle of CString contents? #2
I'm trying to change some contents in the contents in the middle of a CString var. Let me explain. The CString var contains the following: 00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\ 00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\ 00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\ 00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,43,00,42,00,44,00,30,00,30,00,30,00,30,00,\ 00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\ 00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0...

2 versions of Excel
Hello, I'm currently using Excel 2003, but alos want to install a previous version of Excel because of an add-in that doesn't work in Excel 2003. Are there any known problems concerning running two different versions of Excel on the same computer? Greetings René I have read in the NG's that it is OK to have more than one version on a computer as long as they are in different folders. (Not that I could afford to test it out!) -- HTH Sandy sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace@mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "Ren�" <Ren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

Outlook 2007 (RTM) New Mail Notification still not fixed?
I've searched the groups and found people experiencing problems with the new mail notification in Outlook 2007. The main problem is that the mail icon in the system tray will only appear when new mail arrives in the DEFAULT store inbox and stays there. If a rule moves the email to a different folder, no mail icon will show up, nor will it show up if email is delivered to an INBOX, but one that is not the default store (i.e. when using an exchange account and a POP account). So....I'm using the final Enterprise version, and the problem still exists. Rules can be created to show the...

ability to select more than 1 item on a sales transaction entry wi
is anyone aware of a tool or product that would allow us to select more than 1 sales item at a time when entering a document in the sales transaction entry window? we are finding it very cumbersome to enter transactions via the GP sales transaction entry window - enter 1 sales item... tab to next line... enter 2nd sales item...tab to next line , etc. We are looking to have the item window appear and be able to select more than 1 item. kernl, No I haven't heard of anything like this although I seem to recall talking about writing one years ago for a customer. But it never happen...