Setting up test environment to test CRM 3 to CRM 4 upgrade...

So much of the planning information for and in-place up upgrade CRM 3.0 to
4.0 mentions testing the upgrade.  But it really seems like an all-or-nothing
deal.  This scares me because we use a few 3rd party helper apps (c360, TAPI
for CRM) and don't want to go through a 99 steps before realizing it hangs on
the 100th.  Has anyone set up a test environment to test things out, perhaps
in a VM.  Here's my current infrastructure (only the machines that are
relevant).

Server 1:  CRM 3 Server running Win2003R2, SQL 2005SP2
Server 2:  Exchange Server running Win2003R2, Exchange 2003, CRM3 router
Server 3:  AD Domain Controller, dns, etc. running Win2003R2
Server 4:  AD Domain Controller, dns, etc. running Win2003R2

I do run Symantec's BackupExec System Recovery (disk imaging software that
is essentially the enterprise version of ghost) running on these server, so
my ultimate bail-out option is to restore them from images.  But this also
gives me the potential option of copying these over to Virtual machines.
Wondered if anyone has done this sort of thing for the purposes of testing
the upgrade.

--
Sketchy
0

Check this posting, this was just asked about a week ago. I hope its
clear enough, there is another reference to another post in it as
well.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.crm/browse_frm/thread/1a79f6debe686afb/fec477de30aaaf70?lnk=st&q=#fec477de30aaaf70
0
bradlaw (133)
5/15/2008 6:34:03 PM
Highly recommend keep the current 3.0 environment intact and upgrade in
another environment.  Also good opportunity to upgrade to 64 bits environment
since 4.0 supports 64 bits.

Link to writeup:
http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!A2586C4AB938C065!310.entry

Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com
http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm

"sketchy" wrote:

> So much of the planning information for and in-place up upgrade CRM 3.0 to
> 4.0 mentions testing the upgrade.  But it really seems like an all-or-nothing
> deal.  This scares me because we use a few 3rd party helper apps (c360, TAPI
> for CRM) and don't want to go through a 99 steps before realizing it hangs on
> the 100th.  Has anyone set up a test environment to test things out, perhaps
> in a VM.  Here's my current infrastructure (only the machines that are
> relevant).
>
> Server 1:  CRM 3 Server running Win2003R2, SQL 2005SP2
> Server 2:  Exchange Server running Win2003R2, Exchange 2003, CRM3 router
> Server 3:  AD Domain Controller, dns, etc. running Win2003R2
> Server 4:  AD Domain Controller, dns, etc. running Win2003R2
>
> I do run Symantec's BackupExec System Recovery (disk imaging software that
> is essentially the enterprise version of ghost) running on these server, so
> my ultimate bail-out option is to restore them from images.  But this also
> gives me the potential option of copying these over to Virtual machines.
> Wondered if anyone has done this sort of thing for the purposes of testing
> the upgrade.
>

> --
> Sketchy
0
FrankLee (144)

setting up new outlook mail account

CRM External Web Access
Where can I find instructions on configuring our CRM site to be available via the web? We're using SBS 2003 with ISA 2004. -- Brandon Presentations Direct - "Document Finishing Solutions" http://www.presentationsdirect.com on the CRM cd there should be a documentation folder with a PDF of the implementation guide.or download it here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ff067f8-4f77-40f0-ae9c-68ada7d4f16a&DisplayLang=en This is a good read: http://www.sbs-rocks.com/crm/crmsbeinstall.htm "karupspc@yahoo.com" wrote: > on the CRM ...

OWA Set Rule problem

Find or Search Problem #3
Thank You Dave...I will give that a look over and attempt to apply it t what I now have -- VBAvirgi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- VBAvirgin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1632 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27716 ...

Upgrade from Crm 1.2 to Crm 3.0
Hi, I have upgraded Crm1.2 to Crm3.0. When I go to Workplace, Reports the list is empty. Any ideas? Details: SBS 2003 SP1 SQL Server 2000 SP4 When I go to IIS and open DefaultWebSite | Reports | Home.aspx , right-click and browse it prompts for password, (I provide domain admin) then it redirects me to http://localhost/Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx and gives the following error: Could not find part of the path "D:\Crm\ReportServer\reportService.asmx" Thanks in advance, Keener what happens if you go to http://localhost/reports on the crm web server - what do you see? ========...

Document Status Problem After GP9 Upgrade
Last week we upgraded from GP8 to GP9. Everything seemed to be going well until today when we tried to run a Cross-reference by source document report. None of our payables checks are shown in this list. I went into SmartList and it shows all of our check transactions as Document Status = Work which means they have not posted, but we have not changed our process from GP8. Are we missing something that changed in the upgrade? I verified it is not a report issue, if I pull the same report for dates before the upgrade it is correct but everything after the upgrade is shown as not post...

Office 2004 Test Drive #4
Hi Friends I just got my new MAcbook Pro and was taking it for a test drive when I came to a screeching halt. It seems my clock was set for the wrong time zone which was past midnight and hence was registering Tuesday when it was still Monday. I had already started the test drive for office 2004 and then when I was playing around and notice the time was not correct I set it. After that since the date was now one day earier my Office 2004 would not run. even though it is ow Tuesday it still will not run it tells me that it is expired (after 2 hours) is there any help for this. I am afraid...

can't send outlook test message, pop & smtp are OK
i have configured a pop account in outlook 2002. when I click the button "test configuration settings" outlook goes through a routine to send a test e-mail from the account. i can connect to the pop server, but am unable to send a test message or connect to the smtp server. outlook hangs and after several minutes comes back with the error "unable to connect to ougoing mail server (smtp) please contact your admin or ISP." I have verified with my ISP that the settings are correct and I am able to ping the pop and smtp settings. the settings all look OK. I don'...

Sending error #3
Using Outlook 2002. I'm getting lots of sending errors - code 0x800CCC78 - with Outlook apparently trying to send email from using my Compuserve account but failing. That's not surprising as my Outlook isn't set up to send from Compuserve. Trouble is I can't find any messages that it's trying to send. Nothing in Outbox or anywhere else that I can see. Any ideas where/how I can zap the offending emails? Bryan Hello Bryan, this error accours, when the SMTP needs an authentification. Please activate Server need to authentifacate under your Account Options. "Brya...

CRM 4.0
Hi; We have a customer that would like to run CRM 4 on 32-bit Windows and then add a new 64-bit app server, and point to the same organization. The end-game is to soon thereafter retire the 32-bit box, but is anyone aware of any problems having the 2 mixed-architecture servers running at the same time? Thanks, Dave Ireland Shouldn't be a problem. Check out section 3.1.7 of the CRM 4 Planning guide for more information on 32 bit and 64 configurations for App Server, SQL, SQL Connector, OS, etc. I just moved a 32 bit sql database to a 64 bit box while keeping the 32 bit app s...

How to set backcolour

Help for CRM Exams
Hi everybody. In my work I have 3 CDs and 3 Manuals. CD #1 - Installation & Configuration. CD #2 - Customization Interactive CS. CD #3 - Applications Interactive CD. The manual´s names are: Applications Professional Training Pack. Customization Training Pack. Installation & Configuration Training Pack. My question is if with this material I´m ready to take the CRM exams. If not, tell me where I get the exams material. Thanks. Daniel Rodriguez. Argentina. You have the essential materials. Just make sure the version of Installation & Configurati...

Set Regional Settings but not Language

CRM Cisco call connector
I've installed Cisco's Unified call connector 4.0.3 on our CRM 4.0 server, and the client on my PC. The client is talking to the server OK as it will search for a phone number and pick out the relevent Contact details from the Server. However When I click the Dial button ( from my client ) on a contact , the webpage it brings up is an http://localhost:5556............ . Question is why is my client looking for a localhost page, is there a config somewhere that i've missed that should be pointing it to the CRM server or Cisco Callmanager? For anyone who might hit the same pr...

Appointment duration different between Outlook and MS-CRM
Does anyone know why an All Day Event on Outlook and an All Day Event in MS-CRM have different durations. It seems that an All Day Event in MS-CRM is calculated based on the individuals start and end times in their CRM user record but an Outlook All Day Event is the full 24 hours regardless of the start and end time you set up in Calendar options. This makes it difficult to use CRM for reporting the total amount of time spent working on a lead or opportunity if individuals are creating all day appointments in Outlook and synchronizing the data back to MS-CRM Any ideas? -- Simon Morri...

Reading Pane Settings

CRM Mobile / Mobile Express
I'm stuck with a few questions here: - are these two different products? - I'd like to know if it can be used with ANY language version of CRM 3.0 server (as I'm not using the english version). - if an entirely new form is build in CRM 3.0 server, will that page then be available on CRM Mobile? Who can answer these questions? Regards 1. Yes, two different products 2. Microsoft CRM Mobile is available in English, German, French, and Spanish. 3. Build a new form in Microsoft CRM, do you mean a new View? The Views are not the same. However, you can access the fields inc...

interactive buttons, multiple sets

How do I set OOR

Logical test
I am creating a spreadsheet application on Excel 2000 to record the time (24 hour clock) when checks are made each day of the week by a person’s identification. To accomplish this, a logical test is used in the column (say Column D) for recording the time the person made the check (say Column E). When the validity of the person’s identity is verified, the time is recorded. =IF(AND(E14>200,E14<226),NOW(),” “) The problem is, when the Value_if_true when using NOW(), records a ‘volatile’ time, i.e., the time is not retained for that entry, when the test is performed on another da...