Server OS pre-requisites for CRM 4.0 - URGENT!

Hi.
We are implementing CRM 4.0.

I'm unable to find some clear suggestion about the recommended OS to use.

I know that CRM 4.0 is supported by Windows Server 2003 adn 2008 - and we
are going to 2008 - but... 32 or 64 bits?

In other words, is there some constrain or potential problem leading to
chose the 32 or the 64 bit versions?

Of course, the Server OS will lead also to decide with version of SQL 2008
we will install...

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi,
here alla the information do you need:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1ceb5e01-de9f-48c0-8ce2-51633ebf4714#filelist

Lorenzo Soncini
38100 Trento
Italy

Claudio Casonato wrote:
> Hi.
> We are implementing CRM 4.0.
>
> I'm unable to find some clear suggestion about the recommended OS to use.
>
> I know that CRM 4.0 is supported by Windows Server 2003 adn 2008 - and we
> are going to 2008 - but... 32 or 64 bits?
>
> In other words, is there some constrain or potential problem leading to
> chose the 32 or the 64 bit versions?
>
> Of course, the Server OS will lead also to decide with version of SQL 2008
> we will install...
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> Best regards
0
lsoncini (6)
11/13/2009 11:44:17 AM
Either 32 or 64 is fine, but you might as well go 64 - better performance
and you might find future versions of CRM only run on 64-bit, so go there
now if you have the choice.

Dave Ireland

"Claudio Casonato" <ClaudioCasonato@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E032E300-D0A4-48CC-967A-FB3A1F5081A8@microsoft.com...
> Hi.
> We are implementing CRM 4.0.
>
> I'm unable to find some clear suggestion about the recommended OS to use.
>
> I know that CRM 4.0 is supported by Windows Server 2003 adn 2008 - and we
> are going to 2008 - but... 32 or 64 bits?
>
> In other words, is there some constrain or potential problem leading to
> chose the 32 or the 64 bit versions?
>
> Of course, the Server OS will lead also to decide with version of SQL 2008
> we will install...
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> Best regards

0
direland (470)
11/13/2009 2:01:17 PM
Hello Claudio,

You must take care of different parameters: first Crm is built with CRM
Servers + Sql Server + Exchange

Next, does Crm runs without problem on last MS versions like the 2008R2
should also be a question.

Part of windows internal code has be conceived for very old versions....and
not reingeneered.

Concerning Exchange, if necessary its better to go 2007 which is 64 bits
only.
Concerning Sql Server, it depends the amount of data and number of databases
you have to manage on this sql server: if reserved for CRM 32 bits is
better, else consider 64 bits, all in sql 2008. and 64  bits runs only on
windows 64 bits.
Concerning Crm main server, it needs IIS, but IIS6, not 7 or 7.5, unless
using the compatibility mode (source of complexity in case of pbs).
And to day, its is not proven that 64 bits is faster than 32.

Your hard disk speed, number of processors and memory bus speed could have
more importance than 32/64.
Using VM with plenty of memory and an efficient VM manager could be the main
factor to consider.

CS
http://www.addonnice.com  Imagine CRM - CRM @Commerce

"Claudio Casonato" <ClaudioCasonato@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans
le message de news:E032E300-D0A4-48CC-967A-FB3A1F5081A8@microsoft.com...
> Hi.
> We are implementing CRM 4.0.
>
> I'm unable to find some clear suggestion about the recommended OS to use.
>
> I know that CRM 4.0 is supported by Windows Server 2003 adn 2008 - and we
> are going to 2008 - but... 32 or 64 bits?
>
> In other words, is there some constrain or potential problem leading to
> chose the 32 or the 64 bit versions?
>
> Of course, the Server OS will lead also to decide with version of SQL 2008
> we will install...
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> Best regards

0
NOSPAMCS (53)

an album with 0 bytes information appeared and cannot be deleted
I have WMP11 on Vista Premium. As I list my albums per alphabetical order, somehow a new album was added after the Z letter, (under "other"). with no content, 0 bytes and worse, it cannot be deleted. How do I delete it? What exactly happens when you try to delete it? Does the album have a name, and are there any tracks with their album title set to that name? Resetting the media library should get rid of this ghost album. To do this, follow the instructions for WMP 11 on Vista at http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary Note that resetting the media library will make y...

NO DEFAULT SMTP SERVER..
Hello, I had a problem with exadmin.dll, unregistered it, copied new one and registered it and now the default smtp server is gone under SMTP in my systems manager but everything still works.... HELP where is it ? and how can i get it back ? tnnx. Philippe ...

Upgrading from server 2000 to server 2008R2?
We would like to upgrade our servers to Windows server 2008 R2. Currently we have two Windows 2000 (SP 4) domain controllers, we want to replace the Forest Root Domain box with new hardware & upgrade the other DC to server 2008 R2. I understand it's not possible to upgrade from 2000 straight to 2008 but is server 2003 still available to ugrade to in between? I'm also not sure of what the implications of retiring the Forest Root Domain box would be? Would the best plan be to add the new 2008 server (domain function & forest function level: 2000); upgrade the se...

MS Project Server Admin // Denver, CO
MS Project Server Admin Location: Denver, CO Duration: 6 months Pay Rate: DOE =95 MSProject Server ver 2010, SQL database and Sharepoint 2010 =95 Ongoing support and maintenance involving activities such as =96 Monitoring logs, Patches, resolving support tickets, Dev/Test/Prod support =95 Routine troubleshooting =95 Technical APS maintenance (Project Server & SharePoint 2010) =95 User administration / Password resets etc. =95 Work with Microsoft for any critical issues that might need intervention from Microsoft =95 Application of Patches & migration to Production =95 SQL services mo...

Can Recovery Storage Groups be used if original server gone?
We had an Exchange server die on us a few months back due to hardware issues. All accounts were moved to another box and that one was flattened and taken out of the Exchange org. It was replaced by new hardware that does NOT have the storage groups or databases that the old one did. We have a request to recover data from an info store back up prior to the events above and are running into problems with our backup vendor. Would it be possible to use a Recovery Storage Group to retrieve this data? The mailbox still exists (but may have been moved via Exmerge) so I believe I will pas...

Removed server, exchange still looking for it?
Exchange 5.5, I removed a server from the site using exchange admin, and now am getting event 9318, saying MTA can't contact it. Why is it doing that? I had the same problem after a 5.5 to 2000 migration. Rebooting the Exchange server that was trying to connect resolved the problem. MTA must keep the information cached. Tim "dlw" <dlw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C431500C-F78D-47E5-AAC5-B8C611592E97@microsoft.com... > Exchange 5.5, I removed a server from the site using exchange admin, and > now > am getting event 9318, saying MTA can...

Small Business Server in Windows Server 2000 Environment
I have a requirement to install Microsoft CRM for about 10 CRM Users. The existing Windows 2000 has about 120 users with two Exchange Servers. Is it possible to set up a separate Small Business Server to run CRM within the Windows 2000 domain as this is the most cost effective way of implementing CRM for such a low User count? ...

windows 2008 server cord and windows 2008 std
we have 20+ New server to install windows 2008 for trading purpose. still can not decide to install server core or std full, can someone advise what is the benefit to install core rather than std edition or to install std edition ? DD, There is: Server Standard Server Standard Core Server Enterprise Server Enterprise Core Core is (not quite correctly called) 'Server without Graphical User Interface (GUI)'. There are several reasons why Core was introduced: - *Nix purists were saying that there's no real need/use for GUI on a server and *real* sysadmins ar...

WSS 3.0 Event 3760
Brand new installation of WSS 3.0, WFE and SQL 2008 BE, everything is working correctly with the exception of the 3760 error every 5 minutes. The account trying to access the database is the server farm account but it is a different application pool it is trying to access. I have the server farm account unique and only being used by the central administration application pool. I created a 2nd web application with a different IIS site and a unique domain user account to run as the service. I've looked everywhere on my SQL server and SharePoint and cannot understand why the serv...

Outlook won't leave messages on the server
I have tried and tried to keep Outlook 2003 from deleting my email off my server. I have found the check box under advanced send\receive setting in "options" and I have tried variations of the 3 check boxes in this window and they work until I close Outlook and reopen it, then all of my settings return to the default of deleting my email off the server. Wasn't MS suppose to stop doing things like this? Any help in steering me to the answer (which i am sure is here) to this question is appreciated. Regards Paul A. Walters Hi, Goto Tools --> Email Accounts --> V...

Project Server Provisioned
Hello, I have provisioned Project Server and added it to the trusted zone, but it still comes up unresolved. Hello, You mean PWA home page is not loading or issue with connecting from MS Project Professional? Also mention the version of Project Server. Thanks Chak pVector Technologies http://www.pvectortech.com http://www.epmcentral.com On Apr 16, 11:04=A0am, me <mtyso...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hello, I have provisioned Project Server and added it to the trusted > zone, but it still comes up unresolved. On Apr 16, 12:20=A0pm, Chak <chak...@hotmail.com>...

OT: SVN server
Hi, Sorry for the OT, I am not 100% sure where to ask. I want to setup a subversion repo on a personal website. Would anyone know the best forum/NG to ask such a question? (Or where I could find a tutorial for installing such a repo). Thanks Simon Simon wrote: > Hi, > > Sorry for the OT, I am not 100% sure where to ask. > > I want to setup a subversion repo on a personal website. > Would anyone know the best forum/NG to ask such a question? > (Or where I could find a tutorial for installing such a repo). > > Thanks > > Simon ...

Windows Server 2008 RC2 in Windows Server 2003 Domain
I'm having trouble with one domain controller that has all of the FSMO roles (I have 6 Domain controllers in total running server 2003) I updated my schema to version 47 (Windows server 2008 RC2) and would like to add a new physical server with W2K8 R2 on it and transfer all of the FSMO roles on it. I don't want to upgrade all DC's yet to 2008 R2 yet, so the domain functional level will stay the same for a while (Windows Server 2003). Is there anything I should watch out for with this scenario? Or by just adding a W2k8 R2 box with all the FSMO roles and then decomm...

Exchange Router setup/Setting More than one Exchange Server up in one organisation with two active directories?
Forgive the version difference, but on Exchange 2003 is there a way to install a secondary Exchange Server on a different domain and somehow have it routed to from the other domain or act as a connector to be able to see those emails without removing them? I don't know enough about routing on Exchange to figure if its capable. Or perhaps I need to utilise a different registered email domain and I should use this for testing instead of trying to somehow route emails from one to the other? eg instead of companyname.com I could use companynamecrm.com or something. Would I still want to setu...

pop3 server response
When opening outlook recently it has been saying my pop3 server hasn't respoded in 60 seconds and asks if I would like to wait longer for the server to respond. but sometimes it goes right through. is there any reason why this might be happening. i can only get e-mail about 60% of the time. any help would be greatly appreciated. J.H. Try removing and reinstalling your mail account settings. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After...

Tracking Outlook Appointment in CRM
User selected the Appointment, Track in CRM, selected the Contact to relate and Save and Close, then would get the following error: An error occurred promoting this item to Microsoft RM. The Microsoft CRM server could not be contacted or the user has insufficient permissions to perform this action. This item has been saved to Microsoft Outlook but is not being tracked in Microsoft CRM. After many times back and forth with support, the problem turned out to be that the Role the User was assigned to had been a NEW Role that we created and somehow it became corrupt. We determined that s...

Requisition Management request for quote
In manufacturing environments, an item being requisitioned may first have to go out for vendor quotes. The person creating the requisition should document the specifications and requirements and then may identify several possible vendors. The "approver" should then have the ability to turn this into a RFQ (request for quote) and e-mail it to several vendors. System should track who it was sent to, when, and if a response was received (typically allowing entry of a price and comment). Once the RFQ's are back, the approver should be able to transfer the requisition into ...

why does =date always return the 1900-Jan-0
Hi, I'm trying to understand why this occurs. I have read info regarding serial dates, how excel stores dates etc but can't find an answer to this. It has cropped up while using criteria in advanced filters - I would have expected to be able to filter on =date. I can get round it by using two date criteria i.e. >=date and <=date but it just seems odd that use of =date returns 00/01/00. If I change to 1904 date system it becomes 01/01/04 Any ideas? Thanks Try using =DATE(year,month,day) or referring to a cell with the date of interest. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "sha...

E-Mail Messages Reappear When Server is rebooted
Hello All, I had reason to reboot a windows2003 SBS a few months ago. When it rebooted clients reported old emails had reappeared in their inbox. I was then on a windows2000 SBS site yesterday and when I rebooted the server old emails reappeared. The Windows2003 server rebooted today and again old email reappear. I cannot find any info on web re: this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Sam wrote: > Hello All, > > I had reason to reboot a windows2003 SBS a few months ago. When it > rebooted clients reported old emails had reappeared in their inbox. I > was then on...

Manually run message rules on the server
Hi, Is there a way to run message rules (created by the end-user on Outlook) on the server, say on a daily basis ? The reason is that that person has ~50 rules, moving all incoming messages from his inbox to specific folders. Since he now owns a BES-enabled BlackBerry, these rules prevent him from getting his emails onto his handheld. The idea would be to run all the rules once a day, on his behalf, on the server. Exchange 2007 SP1 Thanks Christian Some rules, like moving messages to another folder in the same mailbox, will run server-side by default, depending on how they're create...

CRM
---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=ae191cd0-5acb-4d8a-b429-18ff05fd0122&dg=microsoft.public.crm ...

web server and exchange server on 2 different servers.
Is there a way to redirect traffic through my web server to my mail server to use OWA with out setting up a front end/back end? If I do have to set up a front end do I have to purchase a separate license? What version of Exchange? If E2k/2003, you have to use FE/BE....and for E2k, the FE server has to be Enterprise. Gonzosez wrote: > Is there a way to redirect traffic through my web server to my mail > server to use OWA with out setting up a front end/back end? > > If I do have to set up a front end do I have to purchase a separate > license? You can install OWA on the w...

Have suite, disk 4 damaged, any suggestions?
I have MS suite. Disk 4 is damaged and I can't use pubisher. Does anyone have any ideas? Which version of Office is this? Did it come with your computer or did you buy it from a retailer? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8FB54D59-D2E6-4D6E-9DAA-7F7C95163C70@microsoft.com... >I have MS suite. Disk 4 is damaged and I can't use pubisher. Does anyone > have any ideas? I cannot remember an Office suite that had four disks. If it did the fourth disk has to be a media disk and Pu...

Importing XML data into SQL Server 2005
Hi, We have an app in .NET with sql server 2005 backend and would need to import relatively huge amount of data from disparate providers on a nightly basis. What is the file format that is preferred and please help me understand why we need to go with a specific format? Is it XML, CSV, or anything else? We have been leaning towards using XML If it is XML, how can we a template for the XML file (is it the XSD schema file?) and pass it to the providers so that we can get formatted data without much discrepancies? Thanks in advance! ...

MultiFunctional Printers and Server 2008
Hello is there are a way without using TS Server to use a printer that is off location? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising! http://twitter.com/rootnl2k http://www.facebook.com/dyadallee UK Time for a Common Sense change vote Liberal Democrat / Alliance Yes, there are many ways. You can use print server device, like HP JetDirect. You can attach printer to any networked computer. "The Doctor" <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message ...