Select SQL during installation

Hi Everybody,

MSFT, MS CRM Gurus I need urgent help.

I am installing MS CRM where SQL server 2000 (SP3) and MS Exchange 2000 and
Active Directory are on an SBS 2000 Server and MS CRM is on windows 2003.
(Supported Architecture confirmed by MSFT)

The SQL server is installed and has one default instance (SP3) and another
instance (SP3).

When installing MS CRM on win2003 Server (when we need to Select SQL
Server), I am not able to connect or just see the computer where SQL Server
is installed (SBS).
I receive the following error: Setup could not open a session to the
instance of SQL Server........
I tried to connect on the IP but I received the same problem.

The real problem is that when we try the installation with another windows
2003 server in their server room with the same hot fixes and pre-installation
conditions (Services running…), the installation is able to see the SQL
Server.

Help is greatly appreciated

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

It may be an idea to install the SQL Server 2000 client items on the CRM
server (plus run SP3a).

Use cliconfg to confirm that your connection to the server is via TCP/IP.
If it is, double-check that there are no DNS issues on the domain.

Stephen

"Georges" <Georges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everybody,
>
> MSFT, MS CRM Gurus I need urgent help.
>
> I am installing MS CRM where SQL server 2000 (SP3) and MS Exchange 2000
> and
> Active Directory are on an SBS 2000 Server and MS CRM is on windows 2003.
> (Supported Architecture confirmed by MSFT)
>
> The SQL server is installed and has one default instance (SP3) and another
> instance (SP3).
>
> When installing MS CRM on win2003 Server (when we need to Select SQL
> Server), I am not able to connect or just see the computer where SQL
> Server
> is installed (SBS).
> I receive the following error: Setup could not open a session to the
> instance of SQL Server........
> I tried to connect on the IP but I received the same problem.
>
> The real problem is that when we try the installation with another windows
> 2003 server in their server room with the same hot fixes and
> pre-installation
> conditions (Services running.), the installation is able to see the SQL
> Server.
>
> Help is greatly appreciated

0
Stephen
9/23/2004 10:51:51 AM
You can alos run odbcad32.exe and try to establish an odbc connection to the
SQL server from your CRM box.

"Stephen Redmond" wrote:

> It may be an idea to install the SQL Server 2000 client items on the CRM
> server (plus run SP3a).
>
> Use cliconfg to confirm that your connection to the server is via TCP/IP.
> If it is, double-check that there are no DNS issues on the domain.
>

> Stephen
>
> "Georges" <Georges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > MSFT, MS CRM Gurus I need urgent help.
> >
> > I am installing MS CRM where SQL server 2000 (SP3) and MS Exchange 2000
> > and
> > Active Directory are on an SBS 2000 Server and MS CRM is on windows 2003.
> > (Supported Architecture confirmed by MSFT)
> >
> > The SQL server is installed and has one default instance (SP3) and another
> > instance (SP3).
> >
> > When installing MS CRM on win2003 Server (when we need to Select SQL
> > Server), I am not able to connect or just see the computer where SQL
> > Server
> > is installed (SBS).
> > I receive the following error: Setup could not open a session to the
> > instance of SQL Server........
> > I tried to connect on the IP but I received the same problem.
> >
> > The real problem is that when we try the installation with another windows
> > 2003 server in their server room with the same hot fixes and
> > pre-installation
> > conditions (Services running.), the installation is able to see the SQL
> > Server.
> >
> > Help is greatly appreciated

Hi Dan,

Can you provide more details about odbcad32 or provide links to reading
materials.

Thanks

"Dan Quinton" wrote:

> You can alos run odbcad32.exe and try to establish an odbc connection to the
> SQL server from your CRM box.
>
> "Stephen Redmond" wrote:
>
> > It may be an idea to install the SQL Server 2000 client items on the CRM
> > server (plus run SP3a).
> >
> > Use cliconfg to confirm that your connection to the server is via TCP/IP.
> > If it is, double-check that there are no DNS issues on the domain.
> >

> > Stephen
> >
> > "Georges" <Georges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Everybody,
> > >
> > > MSFT, MS CRM Gurus I need urgent help.
> > >
> > > I am installing MS CRM where SQL server 2000 (SP3) and MS Exchange 2000
> > > and
> > > Active Directory are on an SBS 2000 Server and MS CRM is on windows 2003.
> > > (Supported Architecture confirmed by MSFT)
> > >
> > > The SQL server is installed and has one default instance (SP3) and another
> > > instance (SP3).
> > >
> > > When installing MS CRM on win2003 Server (when we need to Select SQL
> > > Server), I am not able to connect or just see the computer where SQL
> > > Server
> > > is installed (SBS).
> > > I receive the following error: Setup could not open a session to the
> > > instance of SQL Server........
> > > I tried to connect on the IP but I received the same problem.
> > >
> > > The real problem is that when we try the installation with another windows
> > > 2003 server in their server room with the same hot fixes and
> > > pre-installation
> > > conditions (Services running.), the installation is able to see the SQL
> > > Server.
> > >
> > > Help is greatly appreciated

If you open odbcad32 you can create a File DSN data source, this will test
the connection but can also be opened in Microsoft Access for testing.

1. Goto File DSN tab, select Add.
2. Select SQL Server from the list, Next.
3. Give the test a name and click Next, then Finish.
4. Type in the SQL server name. Click Next.
5. Chose Nt authentication if you are logged on as your domain admin, or SQL
authentication if you want to login with the SQL sa account.
6. Click next, next, finish, then test data source.

Hope that is of some help.

Regards
Dan

"Georges" wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Can you provide more details about odbcad32 or provide links to reading
> materials.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Dan Quinton" wrote:
>
> > You can alos run odbcad32.exe and try to establish an odbc connection to the
> > SQL server from your CRM box.
> >
> > "Stephen Redmond" wrote:
> >
> > > It may be an idea to install the SQL Server 2000 client items on the CRM
> > > server (plus run SP3a).
> > >
> > > Use cliconfg to confirm that your connection to the server is via TCP/IP.
> > > If it is, double-check that there are no DNS issues on the domain.
> > >

> > > Stephen
> > >
> > > "Georges" <Georges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thanks Dan

I will try it in the client server room

"Dan Quinton" wrote:

> If you open odbcad32 you can create a File DSN data source, this will test
> the connection but can also be opened in Microsoft Access for testing.
>
> 1. Goto File DSN tab, select Add.
> 2. Select SQL Server from the list, Next.
> 3. Give the test a name and click Next, then Finish.
> 4. Type in the SQL server name. Click Next.
> 5. Chose Nt authentication if you are logged on as your domain admin, or SQL
> authentication if you want to login with the SQL sa account.
> 6. Click next, next, finish, then test data source.
>
> Hope that is of some help.
>
> Regards
> Dan
>

> "Georges" wrote:
>
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > Can you provide more details about odbcad32 or provide links to reading
> > materials.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Dan Quinton" wrote:
> >
> > > You can alos run odbcad32.exe and try to establish an odbc connection to the
> > > SQL server from your CRM box.

Hello

I solved it.

We had to do a windows repair on the windows 2003 server.

Regards,

"Georges" wrote:

> Thanks Dan
>
> I will try it in the client server room
>
> "Dan Quinton" wrote:
>
> > If you open odbcad32 you can create a File DSN data source, this will test
> > the connection but can also be opened in Microsoft Access for testing.
> >
> > 1. Goto File DSN tab, select Add.
> > 2. Select SQL Server from the list, Next.
> > 3. Give the test a name and click Next, then Finish.
> > 4. Type in the SQL server name. Click Next.
> > 5. Chose Nt authentication if you are logged on as your domain admin, or SQL
> > authentication if you want to login with the SQL sa account.
> > 6. Click next, next, finish, then test data source.
> >
> > Hope that is of some help.
> >
> > Regards
> > Dan
> >

> > "Georges" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Dan,
> > >
> > > Can you provide more details about odbcad32 or provide links to reading
> > > materials.
> > >
> > > Thanks

How to install UMDF-based class filter driver?
Hi, I used to have a WDM-based class filter driver and a setup application which calls the "SETUPAPI.DLL InstallHinfSection" with the INF DDInstall section passed into the function. Now I am trying to port the driver to UMDF-based version. I modified the INF as per WDK required, but I got an installation problem - the UMDF co-installer "WUDFUpdate_01009.dll" can't be triggered by using the setup application. However, installation via Device Manager with the INF is OK. How should I solve such problem? Appreciate your replies. what class are you ad...

Case 'Actual Duration' not getting updated in SQL
Knowledge Base article 913391: The "Actual Duration" field displays an incorrect value when you view the "Resolve Case" dialog box in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 This article corrects the time when you resolve a case by adding some script to an onsave event. Here is where it doesnt work: Lets say you go back and change the time from 2 hours to 4 hours on a Service Appointment. The form shows your updated time by running the onsave event but when you resolve the case, you original time displays and not the updated time. I looked in SQL and the ActualDuration and Sc...

installing SP2 on a Exchange 2003 SP1
Hi Are there some important tasks to do before installing SP2? Should all hotfixes from windowsupdate be applied before running SP2? We have only one exchange, no FE Tomppa Make sure you've removed IMF v1 if you've been using it, since IMF v2 is now part of SP2. Take an online backup, then take an offline backup before applying SP2. Standard stuff really. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson/ "Tommy Forsman" <tofors99@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23JZj8T9LHHA.3312@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi > Are there some import...

Run report on multi selected records.

Can't select objects in Excel 2007

Installing Money 2004 #2
I have Norton anti-virus and personal firewall installed How do I overcome them interfering with Money 2004? If I install ignoring them I cannot download quotes and phone dialler ceases functioning. Deinstall them; then install Money; then reinstall Norton. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "japage" <japage@wallerthwaite.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:22b8b01c38be2$30567cb0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have Norton anti-virus and per...

SQL server error
Hi, I get the following error when the diagnostic wizard is run: "The Microsoft CRM Database Is Not Accessable Cause The Microsoft CRM Database has been taken off-line" However, the SQL server is connected to the domain and it is accessable as well. So, I am not sure why this is being shown. There are other errors related to SQL server that are shown in the diagnostic wizard which are given below: Detected Custom Attributes with Unsupported Characters In The Logical Name Cause Microsoft CRM 3.0 does not support special or extended characters in the logical names of custom att...

Won't Install KB978251
Hello, Need help with installing KB978251. I'm using Win XP Pro SP3 and IE8 (8.0.6001.18702). The windows update constantly notifies that is a new update is available, but when I ask it to install, it tries to for about min., and comes back with a typical failed message window. Thanks, Chowdary See http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/8a100449125b819f vistanewbie wrote: > Hello, > > Need help with installing KB978251. I'm using Win XP Pro SP3 and IE8 > (8.0.6001.18702). The windows update constantly notif...

Select contact then hangs

Installation error with SBS
We are installing CRM server 3.0 under SBS 2003. The setup terminates with the following "the Microsoft search service cannot be administered under the present account" changing the services logon account from the "local system' account to the administrators account made no difference. All replies are valued very much. thanks, MSSEARCH is a component of Microsoft SQL Server 2000. You must change the MSSEARCH and probably all other MSSQL service to run as "local System" and then change the CRM services to run as NetworkService. This can be done via: Start > R...

Installing on Vista
I should start by saying that the 3 of us here have no experience of Vista at all. Never even used it before, but we are doing some final tests of our software and trying it all out on Vista... We have a full version of Advanced Installer version 3.7 and are getting our software ready for release. All is well on XP, but on Vista the installation fails when registering an OCX file. We currently use SASE.OCX for our licensing and the registration fails during install, rendering the application useless as it then won't open as there is no license control present. I have ticked the &qu...

Selecting rows from various sheets

SQL question for Great Plains
My users want to email out certain reports to the user group when they are done with their GL activity every week. I have sql scripts for these reports. I am thinking of creating SSIS package with these sql scripts and have the package email out the report. Everything works great so far. The only thing is that I need the users to run this package and they cant have access to the server. The user workstations dont have sql 2005 client installed either. How can I have the users manually trigger start the SSIS package on the server? Has anyone come across this scenario? Thank you. J...

Force restart of repair install
I've done repair installs for a couple systems, and it generally goes well...except once: Cursor lock, had to hit the reset button. Then on restart, windows says it's resuming, prompts for the CD, etc. All this would be fine, except it gets to a certain point and says it can't complete the repair. There's got to be a flag or file that is signalling windows to resume the install. If I can delete that, maybe a restart on the repair will do the trick. Anyone know how to force that? On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:15:17 -0500, _dee <nomail@notformail.com> wrote: &g...

select text in Calendar

Accessing SQL Server via MFC & ADO
Hello, I currently have two MFC applications that are accessing SQL Server via ADO. Everything works perfectly (it connects to SQL Server and runs the stored procedures and all), the only issue that I seem to be having is that everytime I rebuild and run the application, my firewall comes up saying that my apps need to connect to the net. There is no networking code in either of these apps, so I am guessing that somehow this is caused by me connecting to SQL Server? The server I am connecting to is local (on my machine), and will be local during deployment. My question is, how do I ge...

MS Money 2005 Trial Installation Problem
Everytime I try to open the the 90 day trial I get the following errors: 1. "Money cannot run because your system is currently unable to encrypt data at the required levels...." (I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 and IE 6 so this does not make sense) 2. I click "OK" go to the "File" on the menubar and get Runtime error! Program:.....gram Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe abnormal program termination" 3. I click "OK" and get Runtime error! Program:.....gram Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe ab...

Link select with a blast

Select Case in a Change Event

Select Records based another table...

can't install equation editor
Hello, I am trying to install the equation editor from my Microsoft Word v.X install CD, but have been stymied so far. I first insert the CD, double click on the value pack folder, and open the value pack installer. Everything seems to work fine to that point. I then select the Equation Editor from the available option in the value pack installer, and I click continue. After a couple of seconds of processing, an error message comes up: Error creating file. 1008:5,-5000 Access denied error "OK" is the only option, which then brings up "An error occurred that prevented the pr...

SQL: Summing By Date Continuously?
Two tables: tblPaymentAccrualDaily SecID PayDate PayAmount 003 01/01/2007 123.97 004 01/01/2007 4250.63 003 01/02/2007 123.43 003 01/03 2007 120.45 003 01/04/2007 119.20 003 01/05/2007 130.44 ...and so on for each and every day tblPaymentSchedule SecID PayDate 003 01/03/2007 003 02/03/2007 003 03/05/2007 003 04/03/2007 What I want to do is present, for a given SecID, the total daily accruals from tblPaymentSchedule.PayDate to the next (actually, the day after one PayDate to the next...