Same Contact, Different Owners

We are running V4.  Big big concern of our users is multiple owners of a
single contact.  CRM is only allowing one user to sync back changes from the
CRM to Outlook (so the first user to synch their Outlook contacts with CRM
wins).  Even if record is shared, updates are not being synch'd.  Are there
any solutions/ideas/suggestions to handle this?
0
msvics2 (3)
5/22/2008 11:26:01 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

The easier way to do it is to modify the local data rule for
synchornizing the data. The default rule is to download all of the
records owned by the login user.

Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP
Crowe
http://www.crowecrm.com

On May 22, 6:26=A0pm, msvics2 <msvi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> We are running V4. =A0Big big concern of our users is multiple owners of a=

> single contact. =A0CRM is only allowing one user to sync back changes from=
 the
> CRM to Outlook (so the first user to synch their Outlook contacts with CRM=

> wins). =A0Even if record is shared, updates are not being synch'd. =A0Are =
there
> any solutions/ideas/suggestions to handle this? =A0

0
darrenliu (251)
5/23/2008 2:05:16 AM
The contacts synch from Outlook to CRM is only is true about the contact
record creation.  If I synch my Outlook contact with CRM, it creates a record
in CRM for that user; however, if someone goes and updates the contact on the
CRM record, that change will take priority, and will update the first user's
Outlook contact.  If I make a change to the contact in Outlook, it will be
overwritten by changes made to the contact record in CRM.

It wouldn't work to have 4 users track the same contact in their Outlook
contacts with CRM, the result would be 4 copies of the same record.

You can have multiple people have the same contact in their Outlook contacts
synched with CRM.  Just set up the local data settings based on whatever you
want them to be.

Again, you can have multiple users have the same contacts from CRM in the
Outlook contacts.  You just have to modify their local data settings in the
crm menu in Outlook.  By default it only synchs contacts where that person is
the owner.

"msvics2" wrote:

> We are running V4.  Big big concern of our users is multiple owners of a
> single contact.  CRM is only allowing one user to sync back changes from the
> CRM to Outlook (so the first user to synch their Outlook contacts with CRM
> wins).  Even if record is shared, updates are not being synch'd.  Are there
> any solutions/ideas/suggestions to handle this?
Hi,

Here's another thought and I hope it will help you. Instead of syncing
base on the created by or modified by user. Create a new entity called
Outlook sync, then create a relationship between contact (1 Contact: N
Outlook Sync), then modify the local sync rule to only sync records
with records that have the relationship created.

That means that if you want to sync the contact to your outlook
address book, you need to create a relationship first. So even if the
other users have access to the contact, if they don't have that
relationship created, it will not sync it to their outlook address
book.

Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP
Crowe
http://www.crowecrm.com

On May 24, 7:17=A0am, Joel CustomerEffective
<JoelCustomerEffect...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> The contacts synch from Outlook to CRM is only is true about the contact
> record creation. =A0If I synch my Outlook contact with CRM, it creates a r=
ecord
> in CRM for that user; however, if someone goes and updates the contact on =
the
> CRM record, that change will take priority, and will update the first user=
's
> Outlook contact. =A0If I make a change to the contact in Outlook, it will =
be
> overwritten by changes made to the contact record in CRM.
>
> It wouldn't work to have 4 users track the same contact in their Outlook
> contacts with CRM, the result would be 4 copies of the same record.
>
> You can have multiple people have the same contact in their Outlook contac=
ts
> synched with CRM. =A0Just set up the local data settings based on whatever=
 you
> want them to be. =A0
>
> Again, you can have multiple users have the same contacts from CRM in the
> Outlook contacts. =A0You just have to modify their local data settings in =
the
> crm menu in Outlook. =A0By default it only synchs contacts where that pers=
on is
> the owner.
>

> "msvics2" wrote:
> > We are running V4. =A0Big big concern of our users is multiple owners of=
> > single contact. =A0CRM is only allowing one user to sync back changes fr=
om the
> > CRM to Outlook (so the first user to synch their Outlook contacts with C=
RM
> > wins). =A0Even if record is shared, updates are not being synch'd. =A0Ar=
e there
> > any solutions/ideas/suggestions to handle this? =A0- Hide quoted text -

darrenliu (251)
5/26/2008 4:21:02 PM
Hi Darren,
Thanks for your hint, but please tell me:

is it possible to make a rule, that includes 1) the contacts you own AND 2)
the contacts that are shared to you?

I can't find out how to make the latter criteria?

Thanks, Henrik
0
Henrik1 (32)

Contacts work for Accounts not contacts
Is there a way to limit the Parent Customer field on the Contact form so that it only allows Accounts to be chosen? We don't want the capability to allow Contacts to have Sub-Contacts - but it does not seem possible to hide the Sub-Contacts item in the contacts form left hand menu. Helen; Could you create a new custom entity [Companies or something like that] to use instead of Accounts? then create a relationship between Companies and Contacts and have the lookup on the contact form be to the Companies object, rather than Accounts (remove the parent account lookup field from the ...

Millions of contacts in CRM
Hi, I am concerned about the use of MSCRM in a client with a few milliion contact records (around 6 million). I know from my own experience with SQL Server that there is no problem with this database, but I wonder if there is any issu regarding the application ou the application server...? I also read the performance and sizing white papers, but the concern there is related to number of users not record number... I read a post by Jake Horn where he mentions 2 M account records in a client installation with no problem, with replication turned off ( is this just turning off replication i...

Import Contact as AD contacts
Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in AD and enter all detail I want to import the current details I already have in the Public Folder as contacts thanks Mike On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:31:44 +0200, "Michael Greeff" <mikeg452@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to import contacts form an Exchange public folder to Contacts >in my active directory under an OU? i.e instaed of creating a new contact in >AD and enter all detail I want to import the current de...

Let's exchange contact info #3
Hi, Goran Thisell here, how are you? I am putting together a contact list of individuals interested in sharing resources and business information. If you are interested in connecting please send your Name and information to: mailto:coghem@telia.com?subject=BUSINESS_CONTACT_NG I will follow up as soon as I get your email. It's not an autoresponder so it might not be right away. I appreciate your patience. I look forward to meeting you. Regards, Goran Thisell coghem@telia.com --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20040306105317O0d3ZyV4 ...

OWA
Hi, When my clients create new contacts on their email accounts through OWA why is it they have type the persons name into the search window when they want to add a person or persons to their "to:" field in the message? Why doesn't their contacts show up in the bottom window so they can select one or more? Also when they create Distribution Lists via OWA they are not able to view the lists under Contacts like you can when you are using MS Outlook 2003, also the list doesn't show up when you search for it when creating a new message?? Why is that? Are there work aroun...

NTDSUTIL Roles different than shown with LDIFDE
I thought I posted this earlier but can't see it. I am trying to do ADPREP /RODC on a server 2008 box. We have a 2003 Domain with some 2008 Domain Controllers. When I try to run the above it says it can't reach the infrastructure master. Server#2 has all the FSMO roles according to NTDSUTIL and according to ADUC. When running this command "ldifde -f Infra_DomainDNSZones.ldf -d "CN=Infrastructure,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=xxxx,DC=com" -l fSMORoleOwner" it says that the Infrastructure Role is held by Server #1. Why the discrepancy? How to resolve?...

Contacts view options
A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find it on search, mind you)... My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way around? Many thanks. Trent SC wrote: > A simple question which I'm sure has been answered before (can't find > it on search, mind you)... > > My Outlook 2003's contacts window is listing all my entries in Last > Name, First Name order. How do I swap it so it shows the other way > around? > Many thanks. Top ...

How do I create different header/footer data 4 drawings in 1 file
Hi, I have visio file with 30 BPDs, I would like to have different headers and footers for them. Is this possible. I am using the tab field code for naming, however I need other data.........and they have to remain in one file for distribution. thank yoiu, Annie H&Fs in Visio are quite limited. The normal way of handling repeated information is to use Background pages. H&Fs were added to Visio to allow printing a Visio drawing over multiple physical pages. A background page can be set up to inherit things like Page Name from the page it is attached to so that you can creat...

Add contact to group of appointments
Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Robert Bendett;144399 Wrote: > Is it possible to add a contact to a group of appointment brought up in > a search? Or does each appointment have to be done individually?. > Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Each needs done individually. -- Slipstick 'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com) 'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-t...

Set template to save in different location
I've created a Word doc template and I would like to arrange it so that when someone first saves the document the folder they are prompted to save in is not 'My Folders' but some other network location I've specified in the template. Is this possible? -- TobyR TobyR wrote: > I've created a Word doc template and I would like to arrange it so > that when someone first saves the document the folder they are > prompted to save in is not 'My Folders' but some other network > location I've specified in the template. Is this possible? ...

add contact attribute to contact form
I need to add a new attribute 'introducer' of type contact to the contact form. I can't use the 'parent customer' attribute because I am using it for something else. The introducer is an employee of the account selected as 'parent customer', so ideally I would like the attribute to be a lookup of contacts filtered for the value of 'parent customer'. I then want to populate the address of the introducer into custom address attributes of the contact. Can anyone suggest how I might do this? Thanks, Lorraine. -- Lorraine Quigley Lorraine, You can't a...

Contact Types
I have users complaining that they are seeing too many contacts at once and only want to see the contacts that are available to them. When a user opens an Account and clicks on Contacts, how can it be made to display only the Contacts that are pertinent to a certain user or function? Hello, Microsoft CRM 3.0 is designed such a way that the user acually will see any record that he's allowed to see. You could limit rights to users, but I don't think this is the way to go. Currently I don't see a way to restrict the visible contacts based upon which user is logged on. If user...

Not able to modify another users shared tasks with owner permissio
Some of the users here have started using tasks and they have shared their tasks. Here is the senario. User A has some tasks and has given User B owner access to their tasks list. User B opens the shared tasks of User A and cannot change the names or due dates of any of the tasks. We are using outlook 2003 with a exchange 2003 server here. I have looked all over for a reason for this but havent found an answer any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks, What *kind* of access? Haven&#8217;t tried it, but I&#8217;d bet the delegate permissions need to be set to &#8220;Ed...

finding a corresponding value in the same row in a different colou
Hi I am trying to find a code that will allow me to find a maximum value in a column (say column B) and then finds the corresponding value in the same row in column A. Thanks I am quite desprite so any advise would be fantastic You can use the function MATCH to retrieve the row on which your value is, then the function INDEX to retrieve the value in column A. Example: which value is in column A in range A1:B10, where 5 is in colun B? =INDEX(A1:B10,MATCH(5,B1:B10,0),1) Ingrid wrote: >Hi > >I am trying to find a code that will allow me to find a maximum value in a >column (s...

synching contacts with exchange 2003
Hello, Server contains small business server 2003 with exchange 2003. Workstations are Windows XP running Outlook 2003. If a user adds someone to their contacts, is it automatically saved to the server or do I have to back up that info seperately in a .pst file? Thanks for any help. In news:OSmzfK59GHA.4708@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, Peter McCaul <compcoff@hotmail.com> typed: > Hello, > > Server contains small business server 2003 with exchange 2003. > > Workstations are Windows XP running Outlook 2003. > > If a user adds someone to their contacts, is it automati...

how do I separate different points within a cell in Excel
within a single excel cell, I want to start each point on a new line. For example: complete at least one publication per year disseminate all materials identify new material Alt+Enter provides a paragraph return within a cell. Is that what you mean? ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Niceness" <Niceness@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9109ADA5-8361-4C5A-ABFF-2CF08C9EA4A4@microsoft.com... > within a single excel cell, I want to start each point on a new line. For > example: > > complete at least one publication per year &g...

Contacts Search

WLM contacts wont import from .WAB
I was using outlook express on server 2003 for years without many problems. Recently I exported all my contacts to a .WAB file then moved it to my 2008 R2 server for import. The problem is when I import the 997 contacts, they show up in the immediate session however when I close and reopen WLM the imported contacts are no longer there. anyone have any ideas? Leon I found that removing all punctuation marks (comma's, periods ...) from the contact's street address field cured this exact problem "Leon McCalla" <leonmccalla@remove.hotmail.com> wrote ...

Missing CONTACTS in email even thought Contacts are in "MY CONTACT
I need help! I just bought a new computer, and fairly versed with Outlook and Microsoft Products. I used the Windows Easy Transfer program to transfer files & settings from my old computer (which was Windows XP, running Office 2007) to a new computer (which is Windows 7.0 running Office 2007) and everything came over fine. Bookmarks, all "MY Documents," email settings, contacts, calendar, EVERYTHING. Kudo's to Microsoft for having this tool. One problem that I ran into is that although my .pst file came over fine, and all the email settings, folders, cal...

Frequent Contacts
Groupwise has a feature called "Frequent contacts". Frequent Contacts keeps track of all addresses that you frequently e-mail. It's an awesome feature. Is anyone aware of a similar feature in Outlook 2003. Thanks Jo Not really. You can manually add addresses to your Contacts by right clicking the address. For an automated solution, you'd need extra code... http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! ...

Business Contact Manager Office XP/Outlook 2002
Looking for a trial version or purchasable download of Microsoft Business Contact Manager for Office XP/Outlook 2002. Only identified this product in Beta Version for 2003 or Customer Manager for 2000. Please advise on location and if this software exists. Thank you, Scott It's not available for any product except Outlook 2003. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "Scott" <scott@rapidpulse.com> wrote in message news:04d701c36368$50bbcf20$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Looking for a trial version or purchasable download of > M...

Entourage Contact Icons
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) What is the difference in the contact area between a little person icon next to a contact email or a blue dot? In a group list, I have some people with blue dots and some people with a little person. I cannot see anything special within these two emails to determine why they have different icons. Can you tell me why they are different? On 1/13/10 10:50 AM, in article 59bb0d68.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "sunshineone@officeformac.com" <sunshineone@officeformac.com> wrote: > What is the difference in the cont...

contact not listed in contacts
when i start typing in an email address in Outlook 2002, autofill comes up with three choices. two are in my contact list. the third (which is an incorrect address), when i right click properties, says it is not listed in contacts, however, it is being autofilled in Outlook 2002. how do i find and delete this email address. Also, there does not appear to be a name associated with this address, just the email address. is there a place where addresses are listed that don't have names attached to them? When that address appears in the drop-down, cursor down to it so it's h...

test premier contact
bonjour. je m'appelle sophie et j'aimerais discuter avec vous et mieux vous conna�tre .. a bient�t j'esp�re . -sophie- inga.savant-aleina <inga.savant-aleina@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > bonjour. > > je m'appelle sophie et j'aimerais discuter avec vous et mieux vous > conna�tre . > a bient�t j'esp�re . Ou-est votre question s�r Outlook? -- Brian Tillman ...

Contact disappears after added and saved
If I enter a contact with no email address, but does have a home address or phone number, after I save a close the contact it does not appear in my Contact List. Additionally, I 'search' for it using the find option, the contact is nowhere to be found. However, if I try and enter it again, Outlook indicates it's a duplicate entery. Where are my contacts disappearing to? What do you mean by "Contact List?" Where are these Contacts not appearing that you think they should? Contacts without electronic addresses would not be expected to appear in the addres...