Removing Schema fields

Hi

I have added a field to the contact entity using the Deployment manager and
have encountered two problems:

(1)    Firstly, how on earth do I remove fields I don't want.

(2)    The field I added was a 500 length string.  It seemed to add ok
(although it took a long time), but when I go to add another field it throws
an error and refuses.  When I look in the event log it claims that the
maximum row length of approx 8000 has been exceeded.  Does this mean that
there is a limit on the number and length of attibutes that can be added?
Is there a way around this limitation?

Cheers

Nick

0
Nick
7/8/2003 11:33:27 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

1) At this time, I do not belive there is a way to remove schema fields.  (I
know, this seems silly)

Not sure about second concern.

"Nick Randolph" <randolph@seawa.org.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have added a field to the contact entity using the Deployment manager
and
> have encountered two problems:
>
> (1)    Firstly, how on earth do I remove fields I don't want.
>
> (2)    The field I added was a 500 length string.  It seemed to add ok
> (although it took a long time), but when I go to add another field it
throws
> an error and refuses.  When I look in the event log it claims that the
> maximum row length of approx 8000 has been exceeded.  Does this mean that
> there is a limit on the number and length of attibutes that can be added?
> Is there a way around this limitation?
>
> Cheers
>
> Nick

0
Ryan
7/8/2003 5:05:41 PM
here is the answer to the second question

Document ID: 28709
Date Created: 1/6/2003
Date Last Modified: 4/10/2003 10:52:25 AM
Language: English - United States
Country: USA
Product: Microsoft CRM
Versions: 1.0
Modules: Microsoft CRM System Customization

Issue

Error - "dmLog:  New size of the attribute ({...}) exceeds SQL Server row
limit of 8000 bytes." occurs when trying to add custom fields to Microsoft
CRM.

Resolution

This error may occur when you are doing a Microsoft CRM customization, but
the error actually is a SQL Server limitation, not a Microsoft CRM one.  The
issue is not the number of attributes that are added, rather the length of
each attribute.  The sum (length) of all attributes for a given object
cannot exceed 8060 bytes.  If it does reach this limit, you will receive an
error similar to the one above.  So, whether or not your implementation will
reach this limit depends on the length of custom attributes that have been
added, on top of the attributes that exist out-of-the-box.

Note - Adding custom tables to the <Organization_Name>_MSCRM database is not
supported for Microsoft CRM v1.0.

The following are two queries you can execute to determine the number of
columns and row length in bytes.  These queries should be executed against
your metabase database for Microsoft CRM.  You will need to enter the
appropriate entityid's, which can be found in the Entity table in the
metabase.

SELECT MAX_COL_NUMBER = MAX(ColumnNumber) FROM Attribute WHERE EntityId =
N'{C0A328C7-B25D-4965-9E0B-BA7EF71A483E}'

SELECT SUM(Length) as TotalLength from Attribute WHERE EntityId =
N'{C0A328C7-B25D-4965-9E0B-BA7EF71A483E}' and IsLogical = 0

"Ryan" <rcalderhead@aspire.com> wrote in message
> 1) At this time, I do not belive there is a way to remove schema fields.
(I
> know, this seems silly)
>
> Not sure about second concern.
>
> "Nick Randolph" <randolph@seawa.org.au> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have added a field to the contact entity using the Deployment manager
> and
> > have encountered two problems:
> >
> > (1)    Firstly, how on earth do I remove fields I don't want.
> >
> > (2)    The field I added was a 500 length string.  It seemed to add ok
> > (although it took a long time), but when I go to add another field it
> throws
> > an error and refuses.  When I look in the event log it claims that the
> > maximum row length of approx 8000 has been exceeded.  Does this mean
that
> > there is a limit on the number and length of attibutes that can be
added?
> > Is there a way around this limitation?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Nick

0
John
7/8/2003 5:18:19 PM
You have to reuse the fields already in the database at that point.  SQL
Server has a limitation that the total number of bytes cannot exceed their
8,000 limit.  If you use varchar fields, you can have a row with a
theoretical limit much higher than that, but it will error if you actually
enter that much data in a single row.

To avoid this problem, Microsoft put the cap at 8,000 even though you can
safely have row with more data if you use varchar fields.  I read a
workaround in another post in this newsgroup, but it would definately not be
supported by Microsoft.

The only solution at the moment is to look for an unused field in the
database with the same data type.  Using the form customization tools,
re-label the field to what you would like to use it for.  The drawbacks are
that you have to remember which fields you are remapping, and remember the
mappings when using workflow or the SDK.

"Dianne" <dmcalpine@adlibsys.com> wrote in message
> So, does that mean if you add a field that puts you at
> the character size limit of the object, you cannot
> correct the situation and thus cannot add any further
> fields?
>
> Dianne

0
Mark

Removal

Tax Field Not Transferring
We currently have our salespeople working in orders, and once the order is complete, we transfer it to an invoice. When we perform these transfers, if there is any value entered in the Tax field, this value is not transferred onto the invoice. We always check the box labeled "Include Totals and Deposits," but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Also, we noticed that whenever the shipping method on an invoice is changed, the value in the tax field changes to 0. Is there any way to prevent either of these things from happening? ...

Remove Excel Icon ??

Parse Suffix from Last Name Field
I have a last name field where the suffix like JR, SR, III, II, etc is part of the data. How can I parse the suffix and leave the last name? TIA On Fri, 7 May 2010 12:58:01 -0700, Bill B. <BillB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a last name field where the suffix like JR, SR, III, II, etc is part >of the data. How can I parse the suffix and leave the last name? TIA Not easily: what if you have LastName values like "de la Torre" or "von Beethoven"? You could use expressions like NewLast: Left(([lastname] & " ", InStr...

Remove lines with +++

Update Query
I have a table made up of fields A, B, and C. I want to update the data in the table such that the value in fields C is placed in field A, and field C is set to null. thanks for the help -seems like this should be very simple. -- Bill Gable On Tue, 15 May 2007 12:46:01 -0700, Big Dog wrote: > I have a table made up of fields A, B, and C. I want to update the data in > the table such that the value in fields C is placed in field A, and field C > is set to null. thanks for the help -seems like this should be very simple. Back up your table first. Create an update query. Upd...

How to Remove SRS

Removing an item from menu

Change of field separator
When I open CSV files in Excel all data is put in one column. Can anyone tell me, where I change my set up, so I get another field separator? Please be specific, because my Excel is a Danish version, and sometimes I have a hard time following the English instructions. Thanks! Jane Hi you specify this in the Windows regional settings. Another idea: - rename your *.csv file to a *.txt file - now open it with excel. The Import wizard should appear and should allow you to specify a different delimiter "Janepige" wrote: > When I open CSV files in Excel all data is put in one co...

Copy field data to multiple places

remove Fax from address book?

Need to remove selected characters

Remove deduction code from payroll stub

Populate Table with Fields from Another Table?
I have 2 tables, Claims and Transactions. They have a 1 to many relationship, 1 claim can have many transactions. The issue I am having is that we are working backwards. Instead of inputting a claim and linking the transactions to the claim, I am receiving a data feed of the transactions and need to populate the claim table. I have PK ClaimNumber in my claim table and have the same field within the transaction table. I am thinking I would need a Find Dups query to get the unique claim numbers from the transaction table and then append to claim table. Getting multiple feed...

How to Remove Yahoo toolbar

Removing password protection on a sheet

formula field: don't display anything when value is zero (using ;"
hello, I read this under the topic "How to get a formula field to total an entire table column, even if some cells in the column contain text or are blank" on the MVP-site and can't get it to work. I'm interested in the final bit, using ;"" Does anyone know how to do this? <start quotation>... Then in the total cell, press Ctrl+F9, and within the field braces {}, insert the following formula: { SUM(Table1 F:F) \# "#,##0.00;- #,##0.00;''" } “Table1” in the formula refers to the name of the bookmark you've marked the ...

Inbox Email Show Blank From Field
Can anyone help with this problem please. Some Inbox email show a blank From Field. The messages are from internal users and are not spam. Also the from field is viewable in the preview pane and when opening the message but not in folder view. I've tried restting the folder view but to no avail. Also when the message is copied into another mailbox or a pst the From field remains blank in the folder view. Client is Outlook 2002 SP2. Server software is Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 Standard. Thanks, Phil ...

get a result of an sql into a field

Adding and removing removable drives

how to remove print option in a particular excel file
how to remove print option in a particular excel file You can do this Copy this event in the Thisworkbook module Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub If you want to remove the print icon post back -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "excel" <excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7859E37-2534-4E83-8F71-B9C3CF5C37BA@microsoft.com... > how to remove print option in a particular excel file ...