purchase inhouse vs web hosting

For a small company ready to make a substantial
investment in CRM, can someone lay out the basic pros and
cons of considering webhosting for the applications and
database, as opposed to bringing it inhouse on an company-
owned server?  I am assuming that if brought in house, I
will still be purchasing help desk support in addition to
having a fluent in-house administrator.

Thank you.
0
Mike
10/7/2004 3:34:25 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Usually when you elect to use a hosted solution, you have
to go with a very standard offering, and are very
restricted about the changes that you can make to the
application to reflect requirements of your unique
business.

There are also options as far as the technical support
goes, which link in to how the implementation was done.
Our company offer a method of implementing MS CRM where we
work with your people to do the implementation.  These
people are then very well equipped to do the on-site
support.

The key, as always, as to look at the application, and to
compare its offerings to your requirements, and in
particular to look at upfront costs of the actual
implementation and ongoing running costs, inmcluding
ongoing training for new staff.

HTTH
Gill

0
Gill

Exception appears after changing project's directory structure (VS
Hi, Problem synopsis: I've recently tried to reorganize our project, by dividing our files into various directories, instead of them all lying at the top-level directory. After changing the project to mimic the new structure and fixing the "Additional Include Directories" setting to point to all the new directories, the project compiles. Yet now we get an exception thrown as the program starts up. As can be seen below, it seems like the exception is thrown from CArray (which is why I posted to this group), however it might just be that the heap is out of memory, and when C...

Stock Purchases
How can I make the stock chart display the points when I bought the stock? "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:504BBD54-088D-4F17-BF64-CA30478157D2@microsoft.com... > How can I make the stock chart display the points when I bought the stock? Short version: A few weeks after you buy the stock, you have to delete the online price for that day in the manual price update list, and edit the buy transaction in the investment register so that it creates a "Buy" entry in the manual price update list. If you try to do this too soon a...

Web Part Calendar Option
I added the calendar option to the web part in SharePoint 2007 as a right hand side web part. Does anyone know how to adjust the size? The Calendar is so large. I am looking to reduce the size. You can't. You need to use a third party calendar web part solution. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "Alaska1" <Alaska1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8822FBA-819C-4B7D-A4F6-C6C032CD39C9@microsoft.com... > I added the calendar option to the web part in SharePoint 2007 as a right > hand side web...

Outlook Web Access problem
I can=B4t create new message in OWA. The messages window is=20 greymarked and unable to write in. Running Win 2000 and=20 Office 2000 with IE 6.0 ...

Live Chat: Purchasing
The transcript for the Purchasing chat is now available here: http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/using/chats/0801POs.mspx Our thanks to all of the chat participants and experts. You can find additional chat transcripts, announcements of upcoming chats and events, and helpful articles—including the latest installments in our Inventory Management Series—on the "Using Microsoft Dynamics" site: http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/using/chats/0801POs.mspx -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and it confers no rights. Corrected second link below: &...

Events on Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2003
For some reason, Excel 2000 does not generate a SheetChange event when you insert a column or row. The same operation in Excel 2003 fires the SheetChange event. Anyone else seen this behavior or have any insight to this? Thanks in advance for any info. Roy ...

Visio Shapes for Web Diagram
I have just installed Vision 2003 and trying to create diagram for my upcoming project involving J2EE with web pages and BPEL flows. I was intending to use the 'Web Diagram' shape which I saw on my colleagues PC which has Visio 2002 installed. But I do not seem to find it with the version (2003) I have just installed. Any reasons or how I can get that ? web diagramming is included in the professional version. http://www.microsoft.com/office/visio/prodinfo/diagramtypes.mspx#EUPAE "Nachuri" <Nachuri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD061C57-C4F...

EmailXaminer vs EmailXtender from LEGATO Systems, Inc.
Hi, does anyone use the above products from LEGATO in their MS Exchange messaging environment? From the descriptions, those 2 products seem to offer the identical functionalities which causes a lot of confusion for me. My goals are to make all inbound & outbound mail for my entire organization (MS Exchange 5.5) and Instant Message (IM) to be SEC compliant. My questions: 1/ which product should I choose? Or do I need both of them? (which I don't believe so). 2/ Do you know any other third-party software that can be used to achieve my goal. Your inputs are greatly apprec...

Segregation of Duties (Financial , Purchasing)
I'm interested in locating some kind of documentation that will show me what specific permissioning is involved in Advanced Security for segregation of duties. For example, only Class A can only approve and post transactions while Class B approves. What specific permissions do I select for Class A and what specific permissions do I select for Class B in Advanced Security? I'm unable to find doco that shows me what each permission achieves. Thanks! Hi Maatthias, Out of the box Advanced Secuirty does not have any SOD information. Feel free to contact me with any specific que...

Problems porting application from VS6 to VS.NET
This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text, while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools. ---559023410-851401618-1090937522=:25951 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: QUOTED-PRINTABLE Hello. I am experiencing problems with my application when I try to=20 compile it with Visual C++ .NET. It consists of a main program which loads an MFC extension DLL with its=20 own dialog box and some ActiveX controls. The program runs without errors when compiled with VC++ 6.0. There appeared to...

Form Controls vs VBA controls
I am new to VBA so just finding my feet, can anyone help me with th differences between an excel control (i.e. one from the form toolbox lets say a checkBox and a vba checkBox? From trying the two controls the I have noticed is that you canno capture the change event of the VBA checkbox in the code module, it ha to be done via the sheet (i.e. checkbox on sheet1, code goes in chang event on sheet1) the control is placed on, is this correct? What woul you do if you have three sheets with the same controls just differen data, do you really have to code the control 3 times? The excel control ho...

How to Link Purchase Invoice with Purchase Receipts
Hi, We are using Great Plains 6.0. I am trying to generate report to link Purchase Invoice with Multiple Purchase Receipt.I am using Crystal Report/Business Objects to make this report. I have used the following tables 1. PM30200 (PM Paid Transaction History File) 2. POP30300 (Purchase Receipt History) 3. POP30310 (Purchase Receipt Line History) I have created two view tables by joining these tables. A. PM30200.DOCNMBR = POP30300.VNDDOCNM AND PM30200.VENDORID = POP30300.VENDORID AND PM30200.DOCTYPE=1 AND (PM30200.BCHSORCE IN ('Rcvg Trx Ivc','Rcvg Trx Entry'...

2 virtual machines connecting on Host
Hey, For my evening school we need to setup a lab. Lab: 1 hostmachine, 2 Virtual Machines, VM1: Server 2008 , VM2: Windows 7 Pro VM1: Has 2 nic's. the Wlan connects to the internet , the rj45 connection connects the lan. VM2: 1 nic for lan connection (RJ45) The server is configuared as Domain Controller. with Dns and Dhcp for the clients. it's not possible to join my client win 7 to add to the domain. my server has an IP 192.168.20.1 DHCP is authorize in AD. I've put the client manual in AD. When i now join the client to the domain i'll get a...

Purchase order enhancements #3
The functional and originating totals display the same amount (when using multicurrency) in the Purchase Order Enhancements Entry window What release? What Service Pack? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Ben" wrote: > The functional and originating totals display the same amount (when using > multicurrency) in the Purchase Order Enhancements Entry window GP 9 service pack 1. for some reason though the gp version is 9.00.0267 and according to the service pack documentation it should be 9...

API for UNICODE vs WC
Hi All, I have been coding in UNICODE in VC6.0 for long time. The Wide Char (TCHAR) is only 16 bits long, which can support a maximum 65536 characters. But in fact Unicode has much more than 65536 characters. Office XP is able to support more than that. So I believe there must be set of new API for unicodes. Can anyone tell me where can I start looking at? TIA <ckkwan@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:1158630583.842738.30480@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi All, > > I have been coding in UNICODE in VC6.0 for long time. > > The Wide Char (TCHAR) is only 16 bit...

dlls
Can someone tell me the difference between an extension MFC dell and a regular MFC dll? I need to create a dll that is essentially a passthrough to another dll and give it a simplier interface (EXTERN "C" & _cdecl) rather than the ms dllexport type. I have tried making several dll's with various options and while they compile ok and depends.exe likes them fine, when I try to link to them I get that it is an invalid file. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks If your dll is going to be used strictly by a MFC module, you should typically make a MFC Extension DLL. When you mak...

Web Query #4
Thank you in advance for any help provided to the subject question. I am operating Excel 2003. A data query has been established to pull investment data from finance.yahoo.com (i.e. stock volume, % ownership of management, etc.). The query works fine and pulls approximately 50 values from the webpage. My questions is this: If I have a list of 100 stock symbols how can I link that list to the web based data query to automatically insert each symbol into the data query individually and then dump that data automatically to another worksheet within the same workbook. Should I use a ma...

Using Integration Manager for Purchase Orders
It's possible that this question is entirely obvious, but I can't figure it out, so I'll apologize in advance. I'm trying to find a way to import Purchase Orders into Great Plains using Integration Manager and XML files. I've setup the XML Source Adapter to my liking, but as I look at the destination options, I only see SQL Opt 8.0 - Purchase Order. The way I understand it, this is writing the info directly to tables without employing any of the Great Plains business logic. Why is there no Purchase Order Option under the standard Great Plains 8.0 Adapters? Perhaps it&...

bulk purchase
Hi how should I set up Rms to handle this? the customer purchases bulk celphone phone time for resale from the local cellular provider, they then resell the time to end users in smaller amounts of time. how should i handle this? -- Thanks Ian Ian, RMS will not track an item beyond the sale. If you are wanting to track the phone cards that the enduser purchases from your cusotmer it won't do that. We might be able to come up with some other suggestions for you. If you would like to give me a call I would be happy to discuss the situation with you. Daniel techs1@nurol.com Tech Sup...

Product Key and Purchased New Office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I too had the problem with not having a valid product key. I restored an earlier version of Microsoft Office (12.1.9) from Time Machine and purchased a new Office 2008. How do I enter the new product key? I'm afraid of inserting the new disk for fear of losing previous emails, settings, etc. Should I download the SP2 update again, delete the "plist" files recommended and then when setup assistant asks for the product key, enter the new product key from the one I just purchased? Does this newly purchased pro...

Set Host Name in POP3 Connector
I e-mailed this question to the list a couple of weeks ago but got no replies :-( Is their an MVP out there who can shed light on this issue? When my CEO logs into our Exchange POP3 Connector from his TREO 600 handheld, the headers display the NT Domain name as follows: Received: by OldServerName.OldCompany.com I don't really want to go through the process of renaming the domain name so I was hoping there was a way of changing just the POP3 headers? I would be happy to just change the OoldServerName' field above or the entire string. Thank you in advance!! What do you mean...

description from dimension fields needed in purchase order/item li
We originally did not attach sub descriptions on our matrix/part number because of the way the price tags would read on our merchandise. It is alot cleaner looking to have a simple description and then in the fields below to show size and color. So, it really should not be necessary to attach the dimensions to the part number. As you know with the character limitations this does not give good information anyway. So, what we really need is for the dimension fields to show in seperate colums both when we look at items and when we create purchase orders. Not having the ability to do this i...

purchase limits
Is there any way anybody can think of that i could limit the purhase of an item to 1 per customer ever? I know of the purchase limits feature - but not sure how capable it is! I want to use this for a coupon i will be emailing - so that the customer can only use it once, and not print multiple copies! Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Philip, Looks like you can use limit purchases to limit the purchase to 1 item per customer, but this will only work for 1 year. If this is acceptable to you I'd say go for it. If your coupon expired before 1 year is up you could simply make ...

Outlook Web Access #3
In Exchange 2003 OWA is enabled by default. I am looking for scalable solutions for disabling OWA but still allowing access via WebDav. My first thoughts are the Exchange features tab on the user account. Is anyone aware of any group policy templates or bulk methods for controlling these settings in bulk? I am looking at disabling OWA but allowing Mobile sync services. Not sure if this meets my objectives yet but thought I'd ask the question. Thanks Tim ...

Purchase Return Does not accept the exiting Purchase Receipt
Hi: I am trying to enter one Purchase Return with credit. Inquiry shows the PO, Receipt and Invoice documents properly. But when I go to create PO return, It accepts the PO Number, Item Number but not the Receipt Number. It is not showing it into the List even. What could be the reason. There is no knowledge base available for Purchase Return. Thanks If this particular receipt item has been sold to a customer and then returned it will not show up as available as a return to vendor - try an Inventory return with credit. Hope this helps "Naseer Ahmed Farooqi" wrote: >...