Pros and Cons of default Report Installation Services (SQL 2000)

Hello,

During the install of CRM 3.0, it give us the option to point to a reporting
services server or install a new default using SQL2000.

This is on a Small Business Server 2003 Premium R2 box and it have SQL2005
workgroup edition installed.

Which option should I use?  Should I let CRM 3.0 install it's default or
have it point to the SQL2005 for reporting services.  Since it's on the same
server, what's the pros and cons between the two options?  Is it a matter of
performance between SQL2005 and SQL2000?  Thank you for your input.

--
Regards,

Andy
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Reporting Services are fussy.. to put it lightly, but there is a document
for Installing MS CRM SBE (make sure you are using the most current
downloaded full set dated Dec 2006 or later) on SBS 2003 r2 with SQL 2005
which works you through installing the Reporting Services with SQL 2005

It can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/downloads
--
Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM
President, The Norwich Group

Written on a Lenovo T60p running VISTA Ultimate
Tracked in MS Dynamics CRM v3.0 Rollup 1, Outlook Client v3.0C (with hotfix)
Good Neighbor to Groove 2007, OneNote 2007, Office Enterprise 2007,
Autotask, LinkedIN,
TypePad and More!
"gocrm" <gocrm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> During the install of CRM 3.0, it give us the option to point to a
> reporting
> services server or install a new default using SQL2000.
>
> This is on a Small Business Server 2003 Premium R2 box and it have SQL2005
> workgroup edition installed.
>
> Which option should I use?  Should I let CRM 3.0 install it's default or
> have it point to the SQL2005 for reporting services.  Since it's on the
> same
> server, what's the pros and cons between the two options?  Is it a matter
> of
> performance between SQL2005 and SQL2000?  Thank you for your input.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Andy

0
Anne
4/10/2007 10:04:54 PM
Hi Ann,

Thank you very much for the reply.  I've tried the link but it's not listing
the CRM downloads nor the tutorial.

Basically I wanted to know if by choosing the default option during install
to allow CRM to use it's built in SQL 2000 Reporting Services, will that be
okay?  Will that be performing less than using the SQL 2005 Reporting
Services?  Is there any feature shortage when using the default CRM's option?
 Thank you.
--
Regards,

Andy

"Anne Stanton" wrote:

> Reporting Services are fussy.. to put it lightly, but there is a document
> for Installing MS CRM SBE (make sure you are using the most current
> downloaded full set dated Dec 2006 or later) on SBS 2003 r2 with SQL 2005
> which works you through installing the Reporting Services with SQL 2005
>
> It can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/downloads
> --
> Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM
> President, The Norwich Group
> Principal, GlobalBrain LLC
> The CRM Lady at www.CRMLady.com

> Written on a Lenovo T60p running VISTA Ultimate
> Tracked in MS Dynamics CRM v3.0 Rollup 1, Outlook Client v3.0C (with hotfix)
> Good Neighbor to Groove 2007, OneNote 2007, Office Enterprise 2007,
> Autotask, LinkedIN,
> TypePad and More!
> "gocrm" <gocrm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > During the install of CRM 3.0, it give us the option to point to a
> > reporting
> > services server or install a new default using SQL2000.
> >
> > This is on a Small Business Server 2003 Premium R2 box and it have SQL2005
> > workgroup edition installed.
> >
> > Which option should I use?  Should I let CRM 3.0 install it's default or
> > have it point to the SQL2005 for reporting services.  Since it's on the
> > same
> > server, what's the pros and cons between the two options?  Is it a matter
> > of
> > performance between SQL2005 and SQL2000?  Thank you for your input.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Andy

There is no difference in features that I know of.

Here is the exact link
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46d1887a-ddcd-4acb-829f-688618d91f1b&DisplayLang=en

Here is the downloads page Link
http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/downloads/default.mspx
I forgot the using folder...... :(

--

> Hi Ann,
>
> Thank you very much for the reply.  I've tried the link but it's not
> listing
> the CRM downloads nor the tutorial.
>
> Basically I wanted to know if by choosing the default option during
> install
> to allow CRM to use it's built in SQL 2000 Reporting Services, will that
> be
> okay?  Will that be performing less than using the SQL 2005 Reporting
> Services?  Is there any feature shortage when using the default CRM's
> option?
> Thank you.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Andy
>

> "Anne Stanton" wrote:
>
>> Reporting Services are fussy.. to put it lightly, but there is a document
>> for Installing MS CRM SBE (make sure you are using the most current
>> downloaded full set dated Dec 2006 or later) on SBS 2003 r2 with SQL 2005
>> which works you through installing the Reporting Services with SQL 2005
>>
>> It can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/downloads
>> --
>> Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM
>> President, The Norwich Group
>> Principal, GlobalBrain LLC
>> The CRM Lady at www.CRMLady.com
>>
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Written on a Lenovo T60p running VISTA Ultimate
>> Tracked in MS Dynamics CRM v3.0 Rollup 1, Outlook Client v3.0C (with
>> hotfix)
>> Good Neighbor to Groove 2007, OneNote 2007, Office Enterprise 2007,
>> Autotask, LinkedIN,
>> TypePad and More!
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "gocrm" <gocrm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > During the install of CRM 3.0, it give us the option to point to a
>> > reporting
>> > services server or install a new default using SQL2000.
>> >
>> > This is on a Small Business Server 2003 Premium R2 box and it have
>> > SQL2005
>> > workgroup edition installed.
>> >
>> > Which option should I use?  Should I let CRM 3.0 install it's default
>> > or
>> > have it point to the SQL2005 for reporting services.  Since it's on the
>> > same
>> > server, what's the pros and cons between the two options?  Is it a
>> > matter
>> > of
>> > performance between SQL2005 and SQL2000?  Thank you for your input.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Andy

0
Anne
4/11/2007 1:26:08 AM
Hi Anne,

Thank you very much.  I downloaded the CRM.  During the install, I clicked
on the release notes and it said September 2006 release.  Should I be at all
concerned?  I thought they have to be December 2006 release to be compatible
with SBS R2.  The download link said "Updated 12/2006".  But the release
notes indicated otherwise.
--
Regards,

Andy

"Anne Stanton" wrote:

> There is no difference in features that I know of.
>
> Here is the exact link
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=46d1887a-ddcd-4acb-829f-688618d91f1b&DisplayLang=en
>
> Here is the downloads page Link
> http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/downloads/default.mspx
> I forgot the using folder...... :(
>
> --
> Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM
> President, The Norwich Group
> Principal, GlobalBrain LLC
> The CRM Lady at www.CRMLady.com

> Written on a Lenovo T60p running VISTA Ultimate
> Tracked in MS Dynamics CRM v3.0 Rollup 1, Outlook Client v3.0C (with hotfix)
> Good Neighbor to Groove 2007, OneNote 2007, Office Enterprise 2007,
> Autotask, LinkedIN,
> TypePad and More!
> "gocrm" <gocrm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Ann,
> >
> > Thank you very much for the reply.  I've tried the link but it's not
> > listing
> > the CRM downloads nor the tutorial.
> >
> > Basically I wanted to know if by choosing the default option during
> > install
> > to allow CRM to use it's built in SQL 2000 Reporting Services, will that
> > be
> > okay?  Will that be performing less than using the SQL 2005 Reporting
> > Services?  Is there any feature shortage when using the default CRM's
> > option?
> > Thank you.
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Andy
> >

> > "Anne Stanton" wrote:
> >
> >> Reporting Services are fussy.. to put it lightly, but there is a document
> >> for Installing MS CRM SBE (make sure you are using the most current
> >> downloaded full set dated Dec 2006 or later) on SBS 2003 r2 with SQL 2005
> >> which works you through installing the Reporting Services with SQL 2005
> >>
> >> It can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/downloads
> >> --
> >> Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM
> >> President, The Norwich Group
> >> Principal, GlobalBrain LLC
> >> The CRM Lady at www.CRMLady.com
> >>
> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> Written on a Lenovo T60p running VISTA Ultimate
> >> Tracked in MS Dynamics CRM v3.0 Rollup 1, Outlook Client v3.0C (with
> >> hotfix)
> >> Good Neighbor to Groove 2007, OneNote 2007, Office Enterprise 2007,
> >> Autotask, LinkedIN,
> >> TypePad and More!
> >> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> "gocrm" <gocrm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Text field designed same on Graphical report as on Text report
Would like Text fields to be designed the same when printed on a Graphical report versus when printed on a Text report. For example, on a Text report they grow as needed depending on the size of the note. On a Graphical report, you need to make the text field as big as your largest note. Then when you print the Graphical report for a smaller note, there is a lot of unused white space on the report. ...

Setting Default Search Folders in Advanced Find
Each time i use the advanced find to search for related messages it searches the Inbox, Sent Items and Mailbox folders by default. Is there any way to change this default setting? i'd like to have it only search the inbox and sent items folders unless i tell it otherwise. Which version of Outlook are you using? Advanced Find will only look in your currently selected folder by default. In Outlook 2003 and previous it also included your subfolders of that folder by default. Since Outlook 2007, this default has changed and will not include any subfolders unless you configure i...

Changind Default Number Format
The Default/Standard Number Format is Decimal Places (2) and no 100 separator selected. How can these be changed so that the default becomes Decimal Places (0 and 1000 separator selected for all future Excel sessions? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The default format is set under Format/Style/Normal -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Thank you BrianB. I tried it and it worked.However, it seems that the Format/Style/Norma is restricted to the specific workbook when it is modified. Is it possible to have similar format for all workbooks or is this...

Anyone have Excel template to report call center volume?
I couldn't find a template on Microsoft site, but I know there's bound to be one for call center tracking/reporting. ...

Money won't run after installing MS Streets and Trips 2009
I just upgraded my version of Streets & Trips by downloading/installing the 60-day trial version. After doing this, I can't get MS Money to load properly. When I start the program, the "Microsoft Money Online Services Policy" dialog box appears, I click "Accept", then get an error dialog that states: "Money was unable to load the registration library (dll)". There is no specific filename given. Any suggestions? In microsoft.public.money, DanL wrote: >I just upgraded my version of Streets & Trips by downloading/installing the >60-day...

Archive Data
I am using MSMoney 04 and I will have to upgrade soon. My current file is large (4 disks to backup). What are the Pros and Cons of using Money's Archive feature? How will it affect upgrading? How will it affect reports? Such as Net Worth Over Time? Having tried archiving, there are no pros and many cons. It basically does not work as you probably expect. Not much reduction in file size and no speed gain. There is absolutely no reason to archive that I can find and I certainly would not consider it. And archiving destroys your ability to access old data in reports. Don't k...

Setting default to Imap Folder
My boss uses an IMAP account in Outlook. I would like to have this folder set as the default upon starting outlook, but only the standard local folders (i.e. inbox, calander, etc) are available as options under Options/Other/Advanced Options/Startup in this folder. Is there a way to set the imap account folder as the startup? The ability to do this was added in Outlook 2003, but is not available in earlier versions. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Bahjah" <someone@somewhere.com&g...

crystal report printing problem
Help! I have a W2k CRM1.2 environment that I have created a custom quote report following Mr. yourshaws document. The report opens and displays correctly, but when I click the print button, it errors with "Information is needed before this report can be processed. I have found KB862881 which tells to have both the save server address and connect to local computer unchecked, but when I do and, I receive an error when the report tries to open. It looks if neither boxes are checked, it defaults to connect to local computer. To get the report to at least display, I have to check the save...

download problem to Microsoft Money 2000
I have been having a problem downloading to Microsoft Money from my financial instituttion. This problem just started. Thanks, Robert Murphy If you want help and are not just bragging, you probably need to provide lots more information and, maybe, try a question. Examples of information: what versions of Money and operating system, how connected to net, what error messages you are getting, what you've already tried, what changed in your environment between when this last worked and now. This is not the microsoft.public.money.psychic_troubleshooting newsgroup. "Robert Murphy&q...

Mercury Pay and other Merchant Services
Does anyone use someone besides Mercury Pay Systems. I am interested in changing from MPS and I am looking for a compatible system. Several vendors I have talked to all increase their prices when I say I use RMS. What gives with that? David Just curious why do you want to change? "David Parrish" <david.parrish@vino100-lakeway.com> wrote in message news:OAStUz8QGHA.792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Does anyone use someone besides Mercury Pay Systems. > > I am interested in changing from MPS and I am looking for a compatible > system. Several vendors I hav...

Unbound memo default text font
An unbound memo field is completed by the 'zoom' popup. The default font is set for 8. Is the default adjustable to a different font size? How? Manually setting it everytime with the 'font' button is a headache. The text is too small to be readable at the screen res., which cannot be changed. Nick First, there is no such thing as an "unbound memo field!" Memo fields (like all fields) are only defined in tables, and hence have to be bound. The control that hold memo fields on forms are textboxes, and I assume this is what you're referring to. To set...

Modified Report
How can I share Modified Report between different companies that we have in MSGP enterprise? For example, we modified the layout of our invoice in company A. If I want to use that modifed invoice in company B, what do I need to do? Please advise. Thank you very much. Reports modifications are system wide, just change the security settings for the appropriate users in the other company to use the modified report. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant MBS Services - Asia Pacific Microsoft Business Solutions http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions mailto:dmusgrav@onli...

determine if service pack 1 is installed
Hello, I have Small Business Server 2003 standard edition. How can I determine if service pack 1 was installed on Exchange 2003. Thank you. Joey Open the properties for the server in Exchange System Manager and you should see it listed on the General tab. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1d8fe01c45487$4a295f40$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > I have Small Business Server 2003 standard edition. How > can I determine if service pack 1 was installed ...

Slow restarts after exchange install
Before exchange was installed, a server reboot took about 5 minutes. After exchange was installed the restart can take as long as twenty minutes. The server appears to hang on the "windows is shutting down" message. Drive activity during this period is non existent. No messages in the event viewer. I created a batch file to shutdown the exchange services before I restart. This helps by about 3 minutes. Any ideas? Windows server 2003 enterprise Exchange 2003 Dual P4 2.8 Ghz 4 Gbyte RAM 5 72 Gbyte SCSI Drives (RAID 5) Is this server a DC? If so, this is expected behavior. Shu...

Default font in 2007?
I'm looking to change the defaut font in Word 2007. I imagine it is under Word Options but I can't seem to find it. Help please. Bob Click the little arrow bottom right of the Font group on the Home tab. Select the font and click the default button. Make sure that you save the normal template when prompted on exit. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><&l...

cell format default
I am using Excel 2003 and the default cell format on every Excel file is General of course. I want to change it to a different format as defualt whenever I open Excel. Is there a way to do this? I cannot find this anywhere Select all cells, change it to the format you want. Do this for each sheet. Save the workbook as Book.Xlt and give it the file type of Template (do this part first), and save it in the XLSTART directory - usually in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\XLSTART Close the workbook. From now on, every workbook will be a copy of this. If you ever want to revert to n...

Report's
Hi everyone Iam having some problems with my data base... they are as folows. I whant to make a report with the folowing: - Sorted by day (easely done) - Sorted by week (no idea how to do this) - Sorted by Month (again... no ideas) - Sorted via a from with the user inserting the data to be filtered (no idea again). The table colums are as folow: -Week -Date -Time -Appointment -Obs Can you share some light with this? I must say iam a noob in this sort of programing and it's the agenda of my boss... so i need it to be working perfectly. ;D Ty in advance. Allen Browne has ...

Installation #2
I had to reformat my father's pc and have been downloading all the software again. I have downloaded Office 2002 again. When launching Outlook -- I receive a message stating to the fact: missing or unable to launchnet2phone32.dll It state to reload using the help and I have tried all this countless times. I still get the message. I even uninstalled to reinstall to have the same problem. How do I get the message not to load or how do I get this net2phone32.dll into the system? Do I really need this???? or is it possible to get the message to stop loading on launching outlook. My...

Investment report
In the performance report what is definition of % rate of return column and Annual % return? If I want to compare if my portfolio is doing better or worse than S&P500 return for the year then I should compare it with which column? The % rate of return is the actual percent increase during the time period. The annual % return is what that rate of return would be if it continued for 1 year. For example a 10% increase over a six month period would produce an annual return of 20%. A 10% increase over a 2 year period would produce an annual return of 5% "chocfull" wrote: ...

Autoshape defaults
Pub 2002, Win 98 Is there a way to change the default line weight when drawing lines? Everytime I draw a line, I have to go back, select that line, and change it from .75 pt to .25 pt. What a pain in the kaboose! I know we have some real whiz kids - show me your stuff! :-) -- The problem with resting on your laurels is that eventually you are sitting on dead branches. JoAnn Never mind - I just saw the command to make it the defaut. DUH!! Thank you anyway........ -- The problem with resting on your laurels is that eventually you are sitting on dead branches. JoAnn "JL_A...

Reporting Services
Does anyone know if you can install reporting services with SQL server 2000? or is SQL server 2005 required? Also I want to make reports which show on one page year on year comparisons by department, with a growth or decline %, i would like to be able to do this at department, or catagory level, and even be able to do week by week comparisons within a set date range.... I understand these are fairly complex, but has anybody any experience doing this, and is it possible!!!? There is a reporting services version for SQL 2000, but it is not included with MSDE - you need a full version of...

Setting Product Defaults
Hello, I am trying to set up defaults for the Unit of Measure and the price list within the quote and order. Our inventory is Great Plains. Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Hi Crysztl, Here is how you can set the default value for a lookup : http://niths.wordpress.com/2007/03/01/my-first-post/ HTH, Niths "crysztl" wrote: > Hello, I am trying to set up defaults for the Unit of Measure and the > price list within the quote and order. Our inventory is Great > Plains. Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated. > Thanks! > ...

Default transport
Is there a way in the registry to change the default transport from POP to exchange. I am migrating users from POP to exchange, POP is to be the primary transport until I get all users moved to Exchange. Once moved over to Exchange I will want to make Exchange the primary transport and eventually phase out the POP service. I cannot rely on the users to make this change. thanks. On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:11:23 -0800, Darren <Darren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way in the registry to change the default transport from POP to >exchange. I am migrating users fr...

i have two windows xp running on my pc and seem to con flict with
i seem to have two xp programs running on my pc . ive no idea how its happened but my pc is running hay wire as it tells me i can t do can t do that as another pc is using it. i would appreciate any help or advice you could give me. as to solving this problem.many thanks from one idiot pc user . You are probably not an 'idiot pc user', but rather you may be trying to open a file on a network drive that another user already has open. (hence the message that the file is "in use") Is this a possibility? You should have an option to open it as "read only", to be...