Products and services - Sales orders Vs. service orders

During my experience with other CRM systems, I've seen that the companies
that sell things, have products in their catalog and use some kind of
logistic order called "sales order".

On the other hand, services companies (i.e. telecommunications providers)
have services in their catalog and the business processes do not end when
the services are installed, they can be modified and/or deactivated
afterwards. So a different concept is handled here: "service orders".

I would say there are two main differences between sales orders and service
orders:

(1)    There can be different service order types (i.e. installation,
modification, deactivation), while there is just one sales order type
(sale).

(2)    The order details in a service order must be replicated to an assets
table to distinguish the order contents (and orders history) from the active
services subscribed by the customer at a moment in time. For an installation
service order, order details are inserted in the assets table; for
modification service orders, they are updated; and for deactivation service
order, assets records are deleted.

It seems Dynamics CRM has been designed for companies that sell products, so
services companies have to model their services as products (because the
ServiceAppointment entity is not enough to support the whole service sale
process -opportunity, quote, order-). We need to handle orders and to store
the current active services for each customer so the standard orders tables
are not enough for us.

Has anybody been in a similar situation? Any suggestion to model this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

0
Andreu
5/23/2007 12:01:45 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

how to use product key
I recently purchased a macintosh computer, and I have the test drive version of microsoft office. I have a product key from my other computer, but I cannot tell how to authenticate the new version. Can someone help me? Thanks! The Test Drive cannot be converted to a full version by entering a product key In fact, the Test Drive MUST be removed before installing the full version of Mac Office 2004, as otherwise it *will* cause problems. In addition, if you have the product key from a Windows Office version, the Mac Office version will not accept it. You would need to buy MacOffice 2...

Cannot start pop3 and Imap4 service
I just install a new exchange server in a new domain. and i can't start POP3 and IMAP4 service I have somme errors in the event viewer. a first message : Source : POP3SVC EventID: 1040 Description : An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange POP3 Service: the call to DwInitializeInstances() failed with error 0x64a. the second one : Source : POP3SVC EventID: 1040 Description :An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange POP3 Service: the call to IIS_SERVICE::StartServiceOperation() failed with error 0x64a. it seem to have some pb with the IIS configuration. ...

publisher 03 vs. 02
Let me just say that I have been a die-hard Mac person for 10+ years, = but=20 recently had to set up a template for a client in Publisher 2003 on a = PC, and=20 was pretty surprised that the application was not as bad as I = anticipated it=20 would be. But now, I have a bit of dilemma. I purchased the most recent version of Publisher (2003) to do this = project,=20 and my client is running several machines with Publisher 2002. When I = set=20 the first set of files to them, all appeared ok, except for a few = instances of=20 photos not appearing on pages. We assummed it was a memory issue, o...

This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service.
This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service. To view the original message content, open the attached message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original character set. <<message.txt>> Any idea's how to resolve this, can't view the message? ...

Select product in Lead and Opportunity
Hi, I would like to know if I could select the product /product type in a lead and opportunity? Thanks in advance! Opportunity - yes - you can select multiple products for opportunities. Leads - no - not out of the box. It is possible to create a custom entity called "Lead Products" (Similar to "Opportunity Product") and make it associate with the leads and products. hope this helps.. -- Manisha Powar (Madhusudanan) Program Manager Microsoft Dynamics - CRM This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for y...

Quote Product showing products not part of the Quote Price List
On the quote I pick a price list with 2 products on it and save it. I drill into Quote Product and the product lookup shows me those two products and products that are not part of that price list. What am I missing? I suspect this is by design, Bob. You might need to write a script to check if the product selected is present in the specified pricelist and display an alert, etc. HTH, Niths "Bob" wrote: > On the quote I pick a price list with 2 products on it and save it. I drill > into Quote Product and the product lookup shows me those two products and > product...

Excel Table to Individual product list and spend
Hi, Basically I have an Excel data table and I have a Product name drop down list. I want to create a formula or macro so when a Product is selected, it would output the list of companies and their spend with the product. Below is a sample but the real spreadsheet has thousands of vendor names and spend for each product and there are probably ten product names altogether. Company Product1 Product2 Product3 Product4 Total ABC 7,009 8,000 15,009 Key 805,036 805,036 PC 56,016 57,470 568 114,054 Water 3,090 651 298,250 301,991 Total 66,115 863,157 306,818 -...

communicate with MSN Services
Hi I want to communicate with MSN messenger. Actually I want to write a program (using Visual C++ 6.0 ) in which, I will give the e-mail address (e.g. name@hotmail.com) and that program will return the status of that e-mail address (whether that specific person is online or offline or away or be right back etc), so I want to access the Messaging services, and communicate with Messenger network(any version of MSN Messenger ), can you please tell me how can I do this technically, using which API or things like that ? -- Regards Najam Thanks to all i have done it with MSNP8 Protocol. ...

Vista, MS Access 2003 and MS ADO Ext 6.0 vs 2.x
I am running into an issue with MS Access 2003 installed on Vista. Apparantly in the MS ADO Ext 6.0 version either (format, round, or sum) is not in that DLL. However, when I link to v2.8 of the DLL, I don't have an issue. I am getting the following error message when running my query. "Function is not available in expressions in query expressions." Does anyone have other workarounds? I am distributing this application in an MDE format, so I was wondering if the end users may experience issues, if I link to my version of msadox.dll instead of the installed version. I tried s...

XP vs Windows 7
Hi, This isn't a specific Excel question But..., I currently own Office Professional XP. I have to buy a new machine that will have Windows 7 as the OS. Will I still be able to install my software on this new machine w/o any issues? Or will I be forced to buy a newer version? Thanks Tom "Tom" <TesnoBay@yahoo.com> wrote > I currently own Office Professional XP. I have to buy a > new machine that will have Windows 7 as the OS. > > Will I still be able to install my software on this new > machine w/o any issues? Or will I be forced to buy a ...

Filter a product look-up view (product)
Does anybody know how you can filter a product lookup view (in 3.0)? I want to be able to limit the products seen based on a business unit. I.e., we have a pool of products and 4 separate business units. Not all business units need access to all products. The idea is when you create a quote/Order etc. and choose a product, only products valid for your business unit should show up -- Jim H. ...

Reporting Services has no reports
I cannot see any reports in CRM. We're running SBS 2003 Premium R2 with CRM 3.0 running on this server. The SQL databases and reporting services are installed on a separate 2005 SQL cluster. I've checked that reporting services is running on the cluster. http://<sqlcluster>/reports brings up the SQL Reporting Services and a folder entitled "CompanyName MSCRM" which is empty. How do I determine the physical location of this folder? I've checked in deployment manager on the SBS and CRM Reporting Services is pointing to "http://sqlcluster/reportserver". Is...

GetUserProfileByName WEB service
We use GetUserProfileByName WEB service in some InfoPath form on a MOSS server. It worked but after updating SSL certificates on the front-end servers (NLB) this form gets data from users profiles from time to time. How can we troubleshoot connections to this service? -- Thank you, Alexander Please check the following and see whether it helps http://claytoncobb.wordpress.com/tag/getuserprofilebyname/ ...

Product key for different language
Just ordered a second copy of Office 2004 for Mac and with the shipment confirmation of the shop I have noticed that I have ordered the wrong language version and not the English one. As I already have a copy of the English Office 2004 I was wondering if it is possible to use the product key from the new non-english version for an installation from the english cd. In other words: can I use (technically and legally) the license which I have bought now to install a second copy of the english version or do I have to return the non-english version to swap it for the english one? I would ra...

Re Occuring appts and Service Activities
Is there a way to right a work flow rule to reschedule monthly appts and make it customer specific? Entering twelve entries for each customer we have re occuring appts for is very time consuming. Hi Deh, One on of the CRM blogs I remember reading of a work-around. The idea is to use Outlook to sync the calendar items with the CRM system. That is, create a recurring event in your Outlook calender, and selecting the option to "track" in CRM. I have not tested this though.. Chris. "deh" wrote: > Is there a way to right a work flow rule to reschedule monthly a...

Huge Internet Mail Service (server name) mailbox
Does anyone know why this mailbox would be so huge and how would you go about reducing it's size? Thanks -Greg 5.5? Apply SP4 if you havent already, take a good backup , then run ISINTEG -FIX -PRI -TEST MAILBOX On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 06:31:03 -0700, "Greg Graeff" <GregGraeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know why this mailbox would be so huge and how would you go about >reducing it's size? > >Thanks > >-Greg ...

Element order on serialization
Here's a class I'm working with public class BatchHeader { public string ScaleSite; public string FromScaleDate; public string ToScaleDate; public string SubmitterBatchID; System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(DataType="integer")] public string DocumentCount; [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(DataType="integer")] public string BatchControlTotal; public BatchHeader(ArrayList batchLoads) { string[] BatchInfo; ScaleSite = "First"; FromScaleDate ="second"; ToScaleDate = "third"; SubmitterBatchID = &qu...

Internet Services Agreement
I upgraded to Money 2006 several weeks ago and eveything was working fine. Today, a box comes up asking my to agree to an Internet Services Agreement. Whether I click on Agree of Decline, Money closes. I am running Win XP Home. Please help. ...

Dell PowerConnect 2824 vs. Cisco Catalyst 2960
Hi, I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on Dell vs. Cisco switches. A client currently has a Cisco Catalyst 2960...24 ports at only 10/100 speed (fast ethernet). I am thinking about upgrading them to a Dell PowerConnect 2824...24 port at 10/1000 (gigabit speed). Both are managed switches...but the difference in price is staggering...the Cisco switch cost about $1,200. The Dell switch, about $300.00. My recommendation for upgrading to gigabit speeds was of course met with much debate about Dell vs. Cisco differences. To be honest, I cant tell the difference between per...

purchase order #4
I am looking for a solution. I want to import purchase order from a file. But I will also like to import the retail price in purchae order. thanks Check out the TOP Import utility: http://www.retailhero.com/dynamics_rms_order_import.aspx The current version does not import prices because it was designed to be used with a data collector. However, we will consider it in the next version as this feature has been requested before. This program also requires that the items already exist in the RMS database. So, you can do it in two steps: 1. Import the items (including the price) from the...

Mapping Quote Product to Order Product to Invoice Product
Hi, I've got some custom attributes in the Quote Product, Order Product and Invoice Product to hold some extra information regarding the customer's order (customised dimensions, unique serial numbers, etc). Write-In Products isn't an option - I need to use Existing Products to make data entry easier for the sales people (follows price list automatically). The problem is, when I convert the Order to an Invoice, the information in the custom attributes of the Order Product do not get passed over to the Invoice Product. I've tried looking in the relationship section of the ...

TechNet Support WebCast: An overview of Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Sorry for the large cross-post. Just wanted to make sure any interested parties were aware of this "SP1 Overview" webcast set for tomorrow: TechNet Support WebCast: An overview of Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Wednesday, June 16, 2004: 10:00 AM Pacific time (Greenwich mean time - 7 hours) This Support WebCast session introduces Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1). It talks about the various changes that are included in SP1 and the benefits of installing SP1. The session also briefly introduces some of the Web release tools that will be released at th...

can i use bought outlook 2007 on new computer? have lost product
My previous laptop died along with the outlook 2007 that I bought 6 months ago. I have now bought a new laptop. How can I find out my product key for the outlook 2007 bought? and can i reuse it on my new computer. I bought it on-line but cannot find email or any previous activation keys. any help appreciated anon83 wrote: > My previous laptop died along with the outlook 2007 that I bought 6 months > ago. I have now bought a new laptop. How can I find out my product key for > the outlook 2007 bought? and can i reuse it on my new computer. I bought it > on-l...

Timeout value within which a Service must stop
Hi, What is the time within which a service must stop after a SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP message is received? Where is this timeout paramater specified? Is it the same for all services running on a machine? The service in question is being stopped from the services window. I am working on a Windows 2000 machine and new to windows programming. Would help if I could any information. Thanks and Regards, M Shetty <mshetty@mail.com> wrote in message news:1132058850.084285.280970@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com > What is the time within which a service must stop after a > SERVICE_CONTROL...

product and quote product
Don't quite understand difference between product and quote product entities. For example I need field supplier in the quote, the attribute is present in product, but absent in quote product. How can I add this attribute to quote product? Of course I can create new attribute, but I think it's better to use existing. Thanks. -- Alex Hi Alex, Unfortunately there is no way of mapping these attributes easily. We tightened the mappings from v1.x to v3.0 and unfortunately some of the mappings got missed - this being one of them. If this is a critical attribute and must be populate...