Performance Experiences - Single Server vs Dedicated

Hi,

Just after some feedback re: single server crm 3.0 setup vs dedicated
sql/report server & front end.

Currently I have an SQL 2005 box w/ Reporting Services containing the
metabase + mscrm databases, a separate box for the CRM Website/front-end,
then the DC + exchange server on a separate box further to that.

We've got a about 20,000 records currently in CRM 3.0. Not large by any
means - but we're finding performance for end-users either through the
Outlook Client (desktop, not laptop) or through the browser interface is
lacking.

I know MS have now released the Optimising CRM 3.0 performance whitepaper
recently and in it they recommend you separate out your SQL databases from
the Report Server. What i want to know from other CRM 3.0 administrators is
how are you finding performance where SQL/Web front end and Report Server are
all sitting on the one box (ie like a Server 2003 Small Business box) vs
separate boxes for SQL/Front-end & Report Server?

We are thinking of going for a single, high-end machine with 6GB RAM, RAID
0/1 + RAID 5 and then the only thing separate will be the AD/Org
Unit/Exchange.

Any advice and your personal experiences will be appreciated.

Nick
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I can only comment from the point of infrastructure and setup.

The less problemantic will be a single server deployment.

Here's a white paper which may be useful.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Suggested Hardware for Deployments up to 250
Concurrent Users
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E835C764-AE63-4876-87DA-786464EE7269&displaylang=en

"Nicholas Leach" <NicholasLeach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just after some feedback re: single server crm 3.0 setup vs dedicated
> sql/report server & front end.
>
> Currently I have an SQL 2005 box w/ Reporting Services containing the
> metabase + mscrm databases, a separate box for the CRM Website/front-end,
> then the DC + exchange server on a separate box further to that.
>
> We've got a about 20,000 records currently in CRM 3.0. Not large by any
> means - but we're finding performance for end-users either through the
> Outlook Client (desktop, not laptop) or through the browser interface is
> lacking.
>
> I know MS have now released the Optimising CRM 3.0 performance whitepaper
> recently and in it they recommend you separate out your SQL databases from
> the Report Server. What i want to know from other CRM 3.0 administrators
> is
> how are you finding performance where SQL/Web front end and Report Server
> are
> all sitting on the one box (ie like a Server 2003 Small Business box) vs
> separate boxes for SQL/Front-end & Report Server?
>
> We are thinking of going for a single, high-end machine with 6GB RAM, RAID
> 0/1 + RAID 5 and then the only thing separate will be the AD/Org
> Unit/Exchange.
>
> Any advice and your personal experiences will be appreciated.
>
> Nick

0
Daniel
4/12/2007 2:22:38 AM
Thanks Dnaiel - that document is very handy and also covers the RAID array
configuration.

Nick

"Daniel Tan" wrote:

> I can only comment from the point of infrastructure and setup.
>
> The less problemantic will be a single server deployment.
>
> Here's a white paper which may be useful.
>
> Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Suggested Hardware for Deployments up to 250
> Concurrent Users
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E835C764-AE63-4876-87DA-786464EE7269&displaylang=en
>

> "Nicholas Leach" <NicholasLeach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just after some feedback re: single server crm 3.0 setup vs dedicated
> > sql/report server & front end.
> >
> > Currently I have an SQL 2005 box w/ Reporting Services containing the
> > metabase + mscrm databases, a separate box for the CRM Website/front-end,
> > then the DC + exchange server on a separate box further to that.
> >
> > We've got a about 20,000 records currently in CRM 3.0. Not large by any
> > means - but we're finding performance for end-users either through the
> > Outlook Client (desktop, not laptop) or through the browser interface is
> > lacking.
> >
> > I know MS have now released the Optimising CRM 3.0 performance whitepaper
> > recently and in it they recommend you separate out your SQL databases from
> > the Report Server. What i want to know from other CRM 3.0 administrators
> > is
> > how are you finding performance where SQL/Web front end and Report Server
> > are
> > all sitting on the one box (ie like a Server 2003 Small Business box) vs
> > separate boxes for SQL/Front-end & Report Server?
> >
> > We are thinking of going for a single, high-end machine with 6GB RAM, RAID
> > 0/1 + RAID 5 and then the only thing separate will be the AD/Org
> > Unit/Exchange.
> >
> > Any advice and your personal experiences will be appreciated.
> >
> > Nick

performances
performances Hi, I am writing c++ application in vc++ 6 the application use a lot of cpu processing (math calculations), I am running the application on Win-XP, p-4 2.8 HT! What is the best way to compile my application so it will run faster? What are the best ways to write or build my application for faster running? What i the different betwine processor type Blend* inn the C/C++ tab of the project setting and the other option??? Thanks! "Dave" <dbg@012.net.il> wrote in message news:eY8jUE38EHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > performances > > Hi, > I am wr...

How do I set a default signature for all computers on the server?
I'd like to set all the computers on our server to use the same signature and formatting depending on the account name. I know how to do it for one computer, but I don't want to repeat this process for all of them. Our office uses Microsoft Exchange and Outlook 2007. Start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996585(EXCHG.80).aspx http://www.slipstick.com/addins/disclaimer.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:da...

How to sign in when LiveID server is down?
Running M2007. Keep on getting error that my password is incorrect, although it worked earlier this morning. I assume the ID server is down somehow, and I get a message that suggests I sign in without access to all online services. However, in M2007 I don't see any way of doing anything like that. In past versions there used to be a check box that said something about signing without online services, but I can't see it in M2007. Tried starting Money from a shortcut and from double clicking the .mny file, both with same login screen. Is there something I am missing? BTW, this wou...

vba macro to perform custom reporting -transpose from rows to columns
I have one workbook and two sheets 1 sheet has data for automated test scenarios that may be run up to 3 time if they don't pass on the first or second try Sheet1: TestSet Test Result reason if failed 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail x 4 fail y 4 fail z I want to create a summary report that looks like Sheet2 for the Sheet1 logs above test run1 result test run2 result test run 3result Sheet2 Testset result1 result2 result3 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail fail fail So if a testset is executed more ...

convert lookup column from access to sql server express
I created a database and front end in access 2007. I am trying to migrate to sql server express 2005 with the same access front end. There is a lookup column in access 2007 database that I am going to replace with a lookup table and a relation table between the main table and the lookup table to hold the multiple links between them. I have a form that at the moment works well with the lookup column for obvious reasons (you get the list of available values along with the selected values for this particular record) I need to try to recreate this behavior somehow with the SQL ...

two exchange servers on the same domain
Hi, I am ruuning windows 2003 server and Exchange 2003 server. I want to have two exchange servers (Mail1 and Mail2) on the same domain. My current status is as follows: I have one domain: mygreendomain.com and I have one exchange server (Mail1). I want to do the following: on the same domain (mygreendomain.com) I want to add another exchange server and I want to call it (Mail2). How do I do this ?? thanks for any help in advance.. install the new server...you need only to specify that it is installed in the same Administrative and Routing groups...and I believe the default is...

save e-mail on server
Everytime I sign on to check my e-mail I have discovered the "advanced" setting to save my e-mail for 60 days on the server is turned off. How do I get this setting to permanently stay activated? Hard to say without any configuration details and what exactly you did where. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Irish Travelor" <Irish Travelor@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Entourage / Exchange Server
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3227010817_5020178 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit I work out of a small office (4 Mac computers total) and we all have Entourage/Office 2004. If we install an exchange server, can we set up Entourage so that each person is able to access each other�s calendar�s and contacts. So for instance, if I need to add an item on to someone�s calendar, I can just open it up and check. --B_3227010817...

KB for Performance Optimizer trouble
In the process of moving EDB files from a crashed server to a new server built with same name, etc, but different platform (from NT to W2K Sp4) I found the Performance Optimizer would not allow me to move files to different volumes. A quick google search showed because of SP4 I needed to contact Microsoft for the patch but when I called they said I needed the KB article and I searched and searched and even none of the 'MVP' replies saying 'contact microsoft' had the KB number. After having the MS rep hold the line while I was scouring google and retrying the process to get the ...

Business Contact Manager, performance sacrifices?
I'm hoping we can all learn a little about Business Contact Manager... After some initial difficulties that were resolved by 1.5 hours with Microsoft and some great ideas from Patricia Cardoza's new book, I've got Business Contact Manager running smoothly. That's a good thing because I provide support and training in Outlook to clients and want to be able to recommend this new add-on. But is it ready to recommend? Here are two things that seriously bother me: my contacts take so much longer to load and sort. Searching from the "Find a Contact" box formerly t...

XP connection to Win2003 servers on old NT4 domain
This is more an NT4 domain question than an XP one, but perhaps some folks here still remember their NT domain days - or know of other groups where those old timers still reside: Here's the issue: I have a single network split between two buildings 3 miles apart - and connected by a T1 line (very Mickey Mouse.) Half of the network - xx.xx.xx.1-128 - is in one building and the rest - xx.xx.xx.129-255 is in the other. I'm thinking that the NT 4.0 BDC in the one building is not talking correctly to the PDC in the other - although I am assured by my higher ups that everyt...

E2K3 Performance
My E2K3 server is having an occasional lag time in processing and would like some ideas on where to look at improving performance. 2.4 Xeon processor 1.3 Gb RAM Lot's of disk space Page Files are c: 1920 - 4096 and d: the same (seems incorrect, maybe should be static value?) When checking the running system, CPU is at 4% and pagefile is at 1.64 Gb. It's a low use server, less than 100 mailboxes and a backend to OWA out front. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks. ...

where to change 'From' address on exchange 2003 (small business server)
hello, I setup a sbs2003 and it's working fine, but I'd like to change the 'From' name that shows up when we send mail out. The mail address is fine, we just want to change the name part. where do I change that? Thanks, Oskar On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 19:15:12 -0600, pheonix1t <nothing@nothing.gone> wrote: >hello, >I setup a sbs2003 and it's working fine, but I'd like to change the >'From' name that shows up when we send mail out. The mail address is >fine, we just want to change the name part. >where do I change that? > >Thanks, &...

Server NULL
We are just transitioning to Office 2003. Everytime we open Outlook 2003 we get a Connection Details box with the Server Name: NULL; Port: 3268; User Name: NULL. Why? How can we stop it? ...

help needed -- how do I delete all mails on the server for a user
Can somebody tell me how I(as administrator) can completely delete all (undownloaded) remaining email messages OR specific email message on the Exchange Server for a particular user thanks in advance ...

SOAP Server Application Faulted 05-13-04

Removing an Exchange server???
I have three sites each having an exchange server...One of the sites is being removed...Is there a good way to remove exchange on that server? All three are in one domain and this server was not the first in the site... "Bert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have three sites each having an exchange server...One of >the sites is being removed...Is there a good way to remove >exchange on that server? All three are in one domain and >this server was not the first in the site... In 5.5 you can simply remove the directory replication and site c...

Perform function...if?
Hi I have a workbook that I'm continually adding data to daily. and I also have another workbook that I want to perform calculations, but I only want the calculations performed IF there is data in the first workbook... Here are the two formulas the way they are now... ='Stock Return Data'!J24*0.25 ='Stock Return Data'!J24-'Tax Data'!A14 How can I tell both these functions, to only perform if there is data on the original worksheet? Thanks, Confused Man Hi try =IF('Stock Return Data'!J24<>"",'Stock Return Data'!J24*0.25,"&...

how to restore deleted email messages back to the server
hi guys. i have a very big problem and i have to fix it before it is noticed. I just set up windows mail and i forgot to set it NOT to delete the messages from the server, so it downloaded all the email messages and cleared the server completely! How can i restore the emails back to the server????? It's going to be noticed. The only way to put them back on the server is to forward them to yourself. That will get them there, but the message headers will be changed. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Kheme" <Khe...

Check Names = "Exchange Server computer is busy..."
Here's what I got: Active Directory on Server 2003 1 Domain Controller also running DNS and WINS No other DNS or WINS servers (I know, I know) Static IP Addresses...NO DHCP Exchange Server 2003 on a member server Client running W2K SP4 Outlook 2000 SP3 Exchange has 4 mailboxes set, but nobody is using it. I'm still testing things out. When I try to connect to Exchange via my Outlook 2000, I get the following message: "The function cannot be performed because the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is busy. Try again later" I've tried it from 3 different client comp...

Anybody experience XPath anxiety?

OUTLOOK ON NT SERVER
Anyone know where the .pst file is located at on NT SERVER? Tim's advice was sound; do a Start | Find | Files or Folders and search for *.PST. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "jamie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03fb01c3a4aa$e9db6110$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Anyone know where the .pst file is located at on NT > SERVER? ...

Writing user friendly error message in Access for specific SQL Server table error
Hello, I have several forms using data stored in SQL Server tables. When a user enters duplicate information, I get the Access error message that says (correctly) "The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate values...etc.". I would like this message to say "The contact information you entered already exists. Please choose this contact from the contact list and add or modify information as needed." I am not using OnError to do this because if there is another problem that causes an error message to occur, I don...

Outlook 2003 can't access Exchange Server 2000
After updating windows the week of October 9, Outlook 2003 won't connect to our server. It will not resolve the mailbox/name of the client. All of the outlook 2002 still work and we can access the account through the other clients but not through the windows xp client with Outlook 2003 installed. Everything worked fine up until last week. Thanks in advance for any help. Gary ...

Sql Server installation errors
Hi, Pls. tell me the diffenert errors and there solutions when we install sql server 2005 ,and interview question with solution regarding installation of sql server 2005. I m waiting for your reply. Thanks & Regards Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Visual Studio .NET 2005 - Unit Tests http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/10afa363-2697-401e-b333-d9cb7032fc99/visual-studio-net-2005-.aspx Hi http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49117 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165727(SQL.90).aspx <Rajee...