new database location question

I am looking into moving our CRM database to a more powerful server in
the same domain. When I read through the disaster recovery on how to
restore the CRM databases, one of the steps is to restore the master
DB. Do I have to back the master database up on the old server, and
restore it on my fresh install of SQL Server? I guess the same question
goes for the msdb database.

0
Jeremy
1/28/2005 6:14:23 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Well, I moved my databases and I can see my data no problem. The next
question is how do I re-enable replication? The implementation guide
says that just pointing CRM at the new server will enable it, but when
I look in nterprise Manager, I dont see the shared hand like I did on
the other database. Going offline in SFO fails. Any ideas?

0
Jeremy
1/29/2005 1:06:52 AM
Hey CRM Gurus,
I found some previous messages with links to microsoft about this
problem, but those links seems to have moved.
The error I am getting is "Metadata cache error" I know that
replication is not turned on in the database. Some of the other
articles refer to CRM version 1.0 and I am afraid to try those steps in
our 1.2 installation. Does anyone know the answer to this? I would
really like to get this solved before start of business Monday, or I
will have to repoint CRM back to the crappy server until I can solve
this.

0
Jeremy
1/29/2005 8:30:03 PM
Jeremy,

Did you ever find a solution to this?  I'm stuck with the "Metadata cache
error".

***WARNING TO OTHERS***
DO NOT ATTEMPT THE SIMPLE TASK OF MOVING THE DATABASE FROM ONE EXISTING SQL
SERVER TO ANOTHER.  THIS WILL BREAK SFO SYNCHRONIZATION WITHOUT KNOWN REMEDY.

"Jeremy" wrote:

> Hey CRM Gurus,
> I found some previous messages with links to microsoft about this
> problem, but those links seems to have moved.
> The error I am getting is "Metadata cache error" I know that
> replication is not turned on in the database. Some of the other
> articles refer to CRM version 1.0 and I am afraid to try those steps in
> our 1.2 installation. Does anyone know the answer to this? I would
> really like to get this solved before start of business Monday, or I
> will have to repoint CRM back to the crappy server until I can solve
> this.

Hi,

can you provide some more information about what you did before you got that
error? Is the CRM System working fine when accessing via IE?

If you have replication turned off, you should re-create it using the
Deployment Manager. And I think every Outlook-Client has to be re-installed
to connect to the right database.

HTH
    Michael

"orzo" <orzo@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Jeremy,
>
> Did you ever find a solution to this?  I'm stuck with the "Metadata cache
> error".
>
> ***WARNING TO OTHERS***
> DO NOT ATTEMPT THE SIMPLE TASK OF MOVING THE DATABASE FROM ONE EXISTING
> SQL
> SERVER TO ANOTHER.  THIS WILL BREAK SFO SYNCHRONIZATION WITHOUT KNOWN
> REMEDY.
>
> "Jeremy" wrote:
>
>> Hey CRM Gurus,
>> I found some previous messages with links to microsoft about this
>> problem, but those links seems to have moved.
>> The error I am getting is "Metadata cache error" I know that
>> replication is not turned on in the database. Some of the other
>> articles refer to CRM version 1.0 and I am afraid to try those steps in
>> our 1.2 installation. Does anyone know the answer to this? I would
>> really like to get this solved before start of business Monday, or I
>> will have to repoint CRM back to the crappy server until I can solve
>> this.

0
Michael
4/28/2005 2:57:51 PM
Yeah, I did end up fixing it, but not in any sort of methodical manner
:)
This was a couple of months ago, so I am having a hard remembering
exactly what I did to fix it. One of the things I did was script the
replication things, then run that script against the new database. Then
I had to disable replication on the old server. I am not sure exactly
what I did, but some combination of things worked. I did not have to
reinstall all of my clients. Sorry I can't be of more help.

0
Jeremy
4/29/2005 7:30:59 PM
Hmm... if you can remember the combinations and help.  Pls
Venkat Bendalam

"Jeremy" wrote:

> Yeah, I did end up fixing it, but not in any sort of methodical manner
> :)
> This was a couple of months ago, so I am having a hard remembering
> exactly what I did to fix it. One of the things I did was script the
> replication things, then run that script against the new database. Then
> I had to disable replication on the old server. I am not sure exactly
> what I did, but some combination of things worked. I did not have to
> reinstall all of my clients. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Default properties for new folders

I used "save as" but now can't locate original file
I was using a file (November), changed the data, clicked "save as" (December. Now, November is the same as December. Any possibility there's a temp file of November anywhere? Book I believe you have not done as you describe. If you had a previously saved November workbook open and made some changes then File>Save As and named it December, November workbook will still be on your computer in its previous state. Unless you saved it as November with the changes. From where did you open November workbook? It will still be there. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 1...

How do I get mail which arrives in Outlook in an Access database
Hi all. In a database which I'm going to create I need to get mail which users send into a Outlook mailbox. I have read that this is easy in Access 2007 - but how do I do it in 2003? It is very fine if the Access 2003 database can import the mail automatically from the Outlook mail box - or do the mail need to go through an Outlook mail box? Can the users send it directly to the Access database? Hoping you can give me some words. Thank you very much in advance. Jo ...

New Email Messages

Deleting databases and starting again...
Hi, Just wondering whether it is possible to 'cleanse' the databases and start with a blank company, WITHOUT reinstalling the entire solution. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Cheers Chris only if you had backed up the databases before you started adding to it etc "Chris Ericoli" <cericoli@famill.com.au> wrote in message news:e3wjxtrlDHA.2456@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Just wondering whether it is possible to 'cleanse' the databases and start > with a blank company, WITHOUT reinstalling the entire solution. > >...

ChartLabeler Question??
I have been using the ChartLabeler from appspro.com that by the way it is fantastic!!!!!!. in all my charts to add difference kind of labels However, I have noticed that every time I have new data to load in my chart the chartlabeler does not update automatically the new points loaded in the graph. I have more than 30 graphs in this file and I have to add the label again to each graph to get the new point with the label. Do you know if there is any way to automate this chartlabeler? I will appreciate you helping with this matter. Maperalia ...

New Location/New setup

Database-design question
I'm designing a database which tracks people's experience and preference for working abroad. People apply at least for one or more categories of jobs and sometimes they also have preferences for certain countries for those categories. I'm thinking about the following many-table for preferences: ID_preference ID_person ID_category ID_country Btw: If they change their preferences I don't need to keep the former preferences. For experience and current or future workplace I'm thinking about a table like: ID_experience ID_person ID_category ID_country Da...

How do I activate the new mail button

Style available all sheets new or old

Named Range Question
If naming a range, Excel 2003 and 2007, I usually clcik the Name box, type the name and press Enter. I then select the name from the Name box drop-down Someone just noticed that if you use GoTo to select the named range, after the first or second time in doing this, and absolute reference to a cell not within the named range is also present in the GoTo dialog box. I have never seen this before.Can some please explain why the reference to the unrelated cell. This is the "go back to cell" You are in B5 and use GoTo to move to cell named Total Now you move to H1 and call up Go...

Adding new pages

Front End Services Question
I was going through one of my books and came across advise that Exchange Management, MTA Stack, and Routing Engine should be set to disabled on then front end server. I had never heard of this. Has anyone else? Fred T2 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3SecHardGuide/e466094f-c287-4498-aa2b-8845d107f8f3.mspx -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------- "FredT2" <Fredt2@mail.com> wrote in message news:%23OJ5hSZAGHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I was going through one of m...

New messages comes up in Deleted folder

New User has admin rights

Creating new row in other table
Dear All, Please teach me, how to make a new row/list in other table by entering number in other table. Sample, In the table A and in the field "Details", I put the number 2 and it automatically creates two rows in table B. Can this be done in MS Access? Thank you for your help. Regards, Maulwy Why? What business need are you attempting to solve with this approach? It's generally considered not very good database design to be creating 'empty' rows in a second table. Why do you want empty rows? And if the number you enter in TableA is a 'limit&...

AP
What would be the best tool to add a new field in the AP invoice screen to deploy to a client? Extender? Modifier? the ideal would be to add a field for "Job No." that is text info so the user can get some info out on certain jobs that they are paying bills for. thanks -- Linda W. Linda, You can use any tool, really, to accomplish this: - Modifier with VBA. You can add the fields to the window with Modifier, then use VBA and ADO or DUOS to store and retrieve the data. - Modifier with Dexterity. You can add the fields with Modifier, then trigger off the form with Dex...

Equation Layout Question
Can someone make a suggestion where I can post this question please. It has to do with equation layout in Word 2010. Please see the screen shot url below: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4Fz7Um3aXFY/S6kQVJpdZwI/AAAAAAAAARU/1T14idbS1Is/s800/equation1.JPG The Unicode medium shade character in the Microsoft Word 2010 Equation Editor seems to have the effect of making the integral sign larger. I am sure there is more going on than just that, but I am not sure what. Is there a more specialized place where I can post this question. Thank you. Try posting one question to several groups rat...