New button on CRM form/page

Hello everyone,

We have a client wanting us to add a button to the
Account and perhaps Contact forms which will then launch
an

api or dll (written by a third party).

I am new to CRM so am asking as to the feasibility of
doing this and perhaps a starting point (e.g. reading

material).

Also, I understand accessing the CRM SQL tables directly
is a MAJOR NO NO. Is there an approved way to DISPLAY

ONLY 4-5 fields from say the Contact table in another
app? Would a custom buit view be ok? I know there are

third party packages like SCRIBE which provide safe ways
to the data, but this retrieve needs to be somewhat

dynamic.

Any assistance would be most appreciated!!!

Many thanks,
Rachel
0
anonymous (74719)
3/2/2005 3:15:09 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Buttons can be added to the forms and they will open a web page in a new window.
That page can be built to do whtever you need it to do.  For more information,
refere to the SDK:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/CrmSdk1_2/htm/v1d2microsoftcrmversion12sdk.asp

As for "retrieving" data, if it is truly only for display, then you are safe
going against the tabels directly.  Just don't update directly unless you really
have a good reason and are willing to live with the risk of causing an issue
with the security descriptor.  Scribe would really not help with this as it is
geared more towards integration, not data dispaly.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:15:09 -0800, "Rachel"

[...]

Matt
3/2/2005 5:06:47 AM
Thanks Matt, that is a great help.

In my testing to date I have had to manually trigger a
rule to call my new webpage to run some code.
I understand these can also be triggered by events such
as data being saved or changed but I have not discovered
a way to use a customised button to call the page.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
Rachel

0
Rachel
3/2/2005 7:58:50 PM
You can add code that can be run either via workflow as a PostURL action or
through a PostCallout.  Hoever, neither of these can be considered a "page" as
their is no user interface that they can send a response to.  They are
background tasks that give you a hook for code.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:58:50 -0800, "Rachel"

Thanks Matt, that is a great help.

In my testing to date I have had to manually trigger a
rule to call my new webpage to run some code.
I understand these can also be triggered by events such
as data being saved or changed but I have not discovered
a way to use a customised button to call the page.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
Rachel

0
Matt

CRM is broke
I have recently reinstall crm and I have huge problem. I have no way to administer the server. When I open the deployment manager, all I have is the license manager. No Server Manager, No User manager NOTHING. I need some help in resolving this issue. I got that too, but only when I logged on as a user (me) who wasn't the one who installed CRM. I was guessing that it could be related to me not being domain admin or something. I've gone through the e-Learning courses and the chapter on the Deployment manager just mentions: There are a couple of prerequisites to using Deploymen...

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Letterhead invoice form
I have scanned a company invoice form to an Excel spreadsheet. The automatic format is a picture and I have made it transparent. I'm having trouble lining it up with the grid, getting the bottom part of the form to line up with the very bottom of the spreadsheet and it won't allow me to add data to the rows or cells. I have invoices set up to print on the blank stationary which line up just fine. However, I am trying to minimize the use of my personal printer. To use one of our large copiers for printing, I need the letterhead information to print. Too many use this copier...

Dynamics CRM-Accounting Pro 2007
Why is there not a connector for CRM to Account Pro 2007? Especially since there is one from CRM to business contact manager?! I thought microsofts big plan was to integrate everything, yet these two softwares, which would seem like a perfect fit to me, do not even talk to each other. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Ne...

Buttons for Macros
Hi, Ive created some simple Macros that print sheets in my workbook. Which is all fine, but I will be sending the spreadsheet out to people who will not have a clue how to use a macro. Currently Im using Ctrl+x to do it, but............ I want to create a button on the worksheet that they can press with their mouse to activate the Macro. Is this possible - Im sure Ive seen it somewhere. Thanks. -- Ainsley ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ainsley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31960 View this threa...

Default properties for new folders

New Email Messages

CRM 3.0 Installation 11-07-05
When installing CRM 3.0, just after I accept the licence agreement, I get the following error: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation font Tahoma doesn't support style Regular Can anyone help? The server I'm installing on is also a Sharepoint Portal Server, should this cause any issues? Thanks, Dan. Specific questions related to CRM v3 should be addressed to the Early Access newsgroup. For connection details see: https://microsoft.order-7.com/CRMPartnerBeta/resources/newsgroups.doc -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Dan Baird" <DanBaird@d...

Order of Events using the built in form Close Button
I have a form that is bound to a table that has required fields. When the form is closed using the Close Button, which is made available to the form by setting the form's Control Box and Close Button properties to "Yes", Access displays standard messages about required field data. I would like to intercept these messages via the order of events that occur when using the Close Button. Does anyone know what that order of events is? Thanks much! The main ones to use are--> Before Update and Unload. Both these events allow you to cancel closing the form if requ...

Link to CRM Case from Email Template
Hi There, How can i make a direct link to the CRM Case from my Email Template. Currently i have Email Notification Template as below but CRM URL is not working as its giving me blank ================================ Dear Team, This is an Automated Microsoft Customer Relationship Management notification to inform you that a a Low Case Created with following details and it has been sent to your Unit Queue. Case Number : CAS-12323-GTCD Case Type : Request Case Priority : Low (4) Case Title : Configuration Case Description : Configuration Case Initiator : SAM Case Unit : IT Cas...

New Location/New setup

CRM and Exchange 2003
Hello all! I searched long and hard for the answer, but as you all know, good info on CRM is hard to find... Here's my issue: We are currently running Exchange 2000, and plan to install CRM. I know about Server 2003 compatability issues, so we are will be installing CRM on Server 2000, and will use SQL Server 2000 as well. However, we are just a small part of a much larger entity who is planning on moving everything to Exchange 2003 VERY soon! So, if everything else stays the same (2000) and we upgrade our Exchange Server to 2003, will CRM get hosed? or will life still be tranq...

How do I activate the new mail button

Moving MS CRM v3 From One Server To Another
Hi, I am planning a Swing Migration of a 2003 server to SBS 2003 R2. CRM v3.0 currently resides on the server and needs to be relocated to the new "swung" server. The new server will have the same name etc. Are there any white papers that will assist me? I've done a search and drawn a blank. TIA Matt Redeployment wizard can help you for this. see implementation guide. -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com "nordberg" wrote: > Hi, > > I am plan...

Multiline button caption
Hi, Is it possible to set the MS_MULTILINE property of a button control at design time? Or does it have to be done using CreateWindow()? I simply need to display multi-line captions on pushbuttons. Excuse me if the question is too trivial. I'm new to MFC. Thanks a lot. It should work in designer as well as at run time. I tried it in designer and use \n as the line break. This link shows how to do it dynamically: http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/buttonctrl/advancedbuttons/article.php/c8395/ ------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com Hi Ajay, Thanks for reply. But no..."\n&quo...

Style available all sheets new or old

Need help with forms!!!
I am creating a database to track invoices recieved and apply them to specific assets. My question is on my invoice input page I have a check box to split the invoice between two or more assests. How can I bring up a pop up window asking which assests to apply the split invoice to ? Also create the according records for each assest that the invoice was split for. Could someone give me some idea as how to do this? My Access skills are a little rusty. I'm using Access 2007. Thank you, Mark ...

Taskbar present, Start button not!
machine clean of viruses or illegal processes.. what could be the cause? In news:%23rKjC79NLHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, msnews <notinterestedgoaway@hotmail.com> typed: > machine clean of viruses or illegal processes.. what could > be the cause? What have you tried, and on what? If it's not a virus then it's malware. msnews wrote: > Machine is clean of viruses or illegal processes.. what could be the cause? Try some of these: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Line 117. Restore Taskbar and Start Menu Line 167. Force Classi...

Button on form to print report for current record
I want to put a button in my input form so it can print a report looking at only the current record I am in using2007. See names below: Input Form: CC Form Entry Unique Field: CC Number Report: Customer Complaint Form Can anyone help? thanks so much Try: DoCmd.OpenReport "Customer Complaint Form", acViewPreview, , _ "[CC Number] = " & Forms![CC Form Entry]![CC Number] -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Anita" <Anita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Word 2003 Forms (JUMP TO Fields)
I am creating a word 2003 form and was wondering if it is possible to skip fields depending on the selection in a drop down menu. ie. QUESTION: Is there a requirement for a COSHH Assessment ? DROP DOWN ANSWER-----Yes/NO If yes just go to the next field box if NO then Jump this section to another section/Field further down the form? Any takers? -- Regards Martin D It is possible, but only with a macro. The basic idea of changing which form field is "next" is discussed at http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/SetTabOrder.htm. The macros in that article can b...