need scroll bar on user added field

I added a field using the schema editor.  It is a text field with 2000
characters.  I want this field to have scroll bars but it just shows up as a
single line.  Is there a way to get scroll bars?  Otherwise it's useless.
Thanks.
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

AW -

If you can roll back to a backup of CRM from before the time you added the
field, I'd recommend that you do it. - a 2000 character text field will take
up almost a quarter of the total allowed user defined fields for a given
table. - Some tables run out quicker than others (Contacts is notorious for
having only room for a handful of user defined fields. -

On to your question - if you want the scroll bars, add the field as a memo
field. - (like the description field on most objects.)

Good luck -email me direct if you have any questions - scott.sewell AT
crm411.com -

Scott
"AW" <AW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I added a field using the schema editor.  It is a text field with 2000
> characters.  I want this field to have scroll bars but it just shows up as
> single line.  Is there a way to get scroll bars?  Otherwise it's useless.
> Thanks.

0
Scott
3/25/2005 9:33:07 PM
Hey:

Check the Data type for this field. I think you created a regular String
field. You want to create a Memo field. In general, these are the best type
of text fields to use since they take up less Memory than String Fields (mind
your SQL limit with AccountBase and ContactBase!)-- though they do take up a
lot of real estate on the form...

--Dodd

"AW" wrote:

> I added a field using the schema editor.  It is a text field with 2000
> characters.  I want this field to have scroll bars but it just shows up as a
> single line.  Is there a way to get scroll bars?  Otherwise it's useless.
> Thanks.
Thanks, I screwed up, I should have created it as a memo field.  I don't have
a backup.  I'm guessing there is no way to delete this field?

And just curious, how will I know when I've exceeded my limit for adding
fields to a table?

"Scott Sewell" wrote:

> AW -
>
> If you can roll back to a backup of CRM from before the time you added the
> field, I'd recommend that you do it. - a 2000 character text field will take
> up almost a quarter of the total allowed user defined fields for a given
> table. - Some tables run out quicker than others (Contacts is notorious for
> having only room for a handful of user defined fields. -
>
> On to your question - if you want the scroll bars, add the field as a memo
> field. - (like the description field on most objects.)
>
> Good luck -email me direct if you have any questions - scott.sewell AT
> crm411.com -
>
> Scott
> "AW" <AW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I added a field using the schema editor.  It is a text field with 2000
> > characters.  I want this field to have scroll bars but it just shows up as
> > single line.  Is there a way to get scroll bars?  Otherwise it's useless.
> > Thanks.

You're correct, there's no supported way to delete the field - Microsoft
Support should be able to help you out. - It's worth it to open a ticket
with them when you're ready.
Unfortunately, unless you're very SQL savvy the only way to know is that
when you try to add a new field to an object, it will fail and say that it's
unable to add the field.

** Never 'experiment' with updating any of the SQL tables directly - this
query is only a select against the metabase **
** If you try and update the database directly and make a mistake, it will
absolutely hose it up. - **

The following query can be run in SQL Query Analyzer to determine row length
in bytes. It should be executed against your metabase database for Microsoft
CRM. You have to enter the appropriate entityid's. These can be found in the
Entity table in the metabase.

SELECT SUM(Length) as TotalLength from Attribute WHERE EntityId =
N'{C0A328C7-B25D-4965-9E0B-BA7EF71A483E}' and IsLogical = 0

After custom fields have been added to the schema, the fields cannot be
shortened or deleted. You must restore both the MSCRM and METABASE databases
from a point before adding the custom attributes to Microsoft CRM objects.
Then access Deployment Manager to publish the customizations for all objects
to update the .xsl files.

If this makes your eye glaze over, then don't even attempt it. - just let
Microsoft handle it. -

Cheers!

> Thanks, I screwed up, I should have created it as a memo field.  I don't
> have
> a backup.  I'm guessing there is no way to delete this field?
>
> And just curious, how will I know when I've exceeded my limit for adding
> fields to a table?
>

> "Scott Sewell" wrote:
>
>> AW -
>>
>> If you can roll back to a backup of CRM from before the time you added
>> the
>> field, I'd recommend that you do it. - a 2000 character text field will
>> take
>> up almost a quarter of the total allowed user defined fields for a given
>> table. - Some tables run out quicker than others (Contacts is notorious
>> for
>> having only room for a handful of user defined fields. -
>>
>> On to your question - if you want the scroll bars, add the field as a
>> memo
>> field. - (like the description field on most objects.)
>>
>> Good luck -email me direct if you have any questions - scott.sewell AT
>> crm411.com -
>>
>> Scott
>> "AW" <AW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I added a field using the schema editor.  It is a text field with 2000
>> > characters.  I want this field to have scroll bars but it just shows up
>> > as
>> > single line.  Is there a way to get scroll bars?  Otherwise it's
>> > useless.
>> > Thanks.

0
Scott
3/28/2005 8:21:40 PM
Rather than figuring out all of the entity id's, you can use this
script to find the length of ALL tables in CRM...

-- run against METABASE database
select e.[name] as TableName, sum(a.length) as TableLength
>From entity e
join attribute a
on e.entityid = a.entityid
where a.islogical = 0
group by e.[name]
order by sum(a.length) desc

Again, this is just a select, never update CRM database directly...
HTH,

Dave
David L. Carr, President
Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
Main #: 971-327-6944

Introducing our newest software product...
VAST - an auditing solution for Microsoft CRM 1.2
VAST shows you "Who Did What When" in Microsoft CRM
To download our free trial, get more info, or to order, visit
http://www.VSCRM.com

0
Dave
3/29/2005 8:16:03 PM
Yeah, My company's had issues with replication and going over the SQL Limit,
only when it happened to us, the Deployment Manager failed to stop the field
from being added to the metabase. So after we published, the database and
metabase weren't equal (column-wise) and created all sortsa UI problems.
Nightmare...

I offer one more suggestion, if you have a Test environment, or if you
replicate your tables to another server, do the queries there, so if you mess
up, you don't hurt the production environment, and you can always restore
from Prod to Test if need be...

--Dodd

"Dave Carr (dave- no spam-@vscrm.com" wrote:

> Rather than figuring out all of the entity id's, you can use this
> script to find the length of ALL tables in CRM...
>
> -- run against METABASE database
> select e.[name] as TableName, sum(a.length) as TableLength
> >From entity e
> join attribute a
> on e.entityid = a.entityid
> where a.islogical = 0
> group by e.[name]
> order by sum(a.length) desc
>
> Again, this is just a select, never update CRM database directly...
> HTH,
>
> Dave
> David L. Carr, President
> Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
> Main #: 971-327-6944
>
> Introducing our newest software product...
> VAST - an auditing solution for Microsoft CRM 1.2
> VAST shows you "Who Did What When" in Microsoft CRM
> To download our free trial, get more info, or to order, visit
> http://www.VSCRM.com

Here's another query you can use that doesn't rely on the Metabase tables.  You
could use this to verify the Metabase & the tables are in sync.

SELECT ob.name Table_Name, sum(col.length) Max_column_Length
from sysobjects ob, syscolumns col
where ob.id = col.id and ob.xtype = 'U'
group by ob.name

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On 29 Mar 2005 12:16:03 -0800, "Dave Carr (dave- no spam-@vscrm.com"
<dave@vscrm.com> wrote:

Rather than figuring out all of the entity id's, you can use this
script to find the length of ALL tables in CRM...

-- run against METABASE database
select e.[name] as TableName, sum(a.length) as TableLength
>From entity e
join attribute a
on e.entityid = a.entityid
where a.islogical = 0
group by e.[name]
order by sum(a.length) desc

Again, this is just a select, never update CRM database directly...
HTH,

Dave
David L. Carr, President
Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
Main #: 971-327-6944

Introducing our newest software product...
VAST - an auditing solution for Microsoft CRM 1.2
VAST shows you "Who Did What When" in Microsoft CRM
To download our free trial, get more info, or to order, visit
http://www.VSCRM.com

0
Matt
3/30/2005 5:00:20 PM
AW -

There's a key bit of info I failed to mention in my original posting. - (the
2000 character field kinda threw me into 'fix-the-problem-not-the-symptom'
mode.)

You can make a text field show up with the scrollbars - (While logged in as
a system administrator) In CRM, Go to Settings / System Customization /
Contacts (or whichever object you are working on ) / Customize Form / double
click on this new, massive, text field <grin> then chose the 'formatting'
tab and in the Text Type pulldown, select "Textarea" as the format for which
to display the field. - That will give you the scrollie bars.

Hopefully that's helpful. If at all possible get Microsoft to help you
remove the field and recreate it as a memo field. - (you'll still be able to
put large amounts of data in the field, but it's stored differently and
doesn't have the same impact on the byte-width limitation that heavily
customized CRM implementations run into. (Most notably in the Contact
record.)

Scott. -

"AW" <AW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I added a field using the schema editor.  It is a text field with 2000
> characters.  I want this field to have scroll bars but it just shows up as
> single line.  Is there a way to get scroll bars?  Otherwise it's useless.
> Thanks.

0
Scott

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Graph
Hi, Here is the problem - There is a graph I have to create, based on the following information: I have projects names, and each project has the following data: 1. Estimated cost. 2. Actual cost. 3.Status, which can be one of 3: a. over with b. in progress c. per demand I need to put the data on a 3D column graph, in a way that each project will have 2 columns that compare estimated and actual cost, but the problem is I also need to put some kind of an attribute on every project which reflects its status. How do I do that? Thanks in advance, Chen. Chen - I'd suggest a 2D chart type in...

No minimize/maximize option in title bar?
The buttons for minimize/maximize/close are not showing up on the titl bar. Why might this be -- conks ----------------------------------------------------------------------- conksu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3187 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51600 The workbook could be protected with the Windows Structure option checked. Tools|Unprotect workbook You may need a password. conksu wrote: > > The buttons for minimize/maximize/close are not showing up on the title > bar. Why might this be? &...

Excel need help

How do I format a cell, so the user must use a user calendar?
I created a user calendar by means of a macro. I want to set a cell in the workbook so when someone clicks on the cell the calendar automatically comes up so they can select a date. nathan See Ron de Bruin's site for code. Adjust the range to suit http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:25:03 -0800, nathan <nathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I created a user calendar by means of a macro. I want to set a cell in the >workbook so when someone clicks on the cell the calendar automatically comes >up so they can se...

User changes last name
I have a network user with an associated mailbox. The user's name is jsmith and the Exchange alias is jsmith. This user has a new last name now, jjones.The user wants her email address to reflect the new name. She also wants to have any mail that goes to her old address forwarded to the new address. Can I just rename some things or do I have to create another userid and create the new mailbox and import all the email into the new mailbox and forward the old email to the new one. That senario would also cause the user to get a default profile on the desktop which I want to try to av...

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Chart apearing small for one user only
I have a situation where person one sends person two a excel 2003 document with a chart and person two can see the chart but it is rely small. Person one can send the file to other people and it shows up fine. Person two can send the same file to other people and it shows up fine. What is wrong with person two's setup? The zoom percentage on both computers for both people are always the same value. Person two can increase his and it seems as if it distorts the chart. When he sends that file to someone else it looks ok (not distorted) but very big. Please help. Thanks. Do...

Need to test a mobo

create user mailbox rules from admin/server
If I want to make a rule in a users mailbox so that certain emails go to certain folders etc, I have usually logged in as that user and created the rule using the outlook rules wizard. Is there a way I can create rules like this from the server, or admin account, so i dont have to log in as every user each time i want to add a rule? Not that I'm aware of, and I'm sure you couldn't do it without some fancy scripting. Why not leave this up to the user, and send them basic instructions? Aaron wrote: > If I want to make a rule in a users mailbox so that certain emails go > ...

Display Multiple User Forms
Is there a way to display two userforms simulataneously. I have an application with about 10 data entry forms. I want to creat a navigation form that would always be open that would allow the use to jump from one form to another. How can I do this? Thanks for any help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you have Excel2000 or later, just create modeless forms (ShowModal property = False) -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Ripan >" <<Ripan.103gp7@exce...

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

Clarification on EWS/Exchange 2007 free/busy issue
Clarification: Free/busy is denied to any user that has been granted specific access to a user's calendar when EWS is used to add/change a permission for a person or group. If the user is a member of a security group listed with access to the calendars, all users in the group will be denied access to free/busy to the calendar. We've discovered that when a user uses EWS (version 13.0.3) to modify calendar permissions (Exchange 2007) on his/her calendar that this causes an issue where the free/busy info is no longer available to any user listed/granted specific access to the u...

Problems with carriage return in address field
I've read other feeds on this subject and I'm unable to fix my problem. I've developed a query with a field that concatenates multiple fields, excludes empty strings with Null and introduces carriage returns. Contatenation and carriage returns work, but my Null doesn't (I want all fields to move up if a field is empty). This is what I have so far: Address: ([tbl_Investigator]![Position] & Chr(13)+Chr(10) & [tbl_Investigator]![Address] & IIf(IsNull([tbl_Investigator]![Address]),Null,(Chr(13)+Chr(10)) & [tbl_Investigator]![Address2] & IIf(IsNull([...

Catalog Merge fields come as Plain Text, but datasource is Rich Te
In creating a Publisher Catalog Merge template, I have an MS Access 2007 database, with a product decription field that is a Memo field, with Rich Text formatting. When I import the field into the Catalog Merge Template the field comes over as Plain Text. The formatting information shows a HTML Tags. Example : "Product Description" shows the quote marks as "Product Description" Any ideas? I can't see any format options in Publisher 2007 to allow me to keep the RTF format. I suggest you create a new publication from the catalog merge and save that result as a ...

crm email for remote users
Hi, I have a client with 10 remote users who wants to implement MSCRM. The remote users use a hosted POP3 email service, not Exchange. Can Sales for Outlook be configured so that when a CRM email is sent, the email uses their hosted service's profile in Outlook? Thanks No this will not work CRM will only work against an exchange server. "Gene Marks" <gene@marksgroup.net> wrote in message news:OEg340vPDHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have a client with 10 remote users who wants to implement MSCRM. The > remote users use a hosted POP3 email ...

I need Help

need help badly

adding columns past IV
Is it possible to expand columns in excel past IV? If so how? Can it go to ZZ? beyond?? Help Danno, Take a look at your other post in excel.worksheet.functions Sorry to say, a consensus has been reached and the answer is a resounding NO. Dan E "danno" <drobert@winnipeg.ca> wrote in message news:26b9201c38ea2$9185ff70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to expand columns in excel past IV? > If so how? > > Can it go to ZZ? beyond?? > Help Not in Excel "danno" <drobert@winnipeg.ca> wrote in message news:26b9201c38ea2$9185ff70$a601280a@phx...