Millions of contacts in CRM

Hi,
I am concerned about the use of MSCRM in a client with a few milliion
contact records (around 6 million). I know from my own experience with SQL
Server that there is no problem with this database, but I wonder if there is
any issu regarding the application ou the application server...? I also read
the performance and sizing white papers, but the concern there is related to
number of users not record number...

I read a post by Jake Horn where he mentions 2 M account records in a client
installation with no problem, with replication turned off ( is this just
turning off replication in Enterprise Manager?)

Any comments about this issues?

I would really appreciate your input on this (serious) issue!

Thanks a lot!

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Fred,

As you know, for SQL this won't be a problem.   Where you will run into some
issues is in response.  Due to the nature of the security model, the check to
see if you have access to a particular record is done in the application tier.
So, if you have a locked down security model, a lot of data will be sent to the
app tier that will get weeded out.  This will obviously take some time.

I would approach this cautiously and do some architecture POC as soon as
possible.  Another area that may prove challenging is chahges to security roles.
These changes actually need to go through and update every affected record in
the system.  This process sometimes misses a few records in the process, leaving
some "broken" security descriptors.  The larger the DB, the more likely the
chance of this happening.

If you aren't going to need the SFO client, then definately turn off Replication
and remove the Publications (actually, the other way around).  No need for that
overhead.  This also gives you the option of clustering the SQL box (not
supported, but the SFO synch process is why clustering is not supported).  The
web client will work fine with a clustered DB.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:55:03 -0800, Fred Caldera
<FredCaldera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Hi,
I am concerned about the use of MSCRM in a client with a few milliion
contact records (around 6 million). I know from my own experience with SQL
Server that there is no problem with this database, but I wonder if there is
any issu regarding the application ou the application server...? I also read
the performance and sizing white papers, but the concern there is related to
number of users not record number...

I read a post by Jake Horn where he mentions 2 M account records in a client
installation with no problem, with replication turned off ( is this just
turning off replication in Enterprise Manager?)

Any comments about this issues?

I would really appreciate your input on this (serious) issue!

Thanks a lot!

0
Matt
2/18/2005 3:46:07 PM
Keep security as simple as possible, preferrably one business unit with
everyone having access.

You can limit what people see by changing the default views to limit data
returned.  You have to do this by exporting the system customizations,
editing the XML for the default views, then making the changes.  Don't
worry, you can deal with that problem when you get to it.

Another option would be to create a custom search screen for the users and
replace the base search screen with that.

What type of environment is this?  Sales? Service? I can make more
recommendations, but I need to know how the users will interact with the
system.

"Fred Caldera" <FredCaldera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am concerned about the use of MSCRM in a client with a few milliion
> contact records (around 6 million). I know from my own experience with SQL
> Server that there is no problem with this database, but I wonder if there
> is
> any issu regarding the application ou the application server...? I also
> read
> the performance and sizing white papers, but the concern there is related
> number of users not record number...
>
> I read a post by Jake Horn where he mentions 2 M account records in a
> client
> installation with no problem, with replication turned off ( is this just
> turning off replication in Enterprise Manager?)
>
> Any comments about this issues?
>
> I would really appreciate your input on this (serious) issue!
>
> Thanks a lot!

0
Jake
2/18/2005 4:33:33 PM
Thanks for the tips. It's a service only installation

"Jake Horn" wrote:

> Keep security as simple as possible, preferrably one business unit with
> everyone having access.
>
> You can limit what people see by changing the default views to limit data
> returned.  You have to do this by exporting the system customizations,
> editing the XML for the default views, then making the changes.  Don't
> worry, you can deal with that problem when you get to it.
>
> Another option would be to create a custom search screen for the users and
> replace the base search screen with that.
>
> What type of environment is this?  Sales? Service? I can make more
> recommendations, but I need to know how the users will interact with the
> system.
>
> "Fred Caldera" <FredCaldera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I am concerned about the use of MSCRM in a client with a few milliion
> > contact records (around 6 million). I know from my own experience with SQL
> > Server that there is no problem with this database, but I wonder if there
> > is
> > any issu regarding the application ou the application server...? I also
> > read
> > the performance and sizing white papers, but the concern there is related
> > number of users not record number...
> >
> > I read a post by Jake Horn where he mentions 2 M account records in a
> > client
> > installation with no problem, with replication turned off ( is this just
> > turning off replication in Enterprise Manager?)
> >
> > Any comments about this issues?
> >
> > I would really appreciate your input on this (serious) issue!
> >
> > Thanks a lot!

open contacts in same window?
mail - newsgroups - calendar - feed - they all open up in the same window, Why then does "Contacts" open up in a separate window? Is there any way to set it to open up in same window? or alternatively - have the contacts listed as in outlook express? Also - a suggestion fo MS - I would have liked to have had a Preview function, like MailWasher or the other Email program "Dreammail" - it lets you preview email thats ready to be recieved - but you get to see it Before recieving, permitting you to tick delete on all unwanted email, result is you recieve only wha...

CRM and Great Plains Credit Hold
How does credit hold work between Great Plains 9.0 and CRM 3.0? Is there a way to link the two such that when an account is placed on credit hold in GP it is also placed on hold in CRM? There is a CRM/GP connector that I assume would allow this type of functionality. We do not use this connector, so what I would do is write some javascript in GP against the CRM webservice to update the CRM field. Your GP Jscript could also call a SQL Server stored procedure or trigger, but that gets into DBA stuff. It depends on where you're more comfortable. Regards, Dan "Banner" wr...

Fax nos in contacts
How can I stop Outlook trying to select contacts fax entry for emails in the Select Names dialog. I can one entry for email address and one for business fax, but they both have identical names so I cant tell which is which Many thanks Boris Do you fax from outlook? if not, add an I or other letter to the beginning of the fax number. http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/nofax.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ ...

Can you synchronize contacts that you're not the owner of in Outlo
We are using CRM 3.0 and would like to have managers be able to have all contacts sync in their Outlook, not just the ones they are owners of. Is there a way to do this? You can set what data to sznchronize. You will find it in Outlook CRM menu. By default only data you own are synchronized. "GBOYLE" wrote: > We are using CRM 3.0 and would like to have managers be able to have all > contacts sync in their Outlook, not just the ones they are owners of. Is > there a way to do this? Mike is right, you can control what is synchronized to the contacts folder in Outlook...

Deleting from Outlook Contacts folder does not delete CRM Contacts
My user saw the contacts in his Outlook Contacts folder with the CRM icon. He also saw that the same contacts were in the CRM Contacts folder. Instead of having them in 2 places, he went in and deleted them from his Outlook contacts folder, and they stayed in his CRM Contacts folder. This surprised me. I thought that if you deleted a contact (synched with CRM) from the Outlook contacts folder then it would also be deleted in CRM Contacts. I'm glad that it didn't, because this is a cleaner approach. Does anyone know for certain how this is supposed to work? Do we have somet...

Contacts in 2k3
I have several subfolders in my contact and my outlook is setup as pop account. when i click on "New Email" and then on "To" all i see is just the main contact not the subfolders. I'd appreciate your help on this. Al AL <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have several subfolders in my contact and my outlook is > setup as pop account. when i click on "New Email" and > then on "To" all i see is just the main contact not the > subfolders. Have you enabled each of those subfolders as address books? -- Brian Tillman ...

Recovering CRM
CRM server was reinstalled and the data bases recovered also, but the OU from ActiveDirectory was deleted. does any solution to recover it? doest it possible to associate existing data to a new OU? does some one have the "CRMADRecovery tool"?? Unless you have a system state backup of the AD to recover near the point of failure. I would submit a support ticket to Microsoft CRM Support for this one. Good luck. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "Mauricio Orrego" wrote: > CRM server was reinstalled and the data bases recovered also, but ...

Caching a half-million rows into a .xls?
Just had a brief walk through of a monster .xls (about 50 megs) that caches about 500,000 lines of data and does various presentations of it. I couldn't find any way to actually see said data - but I'm taking somebody's word that it's there. Anybody have any idea how that might have been done? -- PeteCresswell It might be the beta of next excel version (Office 2007 for now but might be 2008 before it arrives) it has 1 million rows and about 16000 columns. Otherwise they need to portion out the data over multiple sheets -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom http://nwexcelsoluti...

Outlook 2000 share contacts problem
I have a problem. I cannot share my contacts with my Teammate A. But I can share with my Teammate B. Is it any software will affect this share function. Because Teammate A install many Nokia or Sony Ericsson sync software for his mobile. Thanks a lot. Regards, Amon ...

Search Inactive Contacts and add a button to show Inactive Contact
Dear MS, I have a CRM 3.0 and can't search "Inactive Contacts" in contacts. The only way to search Inactive Contacts is through an Advance Find and it takes way too much time and hustle. I also suggest to add a button next to "More Actions" button or add a bar in the contact view within the account, this way we can just click a button to view associated inactive contacts. Do you know by any chance MS will consider this option in next version or add to the current 3.0 version? I am sure I am not the only one who is asking about this. This is very important for my...

Replied CRM emails not appearing in CRM
When I send an email through CRM and a Lead replies the email doesn't appear as an activity in the Leads history. I am using CRM Sales for Outlook. Is this a syncronization issue? Or can CRM relate to the replies? Do I have to wait 24 hours for Outlook to Sync with CRM? Or is there a way I can force a syncronization? ...

share calender and contacts with other user on my computer
my wife and i use the same computer with two different accounts and i can't figure out how to share outlook's calender and contacts ...

euro millions
hello peeps, i'm trying to make a euro millions checker in excel, ive got it to check the five balls ok but having problems with checking the 2 lucky stars cell g4 = 3 ( lucky star 1 camerlots No.) cell h4 = 6 ( lucky star 2 camerlots No.) cell g7 = numbers i put on ( lucky star 1) cell h7 = numbers i put on (lucky star 2) cell s7 = total lucky stars ( can only be answer 0,1,2) as you can only mach the max of 2 balls can anyone help with a formula please Try =SUMPRODUCT(1-ISNA(MATCH(G7:H7,G4:H4,0))) "DarkNight" wrote: > hello peeps, i'm trying to make a ...

Contacter i CRM
Hello All, I was wandring, if everyone in the organization import their contacts from outlook, what is going to the common contacts, if few of us have the same contact, is it going to enter into the CRM database few records with same information or is it posible that CRM recognize the contact and dose not enter if it alredy exists? thanks in advance Hi, There are some duplicate detection possibilities out there. The easiest way to go for you would probably to take a look at the C360 solution. That will help you clean your database easily. There is still some manual work required thou...

millions
Hi, The minimum and maximum y-axis numbers for my chart are $1,000,000 and $100,000,000. Is there a Custom font Category that will format these to appear as $1.0M and $100.0M as y-axis labels? (I know I can make a new column and divide by 1,000,000 ... just wondering if you could do it without the extra column.) Thanks. Dave try this: format axis custom type $#,###.0,," M" --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Depending on your version of XL, you could also double-click the y- axis, and in the Format Axis dialog box, select the Scale tab. In there, set the...

Sales For Outlook unable to syncronise with CRM server
I have installed the CRM server and loaded up the sample data for evaluation purposes. I then installed the Sales for Outlook on my PC (No errors during any installation so-far). Now when I try to create an appointment task or e-mail, I get the following error: --------------------------- Microsoft CRM --------------------------- An error occurred while trying to synchronize the appointment information to the Microsoft CRM system. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- Is there some configuration I have failed to complete, or does anyone have any ideas about this error? ...

Select contacts for export to Excel
I need to select anumber of contacts and then to export them to an excel spreadsheet. I select the contacts highlighf then and then export. Outlook exports all my contacts. How do I export just the selected items ? -- Stephen Connolly Copy the selected items to a new, empty contacts folder, then export from that folder. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Stephen Connolly" <StephenConnolly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

CRM 3 Talking Stock & Finance Software
Hello all, I want to integrate MS Crm 3 and our stock & finance software Any body can help me ? Stock software using MS Sql Server DB. they have installed same server. for example When i create an account in stock software or CRM account must be create both. How ? I'd look into the following to support your integration requirements: 1. 3rd Party Microsoft CRM Integration software with ODBC support such as Scribe Software: http://www.scribesoftware.com/mscrm.asp 2. Microsoft CRM SDK to custom build the integration: v3.0 SDK: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa682866.as...

crm exams ?
Anyone has passes 10-184 Microsoft CRM exam ? Do you know what kind of questions there are ? Thanks ...

tmp files
Actually there's between 3,000 and 4,000 tmp files created every time our Excel spreadsheet is run. Excel spreadsheet creates other Excel spreadsheets if a new project is selected - beginning another instance of Excel each time. After more than two projects are opened at the same time, the performance of Excel deteriorates to a point where you can't run Excel (it takes forever to load) the next time you open the spreadsheet. The tmp files are created in ...\Local Settings\Temp directory. Is there a reason these tmp files are being created? Excel needs temp files to operate, so do...

Hide contacts
I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see them and select to send email. If only 2 users need a Contact, why not have them create it in their Contacts folder? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "MauroR" <MauroR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAC0E2E9-7389-49F0-8736-3B9251DBB274@microsoft.com... >I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see >them > and select to send email. Th...

Lost emaila and contacts
I have Outlook 2003 on windows XP. I was having an issue with Word and did a "repair". After I got a message that it was successful I went to open outlook and the setup wizard appeared and had me go thru all the steps as if outlook had just been installed on the pc. When I was done all of my emails from the past couple of uears and all my contacts were gone. Does anyone have any ideads on what happened or if they can be gotten back? Thanks. "carl43m" <carl43m@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E440B11-F783-4477-8918-9D13DCF5C634@mic...

Contacts
Why can=B4t I choose multiple contacts and then=20 choose "Exchange Tasks"/"Establish E-mail Address"? When=20 selecting multiple contacts and choosing "Exchange Tasks"=20 the only option is "Delete E-mail Adresses".=20 Is there a way to "Establish E-mail Adresses" on contacts=20 by script? /Jon That is because contacts need and external email address,=20 so you need to establish and email address one by one. It=20 cannot be the same email address for all contacts. >-----Original Message----- >Why can=B4t I choose multiple contacts ...

Account and Contact on One Opportunity
My sales team needs to know both who the Account is as well as who the primary Contact is for an Opportunity. Since there doesn't appear to be a way to have two fields on the Opportunity form to handle this, what is the recommended work-around? I can think of two: 1. Add an attribute and text box for "Account Name" to Opportunity that's filled in when Opportunity converted from Lead. 2. Write code to dynamically look up Account Name from selected Contact on Opportunity form whenever it's displayed. 3. Just fill in the Account name in the "Topic" field when...

Upgradation problems with Microsoft CRM 1.2
Hi, We have recently upgraded ourselves from CRM 1.0 to CRM 1.2. In the earlier version, we customized CRM to generate org charts. But ever since we have upgraded to the 1.2 version, we are encountering problems while generating the chart. We get the 'Access is Denied' error when we are trying to generate the chart from a remote machine. The chart generates without any problems when tried on the server itself. We are using Visio to generate the charts. What is puzzling is what worked fine in the earlier version is not working the same way now. Kindly throw some light on this. Thanks i...