Lost Contact and Notes

We have lost one contact and the associated notes.  We have a full SQL Backup
with the contact and notes within but how do I access this data on a test
system in the quickest time frame.  I really need the notes.
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I would just restore the SQL BU to a new DB (named anything BUT _MSCRM,
of course).  You should then be able to find the contactid {GUID} in
the ContactBase table for the contact that was deleted.  (Select
contactid from ContactBase where firstname like "Dav%" and lastname
like "Carr%" for example.)

Then use that GUID in the where clause to select the notes, for
example:

SELECT NoteText from AnnotationBase where OwningUser = {GUID}

(Of course, our Marketing VP would let me hear it if I didn't use this
opportunity for a shameless plug: if you had installed the VAST audit
tracking add-on product for Microsoft CRM, the notes would be right in
your VAST DB, no restore necessary.  And, with new VAST Insights, you
can actually display deleted contacts, and view (and copy and paste)
notes right from within CRM!)

Good luck,

Dave

David L. Carr, President
Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
Main #: 971-327-6944

To download a fully functional trial version of VAST, (Visionary Audit
System Tools for Microsoft CRM), that tracks all changes made to the
Adventure Works Cycle database, visit http://www.vscrm.com/trial.htm

0
Dave
8/16/2005 8:33:05 PM
So Create new databases and restore the backup to the databases.  How does
one connect to the databases?  I have created a test environment with one
server Win2003, SQL 2000, Active Directory, how does one restore the
databases from my backups and install crm to access the data via sql.  This
would eleviate performing any work on the production server.

"Dave Carr (dave- no spam-@vscrm.com" wrote:

> I would just restore the SQL BU to a new DB (named anything BUT _MSCRM,
> of course).  You should then be able to find the contactid {GUID} in
> the ContactBase table for the contact that was deleted.  (Select
> contactid from ContactBase where firstname like "Dav%" and lastname
> like "Carr%" for example.)
>
> Then use that GUID in the where clause to select the notes, for
> example:
>
> SELECT NoteText from AnnotationBase where OwningUser = {GUID}
>
> (Of course, our Marketing VP would let me hear it if I didn't use this
> opportunity for a shameless plug: if you had installed the VAST audit
> tracking add-on product for Microsoft CRM, the notes would be right in
> your VAST DB, no restore necessary.  And, with new VAST Insights, you
> can actually display deleted contacts, and view (and copy and paste)
> notes right from within CRM!)
>
> Good luck,
>
> Dave

> David L. Carr, President
> Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
> Main #: 971-327-6944
>
> To download a fully functional trial version of VAST, (Visionary Audit
> System Tools for Microsoft CRM), that tracks all changes made to the
> Adventure Works Cycle database, visit http://www.vscrm.com/trial.htm

Lost Formatting When tab is copied
My problem would seem to be very basic. I have a table that has values with dollars in columns and then a rate (i.e. one cell less another and then divide) in percentage format. When I copy an existing tab either into the same workbook or into a new workbook, many of my percent formats change to dollar format. This happens no matter what page I copy and it happens on pages that I am not even touching or copying. Often times these cells that lose their formatting are next to cells that are in dollar format that are pulling their data from pivot table. Could this have anything to do with it? ...

What was lost is found
Some of you may recall my frantic thrashing around here when I reinstalled my OS (Win XP) and had to reinstall Publisher 98 but could not find the installation disk. With a tweak here and a cludge there I was able to reinstall from the Publisher directory on the drive. (Don't ever install to the Windows/Program Files directory. Give each application its own root directory.) But the reinstall, though good enough to retrieve all my *.pub files and create new ones, lacks a few features, like hyphenation, spellcheck, etc. But today, what was lost is found. The installation disk turned ...

Notes folder in OL 2003
The Notes button in Folder List does not function to display the Notes folder. The only way to view stored notes is to right-click Notes button and select "Open in New Window..". This action opens the stored notes correctly. Has anyone encountered this bug? Have uninstalled/reinstalled Outlook to no avail. This is the only folder which exhibits this behavior. Thanks. ...

cannot import contacts from 2K to 2K3
My old computer ran office 2000, my new computer runs office 2003. I wanted to import all data from my old outlook to my new outlook. I copied the .PST file to new computer and imported the data. However, the only data that is availabe is my mail. There is not contact or task data. It is not even shown in the import window. Where would I find my contact data? Is it stored in the PST file? What can I do to access my contact data? Thanks, Mike. Answered your other post. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3...

Adding Contacts #3
After saving my contacts, I can not find them when I search for them. I know it is there because when I sync with my Blackberry it appears Please help -- ljg A few questions: - are you looking at a filtered view of your contacts? - do you have multiple contact-type folders? "ljg" <ljg.4ae34de@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:ljg.4ae34de@outlookbanter.com... > > After saving my contacts, I can not find them when I search for them. I > know it is there because when I sync with my Blackberry it appears > Please help Vince Averello;315832 Wrote: &...

2005 Deluxe
Upgraded from 2003. Seems like I've lost functionality. Can't find how to separate catagory entry between category and subcategory (all one entry now). Also can't find the MoneySide FollowUP Notes that I used to have on the home page. Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks. MoneySide has been gone since M04. You are, IIRC, the second person to post here having noticed. As to dual cat lists: see http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=161. BTW, you are supposed to prefer single list. "Elliot" <Elliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9082426-5...

lost save file
I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas where I should look or what I need to do???? I really need the folders. Thanks Search for .eml files . . . . . "Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:468CD94A-33D3-45C1-8F1E-1DD5ADC164F2@microsoft.com... > I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook > express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas > where...

multiple contacts for e mails
Have outlook 2007 with 1500 contact details but only use 300 for e mails. How can I create just an e mail list or address book and how do I get this to show as it displays the default address book only.2003 could point to a number of contact lists Nothing has changed. What makes you think it has? Just configure the Outlook Address Book. It will display as many folders as you want, just as it always has. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "steve" <steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7CAAA8DC-3525-4AD0-A1D3-9155AD02E49E@microsoft.com... > Have outlook 20...

Lost Outlook email
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see th results, please visit http://www.outlookforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5370 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Question: Am I hosed - YE - PROBABL - MAYB - N ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I downloaded my email from the server, got a message that some of th rest of my mail couldn't be retrieved, closed outlook, re-opened it and the messages I had already retrieved ...

Outlook 2003: Problem in sharing contacts
My company uses Outlook 2003 within an Exchange environment. My 9-person department wishes to create a common contact list of all the vendors we use. I created a Contacts folder called "Department contacts" and shared it with all department members giving each "Editor" permission. However, when a department member clicks on "Open Shared Contacts" and clicks my name, my personal contacts appear instead. I examined the properties of my personal contacts and there is no sharing. I again checked the properties of department contacts and they show that I am attempting...

Lost security on modified reports
It appears that access has been lost to modified reports. I checked security and access to the appropriate modified reports is selected, but I can not access them, nor can other users. We work in a Citrix environment and all users access the forms and reports from the server, not local workstations. I have unmarked and marked access and logged out and back in, but with no luck. Any suggestions? Have you tried using Advanced Security's Verify Security feature to check that all the security records are correct, valid and undamaged? It is worth a try. PS: You can also use Advan...

Sending to contacts with more than one email address
This happens when you have a contact with more than one email address. If you type their shortcut in the TO line, Outlook will not resolve the email address since it sees 2 of them. Also if try and select from the list, you will now see 2 entries. Previous versions of Outlook defaulted to the first address. Is there anyway to get back to having the "default email address" be the one that comes up. Thanx - Amine ...

Activate contacts autofill
How do I activate the contacts autofill in Outlook when I start to write a contacts name in the To field ? regards reidarT Outlook 2003 Tools - Options - Email Options - Advance Email Options - Suggest names while completing To, Cc and Bcc fields. "Reidar" <thorsvik@online.no> wrote in message news:8B041074-3930-47A3-82C5-D992AC156CB2@microsoft.com... > How do I activate the contacts autofill in Outlook when I start to write a > contacts name in the To field ? > regards > reidarT Reidar <thorsvik@online.no> wrote: > How do I activate the contac...

lost portfolio dat
i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? In microsoft.public.money, mark wrote: >i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its >gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? You saved it as *.inv or "my portfolio Backup.mbf"? The group for MSN Money is microsoft.public.moneycentral. ...

Cleaning out contacts
We have an exchange server 2003 running with a shared contacts folder. However, when users create a new email and start to type in the "to:" dialog box, the autocomplete brings up four, sometimes 5 different entries for the same target user. Where could all these be coming from? Their personal contacts sometimes have a single entry of a target user but I'm stumped as to where the other 3 or 4 entries might be coming from. JL Adamson <JL Adamson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We have an exchange server 2003 running with a shared contacts folder. > However, ...

lost folders
A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened after this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in her Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared. She hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in Sent Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and there is no Sent Items folder there. Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large number of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. Th...

lost authenticity number
I cannot find my authenticity number for my disk. Is there any way to get the number off of my computer? If you mean your Product Key, you can call Micorosft for it. I'm assuming you have to reload Publisher? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Amy Gentzyel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ecd01c48d27$cfcdaba0$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I cannot find my authenticity number for my disk. Is > there any way to get the number off of my computer? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://w...

upgraded from MS98 to XP pro and lost emails in Outlook Express
I just did an upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows Xp pro. That went fine but when i checked my email in Outlook Express all my old emaisl were gone. How do i get them back? >-----Original Message----- >I just did an upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows Xp pro. >That went fine but when i checked my email in Outlook >Express all my old emaisl were gone. How do i get them >back? >. >I have just upgraded also, I have the problem when I export my mail and import to XP all attachments are gone! This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Offi...

newsgroup access lost
Hi y'all, I set up access to Newsgroups by adding to the Go Menu as per on-line directions. I used the newsgroup and shut the program. Somewhere along the way it disappeared. I tried to set it up again, but now it's missing (completely). I tried a repair. No good. Any suggestions? Thanks. Robert Do a hard reset on the Toolbar by renaming outcmd.dat to outcmd.old. You should then be able to add it again. Also see the following for more options; http://www.sparnaaij.net/faq/news.htm -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outloo...

Lost Email after Uninstall
I uninstalled Outlook XP, then relized that I forgot to backup my emails. Did I really loose my email or did Microsoft's uninstall program leave the email file somewhere. I have looked for .pst and ..dbx files but can't find any. Thanks, strad Uninstalling never removes your PST file. Keep looking. Make sure you've enabled the display and search of hidden folders. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "strad" <stradwork@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c90a0f78.0310300748.3897db85@posting.google.com... > I uninstalled Outlook XP, then relized that I forgot to backup...

adding same note to a group of contacts
As we know there is no histroy in CRm, can not see what has been done to contacts in past or what changes have been made. So if I whated to add the same note to a group of contacts such as : email jhfahf sent on afjak" how would I do it. Or is it just not possible. Alison, Well, you could mess with workflow and stubs do get a kludgy solution - or you could just buy VAST, the ISV add on that solves this problem, and shows you all of the historical change made to CRM! (Please excuse blatant sales pitch - but I don't get such a good leading question too often!) Dave ------...

Contacts Tab
Hi Under the Contacts tab of an Account record the only two columns displayed are Full Name and Company Phone. Is there any way to add other columns, for example, job title? If not in this version (v1.2) is there any word of this being included in version 2? Thanks Lee You can customize tables, view and forms - add or remove fields, columns, and textbox using CRM Customization. So answer to your question is YES, it is possible "Lee" <l.hargrave@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:394322d8.0409220250.5d5658e@posting.google.com... > Hi > > Under the Contacts tab of...

Lost my Newsreader in Outlook 2003
Installed Outlook 2003; everything went fine. Added the newsreader to the standard toolbar...ie. Go>>News by clicking on the toolbars ...customize...go...news. this went fine. Shutdown my computer..brought it home. Opened up outlook NO newsreader !! And it's nowwhere to be found on the customize..commands menu. !!! I tried detect/ and repair. I tried resetting all toolbars. Nothing works. Before I completely remove Office 2003 and reinstall I hope someone might have a solution. Regards, Adam Close Outlook - find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. Reopen Outlook. --� Milly Stapl...

Right Contacts details
If I put in an address that outlook can't find in my contacts, it goes 'Check Names' (it says the contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened) to what I assume is the Windows Address Book. However the first one it tries to open has nothing in it. If I cgo to the drop down box, and select the second one it works fine... how do I get it to open the proper one? rfc Open the Address Book. Tools > Options > Show this address list first Remove the invalid reference to a Contacts Folder here: Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing di...

Contact disappears after added and saved
If I enter a contact with no email address, but does have a home address or phone number, after I save a close the contact it does not appear in my Contact List. Additionally, I 'search' for it using the find option, the contact is nowhere to be found. However, if I try and enter it again, Outlook indicates it's a duplicate entery. Where are my contacts disappearing to? What do you mean by "Contact List?" Where are these Contacts not appearing that you think they should? Contacts without electronic addresses would not be expected to appear in the addres...