Linkin to an external document

Is it possible to link to an external document thats stored on a network
drive without any plugins for CRM?
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Yes. If you want to add a link to a document on a CRM record, simply add a
custom text field to your form and set the type to URL. Then you can copy the
path of your document into the CRM field, assuming everyone who uses CRM in
your organization can reach the document via the same path, such as
V:/CompanyShared/Documents/somedocument.doc

--
Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP
http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com

"Shaun" wrote:

> Is it possible to link to an external document thats stored on a network
> drive without any plugins for CRM?
This can be done on any page in a customer record, correct?

"MattNC" wrote:

> Yes. If you want to add a link to a document on a CRM record, simply add a
> custom text field to your form and set the type to URL. Then you can copy the
> path of your document into the CRM field, assuming everyone who uses CRM in
> your organization can reach the document via the same path, such as
> V:/CompanyShared/Documents/somedocument.doc
>
> --
> Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP
> http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com
>

> "Shaun" wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to link to an external document thats stored on a network
> > drive without any plugins for CRM?
Yes, you can add a custom field to any tab on a record.
--
Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP
http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com

"Shaun" wrote:

> This can be done on any page in a customer record, correct?
>
> "MattNC" wrote:
>
> > Yes. If you want to add a link to a document on a CRM record, simply add a
> > custom text field to your form and set the type to URL. Then you can copy the
> > path of your document into the CRM field, assuming everyone who uses CRM in
> > your organization can reach the document via the same path, such as
> > V:/CompanyShared/Documents/somedocument.doc
> >
> > --
> > Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP
> > http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com
> >

> > "Shaun" wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to link to an external document thats stored on a network
> > > drive without any plugins for CRM?
Hello,

But, Matt, when you focus on another field, CRM adds a "http://" prefix to
your netword drive URL, which makes it impossible to open directly from
CRM...
Do I miss something here?

Thanks,

Elena

"MattNC" <MattNC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, you can add a custom field to any tab on a record.
> --
> Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP
> http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com
>

> "Shaun" wrote:
>
>> This can be done on any page in a customer record, correct?
>>
>> "MattNC" wrote:
>>
>> > Yes. If you want to add a link to a document on a CRM record, simply
>> > add a
>> > custom text field to your form and set the type to URL. Then you can
>> > copy the
>> > path of your document into the CRM field, assuming everyone who uses
>> > CRM in
>> > your organization can reach the document via the same path, such as
>> > V:/CompanyShared/Documents/somedocument.doc
>> >
>> > --
>> > Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP
>> > http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com

0
Elena
10/25/2006 12:45:07 PM
If you put the file in SharePoint, it is referenced as a web document.  You
can even show the document in an iframe within CRM.

--
Bill

"Elena" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> But, Matt, when you focus on another field, CRM adds a "http://" prefix to
> your netword drive URL, which makes it impossible to open directly from
> CRM...
> Do I miss something here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Elena
>
> "MattNC" <MattNC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, you can add a custom field to any tab on a record.
> > --
> > Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP
> > http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com
> >

> > "Shaun" wrote:
> >
> >> This can be done on any page in a customer record, correct?

File open from Windows Explorer fails after Get External Data
Using Excel 97, is anyone aware of a problem where, after having "got external data" from a SQL database into a spreadsheet, an Excel file will not open from Windows Explorer. I receive no error messages, the open simply does nothing. The only way of opening files is by using the File Open within Excel or closing Excel and re opening all files without "getting external data" at any time. Many thanks Fred Newton Zurich Financial Services Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again...

Exporting/Formatting External Data?
Looking for some good tips on how to do this more efficiently. My main problem is how to quickly format row labels with spaces. In brief, here's how I do it, which, admittedly, involves drudgery. For a table in, say, .pdf format, I copy the table into an MS Word document. Then, doing a search-and-replace, I substitute semicolons for the spaces in order to de-limit the data prior to exporting it into Excel. Of course, this also inserts semicolons between the words in the row labels, e.g., "Number;of;things." I then manually delete the semicolons--and the spaces they occupy--...

How do print multiple mail merge documents on one page?
I have an invitation that I want to print onto expensive paper. I can get 3 to a page. How can I get the mail merge facility to print different names on each of the 3 invites that occur on the same page? Rachel <Rachel@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have an invitation that I want to print onto expensive paper. I can > get 3 to a page. How can I get the mail merge facility to print > different names on each of the 3 invites that occur on the same page? You might start by reading the tutorial here: http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tab...

Using External/Non External Data
I have a workbook that has data imported through an iqy file in column A through F. Columns G through Z have data that is not an iqy file just regular data entry by the user. The problem is that when you use "refresh" data to import newly adde rows, the data does not stay consistent with the row. Columns through F will update, but the data in columns G through G will no stay with the follow the data in the column. Is there a way to anchor a row of data? Example: Column A will have a name, created by the iqy file. Column G will hav a date, not updated by the iqy file, but ma...

Problem with external data and #reference error
Hi, my Excel workbook has 2 sheets: 1. Source: with an external data reference to a MS Access database Query property "If number of rows changes after refresh" is set to option #1: "Insert cells for new data, delete unused cells" User chooses external query selection criteria and therefore can have different result sets. 2. Target: Formular B4: =Source!P5 Formular B5: =Source!P6 Formular B6: =Source!P7 Problem: When Source has data in rows 5, 6 and 7 formular gets calculated correctly. If Source row #5 has data and #6 and ...

deleteing documents
I cannot delete any documents in the recent document list that are not in use any longer, my list of recent documents just keeps getting longer; I have changed the pin to green to unpin the document but nothing happens......how do you delete the names (the files are no longer available) this is driving me nuts!!!! Hi, Right click the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen – go to Properties – Start Menu – Customize – Advanced – Clear list – OK Jaleel "Gildee" wrote: > I cannot delete any documents in the recent document list that are not in > use any longer, my list ...

Word stops responding everytime I close a document
Every time I try to close a word document I receive the message: "Microsoft Word has Stopped working" then it restarts. I have run a diagnostic and it says there is nothing wrong with my program. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I am running Office 2007 Professional. That was a bug in HP printer drivers but I thought that had died moons ago. Are you using an old HP printer? Have you updated the driver? -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "C2SDK" <C2SDK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FB6BA78-56D7-4D90-A09A-0EC7D3363077@microsof...

Access to external javascript file denied
I have a page in an ASP.NET web application that includes an external javascript file using a fairly basic script tag: <script src="DispatchRuleControl.js" type="text/javascript"></script> When running the application on the ASP.NET internal webserver everything works fine. When I try to host it on IIS7 however, access to the DispatchRuleControl.js file is denied and the request for the js file results in a redirect to the login page. In the directory where the offending *.js file is located, I have an ASP.NET web.config file that contains the fo...

Online Documentation
I would like to know if there is a web site out there where have implemented online documentation on the WEB using VISIO. For example, displaying a diagram (workflow) where you click a shape and you are taken to another diagram or some kind of text document. I am just curious if there is such a thing. Thanks. ...

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "long __cdecl _com_dispatch_method(struct IDispatch *,long,unsigned short,unsigned short,void *,wchar_t const *,...)" (?_com_dispatch_method@@YAJPAUIDispatch@
Hi, I have installed Visual Studio Express 2005, and the platform SDK. I'm trying to compile, but get this linker error. The only reference I found on the web was a post of this person describing the possible cause: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/ng/microsoft.public.platformsdk.sdk_install/post20679802.asp Any clues, hints.. ? Leo Well, since you didn't bother to put the error message in the body of the text, it is a bit hard to read. Please do not put content in the headers. I only see the first segment of the header in my reader. A header that contains interesting informatio...

Deleting a Document
Hello, I am trying to help a friend of mine who has Microsoft Office 2007. I have not been able to look at the problem myself, but here is what she described to me: "I cannot seem to delete a document, either from within Word 2007, or Windows Explorer. Here are the choices I get when I right mouse click on a document. . . Customize Quick Access Toolbar Show Quick Access Toolbar Below the Ribbon Minimize the Ribbon" Has anyone encountered this type of problem, or can someone suggest to me where to research this type of problem? I know this is not a lot of ...

External Email Delivery
Hi, Have a new Exchange enviornment: Windows 2003 SP1 Enteprise running Exchange 2003 SP1 Enterprise. Have recently added to this the following: Exchange Cluster running Windows 2003 SP2 R2 & Exchange Enterprise 2003 SP2. I have moved 10 mailboxes over to the new cluster, and everything appeared to be fine. However, have just noticed that staff on the new cluster, cannot send email Externally. We are getting delayed messages. When I check the Queue on the Cluster, the messages are sitting in the Internet Mail Connector. How does mail flow work, when another Exchange server i...

Incoherent DLL linkin
HelloWorld! This is my problem: I'm trying to create an MFC application and and MFC dll with some classes. I include the .h files (of those classes of course) into the stdafx.h of the application projet (e.g. gfxPoint.h, gfxPolygon.h ....). When I compile i receive a lot of C4273 warnings....and some LNK4217 warning.......but the program works fine! It loads the dll and does his job.... Any help? Thanks!! Ok! Google solved it! http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Programming_Languages/Cplusplus/Q_20949563.html > HelloWorld! > This is my problem: I'm trying to cre...

Writing valid XML document based on Schema
Does anyone have a best practices recommendation on writing a valid XML document based on a 3rd party XML schema? I have a working solution but I would like to know if anyone has a better approach. My solution: 1) Pull the data from the database into datatables (in my case, this is DB2). 2) Validate all required data columns (I've written a method that iterates through all the datatables rows and throws an exception if anything would invalidate the resulting XML file). 3) Using the XmlWriter class, write the XML file. What complicates the logic is that the source data is spread over mult...

How to merge individual Publisher files into a single document?
I want to e-mail about 500 individaul one page files and need to find a way to merge them into a single document. I am not familiar with catalog merge. Is this the way to go? Are these 500 files separate publications? When you finish combining them will the result be a 500 page document? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Struggling" <Struggling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9CC4CEB-66D2-49D6-95DB-2CF804F85341@microso...

Documents Embedded in Calendar Entries
Is there anyway to easily find calendar entries that may have embedded documents containted within? Lawrence, Take a look at the find features, you can select the "Advanced Find" and then the "More Choices" tab Select the "Only Items With" check box. Use the dropdown and select the "one or more attachments. I hope this helped Rick Regello professionalman@pacbell.net "Lawrence" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07b001c3a78c$b40fa4d0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there anyway to easily find calendar entries that may ...

boot from external drive
I would like my laptop to boot from an external drive until I can replace the internal drive. can you tell me how to boot from my external drive? -- dreammaker ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dreammaker's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/239786.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/xp-hardware/1350506.htm http://forums.techarena.in dreammaker wrote: > I would like my laptop to boot from an external drive until I can > replace the internal drive. > can you tell me how to boot from my external d...

this workbook contains queries to external data
I opened a excel document and this message shows "this workbook contains queries to external data that refreshes automatically." How can I modify this workbook so that I can get rid of the queries and not show this message again. I am not sure if this is a virus or it is in the worksheet on purpose. And it is a simple worksheet with some http links as the values. Plus, if I send this document to another person, he may not want to open this workbook worrying about virus. How can I get rid off these queries? Thanks! Hi try the following add-in to find/delete these links: http:...

Contacts / External Recipients
How can I exclude Contacts (External Recipeints) from the GAL and have them in a separate address list within the same organization? I created an address list in ESM, setup a filter view with all of our external vendors. How can I make it so they don't show up in the GAL, but only via a drop down in the address book. if you open the contact using ADU&C on the "Exchange Advanced" there is a check box to hide them from the address list. the bad thing about this is that I think it will hide the contact from ALL address lists. The only thing i can think of would be t...

Links to external workbooks
I need to remove links to external workbooks within a current Excel file. I have checked and removed range names as appropriate, searched each sheet for links within formulae and deleted these, and also checked all graphs. Is there anywhere else that these links may be hiding? Thanks, I'd check out the dellinks.exe from MS http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188449&Product=xlw HTH, Katherine "Gordon" <gahuja@kpmg.com.au> wrote in message news:062b01c39cde$17309b00$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I need to remove links to external workbooks within...

External Datasources
Hey all, Need some suggestions... We have added some custom schema fields that represent primary keys to corporate data in other databases. We have also created a custom search framework that joins between this information (ie: AccountBase joined to external source) via views and stored procedures. We'd really like to integrate the CRM security (ie: what accounts you can/cannot view/edit, etc...) but have kinda hit a wall. We can attempt to mimic the authority based upon the Role/Privilege tables, but this obviously is begging to be broken in a future version. It was suggeste...

how do i retrieve an unnamed deleted document
I was working on a paper and I did not save the document I mistakingly deleted it, is there a way I can get that paper back? If you didn't save the document, you cannot retrieve the changes. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Puddyn" <Puddyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DFD4FB4E-F998-465E-9218-0222450E300B@microsoft.com... >I was working on a paper and I did not save the document I mistakingly > deleted it, is there a way I can get that paper back? If nothing was saved, there is nothing to recover. On Dec 11, 7:11=A0a...

can a new email notification be sent to an external recipient?
Here's the situation. Exchange 2003 SP2. A certain group of users wants to be notified in their external email accounts (hotmail, gmail, etc) when they receive a new message in their corporate inbox on the Exchange server. How can I do this? There are folks here who might have a better idea, but you could just have the user create a rule in Outlook to send a notice, they could just turn on that rule when needed. The problem you might encounter is that, by default, Exchange won't allow external Auto relaying/forwarding. Here's an article that explains how to change ...

External email goes to random second (external) recipient!
Folks, I have a strange issue, and just wanted to find out if anyone's had a similar problem. We're running Exchange 2k - fully patched, etc. An external email came in destined for one of our employees, and was delivered successfully to said employee. However, this email was also mysteriously sent to a contact - not in our global address book or any other place - of another employee! This contact does NOT know the external sender or the recipient. I'm just baffled - I can't see any info in the headers that would explain why it was copied to the external recipient! thanks, roa...

How can I link a cell to an external photo?
I have a list of employees listing information about each and would like to show photo ID from link to get a photo popup to identify each one by their picture check out hyperlinks.... -- paul remove nospam for email addy! "graphicsjunky" wrote: > I have a list of employees listing information about each and would like to > show photo ID from link to get a photo popup to identify each one by their > picture Hi, you can also insert a photo into a comment. This will show a photo when hovering over the cell if that's what yo are after. Insert a comment into the...