Leads and B2C vs. B2B

I'm still trying to understand the basic flow of states between leads,
contacts, accounts and opportunities.

We are in a direct relations with our customers and _we_ call potential
clients. So leads make no sense for us, so I guess we have to start directly
with accounts. Is that correct?

I am also correct to assume that a client should be a contact in a B2C
relation and an account  in a B2B relation?

Lastly, if we are in a B2C relation, we can't really use leads, which
require a Company field, can we?

Or am I completely misunderstanding the logic of the application?
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Leads are meant to deal with sales opportunities with "unqualified
customers", i.e. people / companies requesting info via your website,
visiting a tradeshow, bought mailinglists, etc.

Leads need to be qualified and it's info checked, updated and completed.
After qualification, Lead information can be conversed to / split into three
new entities, Account, Contact and Opportunity.

If your in B2C it's not likely you want collect Account related info, so you
may remove Account related fields from your Lead Form via Customization. If
you qualify a B2C lead you will only use the Contact and Opportunity
entities.

However, if you stumble over a sales opportunity with an existing customer
(Account and/or Contact), you may skip the Lead phase and create an
Opportunity for this Customer.

Hope this helps,

Richard Fransen
Microsoft CRM Certified Professional
Axonom Certified Professional

"onehourlate" wrote:

> I'm still trying to understand the basic flow of states between leads,
> contacts, accounts and opportunities.
>
> We are in a direct relations with our customers and _we_ call potential
> clients. So leads make no sense for us, so I guess we have to start directly
> with accounts. Is that correct?
>
> I am also correct to assume that a client should be a contact in a B2C
> relation and an account  in a B2B relation?
>
> Lastly, if we are in a B2C relation, we can't really use leads, which
> require a Company field, can we?
>

> Or am I completely misunderstanding the logic of the application?
You do not need to use leads if they do not fit your business model. If they
are not useful, don't use them. In which case, remove all privileges on them
in all user security roles, so your users do not see irrelevant forms etc

Peter Lynch

"onehourlate" <onehourlate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm still trying to understand the basic flow of states between leads,
> contacts, accounts and opportunities.
>
> We are in a direct relations with our customers and _we_ call potential
> clients. So leads make no sense for us, so I guess we have to start
> directly
> with accounts. Is that correct?
>
> I am also correct to assume that a client should be a contact in a B2C
> relation and an account  in a B2B relation?
>
> Lastly, if we are in a B2C relation, we can't really use leads, which
> require a Company field, can we?
>

> Or am I completely misunderstanding the logic of the application?

0
Peter
5/31/2005 8:23:09 AM
So it is right to say that  Contacts are B2C clients ?

Following your advice, I just discovered that I could indeed make the Name
field optional in the lead form, however, the default view still has 'name'
as the primary column and I can't seem to change that...

Blaise

"Richard Fransen" wrote:

> Leads are meant to deal with sales opportunities with "unqualified
> customers", i.e. people / companies requesting info via your website,
> visiting a tradeshow, bought mailinglists, etc.
>
> Leads need to be qualified and it's info checked, updated and completed.
> After qualification, Lead information can be conversed to / split into three
> new entities, Account, Contact and Opportunity.
>
> If your in B2C it's not likely you want collect Account related info, so you
> may remove Account related fields from your Lead Form via Customization. If
> you qualify a B2C lead you will only use the Contact and Opportunity
> entities.
>
> However, if you stumble over a sales opportunity with an existing customer
> (Account and/or Contact), you may skip the Lead phase and create an
> Opportunity for this Customer.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Richard Fransen
> Microsoft CRM Certified Professional
> Axonom Certified Professional
>

> "onehourlate" wrote:
>
> > I'm still trying to understand the basic flow of states between leads,
> > contacts, accounts and opportunities.
> >
> > We are in a direct relations with our customers and _we_ call potential
> > clients. So leads make no sense for us, so I guess we have to start directly
> > with accounts. Is that correct?
> >
> > I am also correct to assume that a client should be a contact in a B2C
> > relation and an account  in a B2B relation?
> >
> > Lastly, if we are in a B2C relation, we can't really use leads, which
> > require a Company field, can we?
> >

> > Or am I completely misunderstanding the logic of the application?
Thats one feature of MS CRM ;)

It is not advisable to leave the "Primary Field" empty since you cant remove
it from forms and it is _always_ the first element in views.

"blepeuple" <blepeuple@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> So it is right to say that  Contacts are B2C clients ?
>
> Following your advice, I just discovered that I could indeed make the Name
> field optional in the lead form, however, the default view still has
> 'name'
> as the primary column and I can't seem to change that...
>
> Blaise
>
> "Richard Fransen" wrote:
>
>> Leads are meant to deal with sales opportunities with "unqualified
>> customers", i.e. people / companies requesting info via your website,
>> visiting a tradeshow, bought mailinglists, etc.
>>
>> Leads need to be qualified and it's info checked, updated and completed.
>> After qualification, Lead information can be conversed to / split into
>> three
>> new entities, Account, Contact and Opportunity.
>>
>> If your in B2C it's not likely you want collect Account related info, so
>> you
>> may remove Account related fields from your Lead Form via Customization.
>> If
>> you qualify a B2C lead you will only use the Contact and Opportunity
>> entities.
>>
>> However, if you stumble over a sales opportunity with an existing
>> customer
>> (Account and/or Contact), you may skip the Lead phase and create an
>> Opportunity for this Customer.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Richard Fransen
>> Microsoft CRM Certified Professional
>> Axonom Certified Professional
>>

>> "onehourlate" wrote:
>>
>> > I'm still trying to understand the basic flow of states between leads,
>> > contacts, accounts and opportunities.
>> >
>> > We are in a direct relations with our customers and _we_ call potential
>> > clients. So leads make no sense for us, so I guess we have to start
>> > directly
>> > with accounts. Is that correct?
>> >
>> > I am also correct to assume that a client should be a contact in a B2C
>> > relation and an account  in a B2B relation?
>> >
>> > Lastly, if we are in a B2C relation, we can't really use leads, which
>> > require a Company field, can we?
>> >

>> > Or am I completely misunderstanding the logic of the application?

0
Thiemo
5/31/2005 1:01:12 PM
And its also the field used in most lookups for that object type, so if that
field's empty its going to be very difficult to find those objects in many
situations

"Thiemo Ripper" <thiemo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thats one feature of MS CRM ;)
>
> It is not advisable to leave the "Primary Field" empty since you cant
> remove it from forms and it is _always_ the first element in views.
>

> "blepeuple" <blepeuple@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> So it is right to say that  Contacts are B2C clients ?
>>
>> Following your advice, I just discovered that I could indeed make the
>> Name
>> field optional in the lead form, however, the default view still has
>> 'name'
>> as the primary column and I can't seem to change that...
>>
>> Blaise
>>
>> "Richard Fransen" wrote:
>>
>>> Leads are meant to deal with sales opportunities with "unqualified
>>> customers", i.e. people / companies requesting info via your website,
>>> visiting a tradeshow, bought mailinglists, etc.
>>>
>>> Leads need to be qualified and it's info checked, updated and completed.
>>> After qualification, Lead information can be conversed to / split into
>>> three
>>> new entities, Account, Contact and Opportunity.
>>>
>>> If your in B2C it's not likely you want collect Account related info, so
>>> you
>>> may remove Account related fields from your Lead Form via Customization.
>>> If
>>> you qualify a B2C lead you will only use the Contact and Opportunity
>>> entities.
>>>
>>> However, if you stumble over a sales opportunity with an existing
>>> customer
>>> (Account and/or Contact), you may skip the Lead phase and create an
>>> Opportunity for this Customer.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>>
>>> Richard Fransen
>>> Microsoft CRM Certified Professional
>>> Axonom Certified Professional

0
Peter
5/31/2005 6:44:26 PM
Who defines this "primary field"?
I the schema, it seems it's not a primary key... (it's prospectid)

So who defines that such and such is the primary field, and why can I not
change it? It deems rather weird that they'd let us make it optional in the
form and not in the vue ...

Thanks

Blaise

"Thiemo Ripper" wrote:

> Thats one feature of MS CRM ;)
>
> It is not advisable to leave the "Primary Field" empty since you cant remove
> it from forms and it is _always_ the first element in views.

Its all defined by Microsoft.
All primary fields are set to be mandatory by default.

But as far as I can remember you wont be able (using a supported way) to
remove it from the from you wont even be able to put it into another tab.

If you make such fields optional, its your choice - but you shouldnt
complain when after severals weeks you figure out that some reports or
something like that fail just because you didnt like the notion of it ;)

But: it's up to you to give it another displayed name and therefore some
other functionality.
But always keep in mind, that the primary field is the first one in the view
and you cant even manage the displayed width since it is somehow
"in-a-way-hard-coded"

> Who defines this "primary field"?
> I the schema, it seems it's not a primary key... (it's prospectid)
>
> So who defines that such and such is the primary field, and why can I not
> change it? It deems rather weird that they'd let us make it optional in
> the
> form and not in the vue ...
>
> Thanks
>
> Blaise
>
> "Thiemo Ripper" wrote:
>
>> Thats one feature of MS CRM ;)
>>
>> It is not advisable to leave the "Primary Field" empty since you cant
>> remove
>> it from forms and it is _always_ the first element in views.

0
Thiemo
6/1/2005 6:22:54 AM
That's kind of the problem:
The Lead objects key is the fullname. Which means that the search box and
the bottom shortcut works on the fullname and on nothing else.

However, leads for us are companies, not contacts, so it is somewhat
annoying to not be able to search by company name and to be stuck with full
name searches in the list of leads.

I guess I could change the labels and the mapping beteen name and company
name but that's just begging for trouble down the road...

"Peter Lynch" wrote:

> And its also the field used in most lookups for that object type, so if that
> field's empty its going to be very difficult to find those objects in many
> situations

Lead to Product and Lead to Competitor relationships
While browsing MS CRM logical DB Diagrams (http://www.microsoft.com/ dynamics/crm/using/sdk/DBDiagrams.mspx) for Sales Entities, I have found many-to-many relationship between Lead and Competitor entities. In SQL Server I made a diagram with the following tables: LeadBase, ProductBase and CompetitorBase and then I added tables LeadCompetitors, LeadProduct (these tables contain no data in my case). You can see my diagram below. I saw many-to-many relationships between Lead & Product and Lead & Competitor. As far as I understand, these relationships must support functionality for adding ...

o I need both VS@010 and MS Visual Developer 2010 Express
I have vs2010 Ultimate and just noticed I also have installed MS Visual Developer 2010 Express. I think that may have been downloaded by MS Web Platform when I downloaded something else - but I'm not sure! I definetly do not want to mess up my VS2010 but would like to delete the MS Visual Developer 2010 Express if I don't need it. Deleteing it will not do anything to VS2010 will it? There is no reason I should have both, is there? Thanks in advance Cal Who wrote: > I have vs2010 Ultimate and just noticed I also have installed MS Visual > Develop...

Retail Chain Manager Vs LS Retail
I'd like to know which are the main differences between the two solutions: Retail Chain Manager and LS Retail. Which is the best? Why? Which are the features of the two products? Thanks I think RCM is built on AX and LS is based on NAV. I am not sure which is best, but if you are in clothing/footwear also consider Pebblestone for NAV "Mt" wrote: > I'd like to know which are the main differences between the two solutions: > Retail Chain Manager and LS Retail. > Which is the best? Why? > Which are the features of the two products? > Thanks > ...

Converting Lead Notes and Activies information into Opportunity re
The Lead Activities (phone calls, emails, task, appointments, fax, letter) and the Notes created while working on a Lead do not "convert" into the Opportunity. To get this information, you have to go to Closed Leads or drill down through the Originating Lead link. I've read that this will be in 2.0 but in the meantime, can anyone suggest a simple workaround. I would also like to hear about the best way to do this, simple or note. If I create new fields in the Lead form and map them to new fields in the opportunity form, the activity functionality is reduced to that of ...

CSV File
I am opening a common delimted file in Excel and formating 2 fields as "text" to retain leading zeros. They appear correctly in Excel. I then need to save as a "csv" file and retain the leading zeros. How can I do this? The zero's always drop off in the csv file when retrieved again in excel. TIA hi, do you need to save the csv every time, if you save I agree it will remove the zeros. There is no perfect solution to this but if your file format is standard, you may consider preparing a excel template with the repeate, concencanate and left and right formul...

Fill leading zeros
I have a SELECT statement that I want to fill leading zeros in one column and trailing blanks in another column up to xx characters. For example SELECT CAST(EmployeeNumber AS varchar(8)) If the EmployeeNumber is 1234 I want to output 00001234 SELECT CAST(LastName AS varchar(15)) If the LastName is SMITH I want to output SMITHxxxxxxxxxx where x = space Could this be done by casting a CHAR(15)? Thanks. -- David DavidC wrote: > SELECT CAST(EmployeeNumber AS varchar(8)) > If the EmployeeNumber is 1234 I want to output 00001234 SELECT RIGHT('00000000' + CAS...

Cleared vs Reconciled?
I'm just starting to try Money 2007 Deluxe. Wondering what the difference is between the transaction status (C)leared and (R)econciled in the advanced register? Thanks! PS - is there any easy way to find this kind of information? I tried searching the applications help (no luick), the online User Guide has no search capability and didn't fins anything in this forum. Great timing. You might want to read up on the threads here since the 11th before spending a lot of energy on this. Cleared basically means that it is an item known to have made it to the bank. Reconciled me...

Generate Leads/Accounts/Cases from a public website?
Greetings all, My employer asked me to investigate using a public .Net website to help generate information to be used in CRM. Specifically, he'd like our website to have webforms that, when filled out and submitted, would generate leads, accounts, or cases depending on what our needs are (I suspect generating leads would suffice for now). Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to accomplish this? I've found it difficult to find information online concerning this. We're currently using CRM 3.0 although I'd be interested to know what differences would be in...

Lead Number
Hi, I want to count the number of lead in the database with reports, but don't known how to do ? If anyone has an idea ? Thanks Bernard You won't be able to accomplish this by using the Report Wizard. You need to use the SRS BI tool for Visual Studio. HTH SS "info@alsaceformation.fr" wrote: > Hi, > > I want to count the number of lead in the database with reports, but > don't known how to do ? If anyone has an idea ? > > Thanks > Bernard > On 14 ao=FBt, 16:01, SS <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > You won't be able t...

The All Leads view is not All Leads.
The system-provided viewed call All Leads doesn’t include qualified leads. A better name would be All Active Leads. Problem – You can’t rename the view. You also can’t fix the filter to include all qualified leads. I’ll try to hack CRM to remove the All Leads view. What especially bothers me is that MBS Support replied “Currently it is not possible to change the pre-set views in CRM, as you have already described.” I knew that much but it seems such a fix would be very easy to release in a KB article fix. It would be nice to hear “Yes, I agree that is not the best name for that ...

MONTHLY vs. daily compounded interest in a Loan...
It seems Money (2004) defaults to compounding mortgage loan interests daily. My bank compounds once monthly. As such, our balances are always off by a few dollars. Any suggestions? In microsoft.public.money, Aaron Segal wrote: >It seems Money (2004) defaults to compounding mortgage loan >interests daily. My bank compounds once monthly. > >As such, our balances are always off by a few dollars. > >Any suggestions? When you enter a loan, it is better to enter the payment data and let Money computer the rate. I'm not sure I understand how that will help. My situation ...

Convert LEad->Opportunity
When I try to convert lead to opportunity I recived message that "unexpected error occures. For more information conact to your administrator" . Thx Lidia get the admin to check the crm web server event logs -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Lidia" <lidia@op.pl> wrote in message news:2F8C6B99-EC86-4DAA-8F9D-A67AD44F9758@microsoft.com... > When I try to convert lead to opportunity I recived message that "unexpected > error occures. For more information conact to your administrator" . > > Thx > Lidia Hi, ...

Lead Alert emails are going into salesmen's outlook junk folder
CRM 3.0 We have a rule created that when a new Lead is saved an email goes out to all the business developers stating a new Lead with information, extracted from the Lead, in the body of the email. Often, but not all the time, a Lead Alert email is automatically moved into their Junk Mail folder (Outlook 2003). Is this a bug with a fix? Have you ever encountered this problem? If so, how did you resolve it? -- Thank you, scrowley(AT)littleonline.com can you add the sender(s) to the safe-senders list in OL - that should eliminate them being marked as junk. Dave Ireland "Sandy Cro...

Leading Zeroes
I am trying to save an Excel spreadsheet as a .csv (comma delimited) file. The problem is that whenever you open the .csv file, you find that on some of the fields, the leading zeroes are cut off. I need to know why this happens and how to stop it. All the fields in the original Excel file are set to text. Thanks for any help. Craig Craig, If you're reopening the csv file in Excel, it is likely formatting those fields as numeric, dropping the zeroes. Try opening it in Notepad. Notepad shows you character for character what's in the file. If you really can't get Excel...

Domain Controller vs. Workgroup
I will setting up a single server 2003 Standard edition(dual cpu) 4GB ram. This is the only server accounting will have. There is no domain controller. GP will be installed on this server and SQL 2005 express will be installed here. It may also be used as a Terminal Server. There will be 4 users. THe functionality used will be GL,AP,AR,Payroll (25 employees) Bank Rec and Report writer. Which is better, configuring the server as Domain Server (GP will be the only application on this server) or workgroup. Either way I would still like to configure it as a Terminal Server. Thanks You ...

Bulk reactivate leads
Hi, We have qualified thousands of sales leads in error, and now wish to reactivate them, changing their status from qualified to open. Is there an easy way to do this as a bulk process? ...

Search Listbox vs Table Query
I have a calendar form in my AC2003 database. I need to verify if the entry in the access calendar is in their outlook calendar. During the load of the access calendar for a month I: 1. load all outlook calendar entries into a listbox with start, end and subject, this happens once per month, then 2. for each entry in the access calendar per month I perform a scan of the outlook calendar listbox to see if a matching entry is found. As the users outlook calendar grows, the listbox grows as well. It's now at a point that it takes about 60 to go thru this process and display ...

changing default lead lookup from email tracked in outlook client
When I click 'Track in CRM' and then 'Regarding' when composing an email in the Outlook Client, and then select Lead from the dropdown, all leads (including disqualified leads) appear in the selection list. How can I change this view to filter on Active Leads only? thanks Garnet This feature is not available in CRM v3. I have filed this as a suggestion for a future release. -- Jason -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Garnet" <Garnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64E6C45E-428...

Converting Leads and Lead Associations
I notice that when I try to convert a lead to an Opportunity, associate it to an existing account, then click the Contact checkbox, the Account is grey'd out. Why does it do that? When I convert the lead it then associates the opportunity to the Contact vs. the Account?? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks! You must attached an opportunity to either an account or a contact. The account, contact, and opportunity buttons are to create new objects, only. If you associate the opportunity to an existing account, then you can't create a new one, too... HTH, Dave ------------...

Modifying the Convert Lead dialog
Hello, Where do I customize the Convert Lead web page dialog screen? I don't want the option to convert a lead to an Account. So I'd like to remove that option all together. I'd also prefer if "Contact" and "Opportunity" were always selected. Thanks. Alex Hi, Convert Lead Dialog is not customizable in supported way. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post is helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan :: Freelance Consultant Email Contact :: imumar at gmail dot com "gtp101" wrote: > Hello, > Where do I customize the C...

Leading-zeros disappear from auto-numbers (quotations, invoices, e
Hi, After upgrading from CRM3 to CRM4, the generation of, for instance, quotes, has changed: CRM3: QUO-04567-XXXXXX CRM4: QUO-4568-XXXXXX How can I preserve leading zeros? Is it a bug? Thanks and regards, ...

Current Yield vs. Yield to Maturity at low prices
When comparing Current Yield to YTM (as calculated from the Excel Yield () function), there are instances when Current Yield > YTM for discounted bonds. I can't seem to make sense of this. For example, the Current Yield for a $100 par-valued bond, with a 10% rate, and price of 1 is 10. But using the function Yield(11/1/09, 11/1/11, 10%, 1, 100, 4) gives a YTM of 9.35 I notice this is only happening with extremely low-priced bonds. I don't think there would ever be an instance when YTM < Current Yield, except for bonds purchased at a premium, so could this is a prob...

Error encountered when converting Lead to Opportunity
A Sales user encountered a Server Application error when converting a Lead and she is now unable to find the Lead or the Account. I have verified it is not listed in Leads or Accounts, but I do not know where or how to search the database tables to find out where is is still stored at. Any help would be appreciated! Have you looked at the "Closed Leads" view, or used Advanced Find to query for leads modified today (leave the status out of the query). You can also look for accounts created today to see if it got created as something unexpected. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http:/...

Trying to alter filegroup to READONLY from with VS
I'm using VS 2008 and SQL Server 2008 with all the latest updates. From within VB, I'm trying to issue a command to change a filegroup to READWRITE status. I make sure the connection on the DB I'm using is closed, and then I run the following code. dbNameStr is the name of the DB I currently using, and cnStr is the connection string to the DB named dbNameStr. cn.Close cn.ConnectionString = Replace(cnStr, dbNameStr, "master") SQL_cmd.CommandText = "USE master; ALTER DATABASE [" & dbNameStr & "] MODIFY FILEGROUP [Archive] READ_WRI...

Pub vs Word
Our group sends an 8 page newsletter consisting of articles and photos. We do it in Publisher 2000. We have been advised by a computer expert that we should do it in Word - 1) so that it can be emailed to those of our members with internet access and, 2) that we would have more room for articles, without boxes taking up space. I thought Publisher was expressly for such publications and had advantages over Word for layout etc. Should we change to Word? Can the newsletter be converted to Word when finished for those members with email and Word? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on ...