Knowledge Base Import

Can someone direct me to the correct process and file structure to import
Knowledge Base articles please. CRM 4.0.

0
demcfo (6)
6/30/2008 6:48:02 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

are you trying to import them as attachment (on note) ? if so what
tool are you using? data migration manager?

/Aamir
0
whatelseto (435)
6/30/2008 8:29:02 PM
Thank you.

I am trying to import unique and seperate articles to the KB. Article
template would originate in excel. Have tried to establish data map and to
use wizard. Errror message says that "source data is not in the required
format".

"Aamir Bashir" wrote:

> are you trying to import them as attachment (on note) ? if so what
> tool are you using? data migration manager?
>

> /Aamir

0
demcfo (6)
6/30/2008 8:41:10 PM
Have you read this help on data migration manager ? The best way is to
try to migrate 1-5 records and it will be easy to track down the error
and format.

Articles in Microsoft Dynamics CRM require a subject ( A category used
in a hierarchical list to correlate and organize information. Subjects
are used in the subject tree to organize products, sales literature,
and knowledge base articles. ) and a template ( A framework for an e-
mail message, contract, or article. Templates are used to ensure
consistent layouts and content in similar types of documents. ) .

If your source system does not use a subject hierarchy, you need to
create this either by migrating a Subjects.csv file containing the
subjects, or by creating the subjects in Microsoft Dynamics CRM prior
to migrating data.
In the Navigation Pane, click Settings, click Business Management, and
then click Subjects.
For more information, on the Subjects form, click Help, and then click
Help on This Page.
If your source system does not use templates for articles, you need to
create a default template in Microsoft Dynamics CRM prior to migrating
data.
In the Navigation Pane, click Settings, click Templates, and then
click Article Templates.
For more information, on the Article Templates form, click Help, and
then click Help on This Page.

You will also need to make sure every article record that you are
migrating includes a Subject column, with a valid reference to a
subject, and a Template column, with a valid reference to a template.

Required Preparation in Source Files
Edit your article's source .csv file:

Add two new columns: Subject, Template.
For each record, in the new Subject column, enter one of the subject
values you entered in the Subject Tree.
For each record, in the new Template column, enter one of the template
values you entered in the Article Templates page.
Mapping in the Data Migration Manager
When you are mapping data using the Data Migration Wizard, map your
new columns as follows:

Subject: map to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Subject (subjectid)
attribute.
Template: map to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Base Template
(kbarticletemplateid) attribute.
Learn More
Resource Center

Entity Reference (Resource Center)

Related Topic

/Aamir

0
whatelseto (435)
6/30/2008 8:59:09 PM
Thank you sir. I had added both a subject and a template as advised in set-up
and included those names in my import (.csv) file. Continue to get "source
data not in reuired format" error. Source column names are exactly the same
as CRM targets.

I really appreciate your help.

//dem

"Aamir Bashir" wrote:

> Have you read this help on data migration manager ? The best way is to
> try to migrate 1-5 records and it will be easy to track down the error
> and format.
>

> Articles in Microsoft Dynamics CRM require a subject ( A category used
> in a hierarchical list to correlate and organize information. Subjects
> are used in the subject tree to organize products, sales literature,
> and knowledge base articles. ) and a template ( A framework for an e-
> mail message, contract, or article. Templates are used to ensure
> consistent layouts and content in similar types of documents. ) .
>
> If your source system does not use a subject hierarchy, you need to
> create this either by migrating a Subjects.csv file containing the
> subjects, or by creating the subjects in Microsoft Dynamics CRM prior
> to migrating data.
> In the Navigation Pane, click Settings, click Business Management, and
> then click Subjects.
> For more information, on the Subjects form, click Help, and then click
> Help on This Page.
> If your source system does not use templates for articles, you need to
> create a default template in Microsoft Dynamics CRM prior to migrating
> data.
> In the Navigation Pane, click Settings, click Templates, and then
> click Article Templates.
> For more information, on the Article Templates form, click Help, and
> then click Help on This Page.
>
> You will also need to make sure every article record that you are
> migrating includes a Subject column, with a valid reference to a
> subject, and a Template column, with a valid reference to a template.
>
> Required Preparation in Source Files
> Edit your article's source .csv file:
>
> Add two new columns: Subject, Template.
> For each record, in the new Subject column, enter one of the subject
> values you entered in the Subject Tree.
> For each record, in the new Template column, enter one of the template
> values you entered in the Article Templates page.
> Mapping in the Data Migration Manager
> When you are mapping data using the Data Migration Wizard, map your
> new columns as follows:
>
> Subject: map to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Subject (subjectid)
> attribute.
> Template: map to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Base Template
> (kbarticletemplateid) attribute.
> Learn More
> Resource Center
>
> Entity Reference (Resource Center)
>
> Related Topic
>

> /Aamir

0
demcfo (6)
6/30/2008 9:34:00 PM
The problem is in data and sometime when you make CSV , data migration
manager throw the error . To make the thing simple just import  single
(1) record and see if you get the error of data format?

the place where you installed the data migration manager , you will
find data migration manager help. Please read it also while
importing.

/Aamir
0
whatelseto (435)
6/30/2008 9:46:45 PM
I have not had success with creating data maps to import records using the
Import Tool.  I have had success importing those same records when CRM
recognizes the Import file and creates the mapping automatically.

You can make this happen by using advanced find or some other grid display
of the KB articles.  Add the columns to the CRM grid display that exist in
your csv file and then export to Excel.  Copy and paste the header columns
from Excel into your csv file.  This should ensure that the headings match
exactly and CRM should be able to autmatically create the data map.

Regards

"dem@cfo" wrote:

> Thank you sir. I had added both a subject and a template as advised in set-up
> and included those names in my import (.csv) file. Continue to get "source
> data not in reuired format" error. Source column names are exactly the same
> as CRM targets.
>
> I really appreciate your help.
>
> //dem
>
> "Aamir Bashir" wrote:
>
> > Have you read this help on data migration manager ? The best way is to
> > try to migrate 1-5 records and it will be easy to track down the error
> > and format.
> >

> > Articles in Microsoft Dynamics CRM require a subject ( A category used
> > in a hierarchical list to correlate and organize information. Subjects
> > are used in the subject tree to organize products, sales literature,
> > and knowledge base articles. ) and a template ( A framework for an e-
> > mail message, contract, or article. Templates are used to ensure
> > consistent layouts and content in similar types of documents. ) .
> >
> > If your source system does not use a subject hierarchy, you need to
> > create this either by migrating a Subjects.csv file containing the
> > subjects, or by creating the subjects in Microsoft Dynamics CRM prior
> > to migrating data.
> > In the Navigation Pane, click Settings, click Business Management, and
> > then click Subjects.
> > For more information, on the Subjects form, click Help, and then click
> > Help on This Page.
> > If your source system does not use templates for articles, you need to
> > create a default template in Microsoft Dynamics CRM prior to migrating
> > data.
> > In the Navigation Pane, click Settings, click Templates, and then
> > click Article Templates.
> > For more information, on the Article Templates form, click Help, and
> > then click Help on This Page.
> >
> > You will also need to make sure every article record that you are
> > migrating includes a Subject column, with a valid reference to a
> > subject, and a Template column, with a valid reference to a template.
> >
> > Required Preparation in Source Files
> > Edit your article's source .csv file:
> >
> > Add two new columns: Subject, Template.
> > For each record, in the new Subject column, enter one of the subject
> > values you entered in the Subject Tree.
> > For each record, in the new Template column, enter one of the template
> > values you entered in the Article Templates page.
> > Mapping in the Data Migration Manager
> > When you are mapping data using the Data Migration Wizard, map your
> > new columns as follows:
> >
> > Subject: map to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Subject (subjectid)
> > attribute.
> > Template: map to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Base Template
> > (kbarticletemplateid) attribute.
> > Learn More
> > Resource Center
> >
> > Entity Reference (Resource Center)
> >
> > Related Topic
> >

> > /Aamir

0
Donna (199)

Changing color of text based on formula result
It' tough getting old. Can someone please refresh my memory as to how you change the color of a cell's contents based on the result of the formula? Thanks. Mark Mark, Conditional Formatting is what you're after. Take a look here for examples: http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html John Mark wrote: > It' tough getting old. Can someone please refresh my > memory as to how you change the color of a cell's contents > based on the result of the formula? Thanks. > > Mark ...

import and recipient policies
OK. I've imported 1000 mail enabled contacts into an AD forest from a different AD forest using ldifde. The problem is after 20 minutes the default recipient policy resets the email address. I have tried using msexchpoliciesexcluded in my.ldf file but it doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to do this without creating another recipient policy to handle these contacts? Also, can the default policy filters be modified? thanks On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:37:07 -0800, "MJKQB" <MJKQB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >OK. I've imported 1000 mail enabled con...

Exporting email/contact files to CD then importing to new computer
I am trying to locate .pst files on a computer using XP Home operating system so that I can move them to a new computer. The files don't seem to exist. What is the procedure for moving old email files and contact lists to my new computer? Thanks >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to locate .pst files on a computer using XP >Home operating system so that I can move them to a new >computer. The files don't seem to exist. What is the >procedure for moving old email files and contact lists to >my new computer? >Thanks >. The .pst files are hidde...

Knowledge Base and font size
Hi, I am really frustrated with the knoeldge base in CRM. While on the one hand it makes sense to use it there are many short commings arround it (no attachments, customization, etc.). One big problem I currently have is, that when I paste an entry from the knowledge base into an email the fonts of the article text are huge (like 12 px or more). I was able to change the size of the title and everything, but I do not find any way to change the size of the article text. If anyone has an idea on that I would really appreciate it. Kind Regards Enno ...

how can I change color cursor? Legally blind, contrast important.
how can I change color cursor? Legally blind, contrast important. I am pretty sure you can't, but you may find some combination of Windows accessibility options that would help make it more visible to you. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "vokmaar van waag...

I need to filter based on colour
Hello I have a spreadsheet of Excel 2003 in which in one column (column B) there are entries coloured yellow and some with no colour (white). I need to filter and see only the yellow entries . But I need to filter all the columns of the spreadsheet based upon the yellow colour of column B. So I can see all the information in every other column of those yellow entries of column B. Can someone help me? Thanks Jimmy Unless all the yellows are derived from the same formula for a custom autofilte then you would need to have a for each loop macro that hid the non yellow rows. -- Don Guil...

import databases
We are just installing RMS for the first time. We need to import our existing database from PowerPOS software, that we've had for 8 years. How can we convert that database into the RMS database, without having to import each item one at a time? We have close to 80,000 individual products, 11,000 customers, and about 700 different suppliers to import. We really don't want to do this one at a time! So far, no info comes with the instructions to tell us how to do this, unless we have QuickSell 2000, which we do not. I don't want to sit here for the next 5 years importing data! ...

Knowledge Base 929445
Hey everyone. Does anyone know what changes are made in the GP update outlined in KB929445 (to version 9.00.0291)? The updates page lists this as the KB number for the update, but after almost a month of waiting there is still no information posted on the web. We need this update to update the Canadian Payroll tax tables, but the number of modules affected by it is extensive. We need to know what is affected so we know what we should be testing. Any information would be helpful. Thanks! ...

How to change the colour of a cell(s) based on cell value
Hello guys, I am stuck on this rather simple problem. Could not find any hel searching Google. I want to change the colour of a cell to green if the vallue is = Tru and to red if it is False. I have tried to use the Conditional Formating but without joy. Thank you -- Artful Dodge ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Artful Dodger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1656 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=32059 Hi select the cells choose format / conditional formatting choose cell...

Combine 2 data bases
I have designed 2 seperate data bases relating to Finances that have 2 Bank Accounts/Statements. They are both very similar. Is there a way I can link the 2 for the purpose of designing reports etc. Thanks for any help You can design (yet another) database , which uses links to the tables in your two existing databases, and build the reports in that database. To do so, use the File | Get External Data | Link Tables ... menu item in the new database. But why would you want to? Why not simply merge your two existing databases into one, rather than producing a third one? That's ce...

web-based MSN Money
Is the web-based version of Money equal in performance and ability to regular Money Deluxe? Has anyone used it? Pros? Cons? Thanks, Bob ...

LDR: Dll xy.dll base 100000 relocated due to collision with yx.dll
hi! as posted before i was wondering why my app coused 100% CPU-usage on WinNT and 0% on W2K/XP - i figured out that this could have to do with those dll relocations because almost every dll used by my app gets relocated... most of the dlls have a collision with one single dll of my own others have a collision with the exe itself. how to solve this? thanks, philipp You can change the default base address using project setting/Link/Output->Base Address -- Elias http://lgwm.org/ "Philipp Huber" <philipp.huber@innval.com> wrote in message news:bjmhop$v5b$06$1@news.t-on...

Take a look at this important pack from Microsoft Corporation
--uqqkvddiqp Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="chkhrtdwvcmek"; type="multipart/alternative" --chkhrtdwvcmek Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="ilyjfqiirp" --ilyjfqiirp Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to protect your computer from these vulnerabilities, the...

Backup and Restore Registry Knowledge
I would like to know how to BACKUP a good registry, say the first one after a complete factory restore. AND THEN, if in the future I wanted that same BACKUP restored, pristinely, without any later additions of programs, registry entries updates and such. In other words, the same registry I saved after a factory recover, would be RESTORED. How can such a thing be accomplished? Thanks, jack "jack0233" <jep0233@gmail.com> wrote in message news:87d2e49c-a2fa-4ec8-966a-58499731675d@x15g2000vbr.googlegroups.com... > I would like to know how to BACKUP a good regist...

How to add amount to a cell based on category and month
I have a list of expenxe categories and by month along the top. How can I write the sumif function based on two criteria from drop-down list(one list is Expenses and the second list is the Months) and the third (Amount) cell would be where I input an amount to be added into the table: Expenses month amount Fuel JAN _______ Expenses JAN FEB MAR Trucks/Auto Fuel 348.23 Oils 35.99 Maintenance 298.33 Parts 59.21 DMV 745.87 -- so many functions...!?!?!?!?!?!? If you are trying to fill a matr...

Can I save a re-useable template for Text Import Wizard?
I frequently have to import data from an accounts report txt file into Excel 2K, via the Text Import Wizard, fixed width mode. Is there any way to save the column width settings for future re-use? No. "Sinhavacin" wrote: > I frequently have to import data from an accounts report txt file into Excel > 2K, via the Text Import Wizard, fixed width mode. Is there any way to save > the column width settings for future re-use? How about this: If you're always importing files with the same layout, you could record a macro when you import one of these files. Start a n...

Custom base class for dialog
I have a base class derived from CDialog, let's call it CMyDialog. CMyDialog implements basic functionality that a large group of my dialogs need to have. One common member is a CGridCtrl (another derived class), that implements subitem editing. My issue comes to having handlers that respond to LVN_BEGINLABELEDIT as well as LVN_ENDLABELEDIT. To use the message map functionality I need to have some identifier such as IDC_LIST1. The problem of course is that CMyDialog doesn't have access to this value. The other problem is that perhaps the CGridCtrl members doesn't have the same dia...

Importing Outlines
I am using a trial version of Publisher 2007. We have outlines which we want to import into publisher. They are originally done in WordPerfect X3 then saved as Word. When opened in Word the numbers and levels are present. When this file is imported into Publisher the numbers and letters are lost. Our old Publisher 2000 would bring them in if we copied and pasted, but not import file. This is an important feature so is there any way to get a two or three level outline into Publisher 2007 Try this: Import your Word document, click apply a template from the task pane (the blank te...

Outlook 2003 Calendar Import
I copy my companies public folder calendar up to my Mailbox all appointments an stuff inside intact, then I export it as a Comma Separated Values (Windows) file. Then when it is imported into my personal calendar in Outlook 2003, some of the appointments that had lots of information in the notes box at the bottom do not have that information. I have the import replace duplicates when it is imported. I did some testing and noticed if I deleted some of the data in the notes box when re-exported and imported it would have the notes but the formatting would be gone. Is there a size limi...

Problem importing Eudora mail files
System is running XP Pro / Outlook 2002 SP-2. Trying to import mail files from Eudora lite 5.2. The address book info came over fine, but Outlook 2002 cannot seem to read the Eudora mail files. Keep getting an error message "Cannot access application files. Please check to be sure that program is not being accessed by other applications." ...

hive based registry + gac files (3rd party) -> troubles
using wince 5 (pb5) the hive based registry (storage card) works fine i have a .gac file for custom.dll (\Windows\custom.dll) and a .dat file which copies the custom.dll from \Storage Card\ to \Windows if i do a fresh restart of the system without folder 'Documents and Settings' for the registry hive everything wors fine: - i get the GAC_custom_v1_0_0_0_cneutral_1.dll in the \Windows folder - the custom.dll gets deleted from \Windows folder after a restart the registry hive already exists and gets merged during boot also the registry keys for my 3rd party assembly are n...

"Free Stock Trading Resources for you" "Knowledge is wealth" is the oft repeated, but absolute truth. And to add on to your knowledge arsenal, here are a few Excellent and Educative resources absolu
"Free Stock Trading Resources for you" "Knowledge is wealth" is the oft repeated, but absolute truth. And to add on to your knowledge arsenal, here are a few Excellent and Educative resources absolutely Free..The aim is to ensure that you Succeed on the Financial front. Check these out... May be it could mark the difference between Failure and Success. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Elliott Wave Video Crash Course http://www.elliottwave.com/a.asp?url=/wave/VideoCrashCo...

Terminal Server based Outlook 2007 printing hieroglyphics
We are running terminal services(Server 2008 R2) with Outlook 2007 installed (SP2). No other Office components are installed. When printing emails, (all other printing is fine), the text becomes compressed and looks like hieroglyphics. 1. I have tried removing all printer drivers and re-installing the drivers with no luck. 2. I have also applied the lastest patches and Service packs to the server and Outlook. 3. I have tried using different types of drivers with each printer ie. PS, MS, PCL5e, PCL6 etc with no luck. Any help would be appreciated as users are getting very fr...

Excel template for importing leads
Greetings Does anyone out there have a template that they have sued to import information from a csv file into MS CRM? I have tried a couple of times to do this with the limited information we are usually given for leads but the import always fails. I assume that this is due to fields that are required no being imported. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Steve ...

Novice Question
Ok, firstly, sorry for the very general question! Basically, I have coded a program using MFC. It is Dialog Based and consists of some textfields and a few buttons. My program is called DCP and the App Wizard created a DCP.cpp and DCPDlg.cpp files for me (and a few others). The bulk of the functionality of my program is written in the DCPDlg.cpp file - is this correct? For example, when I created a button and clicked on it in the resource (dialog) view it automatically puts a function for it in the DCPDlg.cpp file i.e. void CDCPDlg::OnButtonPrint() { // Do some stuff here } I have ne...