Is it true? Word Merge

Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
with Word?

I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.

Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.

Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
done 'outta the box'.

Thanks
Mike
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

This might do what u want

http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/codegallery.aspx?id=b44f8ee7-4d2b-4e39-9bfb-1119fffbe018

> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS
> CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then
> merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for
> us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot
> be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

0
Dyawlak
4/25/2007 1:32:36 PM
Soz thought the link led to the actual snap inlook at bottom of downloads
for  Snap-in for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 - Business Data Lookup

"Dyawlak" <dyawlak@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This might do what u want
>
> http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/codegallery.aspx?id=b44f8ee7-4d2b-4e39-9bfb-1119fffbe018
>

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS
>> CRM???
>> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then
>> merge
>> with Word?
>>
>> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with
>> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
>> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>>
>> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
>> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for
>> us.
>>
>> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot
>> be
>> done 'outta the box'.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mike

0
Dyawlak
4/25/2007 1:36:33 PM
Sadly enough you can do mail merge from the web client. However you can
create documents using reports which would work like mail merge. You define a
report in the report designer, set which fields to insert and after you
uploaded the report to CRM you can run report on any list created using
advanced finds.
The only drawbacks is that out of the box sql reporting services only
generates pdf documents and not word. However the pdfs do work pretty nice
but if this isn't enough there are components which allow you to create word
documents. We use a component from softartisants. I find this works easier
and better that the Ms supplied editor and the result is better, but is isn't
cheap.

--
Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD)
Lead Developer

"Mike" wrote:

> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike
The CRM Laptop and Desktop Outlook client allows you to perform Mail Merges.
You also build a CRM View that can populate a Dynamic Excel workbook that can
fuel any number of Word templates. The cool thing about using a Dynamic CRM
Excel file is that you can include as many attributes as you want from the
source entity. The uncool thing is that you cannot join on other entities in
a CRM View (to get User data, etc.)

"Patrick" wrote:

> Sadly enough you can do mail merge from the web client. However you can
> create documents using reports which would work like mail merge. You define a
> report in the report designer, set which fields to insert and after you
> uploaded the report to CRM you can run report on any list created using
> advanced finds.
> The only drawbacks is that out of the box sql reporting services only
> generates pdf documents and not word. However the pdfs do work pretty nice
> but if this isn't enough there are components which allow you to create word
> documents. We use a component from softartisants. I find this works easier
> and better that the Ms supplied editor and the result is better, but is isn't
> cheap.
>
> --
> Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD)
> Lead Developer
> Aviva IT
> Web: http://www.aviva-it.nl
>

> "Mike" wrote:
>
> > Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
> > The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
> > with Word?
> >
> > I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> > single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> > functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
> >
> > Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> > MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.
> >
> > Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
> > done 'outta the box'.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mike
Thanks to all so far.  We are getting closer.  I really hope I can make this
work as I really love everything else I have seen so far.

What I need to be able to do at a minimum is create and share merge
templates with our entire team.  Some of this team will be offline laptop
users.  Is there a way of syncing out documents to offline users?  What I
would ideally like to see is a custom Area in the navigation pane called
documents with a tree view of mergeable document templates. (We are currently
using Goldmine which does this).

Is this possible to do with custom code?  I suppose the C360 product gets me
pretty close.  Anyone know if it can merge in related record data?

Thanks again
Mike

"Mike" wrote:

> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike
>I suppose the C360 product gets me
> pretty close.  Anyone know if it can merge in related record data?

I left c360 before they picked up Mail Merge so I don't know for sure, but
the product description page says "Generate word documents with custom
entities and insert related information (from accounts, contacts)", so it
sounds like can... at least to some extent.
Mike,

Many times this type of word Mail Merge functionality is done in Outlook.
User's tend to run CRM from Outlook and as such the word mail merge is in
the Outlook Client.

In terms of linking to Excel..

With the right configuration it is actually not as complicated as it sounds.
You see you can setup a permanent Dynamic Excel spreadsheet that gets
automatically updated from CRM..

It is really a matter of .. it isn't obvious.. versus .. it can't be done
quickly.

--
Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM
President, The Norwich Group

Written on a Lenovo T60p running VISTA Ultimate
Tracked in MS Dynamics CRM v3.0 Rollup 1, Outlook Client v3.0C (with hotfix)
Good Neighbor to Groove 2007, OneNote 2007, Office Enterprise 2007,
Autotask, LinkedIN,
TypePad and More!
> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS
> CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then
> merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for
> us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot
> be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

0
Anne
4/26/2007 3:25:05 AM
There is funcitionality for merging in CRM but I will tell you the C360
product is a great product for the price.  I would consider it 2 - 3 version
ahead of what is available in MSCRM today.  It has multi-relation capability
and automatically recognizes custom entities.  You should download the trial
and check it out.

mudhead

"Mike" wrote:

> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike
Mike,

We tried several routes to create both simple and complex Word documents
straight from CRM with MS tools.  They all were maddeningly complex and
difficult to use.  Certainly not recommended for end-users.

You need to get WordMailMerge here http://www.mscrm-addons.com.  It just
works and they are very responsive to questions and suggestions.  Heartily
recommended.

Henricus

"Mike" wrote:

> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike
Hi Mike,

You can use the Microsoft CRM Add-On WordMailMerge. This Add-On let you
generate very easily single letters from the contact from of MS CRM.

Look at www.mscrm-addons.com for detailed description of the product.

Regards,
Christian Ternek
_________________________
www.mscrm-addons.com
Your company for MS-CRM ADD-ONS!

WordMailMerge for MS CRM
GroupCalendar for MS CRM
Telephone Integration for MS CRM
EmailSignature for MS CRM
"Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS
> CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then
> merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for
> us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot
> be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

0
Christian

word art and fonts
Can word art use Type 1 fonts? I received a .pub file and when opened in Pub2003SP2 the font for some word art was missing. So, I activated my Type 1 version of the font. Upon the .pub file displaying, the word art was extreamly alaised (stairstepped). As a test I redid the above but changed the missing font to a different True Type face. Worked well. Do I have to buy a True Type version of the face, word art doesent work with Type 1, there is a bug in Publisher, or I need to reinstall Publisher? Several programs or program features don't work well, if at all, with Type 1 fonts. W...

adding code to command button in word from excel VBA
Hi- I am creating a document in word with excel VBA. I figured out how to add a command button to word from excel VBA, but I can not figure out how to add code to that command button for when the command button is clicked on. I do not want to use a userform. I know how to add code to the button i create in an excel document, but I can't seem to add code to a button in word, using excel VBA. Here is the code I have created so far. I wrote messages in the code to tell you what i was doing and which part i am having problems with. I have been working on this for several days and would ...

Powerpoint inserted word doc
When inserting a word document into my presentation the document is incomplete, i.e. about an inch the whole length of the left side of the document is missing. One of the problems that you might be encountering is that maybe your Word Document has a "Portrait" Page Layout as compared to Powerpoint that is "Landscape." One thing you might do is to convert your word document in landscape mode and adjust all the text and objects in there so it looks user friendly once inserted in your slide. Hope this helps, Vicente Tulliano "Sonny" w...

Integrate CRM with word?
One of my colleagues has asked me whether it is possible to integrate CRM with word, to the extent that when they wish to create a letter, the necessary information finds its way to the correct place in a word document. If its possible I'd assume the process to be similar to that exporting to excel - i.e. click on an export button and a letter format with relevant information pops up, to which the body can be added. Is this at all possible? If so do we need to consult someone familiar with the server side and coding, or can it be done via the UI? Thanks in advance Robert Turnbul...

merging xls tables
Hi! I have 200 XLS files each with a table with same fields all at 1st sheet. I woul like to make from them one big table in 1 sheet. I'll take all fields from all of them. hopefully by the order of the files(wich are numbered). Thanks for your help! thanks! >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I suggest you use Access if you have it - with that much >data it will be a lot easier to manage - I have found this >on the help file: > >Ways to retrieve data from an external database >Using Microsoft Query >You can use Microsoft Query to set up data sources...

Word 2007 vs Word 2003 VBA autotext
We use VBA code: DestTemplate.AutoTextEntries.Add in a macro to "copy" autotext entries created in a Word 2003 document to a Word 2003 template to be used in different documents. If we run the macro in Word 2003, the resutling template 2003Autotext.dot can be used in both Word 2003 and Word 2007 documents. However, if we run the macro in Word 2007, the resutling template 2007Autotext.dot can be used ONLY in Word 2007 but not in Word 2003 documents. All autotext entries (AutoTextEntries.Item) appear to be deleted, or invisible to Word 2003. Is there a...

Problems with DataEntry = True
Hi I am opening a form "Add New Job", which on load, sets its DataEntry attribute to true. If I enter no details & close the form, a record had been created, so I added code to delete the record if no details had been entered. Now when I close the form without entering any details, it deletes the current record it has just created, but creates another one with the next sequence number. What I want it to do is create no record if no details are added. How can I achieve this? Yours Stapes Are you sure it's deleting the record you just created? The DataEntry property does...

Using WORD document as report
Hi, I have a registration form that was created with Word. It contains information such as player name and address and contact info, etc etc. I'd like to somehow import this form into Access so I could have a database instead of having to print the Word form for each new player and then entering everything by hand. Am I making sense ? Basically I don't want to have to redo my form, I want to import it into Access to use as both a form to enter new info AND as a report. I also want to print both the completed form as well a a receipt once the info has been entered. Can anyone ...

Help needed: Word 10 for Mac and XP PC Word files' non-printing characters
Any time I bring a Word XP (for Windows) file home from the office and take advantage of Word's interoperability with Macs to open it on my Imac under OS 10.3, the Mac copy of Word (Office 10) insists on displaying the non-printing characters (tabs, paragraph marks etc) from the PC file and when I try to turn them off with the usual "hide" command on the Mac they will NOT go away. Anyone know how to troubleshoot this ? Check the View tab in Preferences--they can be turned on permanently there. Dayo "Michael Bryan" wrote: > Any time I bring a Word XP (f...

How do I import a plain text file into a word worksheet?
I am using Word 2003. How do I import a plain text file into a data worksheet? If the text file is delimited into records using a particular character - see http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels_into_mail_merge.htm and jump in where your text file matches the illustrations. If not, then explain exactly what you have and what you want to do with it. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>&g...

Excel Macro to find instances of a word
I'm in the process of learning VBA and am having some troubles writing an excel macro to find all instances of a word (usually in conjunction with other words) and delete the row containing it essentially I'd like row 5 below to do the following: If Cell contains word *foo* OR *baz* then such that it would find individual instances of foo and baz but also foobar Although overall a rather large macro, the code surrounding 1 Cells.Sort Key1:=Range("C1") 2 3 totalrows = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count 4 For Row = totalrows To 2 Step -1 5 IF CELLS(R...

Word Error Message: word cannot start the convertor msw rd63.wpc
Using Word 2002 SP3 Office10 on XP Home. I got the above message when I tried to open a document I had created and saved to my documents. I click ok and word opens but the document is blank. Its also shows as blank in my documents. Help please -- maur Hi Maur, These errors occur after installing the KB973904 security update. Apparently, uninstalling that update will fix the problem. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "maur50" <maur50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D59331B1-A309-41AA-BD4F-AB3C8F1F7493@microsoft.com... > Usin...

Page Layout like Word?
We're using Excel 2002. I have a user that is telling me that he works in Excel with page layout exactly like Word (with the margins and gray area between pages). I showed him Print Preview, but that's not what he means. Page Break Preview is also not what he means because it doesn't show the margins. Is he right? Is there a print layout view in Excel like Word? Hi AFAIK there's no such view -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Doreen" <doreo715@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:eZxDm9CwEHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > We're using...

Title Case in Word 2007
Is there a way to change the case from say All Caps, lower case, or every word capitalized to title case in Word 2007. Word 2003 has this feature, but for some reason it is not available in Word 2007. On the Hom tab, first group on the right, there's a button "Aa" (next to the font color button) with a tiny dropdown arrow alongside. Choose "Capitalize Each Word." (Of course you already selected the text you want to do it to.) On Dec 10, 2:22=A0pm, John B <John B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to change the case from say A...

Mail merge formating
One of the MVP providing very good help here has just what I am looking for... I am looking for the code to place in a mergedfield to show dollars & cents as $ 12.34 I hope someone can dierct me to that MVP site Thanks fieldcode would be \# "$ #,###.00" HTH "pcor" wrote: > One of the MVP providing very good help here has just what I am looking for... > I am looking for the code to place in a mergedfield to show dollars & cents > as > $ 12.34 > I hope someone can dierct me to that MVP site > Thanks I guess this is the site http://word.mv...

Search for a word in a memo field ?
I have a memo field, that holds some text. I would like to search for some words in this field, and have done it this way - SELECT * FROM Table WHERE field like '%word%' - but it does not receive any records. I know that the word I'm searching for, exist in the table. Have I done something wrong ? -- My Photo Gallery www.anothermasterpiece.com "SpookiePower" <boxjunk2600@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ugOdL92UIHA.2000@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have a memo field, that holds some text. > I would like to search for some words in this field, > and have...

True to TRUE
I'm entering data for a database at work and when I type in the last name "True" Excel is changing it to "TRUE." I try to just undo it and it won't. How do I make it so it's just True???? TRUE is a special value in Excel. To enter True, precede the text with an apostrophe. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Nikki@CustomMortgageSolutions" <Nikki@CustomMortgageSolutions@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E35515F3-F2E8-4B05-B970-66951A7600A4@microsoft.com......

Can not save or save as in word 2007 HELP!
I can't save in Word 2007 every time I hit the save or save as button nothing happens. when I x out of the document it askes me if I want to save any changes, I hit yes and still nothing. I have uninstalled office and still nothing changes once a reinstall the programs. I have seen some salutions like Renaming/deleting the Data key, but I don't know where to go to delete the key. Can someone help me and break it down Barney style.... With Word (and Outlook) closed. From Windows>Start>Run type Regedit in the dialog box and press enter. The registry editor will open. ...

Microsoft Word/Page orientation
In a multi-page document, is it possible to change continuous pages from a page orientation of portrait to landscape and back to portrait again? I have tried this with page breaks inserted but it has not worked yet. I am using Word 2000. Thank you. you need to ask in microsoft.public.word or i could tell you the answer :-) use section breaks "KC" <mykcdog@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:521501c42ca1$4ba0e950$a501280a@phx.gbl... > In a multi-page document, is it possible to change > continuous pages from a page orientation of portrait to > landscape and ba...

How can you count if the same word has been used in a Spreadsheet?
i.e. a standard spreadsheet has a list of different names (random) and I want to do a 'word count' as such e.g. how many times 'Donnelly' appears in the spreadsheet. Hi donners6, Assuming there are NO Names that you want to Find in Column "A", Insert this Formula in Cell "A1" :- =COUNTIF(B:IV,"=Donnelly") Hope this Helps. All the Best. Paul "=?Utf-8?B?ZG9ubmVyczY=?=" <donners6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:B33FE0A8-DEF9-403C-A64F-A6CFB5EFF294@microsoft.com: > i.e. a standard spreadsheet has a list of different...

Attachments with Mail Merge
I am trying to implement a system using the mail merge facility of Outlook. While I can create the text of the messages OK, and can do all the generation to email or whatever, I am having problems with attachments to emails. I want to be able to create a form email letter, then attach files to all merged emails as they are sent. There is no obvious option to do this in the email merge procedure. I tried to embed an object of the attached file into the form letter. The resulting email did not include the embedded object. The next step was to send the same form letter as an attach...

Microsoft Word email ?
I recently typed a document on Word and would now like to find out how to send it to someone as an attachment. The only thing is it does not give me a highlighted option to email. Also do I need an INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER or it also said I needed to setup email servers: INCOMING EMAIL SERVER TYPE: POP3,IMAP,HTTP. Then it says INCOMING EMAIL POP3 OR IMAP SERVER, then it says OUTGOING EMAIL SERVER(SMTP) NAME, then last it says: OUTGOING SERVER REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION. I just want to know how to send this Word Document to someone. Thanks. -- joepinger If you have Word...

Unable to read Office Mac 2008's Word docx files in Office 2000 SP3's Word?
Hello. Is it me or does an updated Office 2000 SP3's Word cannot recognize and read Office Mac 2008's Word docx files that have Chinese characters in filenames (e.g., test土白王.docx)? If I rename the filename to English texts only, then no problems and old Word can recognize the file format (Word 2007). Office 2000 was in Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine with NTFS. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Did the ant fall off the toilet seat because she was pissed off?" --unknown /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant...

Sending Word Attachment Using a Macro
I am using a Macro to email several addresses at once. The problem is that the file i want to send is in word and it is too complicated to recreate in excel. What is the VBA code to do this (if there is one). I know the exact location of the file on my pc, i just dont know how to tell VBA where it is. Any help would be really appreciated Thanks Andy Hi Andy If you use Outlook then see the outlook object model examples on my site http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Andy@HycoMan" <AndyHycoMan@discussions.microsoft.com...

Word e-mail message window stops responding
Hello MS Word 2002 e-mail message window stops responding after coping and pasting in it. The Word is chosen in Outlook as an e-mail editor. The window appeared after clicking reply in the Outlook. -- Please, inform me of your reply: click Message menu, then 'Reply to all' in Outlook Express (this sends your reply to the newsgroups and to my email address at the same time) or inform me by sms to 79163876746 from www.mts.ru/sms or to my ICQ#135557327 or by messenger to kopnichev@hotmail.com Mr. Dmitriy Kopnichev e-mail: kopn@hotbox.ru Dimitry, - Upgrade to the latest service pack ...