Is full-text catalog needed?

I recently upgraded our SQL server that hosts CRM from 2000 to 2005 and I was
getting errors whenever trying to do a full database backup of of the MSCRM
database. It was erroring out on the Full-Text catalog. I got around this
error by changing my backup from a full "database" backup to a full "File or
Filegroup" backup and excluding the full-text catalog. I then learned that I
could enable full-text indexing in order to stop getting errors on the full
database backup.

My question is, do I need to have full-text catalog enabled? We dont use KB
articles.
And what is the performance hit, if any, when enabling this feature?

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

The KB search is the primary place this is used.  Having it enabled doesn't
impact the system that greatly.  Just a slight hit periodically (default 15
mins) when it updates the index for updated rows.

--

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

"Matt M" <MattM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I recently upgraded our SQL server that hosts CRM from 2000 to 2005 and I
was
getting errors whenever trying to do a full database backup of of the MSCRM
database. It was erroring out on the Full-Text catalog. I got around this
error by changing my backup from a full "database" backup to a full "File or
Filegroup" backup and excluding the full-text catalog. I then learned that I
could enable full-text indexing in order to stop getting errors on the full
database backup.

My question is, do I need to have full-text catalog enabled? We dont use KB
articles.
And what is the performance hit, if any, when enabling this feature?

0
Matt

Limit text input in Excel 2003
I have seen a lot of posts talking about how to "limit" the text input of a cell to a certain number of characters, but using the data validation option does not stop the user from entering more than a defined number, it just warns that it is invalid. What can I do to make typing more than 36 characters impossible? I just want the input to stop after 36, and if data is pasted into the cell, I would want it cut off at 36. Thanks for any help you can give. -Erich Hi AFAIK this is not possible in a cell direct as a macro can't run while you're in Edit mode -- Regards Frank ...

Access to web advice needed
I have an access db that I have packaged and sold to professional quilters for several years. Unfortunately a lot of them are mac users and I think I am ready to try to move it to a web based program that people can sign into (subscription based). I really do not want to reinvent the wheel(or the database). Does anyone have any ideas on the easiest and most effective way to convert it. All ideas are welcome from programs, hosting sites, literature. The only thing that is not an option is paying someone to do it. Thanks so much Terri Hi Terri, Excellent question and I'...

Outlook is deleting text
Outlook is deleting text from my emails that are coming from Japan. This occurs when emails are sent back and to several times. Does any one know why? ...

few confusing things about Full-Text Search queries
hi I=92ve started learning FULL-TEXT Search queries ( using Sql server 2008 ) and I did try to find the answers to my questions by running various queries and see how they behave, but then not even the simplest of queries returned the results I=92ve expected, so=85 1) From Msdn: =93<simple_term> - Specifies a match for an exact word or a phrase. Examples of valid simple terms are "blue berry", blueberry, and "Microsoft SQL Server". Phrases should be enclosed in double quotation marks (""). Words in a phrase must appear in the same order ...

Gap in connector for text
(Visio 2003) How do I increase the "gap" in a connector behind text? I prefer not to move the text about the connector but part of my text is blending with the line. I'm calling out signal names RX+, RX-, TX+, TX- and the + and - are somewhat disappearing. I can't seem to find a way to change the spacing, setting, whatever. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 13:14:55 -0500, "JoAnn Paules" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote: >(Visio 2003) > >How do I increase the "gap" in a connector behind text? ...

picture before text word 2003 How?
Hi all I want to put a small picture before text in word 2003. I want to put a picture of somebodys head on the line of text then text after it, then on the enxt line change the picture to someone elses head then add text and so on. How do I do this please? symbol? inser picture? how do I get my picture roughly the same size as the text? Thanks --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net --- In news:hmrp8m$3kk$1@adenine.netfront.net, Third Time Lucky <justme@home.com> typed: > Hi all > > I want to put a small picture befo...

hard drive too full after reinstalling XP
For numerous reasons, I did a full reinstall from XP Pro on up. There were two partitions, one that had a significant amount of data and one miniscule. I kept the partitions and wiped out the old info and loaded the new - at least that's what the windows were walking me through "Warning this will wipe out all previous versions...." To make a long story short, I have completely restored the laptop with minimal programs. All the Microsoft updates including SP3, have been loaded. When I went to check my disk usage in "my computer" the disk is half full! How is...

Outlook full
How do I lower the size of outlook.pst after I near the 2 gig limit? I permanently deleted files but did not affect the size of .pst very much. Can you split up the .pst into smaller batches? A .pst for each year perhaps? >-----Original Message----- >How do I lower the size of outlook.pst after I near the 2 >gig limit? I permanently deleted files but did not >affect the size of .pst very much. >. > >How do I lower the size of outlook.pst after I near the 2 gig limit? I >permanently deleted files but did not affect the size of .pst very >much. Hav...

How to display the text properly?
I am using Traditional Chinese XP with SP3, when I open an old batch file, which contains some text command, recently, my PC is broken down, and require to re-install it. After that, when I open the batch file using Notepad, all command becomes strange char. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the setting to display the text command from batch file properly? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Eric wrote: > I am using Traditional Chinese XP with SP3, when I open an old batch > file, which contains some text command, recently, my PC is broken down, >...

Populate Text based on conditions
Hi - I am trying to determine a way to populate text based on input conditions. My example is with moon phases. I have all the moon phases based on date as follows in one sheet: A B Date Moon Phase 9/2 1st 9/3 1st 9/4 Full etc.. In another I have a table where the user inputs the date she worked and I want it to automatically fill in the second column with the Moon phase A B 9/4 NEED FORMULA 9/6 ..... I am so lost. Anyone know how to work this? -- en See this: http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.ht...

WTB: WE BUY SOFTWARE
WTB: WE BUY SOFTWARE - WE NEED MS OFFICE, WINDOWS, SERVER as well as ADOBE, SYMANTEC & OTHERS WE BUY used, new and refurbed Sun, Cisco, Lucent, Nortel, Alcatel, 3com, IBM, HP, Compaq, Dell, Madge, Cabletron, Juniper Networks, Bintec, Siemens, Foundry, Networks, Extreme Networks, Fore/Marconi, Tellabs Lucent/Avaya/Ascend, Xylogics, Brocade, Intel, Motorola, Nokia VPN/Firewall, Netscreen, Microsoft Adobe, Corel, Intuit, Macromedia, Symantec, McAfee etc... Email BUYONET@HOTMAIL.COM with any of the above that you wish to sell. LOOK BELOW FOR ALL WANT TO BUY LISTINGS... WE ARE BUYING WI...

Notepad automatic text formatting
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Everytime I highlight a word or phrase and 'bold', 'underline' or 'italicize' it, the next bullet point in my outline list automatically starts with that format. I have to manually change it back to 'normal' font attributes every single bullet point unless I start a new list. Is there a way around this? Thanks One thing that will help: Go to Tools> AutoCorrect � AutoFormat As You Type then remove the last check pertaining to "Format beginning of list...". It would be even more beneficial to...

dissapearing text
I'm puzzled by something that I'm sure will be obvious to others. I have a form (frmTask) with a textbox (txtTitle) having control source... =Forms!frmMainMenu!txtTitle Really, I'm just stealing the title from another open form. when it first opens, frmTask has no records, just a set of comboboxes used to produce records. Here's my problem. When frmTask first opens, txtTitle is blank. Only when I start to use the cbo's and records start appearing does the Title appear. By stepping through code, I've noticed that the Title doesn't appear until frmTask&#...

how to sum a text field with commas
I have a field that contains values like "1,3,0,0" and "2,0,0" and "1". I need to sum those values within the field. The field can have up to 100 numbers seperated by commas. How can I do sum them? so in example 1 "1,3,0,0" I would want it to say 4 example 2 "2,0,0" I would want it to say 2 example 3 "1" I would want it to say 1 Any help is much appreciated. Thanks! RedGlow06 wrote: > I have a field that contains values like "1,3,0,0" and "2,0,0" and > "1". I need to sum thos...

Time Format to Text Output
Hi I run Excel 2K I have a series of times that I download from the mainframe. (these are in a date format) EXAMPLE 23/09/2009 6:07:00 AM 22/09/2009 9:22:00 PM 22/09/2009 7:40:00 PM etc etc I am in need of a formula that looks at these times, and based on their values, displays a particular piece of text. (in this case "DAY", "AFT", "NIGHT") Example Any time between the following: 7:20:00 AM to 3:19:00 PM should display the word DAY Any time between the following: 3:20:00 PM to 11:19:00PM should display the word AFT Any time between the following: 1...

"Contact list full" Error message, but contact list is not full.
Hi, I am trying to add a new contact and it keeps saying my contact list is full (I have around 100 people on there). I delete people and still get the same message, I have even delete people out of my network on windows live, but still the same. I have had this problem for a couple of days now. Anyone help? Greetings Charles, This is an on-going problem over the past few days, and unsure what exactly is going on. However, you are certainly not alone. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://...

How to move a sub window to full screen?
hi,all I have a problem in my c++ 6.0 app. I want to full screen a couple of windows. I just get the rect of desktop and call MoveWindow() to move my main app window to full screen. This is no problem. But when I did the same thing in a sub/child window, it is different. ::GetWindowRect(hDesktop, &rect);//rect.top = 0 , rect.bottom=768 ScreenToClient(&rect); //rect.top = -44, rect.bottom=724, left=-6, right=1018 //Here, I think it should be rect.top = -28, the title height. Why is it -44? MoveWindow(rect);// After that, we can not see the window title. So, how to convert this ? Tha...

DISK IS FULL
I have users who get disk is full message when tring to save excel file to a network drive. The drive has plenty of room 57G. The files are large 80meg and bigger with many links to other worksheets. ...

How to enter date as text
Hi, [Newbie question.] I maintain a list of new members of a club in an Excel 2003 spreadsheet I got from a past membership officer. The list, which was started in 2007 simply used the name of the month in Column A. However, when I wrote "January 2008" in order to list this year's new members, Excel changed the format to Jan-08. When I tried to enter "January 08," Excel changed the entry to a series of numbers I did not recognize as related to "January 08." The date entries are only intended as separators to show in which month the new members joined. ...

Removing text from part of a field
Good morning, I have a table with a field that contains the following: PAGE_03 PAGE_03A PAGE_01 I need to create a query that can remove the text "PAGE_0" from the field. Thanks, Fred Mid([YourFieldName],7) -- Rick B "fgwiii" <fgwiii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C998F7AD-B562-48E7-8F23-4AB58D7E0657@microsoft.com... > Good morning, > > I have a table with a field that contains the following: > PAGE_03 > PAGE_03A > PAGE_01 > > I need to create a query that can remove the text "PAGE_0" from the field. &...

Email to Text
Sending this again think I had an error the first time. Basically I want to convert all my email to a text file. I am using Outlook Express 6. But when I try to convert more than one at a time by clicking on File the Save As function is not highlighted. Is it possible to save more than one at a time to a text file? I want to be able to back up a thousand emails I have for my records. I appreciate any help, Thanks, Kev This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsg...

copying cells with formulas, numbers, & text
I have Excel 2007 and I am having trouble copying from one worksheet to another. I am trying to copy some text, numbers and formulas from one worksheet in a workbook to another worksheet in another workbook and when it copies, the formulas do not come over, they are pasted as numbers instead. When I try to paste as formulas, the option is "grayed-out" and the system only give me the option of pasting as an object or a link. This happened once with me. I finally found out that the reason I was not able to copy formulas was because the sheet was protected and the cell properties was h...

Full-Text
I am getting an error that says "Specified Module not to be found" when choosing full-text indexing tab in Exchange System Manager. My system is Exchange 2003, and Windows 2003. Picture screenshot is attached. ...

Number to Text Value
Hey, I have data coming from Access via ODBC with a value of 0 (NO) or 1 (YES) from a tickbox in Access. Is there a way I can covert these 0 & 1's to a text word in excel in another column. 0 = NO or FALSE 1 = YES OR TRUE Thanks in Advance. "=?Utf-8?B?S1lNTw==?=" <KYMO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:C7FAFC78-67BA-4747-905D-497AF99727DB@microsoft.com: > Hey, > > I have data coming from Access via ODBC with a value of 0 (NO) or 1 > (YES) from a tickbox in Access. > > Is there a way I can covert these 0 & 1's to a text word ...

exchange 2003 full acces problem
Hello everybody I create an account on AD and its mailbox. I grant to this mailbox a full access for another account yesterday morning, it wa working, but this morning, i can not open the mailbox, the full acces is still here. Can you explain me what to do. Thank you, Jean-Marc ...