In place CRM and Windows upgrade

I have a customer that has CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2000 and SQL 2000
Server.

The customer wishes to upgrade to CRM 4.0 and Windows 2008, and remain on
the same physical server.

What is the best approach for this?  Here what I am thinking:

1.  Backup CRM databases
2. Format and Upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows 2003
3.  Install SQL 2005
4.  Install CRM 3.0 from Existing Database Option
5.  Upgrade to CRM 4.0
6.  Backup CRM 4.0 databases
7.  Upgrade to Windows 2008

Is there any other critical steps I am missing for this?
0
ilibhart (36)
5/26/2008 1:54:01 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi,

It sounds like a plan, however I think CRM 4.0 still have some
technical problems with Windows 2008. I would recommend that you do
more research on CRM 4.0 and Windows 2008 before the upgrade.

Other CRM MVPs or product team members might able to help on this post
as well.

Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP
Crowe
http://www.crowecrm.com

On May 26, 8:54=A0am, ilibhart <ilibh...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I have a customer that has CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2000 and SQL 200=
0
> Server. =A0
>
> The customer wishes to upgrade to CRM 4.0 and Windows 2008, and remain on
> the same physical server.
>
> What is the best approach for this? =A0Here what I am thinking:
>
> 1. =A0Backup CRM databases
> 2. Format and Upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows 2003
> 3. =A0Install SQL 2005
> 4. =A0Install CRM 3.0 from Existing Database Option
> 5. =A0Upgrade to CRM 4.0
> 6. =A0Backup CRM 4.0 databases
> 7. =A0Upgrade to Windows 2008
>
> Is there any other critical steps I am missing for this?

0
darrenliu (251)
5/26/2008 4:26:14 PM
I would recommend that you do this in several distinct steps--don't mix them
all into one process, as there are things that can go wrong at each step.  I
have tried upgrading OS and SQL at the same time, and it can get ugly.

When you get to the 4.0 upgrade step, be sure that you do it first in a test
environment with a copy of your production database.  There is a good
possibility that you will run into some problems, and you reach a point of no
return during the upgrade where you can't go back if you have a problem.
Also, if you have any javascript OnChange/OnSave/OnLoad events, there is a
good chance that the upgrade might break them, and you will have to update
the code.
Here is how I would do it.

1.  upgrade to Windows 2003
2.  Test to make sure that nothing is broken with CRM, SQL, or SRS.
3.  Upgrade database to SQL 2005.  Here is a good white paper to help:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=709F9CC7-8D53-45E8-B853-1F9E733F9774&displaylang=en
4.  Test to make sure that nothing is broken with CRM, SQL, or SRS. Make
sure that users can still get in, reports run, etc.
5.  backup database and restore to a test environment using the redeployment
wizard.
6.  Upgrade in place to CRM 4.0 on test environment
7.  backup database and upgrade production environment to 4.0

As far as Windows 2008, I would wait, and at most, try it in the test
environment.
--
Joel Lindstrom

"ilibhart" wrote:

> I have a customer that has CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2000 and SQL 2000
> Server.
>
> The customer wishes to upgrade to CRM 4.0 and Windows 2008, and remain on
> the same physical server.
>
> What is the best approach for this?  Here what I am thinking:
>
> 1.  Backup CRM databases
> 2. Format and Upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows 2003
> 3.  Install SQL 2005
> 4.  Install CRM 3.0 from Existing Database Option
> 5.  Upgrade to CRM 4.0
> 6.  Backup CRM 4.0 databases
> 7.  Upgrade to Windows 2008
>
> Is there any other critical steps I am missing for this?

Halo crashing Windows
Why is Halo crashing windows no more then twice a day. Yes I get the blue screen which states to remove new hardware. The only thing new are the motherboard, CPU and memory. <rr@nospam.edu> wrote in message news:uSLPh2RPLHA.456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Why is Halo crashing windows no more then twice a day. Yes I get the blue > screen which states to remove new hardware. The only thing new are the > motherboard, CPU and memory. Hardware fault caused by overheating? Check that the temperature of the GPU on your graphics card is within spec. Improving case co...

MS CRM 4.0 to .pdf questions
Hi, Does anybody have a clue on how to solve following requirements: 1) 'MailMerge' to PDF: - Is there any way to perform a MailMerge behind the scene for the user, but with a PDF as a result document? Following is needed: when a sales person generates a letter document, the process of MailMerge should happen behind the scene, but as a result of the mailmerge, the salesperson should have the pdf emailed to him (or attached to the MS CRM record). The reason for all this, is because it is not allowed for the sales person to change anything on the generated document...All he can...

Placing bubbles
I would like to place bubbles on the 2D places (x,y) with different radius. The coordinates are the (column, row) an´d the rtadius the value in the cell (column, row). For example the value 0.25 in the cell (2,5) means, that a bubble with radius 0.25 placed on the 2D coordinate system at the location x=2, y=5. How to do it ? The bubble chart places the bubbles on the location (column, radius). Thanks in advance, Laszlo I'm probably not understanding but I'll take a shot . . . assuming the bubble chart is similar to an XY Scatter chart, wouldn't you set your data up li...

OPOS Driver VS Windows Driver
I have a Epson TM-T88III Reciept Printer and the problem that i have is that when I use the windows printer driver to print the receipts its very slow and when I use the OPOS driver the reciept prints really fast. I would rather use the windows driver so how can I make the reciept print out faster? For faster printing in Windows using a TM printer, select a TM-Printer font -Chris "Mr Singh" <MrSingh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:923EF5EF-C020-4193-B870-166094822E33@microsoft.com... >I have a Epson TM-T88III Reciept Printer and the problem that i ha...

Shortcuts placed on desktop
Every time I close Money 2004 I have 2 new shortcuts for some bank on my desktop. Does anyone know how to turn this off? -- JollyRoger In microsoft.public.money, JollyRoger wrote: >Every time I close Money 2004 I have 2 new shortcuts for some bank on my >desktop. Does anyone know how to turn this off? Tools->Options->General->TurnOffSponsorshipsAndShoppingLinks. Thanks for the help. -- JollyRoger "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote: > In microsoft.public.money, JollyRoger wrote: > > >Every time I close Money 2004 I have 2 new shortcuts for some bank on ...

Data sync between portal and MS CRM 3.0
Hi all, I need to synchronise data between potal (backend is Sql Server) and MS CRM 3.0. Is there any way I can do that. Thanks in advance ! Hi Misha, You can create your own synchronization module to accomplish this. CRM does offer webservices to interact with. Read the SDK for more information on how to use the CRM Webservices. Kind regards, -- Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/ "Misha" wrote: > Hi all, > > I need to synchronise data between potal (backend is Sql Server) and MS CRM > 3.0. > Is there any way ...

Can I use Free Excel Viewer 97/2000 in Windows XP?
Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda The Viewer for Office 97/2000 works fine under Windows XP. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:11:01 -0700, "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with >Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, >that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda An...

CRM Prompts for Login When Viewing Cases
When I use the CRM, all the features are working fine except when I go to my Service section and try to open a case. Even though I am already logged in, when I open a case for the first time in the morning, or after I idle out for a bit, it asks me to enter my user name and password again. Does anyone know what may be causing this, or a simple way to fix it? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! Has anyone else experienced this issue with the login prompt appearing when they navigate to certain sections of the CRM? I've tried disabling a few of my customizations to that form, b...

Truncating decimal places
When I export a file (from Access or Excel) with a decimal value (in this case Lat. and Lon. values) to a text file, it truncates the decimals to two places. How do I stop this? It works fine if I export as text values. The decimal places are probably there, just not displayed. Select the cells and either click on the icon on the toolbar to increase the decimal places or change the formatting - Format | Cells... | Number tab | Number and increase the Decimal places. Regards Trevor "Greymane" <greymane21@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7b5501c402f6$140f8bb0$a501280a@...

Excel-cannot view info placed in cells
I built a spreadsheet, filled in the cells and saved the document. Now in trying to reopen it to add more info, I find that the spreadsheet does not show up at all when opened. Just gone. Thanks for any help. I have never had this issue before. Liz Liz: Do you mean you just have the "gray" area? If so, try opening and hit Window-->Arrange, and just hit OK. ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "crayon" <crayon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A98FD557-6417-407A-B5A5-B47F4141C7A7@microsoft.com... >I built a spreadshe...

Outlook 2003 options window font too large
If I go to Tools->Options. The Options window that opens does not appear correct. The text is larger than the text in all the other Office suite software's Options windows. I've tried reinstalling Outlook. (Even deleted registry settings for Outlook) I've tried different settings under Windows XP's Display Properties->Appearance->Advanced. Has anybody seen this? And more importantly, does anybody have a solution? Regards, Dawid Oosthuizen This just started happening to me as well. It is only in Outlook 2003. If I open mail in the control panel it too has th...

How to track response from Customers in MS CRM
How to track response from Customers in MS CRM ? Which can be done? should make use of Expected Response should make use of Response Code should make use of Promotion Code should make use of Lead Code This is an interesting question. In the context of email campaign-type activities, it seems there is little 'automatic' extended functionality built-in - the system 'looses' track of [undeliverables], [out-of-office] etc. even has difficulty with [unsubscribes] if the incoming email address is different to outgoing. Although as we did in our add-in you can design a query to ma...

Mixing ANSI and Unicode windows and WM_CHAR issues with IME
I have written a small application to reproduce some issues I've been having lately. It consists of a main application (ANSI) and a Unicode DLL. The main app is an app-wizard generated dialog based application that creates a child Unicode dialog using the Unicode DLL. Both app and the DLL use shared MFC. When app starts, two edit controls are displayed. One is ANSI hosted on the main app dialog and the other is Unicode hosted in the child Unicode dialog. In order for PreTranslateMessage mechanism to work in the Unicode DLL, the main app calls DLL's TranslateAccelerator function whic...

Microsoft.CRM.Proxy
Can anyone point me in the direction of documentation to programmatically add Service Cases in CRM? The Microsoft.CRM.Proxy library contains functionality to access alot of things but I am not seeing anything to access "Cases". Thanks in advance, Rick On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:24:16 -0500, "Rick" <test@test.com> wrote: >Can anyone point me in the direction of documentation to programmatically >add Service Cases in CRM? The Microsoft.CRM.Proxy library contains >functionality to access alot of things but I am not seeing anything to >access "Case...

Money Upgrade #3
Trying to upgrade from Money 2000 to Money 2004. When it tries to update the data file I get the message "Money cannot locate filename or cannot open it, possibly because it is read only file, you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write protected......". I have run the Money repair tool and the salvage program. Each indicates thet the file has no problems. However it will not update the file for use by 2004. Any helpful tips?? Thanks in advance Right click on your money file, select properties, and de-select the read-only check box. "BobR&q...

Connector With Dynamics Nav in CRM 4.0
We are planning to implement CRM 4.0 and upgrade Dyn Nav into version 5.1. I can't find any documentation on an earlier statement * from microsoft that CRM 4.0 would include pre-build connections for appl. within MS Dyn Family. Someone knows the answer? Peter * "In enterprise environments, Microsoft offers CRM connectors into leading ERP applications, including those from PeopleSoft, Oracle and SAP. It also provides pre-built connections for ERP applications within the Microsoft Dynamics family." At the partner 4.0 rollout, MS said a GP and NAv connector would be 'on...

Place Templates
Well,. I. ...

windows mails problem
I have created many folders in my inbox. I regularly take back-up of my mails in external hard disk. Recently I had to do system recover due to virus problem and lost all my mails. I imported mails from my external hard disk along with all the folders intact. Since yesterday I am facing a weird problem. 2 of my folders are acting funnily. If I click any mail in one folder, I see same matter for all the mails although I can see different subjects for each mail. For other folder if I click any mail I see following message - Message could not be displayed Windows Mail encounte...

Great Plains should allow more decimal places for finance charges
We are currently using Great Plains v. 8.00. Our intent was to charge a 5% annual interest rate for our finance charges; but, because Great Plains will only allow 2 decimal places for the monthly rate, we are charging a monthly rate of .41%, which equates to an annual rate of 4.92%, rather than being able to use a monthly rate of .41666666666666% (or something similar), which would allow us to get to the desired annual rate of 5%. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click t...

signature to be placed at BOTTOM of the email
hi all I have one netscape 7.1 user, he have configure the signature when reply back the sender the signature is inserted at bottom of the quote how do we do it at MS Outlook 2003? In other words, it means, when he reply more than one time on the same email, ALL the signature is appear at the BOTTOM of the email thanks Version of Outlook is? You could insert the signature manually via Quick Parts or Auto text depending on the Outlook version and if Word is used as the editor. "gbkhor" <gbkhor@time.net.my> wrote in message news:OUpyBEqfIHA.536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl.....

CRM Sales from Outlook cannot go offline/server not found
I'm trying to go Offline with my CRM Sales for Outlook 2002 June 2003 client. The error displays a dialog box indicating that the MS CRM Server was not found. No errors found on any of the event logs. Everything else works great (so far...) Any thoughts?? I have the same problem ! "Raul Ramis" <rramis@archiveamerica.com> wrote in message news:036d01c3aa34$6c0082e0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I'm trying to go Offline with my CRM Sales for Outlook > 2002 June 2003 client. > > The error displays a dialog box indicating that the MS > CRM Server was not found...

Problem Setup CRM 4.0
Hi, I try to install the 90day trial of MS CRM 4.0 dutch, but i get installation error Setup: 1 SBS server 2003 (Dutch) 1 VMware server with different Windows2003 servers (Uk) --> on this server i have 1 W2003 server (dedicated) in use voor the SQL 2005 with 2 instances in it. 1 for CRM and 1 for an other application. Also on this server i use the reportingserver, a second W2003 server is used to install the CRM application After the systemcheckup the installation starts well but stops with the error : Translation because it's a dutch version : Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.Us...

Can I modify Sql server reference in CRM 3.0 ?urgent please help
Hi, Its very urgent for me to do this,I had CRM3.0 and SQl Server 2000 on same server.I referred Sql server 2000 in CRM 3.0 while installation.But now I had to change in CRM 3.0, the sql server reference to Sql server 2005(Sql server 2005 is installed on another server.Is that possible now?Please help me.I am badly in need of help thanks in advance for your assistance ...

place cards
I want to create place cards for an upcoming event. Where are they in the wizards? ...

Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Tutorial (August 2006) 08-21-06
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Tutorial (August 2006) CRM Basics,CRM Objectives,Types of CRM :: Operational CRM , Analytical CRM ,Collaborative CRM, CRM Implementation ,CRM Technical Functionalities ,Popular CRM's :: SugarCRM ,vTiger CRM , Daffodil CRM ,Future of CRM http://flying-rugs.com/crm/CRM.html ...