importing - error reports usesless to me Why prepare?

Hi,

i'm importing contacts from a CSV file. we have 77 contacts to import. I've
adjusted everything to match - all clomn heads get recognized automaticcally,
i map the values for the adres type correctly, then i import. 61 succes, 16
failed.
Ok, i check the error report, and got the message i feared...

(i'm using dutch CRM so rough translation)

The number of columns does not match the number of columns in the headline

WHAT???

Last time i got this report on another import no one could find any errors
in the rules in CSV. Only 7 errors, so i imported EXACTLY the same data
manually... and  there was no problems or error...

im sure the columns in CSV are EXACTLY as many as required, since all rows i
import have the same number of colums, and 61 dont give problems. We've
compared error lines with lines that import correctly, no one sees a clear
difference between them, a raeson why they fail :\

A) What does this error message mean? How do i need to interpret this?
Obviously not the literal meaning of the words... Where should i look in de
CSV to correct data?
B) Basicly this error report show me nothing (specific), It should be like:
in column "Telephone (work) there is data missing etc. T
his form of error report is useless to me

The sad thing is i'm trying to explain everyone how in CRM everything will
run smooth, i even took a lot of time with co-workers to prepare (like
renaming column heads, and preparing data in the right file types etc. for
import as instructed ) and then i run into these unexplainable errors, in
which the error reports show me nothing, exept that preparing for import by
the guidelines is an utter waste of time...

I hope someone can shed any light on this, tomorrow i'll import, and will
probably be importing contact manually again... *sigh*

Kas

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

what this means is one of two things

either the rows failing have not got enough commas in them so crm does not
see enough columns. answer is to add a dummy column of data at the right
before exprting to csv then delete the dummy column

or

your data has rogue commas in it which means crm is seeing too many columns

=======================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm

"_Kas_" <Kas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> i'm importing contacts from a CSV file. we have 77 contacts to import.
> I've
> adjusted everything to match - all clomn heads get recognized
> automaticcally,
> i map the values for the adres type correctly, then i import. 61 succes,
> 16
> failed.
> Ok, i check the error report, and got the message i feared...
>
> (i'm using dutch CRM so rough translation)
>
> The number of columns does not match the number of columns in the headline
>
> WHAT???
>
> Last time i got this report on another import no one could find any errors
> in the rules in CSV. Only 7 errors, so i imported EXACTLY the same data
> manually... and  there was no problems or error...
>
> im sure the columns in CSV are EXACTLY as many as required, since all rows
> import have the same number of colums, and 61 dont give problems. We've
> compared error lines with lines that import correctly, no one sees a clear
> difference between them, a raeson why they fail :\
>
> A) What does this error message mean? How do i need to interpret this?
> Obviously not the literal meaning of the words... Where should i look in
> de
> CSV to correct data?
> B) Basicly this error report show me nothing (specific), It should be
> like:
> in column "Telephone (work) there is data missing etc. T
> his form of error report is useless to me
>
> The sad thing is i'm trying to explain everyone how in CRM everything will
> run smooth, i even took a lot of time with co-workers to prepare (like
> renaming column heads, and preparing data in the right file types etc. for
> import as instructed ) and then i run into these unexplainable errors, in
> which the error reports show me nothing, exept that preparing for import
> by
> the guidelines is an utter waste of time...
>
> I hope someone can shed any light on this, tomorrow i'll import, and will
> probably be importing contact manually again... *sigh*
>
> Kas

0
John
5/16/2006 4:22:30 AM
Thanks for the reply as i posted when being a bit irritated yesterday...

Ok, i've tried pasting the failed lines using paste special: values only.
Pasting in the same document didn't help. Next i tried copying the failed 12
lines to a new excel file, saved the file as CSV, then imported bulk using
these 12 rows: result:

0 errors, 12 succes.

To me this still doensn't make sense, but at least the result is there:)

Kas

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> what this means is one of two things
>
> either the rows failing have not got enough commas in them so crm does not
> see enough columns. answer is to add a dummy column of data at the right
> before exprting to csv then delete the dummy column
>
> or
>
> your data has rogue commas in it which means crm is seeing too many columns
>

> =======================
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm
>

> "_Kas_" <Kas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > i'm importing contacts from a CSV file. we have 77 contacts to import.
> > I've
> > adjusted everything to match - all clomn heads get recognized
> > automaticcally,
> > i map the values for the adres type correctly, then i import. 61 succes,
> > 16
> > failed.
> > Ok, i check the error report, and got the message i feared...
> >
> > (i'm using dutch CRM so rough translation)
> >
> > The number of columns does not match the number of columns in the headline
> >
> > WHAT???
> >
> > Last time i got this report on another import no one could find any errors
> > in the rules in CSV. Only 7 errors, so i imported EXACTLY the same data
> > manually... and  there was no problems or error...
> >
> > im sure the columns in CSV are EXACTLY as many as required, since all rows
> > import have the same number of colums, and 61 dont give problems. We've
> > compared error lines with lines that import correctly, no one sees a clear
> > difference between them, a raeson why they fail :\
> >
> > A) What does this error message mean? How do i need to interpret this?
> > Obviously not the literal meaning of the words... Where should i look in
> > de
> > CSV to correct data?
> > B) Basicly this error report show me nothing (specific), It should be
> > like:
> > in column "Telephone (work) there is data missing etc. T
> > his form of error report is useless to me
> >
> > The sad thing is i'm trying to explain everyone how in CRM everything will
> > run smooth, i even took a lot of time with co-workers to prepare (like
> > renaming column heads, and preparing data in the right file types etc. for
> > import as instructed ) and then i run into these unexplainable errors, in
> > which the error reports show me nothing, exept that preparing for import
> > by
> > the guidelines is an utter waste of time...
> >
> > I hope someone can shed any light on this, tomorrow i'll import, and will
> > probably be importing contact manually again... *sigh*
> >
> > Kas

Importing data

Reports 11-15-07
I have a table for entering tickets, there is a date, violation, and a fine feild. I have made are report that adds all the fines together. The report adds all of the new enteries ont it. What I want to do is each week print out a report with only that weeks information on it but the report shows all of the information on it even when I filter my table. I was able to make a new report with the filter information but had to built it all over again. Is there a way to set up a report and only us it when I filter the information. Base the report on a query. In the query Field: DateFieldNa...

Import and export

Importing messages #6

Printing Reports #2
I want to change the default font when I go to reports. My font is some kind of goofy font that I can't read. Can anyone help ...

excel 97 xml import

Importing Dynamic data

Mailbox Manager and "Report only" summary reports are wrong
I've just started utilizing the mailbox manager on out win2k3/Exchange 2k3 sp2 server. I created a Mailbox Policy to "REPORT ONLY" and send a summary report to the administrator. Every time the mailbox manager runs and does what it is supposed to, but the Summary report that is sent to the administrator is wrong. It always reports a Messages Moved # and Size of Messages Moved # With values greater than 0. Now I know that it is not actually moving anything because the same wrong values keep coming up every time. Of course my question is, How do I get a corrected report? T...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Importing a CSV file

GP Report Writer Resources
Can anyone recommend any resources for getting up to speed with Report Writer and all the idiosyncrasies? The help documentation is quite vague on detail. Thanks, Colin ...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Scheduling a report.
Hi there: I was wondering if there is a way to run schedule jobs for reports in Excel. I am not certain if Macros would be used for this purpose, or if there is another way in Excel to do this type of thing. Your help is greatly appreciated. Regards, Dinesh. ...

import pdf table

Report not pulling all lines in recordsource
Hello, I have a report that is running off a table (tblSuperCompliance). The report has two subreports on it. What's happening is that there are 4 records on tblSupercompliance. The report will show data for only two of the records. When I delete one of the records that is showing up on the report, one of the other records takes its place in the report. I changed the margins of the report to .25 all the way around. When I change it back to 1", all of the records show up again on the report except that there are 4 hits to each record. Does anyone have an explanation on how this...

importing email

Field missing upon XML import

Excel 2003

Print all records on a report ONLY IF Invoice NO is same
How do I get all the detail records for the same invoice no. to appear on the same page? Presumably you have 2 tables, such as: - tblInvoice (the header record), with fields: o InvoiceID primary key o ClientID relates to tblClient.Client o InvoiceDate Date/Time - tblInvoiceDetail (the line items), with fields: o InvoiceID relates to tblIvoice.InvoiceID o ProductID relates to tblProduct.ProductID o Quantity Number o PriceEach Currency etc. To create a report that looks like an invoice: 1. Create a query that uses both tables, along with...

Import / date questions
Hi I have imported a lot of email (15,000) from Thunderbird > converted from mbox > .eml - dragged the email into Outlook express and then imported into Outlook2003. All has worked fine ish- but a lot of messages have the "received" field set as todays date / time. If I select the "sent" field that is correct. Is there anyway to reset the date on an email message in outlook (ideally on mass) - what is the difference between the Sent field and the received field ? Thanks Hi Just did a check, and the data in outlook express is correct. Its when I did the impor...

importing a cell value
I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address ie cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our server (j:\121213\Drafting\Quants\) "105 White Ant" = the name of the .xls B3 = the cell I need to import C6 = value(A34+"105 White Ant"+B3) Any help or advice would be hugely appriciated Sorry I should also have specified that I want to avoid the use of macros. "Kristian G" wrote: > I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address > ie > cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our ...