Importing Contact vs Lead

Assume I have a list of names from a recent trade show. We want to bring them
into CRM for Marketing Activities. Would it be better to bring them in as
contacts, and then convert to a lead when a response is received? Our
prospect wants to keep Leads as leads and not cluttered with non-leads.

If we had another choice like 'Prospects" this would be better.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Actually, this is the true definition of a Lead.  These are non-qualified
Leads and you have no idea if they are insterested in your products or not.
You will actually be cluttering your DB more by putting them into Contact as
that should only be used for someone who is "qualified".  In theory,
everything starts with a Lead and then converts to a Contact and/or Account
once qualified.

BTW, you cannot convert a Contact back into a Lead.  I think you are
confusing Lead with Opportunity in the system.

--

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

"Morris" <Morris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Assume I have a list of names from a recent trade show. We want to bring
them
into CRM for Marketing Activities. Would it be better to bring them in as
contacts, and then convert to a lead when a response is received? Our
prospect wants to keep Leads as leads and not cluttered with non-leads.

If we had another choice like 'Prospects" this would be better.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

0
Matt
2/17/2006 8:07:10 PM
Thanks for the info Matt. I'll pass this info along.

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> Actually, this is the true definition of a Lead.  These are non-qualified
> Leads and you have no idea if they are insterested in your products or not.
> You will actually be cluttering your DB more by putting them into Contact as
> that should only be used for someone who is "qualified".  In theory,
> everything starts with a Lead and then converts to a Contact and/or Account
> once qualified.
>
> BTW, you cannot convert a Contact back into a Lead.  I think you are
> confusing Lead with Opportunity in the system.
>
> --
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM
>

> "Morris" <Morris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Assume I have a list of names from a recent trade show. We want to bring
> them
> into CRM for Marketing Activities. Would it be better to bring them in as
> contacts, and then convert to a lead when a response is received? Our
> prospect wants to keep Leads as leads and not cluttered with non-leads.
>
> If we had another choice like 'Prospects" this would be better.
>
> Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Look into building a "sales process."  Once the lead is qualified and
converted to a contact as mentioned below you could associate that contact
with an "opportunity."  You can then assigne a sales process rule to that
opportunity.

Could way to stay on the ball!

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> Actually, this is the true definition of a Lead.  These are non-qualified
> Leads and you have no idea if they are insterested in your products or not.
> You will actually be cluttering your DB more by putting them into Contact as
> that should only be used for someone who is "qualified".  In theory,
> everything starts with a Lead and then converts to a Contact and/or Account
> once qualified.
>
> BTW, you cannot convert a Contact back into a Lead.  I think you are
> confusing Lead with Opportunity in the system.
>
> --
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM
>

> "Morris" <Morris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Assume I have a list of names from a recent trade show. We want to bring
> them
> into CRM for Marketing Activities. Would it be better to bring them in as
> contacts, and then convert to a lead when a response is received? Our
> prospect wants to keep Leads as leads and not cluttered with non-leads.
>
> If we had another choice like 'Prospects" this would be better.
>
> Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

And many people totally confuse the concept of Opportunity.

An Opportunity is the tracking of real potential dollars. If you convert
every potential prospect to include an opportunity record then your sales
pipeline will be unrealistic. One good practice is to create an opportunity
only when real dollars look realistic. Their might be only a 10% chance of a
close but the chance exists.

--
Anne Stanton, MVP-CRM, MBA/ACC
President

"Soundmill_Wil" <SoundmillWil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Look into building a "sales process."  Once the lead is qualified and
> converted to a contact as mentioned below you could associate that contact
> with an "opportunity."  You can then assigne a sales process rule to that
> opportunity.
>
> Could way to stay on the ball!
>
> "Matt Parks" wrote:
>
>> Actually, this is the true definition of a Lead.  These are non-qualified
>> Leads and you have no idea if they are insterested in your products or
>> not.
>> You will actually be cluttering your DB more by putting them into Contact
>> as
>> that should only be used for someone who is "qualified".  In theory,
>> everything starts with a Lead and then converts to a Contact and/or
>> Account
>> once qualified.
>>
>> BTW, you cannot convert a Contact back into a Lead.  I think you are
>> confusing Lead with Opportunity in the system.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Matt Parks
>> MVP - Microsoft CRM
>>

>> "Morris" <Morris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Assume I have a list of names from a recent trade show. We want to bring
>> them
>> into CRM for Marketing Activities. Would it be better to bring them in as
>> contacts, and then convert to a lead when a response is received? Our
>> prospect wants to keep Leads as leads and not cluttered with non-leads.
>>
>> If we had another choice like 'Prospects" this would be better.
>>
>> Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

0
Anne

Import and export

Importing messages #6

Importing data

excel 97 xml import

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Importing Dynamic data

Investmnet transactions by tx date vs. settlement date?
When I download broker transacitons, they appear to be recorded base dupon the settlement date rather than the transaction date. This can confuse me as the difference is up to 5 days (sometimes seems like more). Is there a way to set the default to record and track transactions by the trade date rather than the date the trade settles? In microsoft.public.money, spacebased wrote: >When I download broker transacitons, they appear to be recorded base dupon >the settlement date rather than the transaction date. This can confuse me as >the difference is up to 5 days (sometimes s...

Importing a CSV file

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

importing email

import pdf table

Field missing upon XML import

Excel 2003

Import / date questions
Hi I have imported a lot of email (15,000) from Thunderbird > converted from mbox > .eml - dragged the email into Outlook express and then imported into Outlook2003. All has worked fine ish- but a lot of messages have the "received" field set as todays date / time. If I select the "sent" field that is correct. Is there anyway to reset the date on an email message in outlook (ideally on mass) - what is the difference between the Sent field and the received field ? Thanks Hi Just did a check, and the data in outlook express is correct. Its when I did the impor...

how to contact site manager
something odd happens when i sign in to this page...does anyone know the contact info for the site manager. thx LF What "site" are you viewing this from? "LF" <LF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86FBA0B1-DF54-42F3-9540-8392308FFAB6@microsoft.com... > something odd happens when i sign in to this page...does anyone know the > contact info for the site manager. thx http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.money&cat=en_US_fda0f23c-f299-4019-86c6-e1998434d20d&lang=en&cr=US "Dick ...

importing a cell value
I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address ie cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our server (j:\121213\Drafting\Quants\) "105 White Ant" = the name of the .xls B3 = the cell I need to import C6 = value(A34+"105 White Ant"+B3) Any help or advice would be hugely appriciated Sorry I should also have specified that I want to avoid the use of macros. "Kristian G" wrote: > I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address > ie > cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our ...

Need a utility to import mail to Outlook via print dialog... or some other way to import proprietary messages into Outlook.
Hello, We need to migrate 100s of proprietary PSTs from a little-known mail system to Outlook/Exchange but the file format of the PSTs is binary, proprietary and undocumented. One option is to leave the PSTs and let the users consult them in offline mode forever. The problem there is that they wouldn't be able to reply to or forward the messages, only read or print them. Not very user-friendly, they have GBs of mail in them. Has anyone seen an application which lets you print a message into an Outlook mail message, much like you print to a PDF file? Any other suggestions for workarounds...

Display of contact fields
There seems no way to increase the displayed length of the contact name field when you view your contacts. The field length (display) is not generous and results in truncation (in display only) of most of the contact names, which is a pity. You have posted no question because you did not even specify the view to which you are referring, nor to which name field. We don't even know what version of Outlook you are using. All of that information is required if you want to ask a question in a newsgroup. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <rbhbsgm@gmail.com> wrote in message news:119...

mail-enable contacts
We have to mail-enable a large group of active directory contacts. Normaly we do this using the Exchange Tasks wizard. Does anybody know if there is a possibility (scripting?) to establish the e-mail address for all the contacts in just one step instead of taking the wizard one thousand times? Cheers, dave. Take a look at the Windows Server Cookbook, there is a chapter in there about scripting common Exchange tasks like this. Alternatively check out MSDN and the mailenable method. -- Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services www.joeware.net news.microsoft.com wr...

Incorrect import of decimal point placement.
I'm using Money 2004 Deluxe. This past week when I imported a QIF file into Money from my financial institution and the decimal point shifted 2 spaces to left in all but 2 entries. Instead of 400.00, the result was 4.00. Has this occurred to anyone? Iv'e been using the software for the past 3 months and this is the first time it had occured. Money or Financial institution problem?? In microsoft.public.money, Martin wrote: >I'm using Money 2004 Deluxe. >This past week when I imported a QIF file into Money from my financial >institution and the decimal point shifted 2 ...

Excel-Based Budgeting-print an exception report after the import
When importing a budget into GP from Excel (using Excel-Based Budgeting), if any account numbers are entered in Excel that are not in GP, the import drops them without any warning or notification. In our case, we have 5500 lines of information to manually review to find the problem. A solution is to have an exception report print after the import to list any accounts in Excel that were not imported into GP. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree"...