importing and linking accounts / contacts

I need to import about 700 accounts and a similar (but slightly smaller)
number of contacts into CRM 3.0, link the contacts to the accounts, and link
the accounts to a parent account.

Irritatingly, my access to CRM's features are restricted and I have to rely
on some guy at another office to do the import.  He agrees that he can bulk
import the account / contact data, but he claims that bulk linking is
impossible.

Is it possible to bulk link in CRM 3.0?
Is it possible that my company's particular CRM version or license or
configuration doesn't have this capability?

If bulk linking is impossible , what can I do to make linking 700 accounts
less painful?

Many thanks for your help
0
99510 (3)
7/2/2008 3:50:01 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

It is possible to link in CRM 3.0 although litte tricky . If i
remember the CRM 3.0 then let me try :=).

1 = first u need to import account ...........

account name ....Country

Microsoft       .....USA

2 = use sql or ODBC and pull the imported account unique ID to the
excel sheet

account name ........ID
Microsoft   ..........D2B9D78B-B1D0-DC11-9919-005056B13167

3 = put the contact on excel sheet

last name ......first name ...........parentcustomer name ......
accountID
Gate ..........Bill ...........................USA ..................D2B9D78B-
B1D0-DC11-9919-005056B13167

4 = now delete the parentcustomer name , because you are know that you
pasted the right value . If you want to use only excel then you can
excel vlookup function ....

5 = final import look like

last name ......first name ...............  accountID
Gate ..........Bill .............................D2B9D78B-B1D0-
DC11-9919-005056B13167

now you import it .

PS" i recommed you to use CRM 4.0 instead of installing crm 3.0 for
fresh install if it is fresh install

/Aamir
0
whatelseto (435)
7/2/2008 7:08:24 PM
Thanks for your reply.

2 = use sql or ODBC and pull the imported account unique ID to the
excel sheet

Could someone provide some more detail on that step?  The person in charge
of our CRM is both not very technically competent, and not in the same
country as I am.   Needless to say, this is unfamiliar territory for me, too.

Even if my access to CRM features are restricted, could I somehow access the
database remotely, given the required login information?

"Aamir Bashir" wrote:

> It is possible to link in CRM 3.0 although litte tricky . If i
> remember the CRM 3.0 then let me try :=).
>
> 1 = first u need to import account ...........
>
> account name ....Country
>
> Microsoft       .....USA
>
> 2 = use sql or ODBC and pull the imported account unique ID to the
> excel sheet
>
> account name ........ID
> Microsoft   ..........D2B9D78B-B1D0-DC11-9919-005056B13167
>
> 3 = put the contact on excel sheet
>
> last name ......first name ...........parentcustomer name ......
> accountID
> Gate ..........Bill ...........................USA ..................D2B9D78B-
> B1D0-DC11-9919-005056B13167
>

> 4 = now delete the parentcustomer name , because you are know that you
> pasted the right value . If you want to use only excel then you can
> excel vlookup function ....
>
> 5 = final import look like
>
> last name ......first name ...............  accountID
> Gate ..........Bill .............................D2B9D78B-B1D0-
> DC11-9919-005056B13167
>
> now you import it .
>
> PS" i recommed you to use CRM 4.0 instead of installing crm 3.0 for
> fresh install if it is fresh install
>
> /Aamir

0
99510 (3)
7/2/2008 9:14:00 PM
1 = on SQL you can run the query  (as i dont have database infornt of
me , mistake can happen )

use OrganizationName_MSCRM

select name ,accountid

FROM Accountbase

export the result on excel sheet. now you have to excel sheet .You
have to match the "name " on both sheet and then you need to insert
the "accountid " on the sheet of "contact ".

i used to use vlookup excel function.
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-vlookup-formula.htm

O R:

use the migartion license of   data import manager and it is quite
simple and easy with it .

http://www.crmextensions.com/Page.aspx?id=66673538-2ae2-db11-9607-0003ff3b5e8e

/Aamir
0
whatelseto (435)
7/2/2008 9:37:28 PM
Thanks.

What about the "Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Data Migration Pack"?

According to
http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/configure/chooseimport.mspx,

"The Bulk Import Wizard cannot import notes and attachments. Although it is
possible to use the Wizard to import related records, such as a contact
record that is associated with a specific account, tracking the relationship
requires looking up the unique identifier for the parent record in Microsoft
CRM before importing the related record. If you have many related records to
import, or need to import notes and attachments, using the Data Migration
Framework to import related records is recommended."

Is that what I need?

"Aamir Bashir" wrote:

> 1 = on SQL you can run the query  (as i dont have database infornt of
> me , mistake can happen )
>
> use OrganizationName_MSCRM
>
> select name ,accountid
>
> FROM Accountbase
>

> export the result on excel sheet. now you have to excel sheet .You
> have to match the "name " on both sheet and then you need to insert
> the "accountid " on the sheet of "contact ".
>
> i used to use vlookup excel function.
> http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-vlookup-formula.htm
>
> O R:
>
> use the migartion license of   data import manager and it is quite
> simple and easy with it .
>

> http://www.crmextensions.com/Page.aspx?id=66673538-2ae2-db11-9607-0003ff3b5e8e
>

> /Aamir

0
99510 (3)
7/3/2008 1:12:03 PM
Frankly speaking i never used microsoft data migration pack :). So i
can not be more help on microsoft data migration from CRM 3.0 .

But nothing wrong in giving it a try.

/Aamir

0
whatelseto (435)

Import and export

Importing messages #6

Importing data

Gmail accounts
I have a couple of gmail accounts and set them up in the account list of Entourage 2008. It will create one set of inbox on the left pane. I do not want to have so many sets of accounts on the left pane but all incoming mails on My Computer only. Can someone advise me how to configure it. Thanks, Scott Hi Scott, delete your accounts, then recreate them as POP accounts instead of IMAP accounts; that way, all the messages will go into your local inbox. Keep in mind that there are a couple of disadvantages when it comes to using POP accounts (e.g. if you read a message vi...

excel 97 xml import

OUTLOOK links & pictures
My outlook received e-mails have suddenly stopped displaying pictures and links. Can anyone please help ?? ...

Can't open highlighted link contained within an email message
When I receive an email and there is a link highlighted within the email, I can't click on the link and have it open. When I click on the link, nothing happens. Any ideas? ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Importing Dynamic data

charter account
at wich country established related course first? How are you? are you fine? "hamidreza" wrote: > at wich country established related course first? ...

Importing a CSV file

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

importing email

import pdf table

Field missing upon XML import

Excel 2003

Command button and linking spreadsheets
what's the formula to create several links to spreadsheets for several command buttons in control tool box? Eg. I want a summary sheet with 3 command buttons, once i click on a command button it will go to the spreadsheet that was specified. Help plz. ...

how to contact site manager
something odd happens when i sign in to this page...does anyone know the contact info for the site manager. thx LF What "site" are you viewing this from? "LF" <LF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86FBA0B1-DF54-42F3-9540-8392308FFAB6@microsoft.com... > something odd happens when i sign in to this page...does anyone know the > contact info for the site manager. thx http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.money&cat=en_US_fda0f23c-f299-4019-86c6-e1998434d20d&lang=en&cr=US "Dick ...

Import / date questions
Hi I have imported a lot of email (15,000) from Thunderbird > converted from mbox > .eml - dragged the email into Outlook express and then imported into Outlook2003. All has worked fine ish- but a lot of messages have the "received" field set as todays date / time. If I select the "sent" field that is correct. Is there anyway to reset the date on an email message in outlook (ideally on mass) - what is the difference between the Sent field and the received field ? Thanks Hi Just did a check, and the data in outlook express is correct. Its when I did the impor...

importing a cell value
I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address ie cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our server (j:\121213\Drafting\Quants\) "105 White Ant" = the name of the .xls B3 = the cell I need to import C6 = value(A34+"105 White Ant"+B3) Any help or advice would be hugely appriciated Sorry I should also have specified that I want to avoid the use of macros. "Kristian G" wrote: > I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address > ie > cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our ...

dropdownlist and linking help needed.
Just making trying to categorise my DVD's at home while try to learn some excel stuff. I figure out how to make a drop downlist through the data validation, so I got the categories in the list as -> horror, sci-fi, romance, action...etc But I failed to find any tuts on how the next step in the linking the dropdown to the content. So can someone tell me what do I need to do next? eg click [horror] from the list -> list of horror films I have. <-how do I do this part? thanks -- rugae ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rugae's Profile: h...