Import Contacts from Outlook to CRM 3

Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Route we've been going is:

Export from Outlook to csv
Try to import csv
have countless error messages (usually the number of columns in the rows is
different than number in hearder row). This seems to be because outlook
exports address fields with Return characters between lines - but even
stripping these out we still have lots or problems (e.g. "source file is
corrupt") messages

Anyone?

0
Roger
1/13/2006 5:52:20 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You will get the source files is corrupt type messages if you data contains
weird characters.

I would export to a csv then import into excel. insert an additional column
at the end of your data with dummy data like xxx then save to csv.

now open the csv in notepad and replace all ,xxx with nothing to strip off
the last column.

now try reimport

=========================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm

"Roger" <roger_id@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Route we've been going is:
>
> Export from Outlook to csv
> Try to import csv
> have countless error messages (usually the number of columns in the rows
> is different than number in hearder row). This seems to be because outlook
> exports address fields with Return characters between lines - but even
> stripping these out we still have lots or problems (e.g. "source file is
> corrupt") messages
>
> Anyone?

0
John
1/14/2006 5:51:58 AM
Hi John

I've tried what you suggest but with no success sadly. If its a csv file it
always says file is corrupt (I've even put it through a csv parser which
confirms the file is not corrupt at all) - if I try it as tab separated txt
file instead then it imports some of the contacts but then either says
number of columns does not match header or some other error message re: Data
is out of Range.

This is pretty disastrous as an end-user experience and a mess for us to
sort out it seems. I'm perplexed as to whether its only us having this
problem or other people have it too but no other discussion on newsgroups?

Is there anything else we can try?

Roger
"John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in
message news:ejZGMcNGGHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You will get the source files is corrupt type messages if you data
> contains weird characters.
>
> I would export to a csv then import into excel. insert an additional
> column at the end of your data with dummy data like xxx then save to csv.
>
> now open the csv in notepad and replace all ,xxx with nothing to strip off
> the last column.
>
> now try reimport
>

> =========================
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm
>
> "Roger" <roger_id@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Route we've been going is:
>>
>> Export from Outlook to csv
>> Try to import csv
>> have countless error messages (usually the number of columns in the rows
>> is different than number in hearder row). This seems to be because
>> outlook exports address fields with Return characters between lines - but
>> even stripping these out we still have lots or problems (e.g. "source
>> file is corrupt") messages
>>
>> Anyone?

0
Roger
1/16/2006 11:43:01 AM
Roger I've found that sometimes Excel will save a file with extraneous data
from cells that you do not want included in the export.

To get around this, I always do a FILE-PRINT AREA-SET PRINT AREA and then
manually delete the rows and columns outside of my desired range, up to the
end of the XLS, just to be safe.

That's usually solved the problem for me.  If that doesn't fix it, you might
also want to be sure that you don't have + or any other unsupported
characters in your file, and that it's saved in UTF-8 format.  You can
insure this by opening the CSV file in Notepad and insuring that it's saving
with Unicode or UTF-8 encoding (ANSI is the default).

Daniel.

> Hi John
>
> I've tried what you suggest but with no success sadly. If its a csv file
> it always says file is corrupt (I've even put it through a csv parser
> which confirms the file is not corrupt at all) - if I try it as tab
> separated txt file instead then it imports some of the contacts but then
> either says number of columns does not match header or some other error
> message re: Data is out of Range.
>
> This is pretty disastrous as an end-user experience and a mess for us to
> sort out it seems. I'm perplexed as to whether its only us having this
> problem or other people have it too but no other discussion on newsgroups?
>
> Is there anything else we can try?
>
> Roger
> "John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in
> message news:ejZGMcNGGHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> You will get the source files is corrupt type messages if you data
>> contains weird characters.
>>
>> I would export to a csv then import into excel. insert an additional
>> column at the end of your data with dummy data like xxx then save to csv.
>>
>> now open the csv in notepad and replace all ,xxx with nothing to strip
>> off the last column.
>>
>> now try reimport
>>

>> =========================
>> John O'Donnell
>> Microsoft CRM MVP
>> http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm
>>
>> "Roger" <roger_id@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Route we've been going is:
>>>
>>> Export from Outlook to csv
>>> Try to import csv
>>> have countless error messages (usually the number of columns in the rows
>>> is different than number in hearder row). This seems to be because
>>> outlook exports address fields with Return characters between lines -
>>> but even stripping these out we still have lots or problems (e.g.
>>> "source file is corrupt") messages
>>>
>>> Anyone?

0
Daniel

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Importing data

categories in Outlook
There must be a way to set a default category for use in Outlook? But, I cannot find a method. Can anyone help? Eric ...

excel 97 xml import

OUTLOOK links & pictures
My outlook received e-mails have suddenly stopped displaying pictures and links. Can anyone please help ?? ...

Outlook Express 6 #51
On April 16, I downloaded Window update. I run Windows 98. I was running Outlook Express 5. I updated at the time of the Windows update to OE6. Now when I go to OE I can't open, send any e-mail or open my address book. An error message comes up that says Msimn This program has performed an illegal operation....and it closes OE. How do I fix this? -- Thanks, Cathy Cathy Wing wrote: > On April 16, I downloaded Window update. I run Windows 98. I was running > Outlook Express 5. I updated at the time of the Windows update to OE6. Now > when I go to OE I can't open, send ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Export to Outlook 2010
I have the new BETA MS/office. All is good except how do I get my Outlook "07" date into the new BETA Outlook 2010? You open the previous data file, but then you might mean your data is on one PC and you want to open it on a new PC? Not realy enough info "Jimmy" <Jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92C5E4A4-1EA0-4361-A37A-ADACC890CBC0@microsoft.com... >I have the new BETA MS/office. All is good except how do I get my Outlook > "07" date into the new BETA Outlook 2010? You can connect to an existing pst-file via...

Importing Dynamic data

Importing a CSV file

outlook attachment question
she attaches a file, it automatically is inserted in the body, as opposed to being an attachment Switch to HTML or Plain Text format; Tools-> Options-> tab Mail Format -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "nat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2015401c45872$8ac3cba0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > she attaches a file, it automatically is inserted in the > body, as opposed to being an attachment ...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Outlook 2003 send fine, but does not recieve
I have Outlook 2003 installed and at least twice a day, I get the following error message: Task 'Comcast Email - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' I have tried ending all processes other than Outlook, with no change. I have tried rebooting with no change. Sometimes it is when I first open Outlook, and sometimes it happens after I have had it open a while. I have talked to Comcast and they do not have any resolution for th...

Outlook Crashing!!
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3689E.34052620 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, My Outlook just started crashing whenever I click on the "Find a = Contact" drop down on the standard toolbar. This is very inconvenient, = since I use this quite often. Any reason and/or fix for this? --=20 Thanks for any help, Craig S. Force Design, Inc. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3689E.34052620 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encodin...

Relay Problem #3
My exchange 5.5 SP4 server is/was an open relay. I went in and told it to never reroute smtp mail, and now none of my email boxes can get mail delivered to it. What should I do? One of my clients running Exchange 5.5 was running a Open Relay. You can tell this by opening up and telneting into port 25 and seeing if you can send mail through that port. If you get a blocked message you are not running an open relay, if you can relay a message through your exchange server then I followed a webpage on microsoft on securing exchange 5.5. I remember that it had to do with locking down who yo...

importing email

Turning off the threaded message display in Outlook Express?
How can I force Outlook Express 6 to display incoming messages sorted by the date instead of displaying message threads sorted by the date of the first message in the thread? About two days ago my Outlook Express started displaying messages in the e-mail folders in threads although I never asked for it. I would not like to miss any message by letting Outlook Express bury it among the older stuff. Fortunately, the messages are mostly stored in IMAP4 folders, so if I would be unable to force Outlook Express 6 work normally, it would be easy to switch to Mozilla Mail. "totojepast" &l...

Diagnostics for broken Outlook 2002
A computer with Outlook has come our way, and outlook will sometimes send messages and sometimes it wont sent messages. I know with Linux, this kind of problem is very fixable. I would just take a look at the logs, find the problem and fix it. How do I do this with Outlook, as the owner of the computer has gotten himself attached to it? I am going to relay the outlook mail through a Debian server to get some kind of info on the problem, but this might not be enough. How do I get to the Outlook logs? Tom <TOM@spam.net> wrote: > A computer with Outlook has come our way, > an...

import pdf table

Outlook 2002 Filters.txt
Can the Filters.txt file be changed? Yes, but for what reason? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Bob Van Der Ploeg asked: | Can the Filters.txt file be changed? I want to be able to add addtional lines for better email=20 filtering.=20 Subject contains "Buy Valium Online" Subject contains "chea-p" Subject contains "v*i@gr@&q...