How to Disable Compulsory Fields

Hi

Ive just started to play about with CRM and need to disable a
compulsory 'Name' field in a new entity.
I dont need it at all and cant use it for anything else.

Do I use the forms onLoad event to put garbage in it? Although even
then its displayed and ideally I just want it gone.

0
MattieG
2/6/2007 10:46:29 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Every custom entity has a primary field. It is used as the display name when
referencing your entity in a lookup control.
When you create a new entity you will see two tabs. The first tab contains
the name, display name, display collection name and so one. The second tab
(usually overseen), defines the primary field. By default it is named
"Name". You can change it only when creating the custom entity, but not
afterwards. It also has to be a text field.

If you have a text field on your form that's more appropriate to serve as
the display name, you should specify it on the second tab. As said, you
cannot change it after the entity has been created, so you need to rebuild
your custom entity if you want to do it.

Hiding the name field is possible through code, but as it is required you
have to set some value. If you put garbage in it, you will see garbage in
any lookup control referencing your entity.

--
Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP

Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2
Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx
Custom Lookup Dialog: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/?area=customLookup

"MattieG" <mattiegriffin@hotmail.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi
>
> Ive just started to play about with CRM and need to disable a
> compulsory 'Name' field in a new entity.
> I dont need it at all and cant use it for anything else.
>
> Do I use the forms onLoad event to put garbage in it? Although even
> then its displayed and ideally I just want it gone.

0
Michael
2/7/2007 8:00:36 AM
Hi Mattie,

Generally, you can change the display name of an unused field and use it for
something else (ie., other than the intended purpose).

You can also set the required level of an attribute through Customizations
-><<Entity name>> -> Attributes -> <<select the desired attribute here>>  ->
set the required level using 'Requirement level'; the options available are
(1)Business Required (2)Business Recommended (3) No constraint. Select 'No
constraint', save and publish the changes. You can also choose to remove the
field from the form.

Another option would be to hide the field using onLoad scripting.

Having said that, I agree with Michael. Name is one of the primary
attributes and it is recommended that you use it the way it is meant to be
used for ease of use if not anything else!!

Hope i didn't confuse you!

HTH,
Niths

"Michael Höhne" wrote:

> Every custom entity has a primary field. It is used as the display name when
> referencing your entity in a lookup control.
> When you create a new entity you will see two tabs. The first tab contains
> the name, display name, display collection name and so one. The second tab
> (usually overseen), defines the primary field. By default it is named
> "Name". You can change it only when creating the custom entity, but not
> afterwards. It also has to be a text field.
>
> If you have a text field on your form that's more appropriate to serve as
> the display name, you should specify it on the second tab. As said, you
> cannot change it after the entity has been created, so you need to rebuild
> your custom entity if you want to do it.
>
> Hiding the name field is possible through code, but as it is required you
> have to set some value. If you put garbage in it, you will see garbage in
> any lookup control referencing your entity.
>
> --
> Michael Höhne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
>
> Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2
> Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx
> Custom Lookup Dialog: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/?area=customLookup

> "MattieG" <mattiegriffin@hotmail.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi
> >
> > Ive just started to play about with CRM and need to disable a
> > compulsory 'Name' field in a new entity.
> > I dont need it at all and cant use it for anything else.
> >
> > Do I use the forms onLoad event to put garbage in it? Although even
> > then its displayed and ideally I just want it gone.

Disable BU
A really quick one for you. If I disable a BU in MSCRM, does the corresponding OU in Active Directory become disabled? I think the answer probably 'No' as I actually cannot find a way to disable the OU manually and therefore cannot check, but if anyone has a definitive answer I would be grateful. Regards Peter John - thanks for your help. Regards Peter >-----Original Message----- >No, disabling BU in CRM will not disable corresponding OU in the AD, just like dissabling CRM user in CRM will not siable the corrsponding user in AD. > >"Pete" wrote: > &...

how can disable service with bat file
Hi, Please tell me, how can i disable service with bat file. What service? "Vijay" wrote: > Hi, > > Please tell me, how can i disable service with bat file. > Please tell me, how can i disable service with bat file. That's funny ... weren't we just talking about Permissions? :-) Anyway, the command to control a Windows Service (enable, start, stop, disable, etc) is SC.EXE. Run SC /? at a command prompt to see the syntax. Put the necessary SC command in a batch file, and you are all set. Hope it helps, Andrew -- amclar at ...

Print Preview "Prev Page" but is always disabled
Hello, I have created an MFC application and have added Printing and Print Preview capability. The only problem i have is that the Prev Page button on the Print Preview toolbar is always disabled. The "Two Pages" button and "Next Page" are enabled and work correctly. I am setting the CPrintInfo::SetMaxPage() and CPrintInfo::SetMinPage() and CPrintInfo::m_nCurPage values in OnPreparePrinting() but this doesnt seem to make a difference. Is their anything else that i can try which will enable this button? Thanks Andy ...

Export to Excel
Can anyone give me some help on export records to Excel please. I have a table were each field is 254 chars and I have chopped up some data. I would like to put it back together as I export it to Excel. Like this: part1 part2 part3 part4 etc. Export all into Cell 1 Thanks in advance! Bonnie On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:26:01 -0800, Bon <Bon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Rather than exporting a table, export a query. In this query you concatenate the fields: select part1 & part2 & part3 & part4 as AllParts from myTable -Tom. Microsoft Access...

disable macro warning
I added macro which I then deleted. Every time I enter system it asks me if I want to disable or enable macros - how do I turn off this warning screen upon entering system when I have no macros in the worksheet? You need to remove the module that contained the macro. Press ALT+F11, go to View > Project Explorer (if needed), right-click on the module(s), and remove it. Save. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I added macro which I then deleted. Every time I enter >system it asks me if I want to disable or enable macros - >how do I turn off this warnin...

Duplicating a record leaving one field blank for editing
Hi - I've seen many different posts regarding duplicating a record - I am able to do this fine, however I do have a need to leave one of the fields (Position.NewLineNo) blank so that the user can fill it in. This field is not a primary key - I have a PositionID field which uses the autonumber feature. Since my VBA skills are not very advanced I'm looking for a solution to leave the field blank. I've included the code that I am using. This code is using a cmd button with the OnClick() event: Private Sub cmdDuplicateRecord_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdDuplicateRecord_Click...

POP STATGRP field
Good evening all I've looked in Resources/Tables and I cannot find a listing of the meaning of the various numbers for the STATGRP field found in the POP10100 and POP30100 tables. Does anyone have a full listing please? Thankx Sheila Sheila, According to the SDK: Status Group: Assigned when the status of the purchase order changes and is used to group Purchase Orders by status types to enable ranging on active (New, Open or Modified) or closed (Canceled or Closed ) purchase orders. Values: 1 = POP_ACTIVE 2 = POP_CLOSED Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximu...

Description field too narrow
Is there any way to configure the description field to stay the same width? I often must use the mouse pointer to expand the field width so I can see the whole description. -- Harry Betz Newtown, Pa www.newtownbike.com This can be fixed by changing your screen resolution to a size larger than 800x600 "Harry" <harry@newtownbike.com> wrote in message news:uDPVEDflEHA.2884@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to configure the description field to stay the same width? > I often must use the mouse pointer to expand the field width so I can see > the whole descr...

Disable sending Email
In Exchange 5.5 in an NT Domain, is there a way to disable an user from sending email? He should be able to open and read his email but not be able to send out email untill permitted. Thanks On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:01:03 -0800, "SI" <SI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Exchange 5.5 in an NT Domain, is there a way to disable an user from >sending email? He should be able to open and read his email but not be able >to send out email untill permitted. > >Thanks You can do this on Internet mail by setting the Delivery Restriction on the IMS to deny mail...

SMTP being disabled
HI Exchange 2003 / Server 2003 I'm just having a world of problems with Exchange all of a sudden... It's been up and running about 2 months but all of a sudden it's going nuts... The SMTP service is being stopped and set to disabled. This is happening each morning around 1 AM. The only thing I can find in the event logs is event 7035 - The SMTP service was successfully sent a stop control and then Event 7040 - The start type of SMTP service was changed from auto start to disabled For the life of me, I can't find what is originating these commands.... I thought maybe t...

Automated population of data in form fields
Hi Everyone, One of my client wants to fill in the city and state information automatically based on zip code in forms like account, lead, contact etc. how can I achieve this ? a detail of steps or list of thing to be customized can really help me. another question related to same forms and fields is that how can I convert certain textboxes to combo boxes like state, topic, salutation etc etc ? again steps to achieve this and thing to be customized will really help. Thanks in advance Regards Ashfaq Ali You will need a database holding all zip codes and the associated cities and st...

sql to update inventory allocation field in IV00102
I am trying to come up with a sql script that will recalculate ATYALLOC field in IV00102. If anyone has it, email it please at jacktundra@hotmail.com ...

Disable Cached Mode
Hi all! Is there any way to disable Cached Mode (CM) on Exchange 2003? Sure, I can do it with GPO, but some computers can be out of scope of this GPO and then they will be able to turn on the CM in their Offce 2003. But CM is critical security risk and I have to disable it. At http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP010000781033.aspx?Product=out2003 I can read: "Exchange server administrators have the ability to disable this feature in Outlook. For more information, contact your Exchange server administrator. Additional information for administrators is available in the Mi...

How do I get rid of #agg fields when Importing an XML file into E.
I'm importing an XML file that has int and double information within it. When the data is imported into Excel I get an extra column tagged with #agg For example: - <NewDataSet> - <Results> <FOO>41.01</FOO> </Results> This creates two columns when importing to Excel /Results/FOO /Results/FOO/#agg 41.01 41.01 ...

How to select distinct combinations of 2 fields that can be the sa
Hi everyone, I'm working with a table that has origin and destination fields. I'm trying to figure out the amount of flow between 2 locations. For example: amount from CA to NY + amount from NY to CA. While I can get the calculation to work correctly, in my query it returns Origin: NY Dest: CA 1234 Origin: CA Dest: NY 1234 The 1234 is the correct total of the amount going from NY to CA added to the amount going from CA to NY. I'm trying to figure out how to only show one of the two rows. Thanks for any help you can provide. Amy Post the SQL of your query. -- KARL DE...

Enable/Disable Macro Pop-Up
In the older version of Office when you opened an excel or other office document that had a macro in it - you would get a pop up and the opportunity to enable or disable it. Is there a way to get that same pop-up in 2007? See Help, macro setting Change macro security settings in Excel juamig wrote: > In the older version of Office when you opened an excel or other office > document that had a macro in it - you would get a pop up and the opportunity > to enable or disable it. Is there a way to get that same pop-up in 2007? > Right, someone else told me the...

Protecting sheet disables Grouping buttons
I am delivering a worksheet to a client, and have protected it. As well as stopping people changing the data, though, it also stops them using the Grouping buttons. How can I enable grouping on a protected sheet? If you already have the outline applied, you can protect the worksheet in code (auto_open/workbook_open??). Option Explicit Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True .EnableOutlining = True .EnableAutoFilter = True End With End Sub (I wasn't sure what caused your outlining--...

how to copy acces database field into word document
I' l be very glad if someone could help me to learn, how could i insert the copy of access field into word document. I look for information regarding posibility of diferent way of clasical insert merge fields into document. For example I saw the word document with access fields inserted, but each field was delimited with sqare brackets. Thank you in advance. I would urge you to take a look at http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html Specifically the 'Super Easy Word Merge.' about half way down the page. It is relatively simple to implement and works...

Field "e-Mail" in ADUC "General Tab"
hy there, short question: what about the "e-Mail" filed in the active-directory-users-and-computers-snapin at the "general tab"? what is the funcionality of this field? does exchange need this field, or is this only nice to have? why do i have to fill out this field? what will happen, when i change the value of this field? must there be the same e-mail-address like in the "e-mail-adresses" tab? what if, when there is an other e-mail adress like in "e-mail-adresses"? thanks in advance for any help, links, hints, answers. greets daniel Hi Daniel, Do...

Disabling New Records on Forms in VB
Hi Everyone, I have designed a form which successfully supresses the ability to create new records by setting the AllowAdditions property to "No". The problem is that when I open the form using the code below the form once again allows additions and I can't figure out how to prevent this. I tagged the "Me.AllowAdditions = False" into the openargs section but to no avail. If anyone can spot the problem in my code I would be very grateful. Thanks, John ******* Start Code ******* Private Sub cmdView_Click() Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As ...

Hiding A Field
I'm trying to have a field trigger another field's presence. I have a field that holds a Y or N. I need for when it show N to not show the field below it and otherwise to show all the fields. A screenshot of the undesired producct can be obtained from me if you have questions. On Feb 17, 3:15 pm, "Jim" <jim.be...@gmail.com> wrote: > I'm trying to have a field trigger another field's presence. I have a > field that holds a Y or N. I need for when it show N to not show the > field below it and otherwise to show all the fields. > > A screensho...

Disable username, password and domain prompt
Greetings... I currently have a network with computers running Windows 2000 with Outlook 2000 SR-1 and am in the process of upgrading the computers to Windows XP with Outlook 2002 SP3. One of my users has an issue where he has to type in his username, password, and the domain every time he opens up Outlook on the Windows XP machines, but never on the Windows 2000 machines. The option to uncheck the "Always prompt for username and password" box is not found on either version of Outlook, and he is set up for NT password authentication in his Outlook settings. Is there something else...

Disable Trended Deposits
Does anyone know how to turn off trended deposits (forecasted) feature? If you press the customize option on the left hand side, you can change it to show budget entries instead of trends -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially if it's a UK specific wish. I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money <a...

Disable page caching without disabling caching of jpegs and stylesheets etc
Hi, We have a data based web app that basically must not cache any of the pages as they contain real time data. I am currently using the following line in the page template on the PreInit event: Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache) Will this prevent things like Jpegs and CSS stylesheets from being cached as well? If so is there another way of doing this? Cheers, James JimLad wrote: > We have a data based web app that basically must not cache any of the > pages as they contain real time data. > > I am currently using the following line...

disable F1
Is there a way to disable the F1 Hot Key so that the Help Menu doesn't pop up? Place these in a standard module: Sub DisableF1() Application.OnKey "{F1}", "" End Sub Sub EnableF1() Application.OnKey "{F1}" End Sub HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to disable the F1 Hot Key so that the Help Menu doesn't pop up? >. > ...