How to create multiselect fields in CRM.

Group,

I've got some question about customization in Microsoft CRM.
We have a need to create multivalued fields in CRM.
Example: the account is dealership and we need to capture the list of
makes and models it sells. Pick list does not work, because it can let
you select only one value. Looks like we are going to have to create
new entity, but schema does not let us do it. Please let me know how
to do it?

Thanks,
Sergey Zelvenskiy
Sr. Software Engineer
Encore Development
sergey.zelvenskiy@encoredev.com
0
szelvenskiy
12/2/2003 9:17:39 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Sergey

None of the controls in CRM support multiple picks. I would recommend you
look at creating a custom addon for accounts to capture the information
unless anyone else comes up with a better solution.

"Sergey" <szelvenskiy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Group,
>
> I've got some question about customization in Microsoft CRM.
> We have a need to create multivalued fields in CRM.
> Example: the account is dealership and we need to capture the list of
> makes and models it sells. Pick list does not work, because it can let
> you select only one value. Looks like we are going to have to create
> new entity, but schema does not let us do it. Please let me know how
> to do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Sergey Zelvenskiy
> Sr. Software Engineer
> Encore Development
> sergey.zelvenskiy@encoredev.com

0
John
12/2/2003 9:19:43 PM
Hi,
I had the same problem regarding Opportunity form. I had to go around this
by doing a custom form (VS .NET) and making a new navigation button on the
Opportunity form which shows the custom form that includes my custom fields.
These custom multi selection fields are saved in a new database because we
can't save it to the CRM schema. We use the OpportunityID to link to it.
This is not an easy way and I think is a heavy limitation in the CRM system
but on the other hand multiselection fields are always more complicated at
least from a database point of view.

regards,
Siggi

"Sergey" <szelvenskiy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Group,
>
> I've got some question about customization in Microsoft CRM.
> We have a need to create multivalued fields in CRM.
> Example: the account is dealership and we need to capture the list of
> makes and models it sells. Pick list does not work, because it can let
> you select only one value. Looks like we are going to have to create
> new entity, but schema does not let us do it. Please let me know how
> to do it?
>
> Thanks,
> Sergey Zelvenskiy
> Sr. Software Engineer
> Encore Development
> sergey.zelvenskiy@encoredev.com

0
Sigurdur
12/3/2003 9:45:49 AM
Cool - I have heard others do it the same way, thanks for the followup. I
had heard a rumour that later versions of CRM would allow you to create your
own objects but of course this is something we may see in a version 2
release next year.

"Sigurdur Hilmarsson" <siggi@im.is> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I had the same problem regarding Opportunity form. I had to go around this
> by doing a custom form (VS .NET) and making a new navigation button on the
> Opportunity form which shows the custom form that includes my custom
fields.
> These custom multi selection fields are saved in a new database because we
> can't save it to the CRM schema. We use the OpportunityID to link to it.
> This is not an easy way and I think is a heavy limitation in the CRM
system
> but on the other hand multiselection fields are always more complicated at
> least from a database point of view.
>
> regards,
> Siggi
>

> "Sergey" <szelvenskiy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Group,
> >
> > I've got some question about customization in Microsoft CRM.
> > We have a need to create multivalued fields in CRM.
> > Example: the account is dealership and we need to capture the list of
> > makes and models it sells. Pick list does not work, because it can let
> > you select only one value. Looks like we are going to have to create
> > new entity, but schema does not let us do it. Please let me know how
> > to do it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sergey Zelvenskiy
> > Sr. Software Engineer
> > Encore Development
> > sergey.zelvenskiy@encoredev.com

0
John

Creating a Schedule
Hi, I would like to creat a schedule in the following format. One worksheet shows all the jobs that need to be done in a week, with days of the week allocated to each job. A second worksheet in the workbook will show each day of the week, and I would like this to automatically populate with those jobs which have that particular day of the week assigned to them. The question is, how do I do this? I wondered about using a lookup facility, but I dont think this would work. I would like each job for a day to appear on a separate line. Many thanks for any help. Will ...

Upgrading from BCM to CRM
In the Microsoft Business Contact Manager, it says that you can easily migrate your data into CRM. Problem is that I can find out how do you do this? Can you migrate the entire database with links and attached mail or does it only allow you to migrate the contact list? Is there documentation for upgrading like the data migration documentation that comes with CRM 1.2? Any and all help is appreciated. I would head over to the BCM newsgroup to find out more. I know the BCM team have a priority to be able to migrate from BCM to CRM but do not know how that is achieved yet. If you find out...

I want to create a reports control panel... is there an example I can look at?
I want to create one form that the user can choose a report from a dropdown to print. Does anyone know of an example out there? Thanks Kelvin Here is a sample process Create a table with your report all names. Call it "Z_List_of_reports" Create a form named "Reports" Add a combo box to the form based on the "Z_List_of_reports" table Name the Combo Box "Report_Selected" Using the command button wizard add a print report button. Select any one of you reports to print. (this is temporary) Edit the VB code behind that button to reflect the name of...

Using the MS CRM standard lookup window in a custom form?
Hi, I am writing a custom web form that I am opening within the ms crm web application. I need to lookup a contact and populate a field on my webform with the selected contact from the lookup form. I would rather not reinvent the wheel, is it possible to use the standard MS CRM lookup records web form and return data from it to my custom form? TIA Hi. I have the same needings. How do you solve it ? Sebastiano "Karl Iuel" <karli@ispartners.co.za> ha scritto nel messaggio news:uD0ALlVbDHA.2928@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I am writing a custom web form th...

Great Plains Spanish (LAATM)
We have Microsoft Great Plains 8.0 spanish (latam) edition and CRM 3.0 We need integrated these two systems. Why only U.S. English editions of Microsoft Great Plains are supported in the CRM Connector for Microsoft Dynamics GP? Is necesary install all clients of MGP in US English or just one Client in US English is required for the integration? I've the same scenario "erika_filo" wrote: > We have Microsoft Great Plains 8.0 spanish (latam) edition and CRM 3.0 We > need integrated these two systems. > > Why only U.S. English editions of Microsoft Great P...

How to create a reference to an Excel add-in using VBA
Hi, I have code that is generated in VBA to add modules to the workbook module - this works fine. The problem is that the workbook code invokes functions & subroutines that are contained in the add-in, so far not so bad - all that should be required for the workbook code to function is a reference to the add-in. I don't want to make the reference thru the VB editor, I want it to be done programatically. I thought that this should work, but it just gets a "subscript out of range" error. I know that the name is spelled correctly. Any ideas why this is bombing? Code: ------...

crm entity navigation keyboard shortcuts
there are some keyboard shortcuts for doing things inside forms without the mouse but there aren't any for navigating from one entity to another or quickly open up a specific task, etc. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Busin...

MS SPLA Dynamics CRM Service Provider Edition 4.0 (QHH-00002)
OK, The Microsoft site indicates there are only three editions for CRM 4.0 with 90-day trial keys; however, our SPLA software provider has the media for the edition mentioned in the subject line. We've been told that the SPLA VLK edition of CRM 4.0 wouldn't ship till Feb. 1. We've also been told that the VLK is built into these particular binaries. Can someone clarify which edition a Service Provider needs to run in order to host CRM as a MS partner? I'm assuming this is the correct edition, however my only concern are the license keys. Thanks. -matt On Jan 23, 8:28 am,...

Adding Field Values
Has anyone added values in fields to give a total? There are 20 fields. 1 - 19 have a value (say 5 each) Field number 20 requires the total of 19 x 5. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Cheers, Mandy. Hi Mandy You can use JavaScript on Form onLoad or onSave to do it. sample code: var sum = crmForm.all.[fieldname1].DataValue + crmForm.all.[fieldname2].DataValue + crmForm.all.[fieldname3].DataValue + ... var total = sum * 5; crmForm.all.[fieldname20].DataValue = total; Hope this helps! Darren Liu Crowe Chizek and Company http://www.crowecrm.com Mandy wrote: > Has anyone added...

Fields not showing on Report
I have a report based on a query. When I add the fields to the report, some of my fields don't produce data.???? -- dks Post the SQL of the query. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no guarantee as to suitability. You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer possible/necessar...

Is there any way to Create a self-extracted file programmatically ?
Hi,guys!I need to create a self-extracted cabinet file with my app,but i don't know how to achieve this.I found ms cabinet sdk,but it dosen't mention the self-extracted cabinet.And i know IEpress can create a self-extracted cabinet file,but i want to write my app as IExpress. Is there any way i can achieve this ? Thank you advance! There is a cabarc.exe for creating cabinet file along with platform sdk. There is also a cabinet sdk available here:- http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/cab/2.0/w98nt42kmexp/en-us/Cabsdk.exe -- Vipin Aravind Microsoft MVP "how...

creating rules in macro or other way?
Hi... What is the best way to create folders and rules to redirect messages to the folders in outlook 2003? At the moment I only know how to create rules individually on each client machines. I would like to set the rules to apply for selective users from the server. Can this be done with an Outlook .prf file or GPO or some kind of script for targeted users? Any suggestion would be great.. Many thanks. Pwint You can't use a prf or gpo... VBA will work. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292063 -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need ...

How do I create a moving average in Excel?
I am trying to create a 12 month rolling average, example follows. J F M A M J J A S O N D average item 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 (rolling average) thank you In your example a rolling 12 month average is the same thing as the average -- given that you have only listed 12 months. Assuming your values are in A1-L1, you could put =Average(A1:L1). Art "SamA" wrote: > I am trying to create a 12 month rolling average, example follows. > > J F M A M J J A S O N ...

how to create an excel template
I am having problems trying to create an excel template. I took a xlt file. and put it in the dir C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033 However I do not see it ever showing up in the file>new>on my computer is there something special you have to do? thanks Some different computers and versions have slightly different locations. Let XL automatically place it in the proper location for you by simply clicking: <File> <Save As> And, at the bottom of the window, expand the "Save As Type" box, and click on "Template (*.xlt)" Then <Save>...

Need to split XLS file based on value of field
I have an XLS file with several thousand records. Several of the fields use a restricted drop-down list for entering dat - the choices on the drop-down list being pulled from "hidden worksheets. I say this because I think this means that the file has t remain XLS and not CSV or that restricted trop-down won't work. I now need to split this file into about a 100 files, based on th value in one of the columns. Is there a simple way to do this? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Try this set of macros. First, create a folder and put only your main data file in ...

updating a custom field in Accounts from another SQL database
Is there any safe way to update a custom field in the Accounts on CRM without using .Net programming or expensive software like Scribe. We need to update a flag custom field using info from another database. I know how to do it using ODBC link in Access to the CRM table, but I also know this is not recommended due to security in CRM. But we do not have any other options right now. Giving that this is not part of the default fields in CRM, and we are only updating not adding or deleting, are there really any issues to worry about. If so, is there another option. Thanks, Malcolm If ...

Having problem with combo box passing text into dest field.
Running on Access '02. Can't figure out how to get my combo box to pass the chosen line of text into the new field as text. It keeps showing up as a numerical number. Any advice, Thanks, in advance. Do you by any chance have 2 columns in the combo and the first column is a numeric primary key? If yes, then do it like this Me.[NameOfTextBox] = Me.[NameOfCombo].Column(1) The reference to column(1) will give you the second column of the combo which is the text you see when you drop the list for the combo. Combo column numbering is zero based (0 for the first column)....

Losing formatting input an ntext field in a e-mail template
I have created an email template with and I want to display the information of a Ntext field in the e-mail. I created the e-mail and insert the template, after inserting I lost the formatting of the Ntext field (missing enters/breaks). Does have anyone a solution? I have started running into this exact same issue. Haven't found a resolution yet. Please let me know if you find something. I'll do the same. "Ed" wrote: > I have created an email template with and I want to display the information > of a Ntext field in the e-mail. > > I created the e-mail...

Create charts that update automatically from data in rows
Hey Guys, I am trying to create charts that are updated automatically using the proceedure described in article 183446. I need to create charts from data in rows rather than columns. I changed the range to A1:AA1, but I don't get the expected result.. Could someone please describe the correct methode for me? Thanks -- Brent Hi, Details of the OFFSET formula direct from the help file. Syntax: OFFSET(reference,rows,cols,height,width) Reference - is the reference from which you want to base the offset. Reference must refer to a cell or range of adjacent cells; otherwise, OFFSET ...

Creating a template: How can I make a style that auto inserts text
What I am creating is a quiz template, so the idea is that it would prompt the user as to what piece was next. Right now, the quiz styles default all the way through, so when they hit Enter, it defaults to OptionA, then when they hit Enter again, it defaults to OptionB. When they type in the text of the last option and hit Enter, it defaults to the explanation para, and when it does that, I'd like it to automatically insert the text "Explanation:" to prompt the user. I don't think Word can do that, but are there add-on tools that will? Any help or suggestion...

Not able to create an Activex control within another activex contr
Hi, I'm not able to create an Activex control within another activex control. ........... CAxCtrl m_obj; ................. m_obj.Create(NULL,_T("Control1"),WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE,CRect(0,0,100,50),this,1000); ( this ----> parent activex control) I'm getting an error in occcont.cpp , in this particular line TRY { m_pCtrlCont = afxOccManager->CreateContainer(this); } END_TRY Thanks ...

Creating folder structure to be the same a nother PST.
Is there an easy way to create the same folder structure between a new PST and an exsisting one? I am creating a new PST file (several reasons) and want to keep all of my rules the same. Thanks Phil Even if it take VBA to do it, that is fine. TIA Phil "Phillips" <Phillips*NOSPAM*@RecycledReefs.com> wrote in message news:J2vCb.100047$_M.526398@attbi_s54... > Is there an easy way to create the same folder structure between a new PST > and an exsisting one? > I am creating a new PST file (several reasons) and want to keep all of my > rules the same. > > ...

how do i create a web excel file for all users to view and edit
I would like to create a web excel spreadsheet that all users can edit and the spreedsheet will keep their changes when you hit refresh. ...

Add a field to General Contact form?
Is it possible to add a field to the General form under the Contact tab for an Outlook (2007) contact? I'd like to add a "Relationship" field between the Job Title and File As fields. Can someone explain how to do this or point me to instructions? I'd be happy to pay someone a consulting fee to walk me through it over the phone. Can anyone recommend a good Outlook consultant? Thanks ...

Can't Creating a DLL Dialog box Object...
Hi I created a Dialog box class within a MFC DLL. I use the Resource Wizard to create the Dialog and Class Wizard to define the derived class. When I try to create an object of the derived Dialog box in the client application... the object pointer is NULL. I get no errors. The DLL is loaded at load-time, the DLL Library is included in the linker. Do you know what step(s) I might be leaving out ?? Thx, King If you are using a Regular DLL, you need to use AFX_MANAGE_STATE macro to make sure you use the appropriate state. If you are using a MFC Extension DLL, you should use CDynLinkLibrary...