How to Create a CRM Test Environment on SBS 2003?

John, some while back (3/28/05), you replied to a post about how to setup a
test environment, and you indicated that it could be accomplished using SBS
2003.  I would also like to learn how to create a "test environment" whether
it be Adventure Works Cyle, or a test copy of my current Production CRM...

Could you please provide a little more explanation regarding how this can be
done, using just the one SBS 2003 box?

Basically, I'm looking for a high-level / conceptual step-by-step to making
this happen.

Thanks much,

Boolean1
Boolean1@comcast.net

=======================

you can use virtualpc or even install a simple two server setup where one
server functions as a domain controller in a new forest (is disconnected
from your companies domain entirely) then add a second server to that new
domain. Users connecting to it from your production domain will get a login
prompt for their domain\username but that is not mich of an issue.

You can even use SBS 2003 to give the same result using one server.

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"AW" <AW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to set up a test environment for CRM.  I understand how to import
and
> export customizations.  What I don't understand is how I will have another
> CRM instance under the same domain?  Should I use the Adventure Works or
just
> use my CRM license on a different server?  Even with the Adventure Works,
> doesn't it have to connect to my domain and my AD and won't that mess
things
> up?

0
Boolean1
5/21/2005 5:03:13 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

The basics are pretty simple:

1) Install SBS
2) Install CRM on it

It really is that simple.  Using SBS brings some drawbacks (like no trusts,
etc), so it will basically result in a stand-alone environment.

If all you want is a test instance of CRM (and don't need the Exchange router),
I'd recommend installing on a new server in your current domain and choose a
different OU to be the install location in AD.  This has fewer infrastructure
implications.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 01:03:13 -0400, "Boolean1" <Boolean1@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

Matt
5/21/2005 7:31:34 PM
Depending on what you will do with your testing system...my advice is to use
VirtualPC or VMWare and install your testing environment in there.

I ruined as much as 4 CRM servers in 8 weeks all by "testing around" ;)

And since it takes you at least one day to set up a new environment, I
prefer the solution to just get a copy of a new CRM instance in up to 10
minutes...very fast redeployment in my opinion.

Performance in the Virtual environment is ok - no complains.
I didnt test it on VMWare, but with VitualPC you can't use remote desktop to
control the virtual machine running in the host-pc - the delay is to high.

Another advantage is the ability to disconnect your virtual host from the
"production network" (and instead set up your own virtual network).
Especially when youre playing around with some bulk-email testimonials...you
need to be sure that they wont go beyond your own infrastructure.
In addition to that, you can take a test-crm along with you to work at home,
show up at customer etc...

Recommended system:
processor >2GHz
RAM >= 2GB   (each virtual machine takes its RAM from the physical)
harddrive >160GB (my server image is around 10GB and my developer client is
around 4GB...and once you get used to it you will make snapshots of these
machine ;) )

"Matt Parks" <mattp65@Yax_RemoveDashAndX_xhoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> The basics are pretty simple:
>
> 1) Install SBS
> 2) Install CRM on it
>
> It really is that simple.  Using SBS brings some drawbacks (like no
> trusts,
> etc), so it will basically result in a stand-alone environment.
>
> If all you want is a test instance of CRM (and don't need the Exchange
> router),
> I'd recommend installing on a new server in your current domain and choose
> different OU to be the install location in AD.  This has fewer
> infrastructure
> implications.
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM

> On Sat, 21 May 2005 01:03:13 -0400, "Boolean1" <Boolean1@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> John, some while back (3/28/05), you replied to a post about how to setup
> test environment, and you indicated that it could be accomplished using
> SBS
> 2003.  I would also like to learn how to create a "test environment"
> whether
> it be Adventure Works Cyle, or a test copy of my current Production CRM...
>
> Could you please provide a little more explanation regarding how this can
> be
> done, using just the one SBS 2003 box?
>
> Basically, I'm looking for a high-level / conceptual step-by-step to
> making
> this happen.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Boolean1
> Boolean1@comcast.net
>
> =======================
>

> you can use virtualpc or even install a simple two server setup where one
> server functions as a domain controller in a new forest (is disconnected
> from your companies domain entirely) then add a second server to that new
> domain. Users connecting to it from your production domain will get a
> login
> prompt for their domain\username but that is not mich of an issue.
>
> You can even use SBS 2003 to give the same result using one server.

0
Thiemo

create a roster

A self Instruction Book On Excel 2003
I am trying to find a text book on excel 2003 that will show me how to use Excel and give me the data to put into the spread sheet. Some of the features I am looking for are, Amortization, Creating Macros and The function and Chart Wizard. If you could please include an ISBN# to locate the text to get me started on Excel 2003. John List of books at Debra Dalgleish's site. Some have CD's attached http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlbooks.html Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:57:23 -0700, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to find ...

Outlook 2003 Calendar *from* office *to* home
Hi, I have MS Outlook 2003 on a Win XP pro OS, synchronized to a corporate calendar via Oracle Connector, and I would like to do this (apparently) simple thing: Syncronize events FROM corporate calendar to my local calendar DO NOT Syncronize events FROM my local calendar to corporate calendar. In Outlook I just see a send/receive option, not just send and just receive separate option. Any hint is welcome Stefano ...

this is a test subject line
a test I say ...

Exchange 2000/2003 Public Folder item Permissions Problem
Hi all, I've been having an issue with Public Folder permissions for some time now. The folder contains contacts for all company employees (most of which aren't on the company network), and is maintained by HR. Brief history is: Had Exchange 2000 on Win Server 2000, and a previous administrator modified public folder permissions on the M drive in explorer (a no-no). This resulted in the ESM "Invalid window handle" error. Managed fix these by following KB 270905 (permissions nuke), and deleting and re-creating the public folder. The latter was a problem, as most users were ...

Task Create - Status

IMF and Outlook 2003 in POP3 mode
My server gets all email via SMTP and IMF is working great, in OWA and Outlook 2003 Native Exchange mode junk mail goes to the junk folder and users can add exceptions for "junk" they want to receive etc. I'm wondering about my remote users who use Outlook 2003 in POP3 mode to grab their email (since RPC proxy works pretty lousy, can't wait til that is tweaked!). The email in their junk email folder is not downloaded to Outlook, and they have to log into OWA to see it. 1. Should/can Outlook 2003 download these junk messages via POP3? 2. If so, can they be moved to the j...

Subir esquema de AD 2003 a 2008
Hola grupo, Tengo un forest con dos dominios 2003, el padre y el hijo. De momento no queremos migrar los DCs a 2008, unicamente poder empezar a tener servidores miembro 2008 en el dominio hijo. Necesitaria que me indicarais que pasos he de realizar tanto en el forest, como en ambos dominios y que precauciones he de tener. Muchas Gracias Hello Marc, This newsgroup is in english, so please use english language or choose a spanish one. Thank you for understanding. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrantie...

Customizing CRM look and feel
Is there a way to 'brand' or otherwise give the CRM application the look and feel of our enterprise web site? I see multiple posts about using the CRM sytleguide to give CRM look and feel to custom pages, but I don't see anything about customizing CRM to take on a custom look and feel. It doesn't have to be wholesale changes to the UI, I'm just looking to at least slip in a logo and possibly a footer with a disclaimer/trademark kind of thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. SpencerW I would venture to say in the ISV.config file. You can buttons to the men...

Create external database

Business Logic Extensions to Microsoft CRM 1.2: Post-Callouts works only with the CRM
hi, i extendet my ms crm organisation with own written business logic. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crmpostcalloutsv1d2.asp so far so fine, but it works only with the crm-admin user account. all other users makes no impact on saving the organisation. any ideas? thx urb ...

Download Transaction Problem Money 2003 CDN
When I'm downloadig transaction from my banks webpage the date shown for the bank entry in MS Money is always one day behind. e.g. real transaction date is 16 but in money it's shown as 15. My banks says on their site everything is ok and that it's a setting in money. Also they never heard of this problem before. Any help? ...

How to create pie chart with %

IE CRM closes after login
Immediately after the login screen the browser dissapears. I have this problem on only 1 PC (windows XP & IE 6 SP1). After I completely reinstalled it, it worked for a while, but now it is doing it again. Please help! I cannot reinstall the everything on this PC every week.. We have seen browser problems when you have added tools into the browser like the google search bar etc make sure the browser is runnng with no addiitonal addins "Michael Szabo" <mihaisz@bondweb.com> wrote in message news:0b5301c3893c$32d94a10$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Immediately after the login ...

Outlook 2003, Receive error x80004005
My OS: Windows XP; all critical updates downloaded. Outlook 2003: using Pop3 server. using Symantec Corporate AntiVirus When I configure my mail settings and click the test button, the system tells me everything is okay. My email had worked fine for months. one day, I started receiving error code x80004005 and mail will not download into outlook. I've only found one article in the Microsoft Knowledge base that instructs me to turn off script blocking within Norton AntiVirus. It also suggests turning off new mail notification. Neither of those solutions works and I cannot fin...

when form created

Creating a Brochure

CRM Service Activity Outlook Calendar Sync Broken
Hi. All was fine until yesterday but now items on the Outlook calendar no longer appear to be tied to the service activities that created them. When I click on a calendar entry it opens an ordinary appointment view of what should be a service activity. Also, the "track in CRM" button seems to do nothing. A newly created service activity will appear on the calendar, but will exhibit the same characteristics described above. Any ideas on how to fix? I've considered reinstalling the CRM client for Outlook or possibly creating a new Outlook profile. Any thoughts would be...

Hot to shift Outlook 2003 to new machine
I've built a new box and want to start replicating my setop from my old machine. As I use Outlook 2003 heavily, how do I transfer everything messages, tasks, rules etc from the old to the new machine??? Your advice would be appreciated Scooter The Help Files have you covered. Only one error in them: do NOT copy you previous PST file to the default directory. Copy them anywhere else you want, but not there because you'll overwrite the PST file Outlook creates for itself: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx More information here: http://www.slips...

How to create Access macro shortcut