How to auto populate fields based on primary contact.

Hi,

I hope someone can help, i an new to MS CRM and am trying to workout how to
auto populate the primary contact job title, phone no and email based on the
primary contact, and to update them is the primary contact changes.

I have looked on the web and it appears i should be able to use a workflow,
OnChange event or field mappings to achieve this. Would someone be able to
tell me which would be the best option and some idea of how to do it.

Thanks

Richy81
0
Richy81 (1)
1/29/2008 1:59:01 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You need custom code to do it, either a callout (3.0)/plug-in (4.0) or an
OnChange event handler calling the web services.

Some resources:
Using CRM web services in client-side JavaScript:
http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JSWebService
Updating contact addresses when the parent account is modified:
http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=Callout1
Using ASP.NET to access data in CRM Form Events:
http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=AJAX1

--
Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP

Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2
Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx
Custom Lookup Dialog: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/?area=customLookup
The JavaScript Snippets Directory:
http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JS13

"Richy81" <Richy81@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> I hope someone can help, i an new to MS CRM and am trying to workout how
> auto populate the primary contact job title, phone no and email based on
> the
> primary contact, and to update them is the primary contact changes.
>
> I have looked on the web and it appears i should be able to use a
> workflow,
> OnChange event or field mappings to achieve this. Would someone be able to
> tell me which would be the best option and some idea of how to do it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Richy81

Auto balance feature
Ever since I installed Money 2005 Premium my auto balance feature doesnt work. I get an error messagen that states that "my information is being updated. Click OK wait a few minutes and try again" cNo matter how long I wait this continues to happen. What a piece of Crap. I contacted support and 2 days have passed and they still cant fix it. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!! I wouldn't be too worried about it, trusting auto balancing to balance an account, especially a bank checking account is risky, and I'd recommend against using it. It's disused a lot on here, take a ...

Auto entry on cell entry
into I have a column of cells I want to enter the current date everytime I click in the cell. How do I do this? Assume col. "B" is concerned and you will compromise with a double-Click - try the following Event-Macro typed into the sheets level: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Column = 2 Then Target = Date End Sub --------------- Micky "Tony" wrote: > into I have a column of cells I want to enter the current d...

Merging Contacts (3.0)
I did some extensive work with merging contacts yesterday and discovered something that I thought I'd throw on the table for discussion. When you merge two contacts, the suborniate contact ends up empty (no associated records) and is marked inactive. When you mark a contact inactive, you simply deactivate the record and leave the underlying data intact. When you examine contacts under an account, the resulting list shows Active and Inactive contacts. From this list you cannot differentiate Deactivated Contacts from Merged Contacts. Questions: 1. Why not delete merged contacts? Th...

Business Contact Mnager with Outlook 2007
Installed the 2007 professional which says Outlook and Business contact manager, but when I start outlook I do not see any reference or anyplace to start it or activate it I re ran setup to add features and also do not see any reference to BCM Anyway to correct this? Thanks Bill Did you look on the second CD? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Bill asked: | Installed the 2007 professional which says Out...

Auto reply to Sent Item after a specified time
Hi, I need to use some an auto reply on one account that will check specific Sent Items and their corresponding replies and send an email after x days if no reply has been received. For e.g. Joe Bloggs sends an email (with Voting Buttons). The recipient receives this email but does not reply. If after 10 days their is no reply received then a "chase email" is sent asking the user to action the email. I'm really not sure if this is possible but if it is I think it will need some scripting. The rule must work on only sent emails that haven't been replied to (i.e not Out ...

OWA & Contacts
I need to get a list of contacts that are in an account on the server exported to a csv (or some other importable) type of format. Is there a way to go directly from OWA to Excel, or what is the procedure for doing something like that? Thanks, BC Grant yourself rights, create a profile and log in with Outlook. Select the contacts folder, and then select File > Import & Export > Export to a file > Microsoft Excel > ... You might need your Office installation disk for it to work because it's an optional feature. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the w...

How to Delete Contacts Folder?
I am running Outlook2003 Beta, tech refresh 1 with all updates. When I click on the address book icon, I receive a message stating that the address book folder has moved. A pulldown provides me with options for an address book and two contacts lists. The first list is empty, the second contains all my contacts. How can I delete the empty contact list? I have looked under go, folders, and only the one contact list is represented. Please advise Remove the duplicate listing here: Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing directories or address books > Outlook Address...

Help!! can I recover lost contacts?
I just got a new windows smart phone. My celluar provider was assiting me to preform a sync. of all my contacts. There were no contacts on the phone I preformed the sync and when the sync. was over it wiped out all the comp. contacts in office contacts. The celluar provider said hmmm wonder what caused that. Anyways I think what happened is that the path the sync follows is phone (which was blank) to comp. back to phone. If this is the caseThis tech should of know better, but who am I to blame the only person's fault is mine ,I should of did a PST back up of thoes files....

Outlook 2003 and Business Contact Manager
Hi, I'm having a weird problem with Business Contact Manager (BCM), when I reboot Outlook start automatically, but BCM is not there, if I start Outlook manually then BCM is there Why is it that if Outlook start from the Startup folder at boot BCM won't load, but when it's been start manually BCM is loaded -- Thank you in Advance Merci a l'Avance Martin ...

memo field
I am building a simple database (Access 2003) to store various types of information from our 33 union contracts. I am putting together a table to hold excerpts out of each contract relating to a variety of subjects we want to capture. The language that I want to copy out of each contract is contained in WORD documents, however, different people have put these contracts together over time and each person seemed to have their own way of formatting so there is a variety of different formatting techniques involved (paragraphs, tabs, bullets, indentions, short tables, section titles, etc). ...

Pocket PC deletes From field
Hi, I've had this problem a lot and it's been happening a lot lately: Whenever I have to restore from a backup on my pocket pc, and then sync to Outlook XP, the From field on all of the messages they both shared goes blank. When I click on the message, the From information is still there, but it wont show me it in the browsing panel. Kind of annoying, and I can't find any way of stopping it or a fix. Thanks for any suggestions, -Bill ...

public folders / contacts
Using outlook 2003 and SBS 2003, Exchange2003 with latest SP. I created a public folder called 'shared contacts'. I marked the box in properties to 'show this folder as an email address list' When I make a new mail and hit 'To" Then use the 'show names from the' (list) The shared contacts in public folders is listed there.. But When I select that list, there are NO contacts in it at all... it shows blank... What could be the issue? Thanks ! Dumb question, but did you create any contacts in it with email = addresses yet?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook...

Some wat to change Outlook's importing rules for contacts?
When I import files to Outlook's contacts, the "File As" seems to default to the Name. This is fine when there is no Company, but when there is a Name and a Company I'd rather have the "File As" default to the Company. Is there any way to make this happen without (as I have been doing) manually going through the contacts and editing them? ...

Auto filling semi-monthly dates
How do I autofill semi-monthly dates into a column. (ie Jan 1 2000 thru Dec 2008) Thanks -- Lawdog If you want 1-Jan, 15-Jan,1-Feb, 15-Feb,... then enter this in A1 =1/1/2008 then this in A2 =IF(DAY(A1)=1,A1+14,DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,1)) and copy down till you get 31-Dec "Lawdog" wrote: > How do I autofill semi-monthly dates into a column. (ie Jan 1 2000 thru Dec > 2008) > > Thanks > -- > Lawdog Thanks -- Lawdog "Sheeloo" wrote: > If you want 1-Jan, 15-Jan,1-Feb, 15-Feb,... > then enter this in A1 > =1/1/2008 > then this in A2...

Auto acceptance of ICS
I'm running an exchange with several iphones connected that don'r have direct access to outlook via a pc. They do have access using outlook anywhere. My problem is we have a new appointment system that sends out invites for our client database, this includes details of the customer and appointment notes from any chosen mail client (outlook in my case) in the form of ICS. As we all know, the iPhone really messed up by not acceting ics attachemts so I need a work around. Is it possible to create any settings or rules to automatically accept an invite via ics and add it direct...

select based on count
Hi all I have a table UserName PrinterName PageCount Message criss HP 7 Printed criss Xerox 6 Printed criss menolta 5 printed bob hp 3 printed bob hp 4 Printed I wanted to get thouse users whos Pages count is greater than 10 here criss's page count is 18 (7+6+5) greater than 10 but bob has only printed 7 lesser than 10 how to write a query to get the details of the user who's Pagecount is greater than 10 -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-programming/200912/1 roma_victa via SQLMonster.com (u56444@uwe...

Contacts, Bloody Contacts
Hi all, I would like to create a contact record for each of our locations and have that record show up in the GAL. I would also like the email address that I supply for the contact record to resolve back to a distribution group that would include the manager and perhaps the store admin for that location. Problem. If I create a contact record with an Exchange email address, I cannot also create the distribution group, as there would be two of the same email addresses in Exchange. If I don't create an Exchange email address for the contact, the contact record does not show up in t...

Silly Question on Contacts
One of my users is complaining that the default 'Display As' field in Outlook 2003 is Full Name (email address) and that when he prints a distribution list it looks messy and replicates data. I'm probably going to have to write a script that will correct his existing addresses (he has over 5000), but I just wondered if there was a way to fine tune the Display As formatting? Many thanks for any help Simon M ...

How do I change 6 digit field, cols 1 thru 6 to one (1) blank?
How do I change a 6 digit field in columns 1 thru 6 to one (1) blank or null? It's an 80 character record with random 6 digit numbers in the first 6 positions that I need to delete and file is too big to do by hand. Any Ideas? thanks, Bentley Assuming that each record is a separate paragraph, a macro containing the following code will do it: Dim i As Long Dim frange As Range With ActiveDocument For i = 1 To .Paragraphs.Count Set frange = .Paragraphs(i).Range frange.End = frange.Start + 6 frange.Delete Next i End With Or usin...

For tickets, a bigger Notes field, please.
When working with tickets, under Details > Information > Notes and Article, the Notes field only uses half of the window (vertically). The bottom 2" of the window, under the Show Article check box, is unused. I have to scroll the unnecessarily-cramped Notes field almost every time I view a ticket. Please consider expanding the Notes field to the biggest size the window will permit. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the ...

Exported payee info appearing in memo field?
Whenever I download information from one particular bank the payee field is not filled in and the memo field has the payee information in it. Meaning I have to go through every transaction and assign it the correct payee. It is only an issue with one of my banks, and happens in both Money 2003 and 2004. The bank, of course, is saying no one else has this problem, and that I should contact Money tech support. Does this sound familier to anyone and is there a fix that I can do? Thank you so much! In microsoft.public.money, Delia wrote: >Whenever I download information from one part...

Auto Calculation
We use Excel 2003 a lot on our server. Recently we have started to find speadsheets with auto calcualtion switched to manual. My questions are how can this option be switched on i.e. does it come from a template. Is there an easy way to find all occurrances of spreadsheets with this indicator swtched to manual. Finally, anyway of overriding the manual indicator so that automatic calculation so it is always switched on... many thanks for your assistance with this... Peter -- Mahprr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Mahprr's Profile: http://www.ex...

CRM Contact Information on Account Screen
Is ther any way to show, on the General tab of the Accounts form, contact information about the primary contact? I would like to show the Title, Phone, Email, etc, without making the user click on the contacts name and open a new window. Thanks in advance. There's no easy way that won't break your upgrade to the next version. You'll see better support for these types of customizations in v2.0 - Alex ----------- "Paul McBride" <pmcbride@comcast.net> wrote in message news:u26yxLSiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is ther any way to show, on the General tab ...

Strip email attachments based on sender
Due to virus problems, our IT group would like to strip all attachments from emails, unless the email was sent by a member of our domain. Is there a way to do this via group policy or scripting? Or any other method, for that matter. We are running Exchange 2003 SP1, and our clients use Outlook 2003. Thanks in advance. You could do this, but it would require some custom programming. You could do this via an SMTP event sink. Another way to accomplish this would be to put in a front-end SMTP gateway / virus scanning system that would do this. Of course, you would have to find one that s...

Data base size discrepancy
I have two identical data bases; the same two tables, the same 28 fields per record, the same number (1675875) of records, the same queries and all the data is numerical (double). However, one data base is 530MB and the other is 1808MB! The second one takes much longer to load as well. I can find no reason for this. Can anyone suggest things I might take a look at? see other response -- Dorian "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they eat for a lifetime". "Susan L" wrote: > I have two identical data bases; the ...