how do people manage activities?

Hello,

I have a stupid question that I would like to hear people's opinion on.  How
do organizations let workers know about things assigned to them?  Say I want
to assign a case task (I own the case) to a co-worker for help.  How does
the co-worker know the task has been assigned to them (let's say they're at
customer sites a lot)?  Do people generally just have to refresh their
'Assigned' queue to see if new things have been assigned to them?  Or look
at their 'Activities' list?  That seems a bit cumbersome.  Email seems to be
the de-facto standard for communication, yet I see no easy way to let people
know that something has been assigned to them.

I tried playing around with a workflow rule for tasks (on assign) to send
the owner an email, but that only works if you create a task, save it, then
assign it.  It does not run if, when creating the task, you set the other
person as the owner.  I don't want to create a rule for create, since I
don't want to send an email every time I create a task where I am the owner.
'Created By' isn't available in the list of attributes in conditions, so you
can't do something like Task.Owner <> Task.CreatedBy.  Perhaps this can all
be done in the sdk, but that's another thing...  The other problem with this
approach is you have to duplicate this workflow for every type of activity:
task, phoneCall, letter, etc.  In any case, this all seems like a lot of
work for pretty basic functionality.

Anyway, I would appreciate people's thoughts on how you manage this.  I'm
sure I'm just missing something simple and would appreciate any guidance.

Thank you!
Jon

0
Jon
4/14/2006 2:05:43 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

------=_NextPart_0001_6130213B

Hi Jon~

You should be able to do this using workflow. Just creat a new rule that
will send a new e-mail when using oncreate. Once you have this rule in
place and activated anytime a new lead, account, opportunity, etc is
created the workflow will start and send an e-mail to the corresponding
owner of the new record.

Also, you are correct that users will need to refresh their assigned queue
in order to see any new activiites assigned to them. If the activity is an
e-mail this will also show up in the users Outlook inbox.

Let me know of any other questions.

Regards,

Shawn Nulph | Microsoft Dynamics | Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Microsoft Online Partner Support

PLEASE NOTE:  The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with
break/fix issues and simple how to questions.
�
We also love to hear your product feedback! Let us know what you think by
posting from the web interface: Partner Feedback om your newsreader:
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.

We look forward to hearing from you!
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
You assume all risk for your use. � 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.
------=_NextPart_0001_6130213B

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Hi Jon~
\par
\par You should be able to do this using workflow. Just creat a new rule that will send a new e-mail when using oncreate. Once you have this rule in place and activated anytime a new lead, account, opportunity, etc is created the workflow will start and send an e-mail to the corresponding owner of the new record.
\par
\par Also, you are correct that users will need to refresh their assigned queue in order to see any new activiites assigned to them. If the activity is an e-mail this will also show up in the users Outlook inbox.
\par
\par Let me know of any other questions.
\par
\par Regards,
\par
\par Shawn Nulph | Microsoft Dynamics | Microsoft Dynamics CRM
\par
\par Microsoft Online Partner Support
\par
\par PLEASE NOTE:  The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with break/fix issues and simple how to questions.
\par \~
\par We also love to hear your product feedback! Let us know what you think by posting from the web interface: Partner Feedback om your newsreader:  microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.
\par
\par We look forward to hearing from you!
\par When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
\par This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. \'a9 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_6130213B--

0
snulph

simple workflow wont activate
Hi, i've started experimenting with workflows, but results are not inspiring The question/problem, my workflow wont activate : I'm using a Dutch version of CRM i'll translate steps as accurate as possible I create a simple workflow: Entity : Task (Name: TEST) (Description: TEST) Entity : Task When a task is being made: if: Task.Priority = High then: Phone Call: thelephone End if: Wait 5 minutes after task is made So, when i create a activity task, and select priority high (save it) then the logical owner should get an activivity (phone call), this task ends 5 minutes after...

Integration Manager Internal Error in TTGErrors
When running Integration Manager I get an error that says, " Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface; Number 430" Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application, applied MDAC 2.8. We are still getting the error. Any ideas? Hi When you uninstalled IM did you do a reboot? Also did you delete the IM folder as well (after the IM installation).When reinstalling select a additional destination adaptor as well. Regards James "Tremor Olaes" <TremorOlaes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2266A3CC-9874-48CB-A554...

active synch issues
hello all I am running exchagne 2003 sp1 on windows 2003, in a 2003 AD domain. If i setup my smart phone (motorolla mpx2200 with windows mobile 2003 second addition) to synch every 5 minutes i can succesfully synch up emails from exchange, but if i setup active synch to sycn when new items arive, then it does not work. I have gone through making the necessary regisry changes on the server to per 841995, 873291 and 822176. I can see events 11324 and 10310, and if in message tracking on the server i can see that a message was sent out to phone#@mycingular.net Not sure why its still not...

Expand Collapse Forms API or Active X?
Dear All Windows XP Pro Access 2003 Pro SP3 I am looking for an API or active X that can I use in a Form, where I can expand - Collapse, use icons and enter description of each item This URL shows some samples that my client wants in his form http://www.jedikeeper.com/rebelscum0000/windows_screen.htm I did a search at Google and I found several Active X most or them for .NET http://www.windowscontrols.com/treeocx.html http://www.ssware.com/fldrview.htm They are very expensive, my client I am sure he will not paid for these Active X, and I sure I am not going to need for further databas...

Active Directory/Exchange mailbox
Does anyone have any infofmation on why I can creat a new user in Active directory on Exchange, and during the creation I get asked if I want to create an email account, I indicate yes I do, and then when everything is all said and done... An email exchange account for that user is never created. I've gone into sytem manager of exchange and view the existing email accounts and nothing ever gets created for a new user. I am puzzled seeing that I never had this issue with Exchange 2000 We are running an Exchange 2003 platform Any help would be great!! <anonymous@discussions.m...

Change the default setting of the filter on the history\activ tab
Change the default setting of the filter on the history or activity tab. Double click any account in database, the activity & history tabs are located on left. Filter- defaults to 30 days ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Bu...

American Management
American Management Microsoft and Apple decided to have a programming contest. Both teams burned the midnight oil planning their strategies. Loaded with caffeine for peak performance on the big day, Microsoft programmers were so fast they finished their task while the Apple programmers were still unpacking their briefcases. Afterward, the Apple programming team became very discouraged and morally depressed. Apple management decided the reason for the crushing defeat had to be found. A "Management Team" made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend...

crystal configuration manager shows no server...
hi, since all the crystal services are running (i can see them from services screen), i could not see any crystal servers in the crystal configuration manager list. all servers are enabled and i can see any errors about them. what can the reason be? regards, orkun ...

Excel instance in Task Manager
I created instance of the Excel.Application as following On Error Resume Next Set objExcel = GetObject (,"Excel.Application") If err.number > 0 then CreateObject("Excel.Application") End if But the problem is that on closing of my VB application, I m terminating the excel instance as follow Set objExcel = Nothing But despite closure of the VB application, the excel instance remains in the Task Manager. After if I open any other work from Explorer or from my VB Application, the workbook dont become visible. Any suggestions... -------------------------------------...

Store Operation Manager(password)
Can anyone please help me on how to reset my password in Store Operations Manager? I used to change the password every two weeks and i forgot!! Thanks in advance. SOM | Database | Cashiers | Highlight the user you want to change | Click Properties button on right side. You will see password info top right under Cashier properties. Marc "John B." <John B.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86020315-BCE6-4808-A12B-991DA7981DF3@microsoft.com... > Can anyone please help me on how to reset my password in Store Operations > Manager? I used to change the pa...

Mailbox Management
Hi I have created a Recipiant Policy - Mailbox Management with the filter mail=user@domain.com an When starting the Mailbox management process and its done I can see that 4 other mailboxes are also running this policy. In the log I can see that these mailboxes are using 'Default Policy' and then all folders are listed The Default Policy is used to create addresses for new users and the Mailbox Management is not marked Any ideas about this Hello Stefan I dont even fully understand you question, how many policies do you have and what are they intented to do ... what 4 other mailboxes ...

How to generate a tax detail report of Receivable Management modul
I am using RM in Canada, and we have GST, PST setup in Dynamics 10. How possible to generate a custom report to show the amount of GST and PST per invoice transaction? If it can not do this way, can I pull the data from SQL database table? If I can, what table involved? I am using SQL 2005. -- Kane ...

CRM 4 and Active Voice outlook client
I have a client using an Outlook voicemail player from Active Voice, which allows a user to open a voicemail like an email and play a message. Since the CRM 4 Outlook client has been installed, when the user opens their voice mail the player will not work, unless they disable the CRM client. Has anyone had experience or found a work around for this case? The app plug in is View Mail for Microsoft Messaging "ilibhart" wrote: > I have a client using an Outlook voicemail player from Active Voice, which > allows a user to open a voicemail like an email and play a message...

View Active/Inactive Item by Store at HQ Database
Is there anyway to view Active/Inactive Item Listing of each store at Hq Level? i look into ItemDynamic table but there is no Inactive Field No. The list should be identical at all stores. If it's not, here's how to make it so: Issue a WS250 for ALL ITEMS. Then issue another WS250 with a Filter of Inactive = YES. That should make the inactive list at the stores the same as the inactive list at HQ--which is how it should be. Tom -- Stop fishing for e-mail "MJay" wrote: > Is there anyway to view Active/Inactive Item Listing of each store at Hq Level? > i lo...

Portfolio manager view
My portfolio manager view is small..in that I mean I can't view all my holding without using scroll bars. All I can see is the name of the holding and if I want any info, I have to use the scroll bars. In microsoft.public.money, froompy wrote: >My portfolio manager view is small..in that I mean I can't view all my >holding without using scroll bars. All I can see is the name of the holding >and if I want any info, I have to use the scroll bars. Expand the window. Reduce the size of the Name field by dragging the edge of the column header. I mean that the window that ...

Migrating activities to Existing Accounts
Hi Could someone verify the possibility of using the CDF to import data as Activities and relating them to Accounts?.. From a post someone mentioned it wasnt possible.. although when I logged a similar scenario (Contact import instead of activities).. Support mentioned that I just need to populate the cdf tables of account specifically destinationID with the GUID of the existing record and MSCRM. The activities would then be migrated normally while the Accounts wont.. Verification needed.. Thanks =) "Mark Anthony" <MarkAnthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Workflow Manager 08-11-04
Guys, How can I run the Workflow manage on my client machine. (I'd rather not run it on my CRM production system.) Any ideas ? Tony This is correct, you can only it on a crm server. It is misleading that it asks you which server you want to connect to but if you were using multiple web servers you would need to choose which one to use etc. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Community/CRMFaqLanding.aspx "M" <M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A4497E-34AA-40F6-8E99-23B3D2BCC1B3@microsoft.com... > As...

Unable to open the reporting Services manager in CRM 4.0
I'm trying to go to my reporting Services Report Manager by typing http://mycrmserver/reports. The problem is that It doesn't open the Services Report manager. rebooted the CRM server a couple of times but no success. Anyone here has any idea what the reason for that could be? Many thanks. Eric, Check the path in IIS, perhaps it's http://servername/reportserver Peter Gernburd "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46E39D50-ED59-4219-B442-15ABF154CAF2@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to go to my reporting Services Report Manager by t...

Track e-mails to active cases
We track relevant e-mails to cases but the case-list contains everything, also the resolved cases. This means the list is getting extremely long and it's getting difficult to find the actual case. How do I make CRM show only the active cases? what is the default view ? Have u changed default view to active case only? /Aamir When we open Cases in Outlook we have default view Active Cases, yes, but when we track e-mails, the list contains all cases, also the resolved ones. There is no option on views then. BG "Aamir" wrote: > what is the default view ? Have ...

Adding extra status code to Activity
How can I add an additional status code to task? Through the customization tool the status code attribute is disabled! Thanks for your help ...

Insert pictures from picture manager to excel
With Office 2003 you can't drop pictures from the picture manager to excel. Are there any options to do this by patches and not by other graphic programms? Open Excel, Insert - Picture - from file. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Matthias S." <MatthiasS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:913B787E-01B5-4934-8C87-60B9F2E6EE6A@microsoft.com... > With Office 2003 you can't drop pictures from the picture manager to > excel. > Are there any options to d...

Lost ability to open (activate) Excel files from Explorer, Outlook
I have lost the ability to open Excel files by clicking on their icon from within programs apart from Excel. eg if I click on an Excel file icon from Explorer or Outlook, then Excel starts but the file I wanted does not open. If I use Excel to open the file there are no problems. Henny Try the usual fix(es) for this problem. Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. ...

Data Migration Manager: Salesforce.com
Hi The MS CRM 4.0 Data Migration Manager has a pre-loaded data map for Salesforce.com but it just won't work out of the box... After 2.5 days 'trying' (and fixing things like Field Lengths that are too short (Ntext) even when this new attribute is created with DMM) I'm getting very frustrated... Does anyone know what the following upload error message means? "An error has occurred. Please see the log file for more information." "Generic SQL error." -- Thanks Ziggy geez , do any of the DM Maps actually work???!!!! I did a SF to MSCRM 3.0 migration...

Payables Management query
Hi everybody - can somebody tell me which table holds the invoice information for payables management. I have to make a query that show which checks paid for which invoices and I have to include the invoice description as well. Thanks!! PM10000 - PM Transaction WORK File PM20000 - PM Transaction OPEN File PM30200 - PM Paid Transaction History File Hope this helps, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com Michael, I have posted code for a SQL view that may already have everything you need except the invoice descrip...

Changing Status on Service Activity
hi I am using service activity to schedule services. I have set up a service called training and set the Show Time As field to reserved. What i want to now do is setup a workflow which says if the current time is greater than the scheduled time change the status to completed and generate an order. Can someone please advice me how to go about this,. Kind Regards Ridhima ...