Go Offline Specifications

Hi there!

I am trying to find a document referring to different scenarios of working
offline and their specifications (bytes transfered, estimated time of
synchronization, connection types etc).
Can you help me? Propose a Microsoft or external source for this?

Thanks in advance.

Elena

0
SiEBEN
6/22/2004 11:53:21 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I have not seen any document discussing this. Most offline docs talk about
what is needed to do it rather than drill into details.

Microsoft always recommends you do your initial Go Offline in outlook while
connected to the comapny network. We have found that as long as your remote
location has a fast connection you should have no problems. Note that the
initial go offline can take a long time. Sometimes it can take an hour,
other times it could take 2,3,5 hours.

When you go offline for the first time the system will pull down ALL data
you have access to. this may take some time however subsequent syncs will be
much faster as the onl data that goes back and forward are the delta's or
the changes.

So in summary..

Time for initial sync - at least 1 hour and normally 2. Can take longer.
later syncs...my experience show me it takes a matter of seconds or minutes
at the most

"SiEBEN Innovative Solutions" <newsgroup@sieben.gr> wrote in message
> Hi there!
>
> I am trying to find a document referring to different scenarios of working
> offline and their specifications (bytes transfered, estimated time of
> synchronization, connection types etc).
> Can you help me? Propose a Microsoft or external source for this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Elena

0
John
6/27/2004 7:15:40 PM
Thanks John,
You have been very helpful. In my case the problem is that remote users have
to see all organization info, regardless of the BU, so it takes longer...But
even if I leave the relevant checkbox unchecked, it still takes about an
hour to re-sync with an ISDN dial up connection....

Elena

"John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in
message news:%23gVAksHXEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I have not seen any document discussing this. Most offline docs talk about
> what is needed to do it rather than drill into details.
>
> Microsoft always recommends you do your initial Go Offline in outlook
while
> connected to the comapny network. We have found that as long as your
remote
> location has a fast connection you should have no problems. Note that the
> initial go offline can take a long time. Sometimes it can take an hour,
> other times it could take 2,3,5 hours.
>
> When you go offline for the first time the system will pull down ALL data
> you have access to. this may take some time however subsequent syncs will
be
> much faster as the onl data that goes back and forward are the delta's or
> the changes.
>
> So in summary..
>
> Time for initial sync - at least 1 hour and normally 2. Can take longer.
> later syncs...my experience show me it takes a matter of seconds or
minutes
> at the most
>
> "SiEBEN Innovative Solutions" <newsgroup@sieben.gr> wrote in message
> > Hi there!
> >
> > I am trying to find a document referring to different scenarios of
working
> > offline and their specifications (bytes transfered, estimated time of
> > synchronization, connection types etc).
> > Can you help me? Propose a Microsoft or external source for this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Elena

0
SiEBEN
6/28/2004 7:43:05 AM
Yes you need to prepare users that it can take litereally hours for the
initial sync. It also appears that CRM sucks down all the data to the client
then prepares the database.

> Thanks John,
> You have been very helpful. In my case the problem is that remote users
have
> to see all organization info, regardless of the BU, so it takes
longer...But
> even if I leave the relevant checkbox unchecked, it still takes about an
> hour to re-sync with an ISDN dial up connection....
>
> Elena
>
> "John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in
> message news:%23gVAksHXEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > I have not seen any document discussing this. Most offline docs talk
about
> > what is needed to do it rather than drill into details.
> >
> > Microsoft always recommends you do your initial Go Offline in outlook
> while
> > connected to the comapny network. We have found that as long as your
> remote
> > location has a fast connection you should have no problems. Note that
the
> > initial go offline can take a long time. Sometimes it can take an hour,
> > other times it could take 2,3,5 hours.
> >
> > When you go offline for the first time the system will pull down ALL
data
> > you have access to. this may take some time however subsequent syncs
will
> be
> > much faster as the onl data that goes back and forward are the delta's
or
> > the changes.
> >
> > So in summary..
> >
> > Time for initial sync - at least 1 hour and normally 2. Can take longer.
> > later syncs...my experience show me it takes a matter of seconds or
> minutes
> > at the most
> >
> > "SiEBEN Innovative Solutions" <newsgroup@sieben.gr> wrote in message
> > > Hi there!
> > >
> > > I am trying to find a document referring to different scenarios of
> working
> > > offline and their specifications (bytes transfered, estimated time of
> > > synchronization, connection types etc).
> > > Can you help me? Propose a Microsoft or external source for this?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Elena

0
John

Where Do Messages Go??
If there isn't a kink in my program and it's behaving as it should, I hope someone can answer my questions. Messages disappear. Example: I e-mailed a friend, who e-mailed me back. When I answered that response, I could find no trace of it in "sent mail" or anywhere else, and the item in my inbox maintained its appearance as unread mail. If I click "mark read" it disappears altogether. I've lost several messages this way. Also I seem to be unable to drag a message from one folder to another. It gets lost in the transporter, never to be seen agai...

Where do the Archives Go?
I cannot find the information Outlook claims to have archived for me. Yes I know how to display the archived calendar, but it's blank. Any ideas? Thanks! I use XP, and Office 2007. "6Sigma 5s No Clue" <6Sigma5sNoClue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B239B721-DCF1-4337-947D-B325D4BF0E4A@microsoft.com... >I cannot find the information Outlook claims to have archived for me. Yes I > know how to display the archived calendar, but it's blank. Any ideas? > Thanks! > > I use XP, and Office 2007. Why do you think Outook is arch...

Price/cost fields need to be able to go beyond 5 decimals.
When we receive product it comes in $ per metric ton, which we convert to $ per lb.. We sometimes receive product in millions of lbs. in one line item, when we convert from $/MT to lb./MT the limit of 5 decimal places in a currency field causes pretty lare rounding errors to occur in our extended cost. This causes our posted cost in GP to be different than what we actually pay our vendors. The ability to extend beyond 5 decimals in the currency field would solve the problem, but for now it is not possible in GP. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsof...

Multiple calendars, how to choose which one meetings go into
Hi I have 3 calendars setup in outlook XP , when someone sends me a meeting request how can i change which calendar the meeting goes into, at the moment they all go into what i guess is the default calendar which i want to change to a different one any ideas? thanks Chris You really can't change it. Outlook treats certain folders special. "Chris S" <fred@fred.com> wrote in message news:43cf7167$0$23294$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk... > Hi > > I have 3 calendars setup in outlook XP , when someone sends me a meeting > request how can i change which calend...

Go to page
I have a long document and need to go the certain pages without having to scroll down. How do I go to a particular page? Thanks This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0040_01CAEE07.56832EE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Press Ctrl+G to open the GoTo dialog, and enter the page number. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "richard" <rmk@wo...

Connect via modem when Outlook is offline does not work Outlook 2002
Hi, I have recently discovered a problem with Outlook 2002. When I am connected to a network I would like to be able to send and receive automatically. When I am not connected to the network I would like the Dial-up dialog to pop up when I click send/receive. This worked in Outlook 2000 but when I upgraded to Outlook 2002. All my settings appear correct. This was the same in the original installation and after updating to SP3. I have also made sure that IE6 is not in offline mode. I have each email account set to Connect via modem when Outlook is offline - as I have for IE6. When I click Sen...

Here we go again
Well, once again CashEdge is not connecting/syncing with Money and MSN Money. I guess I won't run right out to buy Money 2007. Even if the software were an improvement over M06, it cannot be any better than the weakest link in the sync chain. A known problem, David -- and not unique to the version of Money. Look at http://moneycentral.msn.com/common/networkstatus.asp -- Michael Gordon MVP "David Haynes" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:eNopg0UzGHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Well, once again CashEdge is not connecting/syncing with Money and MSN ...

If Public Folders are going away..
What would be the best/simplest solution for a user requesting a group calendar to be used within Outlook. Ordinarily i would advise them to create a calendar within the Public Folders hierarchy and then assign access rights to anyone who needs it. I understand though that Public Folders will be history with the next release of Exchange. The only thing i can think of is to create a new mailbox, share the calendar, and then walk users through adding it to their Outlook folder list. I suspect this isn't the best way though. Any recommendations out there? All clients are running ...

specification sheet
Hello, I am a homebuilder and I am using excel to specify options for each of my contractors (ie plumbers, electricians, carpeters etc...) I would like to create a specification sheet for each home listing all the options the customer selected through either drop down boxes or radio buttons or regular cells. The catch is i would like only the selected options to copy over to the contractor start order. For example, if the customer chose electrical options 1,3,5,7 and 9, I would like only those options to show up on the electrical contractor's start order. also, if there are any expert...

Offline Sync
Outlook 2002 is setup with offline mailbox but now when the user connects to the network, the offline mailbox will not ync automatically ? Client: Outlook 2002 sp2 Server: Exchange 2000 (Not integrated with ADS.) ...

Not all emails going out??
For the last week or so, send few, my emails have not been going out, or not going out to all parties I access from my address book. Just tested by sending one to myself...went fine. Sent second to a single party and cc myself. Did not receive my cc in outlook, but it did show up in my iphone. Tried a third to a group of people...through a single address book contact, and nothing happened. I am strictkly novice, but have not had this problem before. Any ideas??? -- Thanx! Wilson Kobel;110315 Wrote: > For the last week or so, send few, my emails have not been going...

Pivot Table
Hi all. I have a question that seems like it would have an easy solution, but several hours of searching through the message boards hasn't solved it yet - so here it is: I have a pivot table which is updated monthly from a database. I use this pivot table to create a report based on the totals and subtotals. One of the subtotals is based on a product ID, from which there are thousands of possible options. The table itself typically looks like: A B C D Group Type ID Count MC D 123 12 MC D 124 15 MC N 167 2 MC N 198 9 SW D 109 3 SW N 108 5 SW N 105 9 So that the pivot table looks lik...

Multiple Contacts Folders: can I sync them so I can go back to use
I got the bright idea of making 2 more Contacts folders so that I could be better organized. I decided not to use the old Contacts folder and instead was putting changes in the two news one, which would be used for different purposes. The reason I came up with this is so that I could get around using categories (temporarily) because a lot of them disappeared for some unknown reason. Any, now the problem is that in order for me to set up Contacts to be tracked in the Journal, I have to use the Contacts folder I initially had (the default folder), and Windows Mobile (for my Motorola Q)...

If stmt
I would like to create an 'if' statement which includes the condition if the statement is true, then 'go to' a new location. Is this possible??? How about a worksheet function: =IF(A1="asdf",HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet 1'!A4),"go1"), HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet 2'!C9),"go2")) (One cell) (I used two sheet names with spaces--just to show the apostrophes.) You may want to modify the cell's style to be hyperlink. (Format|Cells|Style) MM wrote: >...

Computer does not go into hibernation
In Power Options I enabled hibernation and asked the computer to go into = hibernation after 30 minutes. Well, it doesn't.=20 The complete settings are as follows: Turn off monitor: after 5 min. Turn off hard disks: after 15 minutes. System standby: after 25 minutes. System hibernates: after 30 minutes. What may be the reason of the computer not going into hibernation? TIA Humpty Usually something running in the background. Are you running a virus program that starts when the computer is idle? "Humpty Dumpty" <sorry@antispam.net> wrote in messa...

How do I make a cell date specific to input a value on a specific.
How do I make a cell date specific to input a value or formula on a specific date? ...

Where do emails go?
When I send an email, it goes to the Outbox, then gets sent, but after that it doesn't show in the Sent box. Is there an option where to put sent messages? Thanks Scott G'Day Scott, Tools>Options Email Options (button) Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder (check box) -- Regards, Pat Garard Australia ______________________________________ ...

going to hyperlink closes workbook
Can someone help with this problem? When I click on weblink in excel, I go to the website, but the workbook closes. This does not happen if I have unsaved changes in the workbook. Thanks in advance. Bill I believe that this was a bug in xl97--are you using xl97? If I recall correctly, the workaround was to change a cell (to make excel think the workbook is dirty). (or upgrade???) billb wrote: > > Can someone help with this problem? When I click on weblink in excel, I go > to the website, but the workbook closes. This does not happen if I have > unsaved changes in the w...

Attachments go multiple times
Outlook 2002 SP3 Win XP DSL connection When sending attachments the status pane shows "task 1 of 1" and there is a progress bar. When the progress bar reaches 100%, the status then goes to "task 2 of 2" with the progress bar starting again. This generally repeats itself several times before the message finally moves to the Sent Items folder. In the meantime, the recipient has received several copies of the message. Anyone know what is happening here, and how to stop it? Cheers, ...

Bills & Deposits won't go away
I have used money for years with great happiness - until now. I am using Money 2004 Standard AU version. I have a recurring bill that I have deleted from my bills and deposits section, but it will not dissapear from the home page. It is causing massive speed problems everytime I use the bills and deposits section or do any cash flow projections. It no longer appears on my budgets, cash flows or bills and deposits list, but sits on the home page all the time. Now the last 3 instances of this bill are all sitting there. I have attempted to export all my transactions to another file and...

Autocomplete pop-up won't go away
I cannot make the annoying "do you want to enable Autocomplete" pop-up in IE7 go away. I am using XP Pro btw. Whenever I type something in the Search box (upper right corner of IE7) I get the annoying pop-up. I have Googled for the fix, have checked and set all settigns in IE Options/Advanced, etc...and even looked in TweakUI as well as tweaking my registry according to this site: http://www.internetfixes.com/question_and_answer/IF00345.htm Set IE Options / Autocomplete unticked everything, set History to 0 Days, nada. the pop-up remains. If I click NO when it comes...

Windows Cannot go to standby
Hi All, I want to write an application to find out why my system can not go to standby/hibernate mode (What device driver not support Power Management or What device driver cause the OS cannot go to standby/hibernate). Is there an API or Event Log I can read it from. Is there a PMTShutdown.EXE for windows XP or 2000 Thanks in advance Toi Day ...

Sub Form specific values
My Objective: User enters data in a field on a form. The form has a subform. When data is entered, only 2 choices appear on the combo box, on the subform. And the user cannot close the form unless one is picked. Here is what I have so far, but I'm stick on the last line, etc. If Me.TR_ACKNOWLTR <> " " Then If MsgBox("You pick from combo box. Continue? ", vbQuestion & vbYesNo, "Question") = vbYes Then Me!f_CaseLog!CA_NAME = "AG" or "AL" (Need only AG or AL to appear in combo box) (Need to not allow form to be closed until one ...

Cash Flow No Go
Hi, Thanks for taking time to review my question. I'm using (just installed for the first time) MS Money 2004 Premium. 1. I setup all of my reoccurring bills and deposits from my employer as well. 2. I created a budget that balances out fine according to my income and outgo, yet Cash Flow shows that the sum of flow will gradually go farther and farther into the red every month. How can this be, especially when I have enough left over to save every month. Or, is it that the Cash Flow is independant, and I have to tell it that everything is going to be alright? Again, I've already s...

SQL for specific pattern of output?
The following example is a simplification to make my question less complicated. I have a database of 3 people: Brown, Jones, and Smith. Each person in the DB has 2 fields associated with their name field: Field “A” and “B”. The values in A and B are either 0 or 1. The following SQL string extracts a query as shown below. SELECT tblPeople.LName,tblPeople.A,tblPeople.B FROM tblPeople Brown 1 0 Jones 1 1 Smith 0 0 But the IT department wants the data as follows: Brown A 1 Brown B 0 Jones A 1 Jones B 1 Smith A 0 Smith B 0 Is...