floppy disk drive (A)

I'm not sure if I'm in the right group but I have a
problem with my disc drive.  My CD drive works OK but my
floppy DIsk (A) drive does not.  I can put the disk in
and the light comes on a second then goes off.  Nothing
happens.  The flip door on the front is stuck up inside
the drive itself.  What should I do?  I have the easy
access midtower front panel on a gateway computer.  It's
a Pentium III tower.  I hope someone can help or at least
guide me in the right direction.  Thanks

0
Becky
8/9/2003 1:09:11 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

something hogging disk space
I run a VMware setup with Vista (64-bit) Home Premium as the Host system, and Vista (32-bit) Home Premium as the guest system. Although I have only 16 GB devoted to the guest system, at one point recently I was only using not quite half of that space. Now, when I click on Computer, I am finding that there is literally no free space. If I delete some software, this freed up space gets consumed also. How do I go about finding what it is that is clogging this allocated space? The only changes that I have made to the guest system is the addition of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware sof...

Just installed new hard drive
I just installed a new hard drive and used the drive's utility program to copy everything from my old drive to the new one. Now Outlook isn't going out to my ISP's server and getting my new messages, and when I send a message I get the "no transport provider available" error. (My connection's just fine.) I looked online for some help. One recommendation was to delete the Personal Folder and create a new one. I did that, but then all the messages I had disappeared and it freaked me out so I didn't want to mess with anything else. How can I make it work ...

Comcast is driving me nuts!
I finally have my own login on my home computer, and I have Office XP. I want to move all of my Comcast e-mail and my contacts to Outlook (I have been doing it all online). Comcast's "help" section doesn't tell me how to copy/transfer/import my already read mail to Outlook. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you. -Michelle You'll have to dig around their site to see if they have an export function. I'd try it myself but I'm a Cablevision customer. Nice to see other NJ people around here :-) "jerseygirl" <jerseygirl@discussions.microsof...

Disk already full?
I was trying to save a .pub file to a floppy. Okay floppy only holds 1.4 MB and the .pub file is 11.3 MB according to the Properties under the File. But why don't I get option place more floppies into drive? Is this typical? Must I use CD? Thanks for information. Susan No, you do not get the option of having your file extend across multiple floppies. Yes, that is typical. Yes, you must use a CD. The only other option you have is to zip the file with WinZip and then you would have the opprtunity to have the file on multiple floppies. But please think about that - do you REALLY want to...

M drive error msg
Can not get OWA to run. WhenI open up IIS and check on the default website, fo rthe public and Exchange folder, it lists the path "M:\domain name\Public Folders and M:\domain name \MBX". But the status of these two state "Teh device is not connected". What does this mean and how do I troubleshoot this problem? Jim in Cleveland wrote: > Can not get OWA to run. WhenI open up IIS and check on the default > website, fo rthe public and Exchange folder, it lists the path > "M:\domain name\Public Folders and M:\domain name \MBX". But the > status of...

no floppy drive
I have a lap top with no floppy drive. I've been trying to figure how to back up M Money to CD with no luck. Any help? In microsoft.public.money, Judi wrote: >I have a lap top with no floppy drive. I've been trying >to figure how to back up M Money to CD with no luck. Any >help? You can back up to a hard disk, and then burn that .mbf file onto your CDR with the software that came with your drive. With Windows XP, you can back up to the "hard disk" that corresponds to your CD/R drive. Browse to the drive from "My Computer". That will put the fi...

Powering Down Data Drive
A computer has two drives, C: and D:. Is it possible with XP SP3 to cause the data drive (D:) to power down independently of Drive C: when it has not been accessed in a while? I thought I did this once, but I am unable to retrace my steps. The power saving option :"Turn off hard disks" is a global setting & would apply to both the C: & D:, with no independent control for each. "mcp6453" <mcp6453@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23U1Wyq5bKHA.4780@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >A computer has two drives, C: and D:. Is it possible with XP SP3 to cause...

Restore backup file from floppy disk
Got the virus and had to restore disk. I have Money 2002 OEM Standard Version. I have a backup floppy. I tried restore file procedure several times. I tried to open file from pull down menu, but the software presents the backup dialogue box asking if I want to record the file to floppy, and round and round we go. How do I bring the data into the completely empty Money 2002? Do I have to recreate all the Accounts before the data will be absorbed by Money? Thanks. Steve ...

1.5 Terabyte SATA drive super slow
I just bought a new 1.5 Terabyte drive for my machine and the performance just crashed. It is a "Western Digital Caviar Green" ( Manufacturer part# "WD15EARS" ) Accourding to specs. it's a 7200 rpm SATA with 64 k cache. Just wondering if any other people have noticed issues with this or similar drives. Or are large drives just slow? I was used to using a 130 GB 15k RPM SAS drive before. Is the performance difference so drastic between SAS and SATA? Or large versus small drives. Or 7200 rpm versus 15k RPM. Another mistake I might have done is th...

i need help retrieving an excel file from a floppy
I saved an excel file to a floppy that appears to be on the disk but cannot be retrieved. It may have been read only protected in its original location but does not appear to be read only now on the floppy. The error message indicates that it may be read only though. Help. Those 5 1/4" floppies can be tricky. Kidding, of course. Can you copy the file to your hard drive? It will be easier to work from the hard drive if you have to repair the file, for instance. ...

drive for installing IE8
I am currently using Windows XP SP3 IE6 and need to upgrade to IE8. Will I be given a choice of which drive I want to install IE8 on? I'm running out of space on my C: drive and would like to put it on another drive. baglady <baglady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am currently using Windows XP SP3 IE6 and need to upgrade to IE8. Will I > be given a choice of which drive I want to install IE8 on? I'm running out > of space on my C: drive and would like to put it on another drive. No, you will not be given a choice. IE8 will be installed as a part...

Restoring Backups From Floppies
How do I restore a Money backup file that has been split between multiple floppies on my new computer that doesn't have a floppy drive? I tried to restore from both a USB and hard drive to which I copied the split files but Money 07 won't accept them as they are split. In the meantime I was able to do a Quicken convert to M07 but it lacks some of the info I liked with the previous Money file. Thanks -- Les A98 Les- I don't have the answer to your question 'cause I hate floppies but read on for a way of avoiding the situation in the future. When you decide on a versi...

Disk Check 07-08-10
Cannot complete Disk Check from my computer > C: > properties > tools > check disk > scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. Please help ! -- TM On 07/08/2010 04:14 AM, Tagametre wrote: > Cannot complete Disk Check from my computer> C:> properties> tools> > check disk> scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. Please help ! can't run it on a mounted file system schedule it to run on reboot from the command line chkdsk /f ...

New computer-Vista. Have 2002 Publisher but can't download floppy.
Computer crashed. Got new one w/ Vista. Can't download my Publisher because it's in a floppy format. -- Duke Duke wrote: > Computer crashed. Got new one w/ Vista. Can't download my Publisher because > it's in a floppy format. Publisher 2002 never came on floppies. The last version of Publisher to come on floppies was 97, I think. Publisher 2002 and later work out-of-the-box with Vista. Older versions need some fiddling. And floppy versions need a floppy drive. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org From another perspective - Do you mean yo...

Office Mac 2008. Want to reformat computer & save Office, but lost the disk.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I want to reformat my computer. I currently have Office for Mac 2008 installed. But before I reformat, i want to know if there is a way for me to reinstall Office (once the reformat is completed) without the disks (I lost them in a move). <br> Is there a copy of all the serial numbers and product keys saved somewhere in the Office directories? And is there a place for me to download the program and use my serials? Or is there a way to save a copy of the programs before I start my reformat? On 4/24/10 8:58 A...

backup to floppy
Can't seem to back up to a floppy. 2003 version seems to think my zip drive is still the 3 1/2 floppy from my old computer. I can't change, and it doesn't give my any other options. ...

Re-installed Windows, wrong drive letter
I had to re-install Server 2003 yesterday because of a bad drive. Two drives, drive0 and drive1, one for the OS and the other for data. I inherited this, that is not the way I would have done it. I installed to drive0, which is the correct drive. But after finishing the install I noticed that the new drive is now drive letter E:, the data drive (drive1) is C: and the CD drive is D: So I need to re-install this. I chose drive0. How can I prevent this from doing the same thing, and naming drive0 drive letter E:, instead of C: Thanks. On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 08:46:59 -0400,...

lost key #how do I put it on my notebook now, no cd drive
I have student 2007 but have lost my key # plus I have no cd drive. Can I transfer a file from computer on ubs stick and then place it on my notebook. |Or do I have to buy it off the net again grrrr. If you have the product installed on a PC, you can use Belarc Advisor (a free download) to extract the key. If you have the installation files on that PC, you can copy them to a USB flash drive and install from that, or you can create an ad hoc network with the aid of a crossover cable and install via the network. If you don't have the installation files you can download again a...

How can I save a file to a floppy disc?
I am trying to save a file to a floppy disc. Can't find a way. Help!! Saving files directly to removable media can cause trouble. You'd be better served to save to your harddrive/lan drive and then use windows explorer to copy to that floppy. genelean wrote: > > I am trying to save a file to a floppy disc. Can't find a way. Help!! -- Dave Peterson You can through VBA save directly to a floppy but................... You should not save directly to a floppy. You will eventually wind up with a corrupted file. Save to Hard Drive first then copy to the floppy. Same goe...

eject, remove USB, flash or other drives
Is there a way we can remove this devices from powershell? -- Michael Soza Estudiante Ingenier�a Civil Inform�tica Universidad de Concepci�n ...

Backing up to USB removable Drive part 2
Hi all, As per suggested on this forum I upgraded to Money Deluxe 2006. I did this as a new install and kept my Money 2002 program as well on the same computer. Unfortunately upgrading to 2006 did not solve the problem. The problem is that even though I have gigabytes of free space on my USB memory stick the Money program will tell me to put in "Disk 2" to finish backing up to the drive. Every thing is set correctly. Money is pointed to the correct drive it just "thinks" is a floppy drive or something. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Chris ...

floppy disk
Is there anyway to recover info from a corrupted floppy? Iam using windows xp and this morning I had an important file on my floppy but it says that it is corrupted. I have tried it on several machines. The file is an excel file. .. Hi one golden rule: NEVER use an Excel file directly from a floppy disk. ALWAYS copy it first to your harddisk. This is the most common reason for corrupted files For your problem: You may download OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org). It's a 60MB download but OO seems to be able to recover corrupted Excel files better than Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel ...

HP Recovery Disk Problem
Im having this computer problem where Once I turn on my computer it stays on the HP icon on start off and just restarts the computer and continues until i unplug or shut down. So I got my HP recovery disk and put it in because I had this problem before but the second I press F10 it just continues to say please wait and it freezes. What do I do so that I can use the disk to get my computer back? I need this computer for college and I cant afford another. -- 2DChew ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 2DChew's Profile: http://forums.techar...

DPM 2007 encrypt storage disks?
I have a 2008 R2 Enterprise server that I'm using as a Hyper-V server. I am going to protect it with DPM 2007. On the production server, I am using BitLocker to encrypt the various disks, including the disks the VHDs are stored on. If someone steals my server, they should find the data inaccessible. However, if I backup the VM's to disk, and someone steals my backup server, are the backups on disk also encrypted / inaccessible? If not, is there a way that I can encrypt them? thank you Thank you for reaching newsgroup for giving the feedback for your scenar...

FS: money deluxe 2005 (disk says deluxe, package says standard) $10 incl shipping to usa-48
I have money 2005 that I decided not to use. I un-installed from my pc and am selling to whomever wants it, including shipping. $10 takes it if you're in the usa-48 and want slow/cheap shipping. If you're somewhere else or want it fast, let me know. paypal is fine for payment. ...