Editing views on the activites page

I have stumbled upon the ability to edit views for activities by using the
viewmanger.aspx page and changing the object type code to the code for
activities (134).

I have made these changes and have published them using deployment manager
in a test environment, and they seem to be working great.

The question I have is why did Microsoft hide these pages. It is possible to
edit other objects (leads, opportunities, accounts, ect.) by just using the
standard interface. It seems like the may not be showing these pages for a
reason, but I have no idea why.

If anyone has any input on this it would be extremely helpful, where as I am
nervous to implement these changes on the live application without more info
on why these are not in the original interface.

-- Thanks for your help, in advance
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hey there,

The reasons that "feature" is undocumented is because "Activity
Customization" was not a supported feature in v1.x.  The reality though is
that many (not all) aspects of Activities are built on the same technology
that makes our standard entities customizable. (Which explains why this
works).

Where you will run into trouble is during upgrade.  Since our v1.x to v2.x
upgrade logic assumes that Activities (Views, Forms, Etc.) would be static
(and not modified by users) any changes like you are suggesting could break
the upgrade process.  In the best case, our upgrade would just stomp on your
changes and the rest of the system will behave correctly.  In the worst
case, some customization you do will break our upgrade and leave your system
in an "unexpected" state.  This of course would be an unsupportable scenario
and you could be on your own.

That being said, if your changes are limited to just a View and you do
something simple (like add a column)... I would predict that upgrade will
run smoothly, in fact any changes we make to those Views should just be
merged with yours.  I of course can NOT make any promises or guarantees, as
this is completely unsupported.

Your best bet would be to backup the existing View, make your changes, use
the system.  When Microsoft CRM 2005 ships, I would REVERT your changes, run
the upgrade, and then use our Tools to re-apply your changes.  This will
then be possible be cause in Microsoft CRM 2005, we are allowing full
customization of Activities including the Forms, Views and Previews.

Aaron Elder
Microsoft Customer Relationship Management
Core Application Development Team

"Sequenzia" <Sequenzia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have stumbled upon the ability to edit views for activities by using the
> viewmanger.aspx page and changing the object type code to the code for
> activities (134).
>
> I have made these changes and have published them using deployment manager
> in a test environment, and they seem to be working great.
>
> The question I have is why did Microsoft hide these pages. It is possible
> edit other objects (leads, opportunities, accounts, ect.) by just using
> the
> standard interface. It seems like the may not be showing these pages for a
> reason, but I have no idea why.
>
> If anyone has any input on this it would be extremely helpful, where as I
> am
> nervous to implement these changes on the live application without more
> info
> on why these are not in the original interface.
>
> -- Thanks for your help, in advance

0
Aaron
8/27/2004 8:37:14 PM
Interesting spot - well done.

I can't speak for MS, but I have some experience with other vendors who are
loathe to allow anyone to customize interfaces surrounding Activities.  I am
guessing that this is because they are afraid that someone will "break" a
critical part - because activities are such an integral part of a CRM
system.

Stephen

"Sequenzia" <Sequenzia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have stumbled upon the ability to edit views for activities by using the
> viewmanger.aspx page and changing the object type code to the code for
> activities (134).
>
> I have made these changes and have published them using deployment manager
> in a test environment, and they seem to be working great.
>
> The question I have is why did Microsoft hide these pages. It is possible
> edit other objects (leads, opportunities, accounts, ect.) by just using
> the
> standard interface. It seems like the may not be showing these pages for a
> reason, but I have no idea why.
>
> If anyone has any input on this it would be extremely helpful, where as I
> am
> nervous to implement these changes on the live application without more
> info
> on why these are not in the original interface.
>
> -- Thanks for your help, in advance

0
Stephen

view applied?
What does the following WLM beta message mean? View applied not connected to imap4.xxxxxx.co.uk I had already clicked on this account and a couple of emails were downloaded. ...

Run-time error 2001 & cannot open form in design view
After saving some design changes on a fairly complex form I am now getting run time error 2001 and the form will not open. It will not open in design view either. I had only added a label and changed some formatting before saving the design change. This has happened before on this same form and I retrieved the old version from my back up. Has anybody else experienced this? Is there possibly a limit to how many sub-forms can be on a form that may be causing this? Ernie, I'm having the same problem with a main form that contains 10 tabbed subforms. I'm able to open ...

Print first page to different printer from the others
Using Word 2003 - is it possible to print page 1 of a document automatically to a different printer from the other pages? I know it is easy to send to a different tray within the same printer, but that wouldn't work for us - we need to send page 1 to printer A and all other pages to printer B. Of course I also realise it is possible to select just page 1 and send it to A and then go back into File/Print and select the other pages and send them to B. But we want to make this automatic, if we can. Many thanks CW Answered in your similar earlier thread. -- <>>...

Viewing Pictures
Is there a way to get Outlook 2002 to imbed a picture attachment into the document instead of having to open it? Outlook Express automatically shows the picture in the mail message, Outlook stores it as an attachment that must be opened. Any way to change this setting? Outlook can only display images "inline" if the sender used HTML or Rich Text format for the message and embedded the image into the body. If the image was sent as an attachment, you will always receive it as an attachment. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably...

editting auto recovery

BOM & Edit List

Macro not found when spreadsheet viewed in Internet Explorer?
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that contains macros. When opened from disk, they run find. When opened from our Extranet (and viewed in Internet Explorer), I get an error popup saying that the "The macro {macroname} cannot be found." Has anyone heard of this? Is it a known problem? I found a post on Google Groups that sounds like it might be something similar. Something about Excel not liking the URL's parms, but I'm not sure and it wasn't conclusive. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, :)Ben http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.programming/b...

page frame
where find tool page fame i publisher? thank you If you are asking about website frames....Publisher doesn't do frames. You can manually insert an iFrame with insert HTML. If you're asking about on paper...look for help on borders. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "ahmed" <ahmed @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE9F993C-C262-4432-8480-0582812F42B9@microsoft.com... > where find tool page fame i publisher? > thank you ahmed wrote: > where find tool page fame i publisher? If...

Customization of CRM Activities List Page...
Hi, I want to display the creation date time column on Activities List page in MS CRM. I didnot find any customization available for Sub links like Activities, Notes........... Also if some one can tell how to change the Status of an Activity. Regards, BizWorld activity views are not customizable in this release. Same story with activities in general. Expect this to change in a later release of crm -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "BizWorld" <moonis.tahir@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1114122380.225434.54140@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Editing
Hi! Could you please tell me how to remove a linked transaction within the budget planner. For example, I have a double entry under the debt category. ...

Headers starting on page without using section breaks
Is it possible to have headers starting on page 3 without using section breaks? The document is within a program (SIMS .net) where section breaks can cause tags not to work. You can use a conditional field in the header eg. {IF {Page} > 2 "Put your header here"} -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<&g...

editing a drop down #2
that's not one of my choices. -- kateweb ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kateweb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16301 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=276931 what do you mean by this .. is it greyed out on the toolbar or shows "any value"? if you'ld like to tell me where you downloaded it from i can go have a look at it cheers JulieD "kateweb" <kateweb.1fictb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:kateweb.1fictb@excelfor...

Macro to edit details
Hi, i am currently trying to create a macro regarding editing staf details on a worksheet....... therefore i recorded a macro and named it editstafflist, i highlighte my headings...and then went to 'data > form' and then had to close th form and then stop my macro. It wouldnt allow me to stop my macr whilst the dialogue box was open. Anyways after stopping the macro drew out a button and assigned this 'editstafflist' macro to it. saved my sheet and then clicked on the button, but a error '1004' kep occuring, can anyone please help me on this as i am rather stuck ...

Grant view only access to all users calendars
Is there any way with exchange 2003 to grant all users read only access to everyone else's calendars. Apperently this was configured on the old 5.5 server that we migrated the users from but it no longer works under exchange 2003. I could get all users to grant access individually but I would prefer if there was a centralized way of doing this. Any ideas. Permissions on just calendars (individual folders) cannot be set from the Exchange server - it must be set at the client level. Perhaps you had read permissions set to the entire mailbox on the old server? If not, you might wan...

How do I multiply an entire page of formulas by one multiplier?
I have multiple worksheets with different formulas in each cell. i want to take all cells on the worksheet and multiply them by a single multiplier. Each answer would vary as each cell has a different formula. Is this possible? Thanks! Put the multiplier in a cell. Edit/Copy that cell. Then select the cells to be modified, and Edit/Paste Special and select the Formulas and Multiply options. On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:39:02 -0700, "Jami" <Jami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have multiple worksheets with different formulas in each cell. i want to >take all cells...

how do I view tasks which were dismissed
I accidentally dismissed a task. How can I recall it, or at least view it to see if it is still valid? "Freema" wrote: > I accidentally dismissed a task. How can I recall it, or at least view it to > see if it is still valid? Two ways: 1 - Click on TASKS then on the tool bar change your preference from Simple List, Detailed List, etc to Completed Tasks. Uncheck the one you want or double click and change status from Completed to In Progress 2 - Click on TASKS. Then click on OPTIONS then Advanced Find. Put in the subject name of your task and then sel...

OWA front page
HI There, I've noticed on my OWA login page that it goes straight to a windows username and password login box and not to the OWA page with the blue background. How do you make the front page for OWA go to this page isntead of just a username and password box? Hope this make sense. and thanks in advance. will Enable forms based authentication mate http://www.petri.co.il/configuring_forms_based_authentication_in_exchange_2003.htm Oliver "will gerrish" <willgerrish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88AD4DEA-E21D-48A5-9399-EBFBE05E0D48@microsoft.c...

view full screen
I have no idea to write a windows program that would not display caption and menu. Can anybody help or provide me some idea ? Thanks and regards ng Take a look at following example in MSDN: Adding a Full Screen Feature to an MFC Application (Search for FSCRN.Exe) -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "ckng" <chapkuan.ng@dhl.com> wrote in message news:14ca01c38898$3c924010$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have no idea to write a windows program that would not > display caption and menu. Can anybody help or provide me > some idea ? > > Thanks and regards &...

Setting caret in edit control & activating it.
Hello Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an edit control ? Nicholas Take a look at the CEdit::SetSel() member function. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Nicholas Kingsley" <nickk@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message news:3f9d418a$0$106$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net... > Hello > > Does anyone have any example code for setting and enabling the caret in an > edit control ? > > Nicholas > > If you are asking how to create & use your own caret in an edit control then check...

Data collection Form Edit
We have a form which will be used almost daily, for data collection, based on a query. During the test we found a typo in one of the field labels where a brief description is included. Is there some way to edit the form? (recreating it with all the custom lables is just too long a task). Another issue on this topic, every time the form is sent, the messge reverts to the default "Please fill out the form and retunr it to me". Can this default message be changed? Nothing in the help functions. Any advice, or deirection to a learning resource will be appreciated. Thanks is adva...

"Windows PowerShell Cookbook" by Lee Holmes second edition draft available for viewing and comments
O'Reilly Books has made the working text of the PS V2 second edition of Lee Holmes' "Windows PowerShell Cookbook" available for viewing and comments at http://powershell.labs.oreilly.com/ - Larry In message <exi7SKRyKHA.2552@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Larry__Weiss <lfw@airmail.net> writes >O'Reilly Books has made the working text of the PS V2 second edition >of Lee Holmes' "Windows PowerShell Cookbook" available for viewing and >comments at > > http://powershell.labs.oreilly.com/ > > - Larry > Aw...