Detect username or user attributes with client script.

Is there a piece of code I can use on the client side that will either:
A. detect the users security role or an attribute of the user
or
B. detect the users username

I'm looking to make certain fields read-only based on the user. We have
about 5 users that should not have access to change half of the fields under
cases. I want to be able to do the following in the onload event:

If username = Bob, field 1.readonly = true

or

If UserAttribute = Foo, Field1.readonly = true
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You and me both. From what I understand, this data cannot be exposed
through the JScript methods currently supported in 3.0... I have posted
this same question in other discussion groups and received replies that
involve coding outside of the client side scripting (well above my
head, too.) If you do hear that this is possible, post here. I would
love to know...

--Michael

Matt M wrote:
> Is there a piece of code I can use on the client side that will either:
> A. detect the users security role or an attribute of the user
> or
> B. detect the users username
>
> I'm looking to make certain fields read-only based on the user. We have
> about 5 users that should not have access to change half of the fields under
> cases. I want to be able to do the following in the onload event:
>
> If username = Bob, field 1.readonly = true
>
> or
>
> If UserAttribute = Foo, Field1.readonly = true

0
MDoddio
5/2/2006 7:12:20 PM
This is a limitation of web developement not just CRM.
Lets say you have a client browsing your crm (of any website for that
matter) half way accross the world over a normal internet connection (no VPN
or such). If you would like to know the groups a user is a member of on the
server (server's domain) since this is where the authentication happens. The
server would need to expose part of its security protocols over the internet,
no a good thing to do now a days.

However there is a solution to this problem specifically for CRM. I dont
remeber which but there is a company selling CRM components and extension who
have a product which will allow you to set which fields are shown to which
users. This using a web interface intergrated into crm. They do post on this
group occasionally just have a look arround.
--
Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD)
Lead Developer

"MDoddio@gmail.com" wrote:

> You and me both. From what I understand, this data cannot be exposed
> through the JScript methods currently supported in 3.0... I have posted
> this same question in other discussion groups and received replies that
> involve coding outside of the client side scripting (well above my
> head, too.) If you do hear that this is possible, post here. I would
> love to know...
>
> --Michael
>
> Matt M wrote:
> > Is there a piece of code I can use on the client side that will either:
> > A. detect the users security role or an attribute of the user
> > or
> > B. detect the users username
> >
> > I'm looking to make certain fields read-only based on the user. We have
> > about 5 users that should not have access to change half of the fields under
> > cases. I want to be able to do the following in the onload event:
> >
> > If username = Bob, field 1.readonly = true
> >
> > or
> >
> > If UserAttribute = Foo, Field1.readonly = true

MultiWorkbook Change Event Detection / Spell Checker
Excel 2003 or 2007. Looking to be able to force spell checking whenever any cell content is is changed. I've been successful on a single workbooks by adding Spell Check execution on Worksheet_Change. I'm hoping to take this one step further - make it an 'Add-In' so the check will run for any workbook. It looks like the Worksheet_Change event only triggers for the host workbook so an 'Add-in' will not do the job. Any suggestions to force spell checking on a change for any workbook/worksheet I modifiy? TIA, - Pat The way I would go about this i...

Moving users from SBS2000 to Exchnage 2007
Hi, Am I correct in thinking, the only way to move users from a standalone SBS2000 server to another domain (running EX2007) is to export each mailbox as a PST, then import? Thanks! At this point yes, that is the only way (other than 3rd party migration tools). As far as I know the Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003 Feature Pack won't work with 2007, and the Idenity Lifecycle manager 2007 won't have a free "Feature Pack" to allow this either. On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:27:44 +0100, "Sparks" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote: >Hi, > >Am I corre...

How to detect changes in a column?
If I have a table with sales forecast data (columns) like Customer, Amount and Status, what would be the best way to track changes in this table so I can compare my forecast week after week? -- inomata ------------------------------------------------------------------------ inomata's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18938 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493571 ...

two users on one computer
I have Windows 7 and use Outlook 2003. I really want to separate my husbands emails from mine, so I created a new email account for him. How can I have his emails sent to a different location within Outlook? You need to create his personal username in Windows 7 so that he can manage his own emails and documents; and you can manage your own emails and documents. If you don't know how to create his own username then I suggest post your query here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/threads hth "karen" <karen@discussions.micro...

Reset User Password
How do you reset a user's password in GP 10.0? Jessica, Log in as 'sa' or DYNSA and go to Microsoft Dynamics GP > Tools > Setup > System > User. Lookup the user ID in question and: 1) Replace the password in the window with say for example, password 2) In the Advanced SQL Server options, chose Enforce Password Policy, and select Change Password Next Login. Once the user change their password, you can go back into this window and disable the Enforce Password Policy option for that particular user. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Globa...

Copy Paste from Word to Excel in Lao script
I have a strange problem in Office 2004 using Lao script. I have an excel file with a table with Lao script on it, but when I tried to copy / paste the table into Word all the Lao letters 'Noo Nok' just didn't copy over like they were never there. I tried to fix using different Lao fonts etc but always the same result. I did find however that I could paste words with the Noo Nok letter into text edit and then copy and paste that into Word. While this did fix the problem it is extremely slow as you can't paste tables into text edit so I had to do word by word. Why would the l...

detect and repair
my outlook 2002 had some hyperlink problems which were corrected when i used the 'detect and repair' option in help. now i have lost my addresses and all the e-mail that was in my inbox. How do i recover these items? Check this page for all you need to know: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Mark Conner" <mdconner@prodigy.net> wrote ...

Protection in Excel
I need to protect a workbook that will hide some of the information from several users but will show this information to other users. it is very urgent Michael, Try something like this: Sub Password() Message = "Enter Password" Title = "Restricted User Mode" DefaultPassword = "********" ReturnedPassword = UCase(InputBox(Message, Title, DefaultPassword)) If ReturnedPassword <> "MyPassword" Then Exit Sub Else 'Unprotect your ranges etc End If End Sub On;y the prople who know "Mypassword...

Rule is always "Client only"
Outlook 2003 + XP + Exchange I have been able to create quite a few rules that are server-side, but now, each time I create a new rule, Outlook tells me it is "Client only" even though the folder I am moving the messages to is on the Exchange server, not in my personal folders. Any idea why Outlook thinks this is a Client only rule? -- Cedric http://beust.com/weblog Client or Server rules are determined by the actions in the rule, not necessarily the folder location. See http://www.slipstick.com/rules/serverbased.htm for more information. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Au...

Auto Populate a Combo Box based on the user selection of another Combo Box
I have a form that has 3 Combo Boxes; 1) Personnel Number, 2) First Name, 3) Last Name. The Row Source for each Combo Box is "tblPersonnel_Number", and each Combo Box is assigned to their respective Control Source by name. When the user selects their Personnel Number I'd like the First Name, and Last Name to populate automatically. I found out how to do this by using "=Personnel_Number.column(2)" for First Name, and "=Personnel_Number.column(3) " for Last Name, but when I close the form it saves the Personnel Number into "tblPersonnel_Number" ...

User Defined Field in Sales Work File (RM10301)
I am looking for a user defined field in RM10301 for both Sales Documents and Credit Memos. We are already using Purchase Order and Transaction description columns for other information. I wish Microsoft provided user defined fields for flexibilty. I found the field called Document Number Check (DCNUMCHK). This column can also be searched via SmartList. But this column is allowed only for Sales Documents. Does any one has any other suggestions? Thanks, Vishnu Vishnu, You're pretty much at the limit of the available text fields with PO Number and Description... If you were u...

Duplicate detection detecting inactive records?
Is there any way to configure duplicate detection to not look at inactive records? I can't find any way to set this on the rules. Thank you! ...

multi users
can you have multi users ? and how do you change the WL to not auto sign in? WLM does not support multiple "identities". You can set up multiple "accounts" (multiple email addresses) that will list separately down the left side of the WLM main menu (Tools - Accounts). If you require email privacy, you must setup separate user OS logons, such that when the PC is started, booted or locked, the user selects their specific logon account / password - then the email would be specific to that user and they would set up their own personal WLM accounts. You can...

Users received the email 4 times
Hi! When i send email to all of the recepients they received my mail 4 times, I'm using Microsoft Outlook 2003 and I can't understand why they received my email 4 times but in my sent items I only send it once. Why is that? Please advice and thanks in advanced Fireblade ...

How to Detect and prevent CD burn
HI, How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect the event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my file from CD burn. plz reply soon. regds vinay sheel vinays@aditi.com Vinay wrote: > HI, > How can i stop to CD burn of any file from my system to CD.How to detect the > event of CD burn and how can i stop CD burn.Basically i want to secure my > file from CD burn. You can restrict access to a file only to a certain users through NT/win200 access privileges. You can encrypt a file and therefore restrict access to a file on...

Customising CRM Outlook client labels
Within the CRM Outlook client are there any solutions (supported or not) to change the labels of the buttons on the CRM toolbar and change the label on the CRM drop-down menu and change the labels on the CRM navigation folders? ...

My Computer not detecting my external harddrive
I have a IDE hard drive with USB casing and connected to my USB port. The problem is the hard drive partitions are not shown up in My computer. But My Computer->Manage->Storage->Disk management shows the hard drive with 3 partitions and all the three are healthy.I know there are a few bad sectors. I am sure I have not made any changes in registry that prevents drives from being shown. Please help me. Do the partitions have drive letters assigned? karthikaravind wrote: > I have a IDE hard drive with USB casing and connected to my USB port. > The problem is the ha...

user files in exchange
How can I program exchange to delete "delete" folder contents after 5 days? How about the "sent" contents after 30 days? thanks, Raul Rego NJPIES rrego@njpies.org Hi Raul You dont mention what version of Exchange you have, but you can use the Mailbox Manager feature, here are some links that should help you out: Exchange 5.5 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305109 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/maintain/mailmg.mspx Exchange 2000 SP1 & Exchange 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278024 ...

hi, i am trying to add a user to Outlook..???
hi, i am trying to set up my email account in Outlook on POP3/STMP and am not having any luck - can anyone suggest what i may be doing wrong please. Ta.. Melissa Melissa, We need you to provide more information. What is the question or what are the errors you are experiencing. Also what version of Outlook Regards, Francine Otterson Prez, San Diego Outlook User Group MVP - Outlook "Melissa" wrote: > hi, i am trying to set up my email account in Outlook on POP3/STMP and am not > having any luck - can anyone suggest what i may be doing wrong please. Ta.. > Meliss...

client settings
All of our students use a mandatory profile. We have Exchange 5.5 for our intranet email. How can I set up the profile so whenever a student logs in and opens Outlook it will point to thier mailbox? thanks For outlook profiles have a look at http://www.slipstick.com/exs/olroam.htm it should give you some ideas for auto generating the outlook profile. Glen "Mr. Brunke" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:391401c4a62c$57fe9350$a501280a@phx.gbl... > All of our students use a mandatory profile. We have > Exchange 5.5 for our intranet email. How...

export/import users grant between pcs
hi i want to export users grant from one pc and import to other pc . users are many. how can i do please help me azam razavy wrote: > hi > i want to export users grant from one pc and import to other pc . users are > many. > how can i do > please help me Please wait more than an hour or so before reposting the same question. This is a newsgroup, not a chat room; any responses received within 24 hours are considered "immediate." Expecting anything sooner is simply unreasonable. -- Bruce Chambers Help us help you: http://www.catb....

Troubles with CRM client for Vista/Office 2007 german
Hi, I've tried to install the german CRM client on my Vista and Office 2007 Laptop. The install ends with the same error message like yours. You had posted this at the end of December´┐Ż, since 01/05/07 is there a new english download available. Is this a new version, are there any errors again? Thanks for your support! Bye Mirko EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com Hi, i'm having the same problem with the latest client (dl'd it today) Any workarounds ? EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

GUID is not detected by server .& cannot go offline...SFO.
why is the server not detecting the GUID attached to the subject line of email...what could be the problem... Also i am not able to go offline ..I get an error Domain canot be contacted or does not exist... Any sugestions... Thanks a million. ...

Calling a user-defined function?
In the below statement where I am calling user-defined function dbo.udf_calcbill_hotel, is that a legal select statement? I keep getting syntax errors and I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm attempting to call the function by passing in data from the other table that the function table is joined to. If this is wrong, is there another way to do this? Sorry I can't post all the table data. DECLARE @initfee money, @fee money, @billbase int, @folup tinyint SET @folup = NULL CREATE TABLE #bill_bldgs ( BldgSec_ID int, BldgSec_Units smallint NULL, FolUp ...

Outlook hangs upon startup for new user
I'm running Outlook from Office 2003 Professional on a W2K3 machine. I log on to the machine as the local Administrator, and then log on to Exchange using a domain account, and everything is fine. When I log on to the machine using the domain account and then run outlook (intending to log on to Exchange using the same domain account), Outlook hangs at the splash screen. - The domain accout IS a local administrator - There is no outcmd.dat file to rename for the domain user. I tried renaming the outcmd.dat file for the Administrator but that didn't help. Any ideas on what is happ...