CRM1.2 -> CRM3.0 on new server

Hello

We have CRM1.2 running fine on SBS2003 Premium. I want to do a fresh
installation of SBS2003 and install CRM3.0 from scratch (going to put
new drives in the server).

What is my best option for transferring the data from CRM1.2 to the new
CRM3.0 installation?

Thanks

Andrew
0
Andrew
3/27/2006 5:11:33 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

1. Redeploy v1.2 to the new server
2. Upgrade the new server to 3.0

Good luck.

Frank Lee
Workopia, Inc.
http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm

"Andrew Hussey" wrote:

> Hello
>
> We have CRM1.2 running fine on SBS2003 Premium. I want to do a fresh
> installation of SBS2003 and install CRM3.0 from scratch (going to put
> new drives in the server).
>
> What is my best option for transferring the data from CRM1.2 to the new
> CRM3.0 installation?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew

Frank

Thanks for the reply but that sounds like a lot of work and introduces
the opportunity for problems.

Is there no "export" and then "import" method of acheiving this?

Cheers

Andrew

Frank Lee wrote:
> 1. Redeploy v1.2 to the new server
> 2. Upgrade the new server to 3.0
>
> Good luck.
>
> Frank Lee
> Workopia, Inc.
> http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm
>
> "Andrew Hussey" wrote:
>

>>Hello
>>
>>We have CRM1.2 running fine on SBS2003 Premium. I want to do a fresh
>>installation of SBS2003 and install CRM3.0 from scratch (going to put
>>new drives in the server).
>>
>>What is my best option for transferring the data from CRM1.2 to the new
>>CRM3.0 installation?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Andrew

0
Andrew
3/28/2006 10:03:31 AM
Andrew

We had the same issue, except when we did the upgrade from 1.2 to 3.0 it
basically blew away our web server part of the existing 1.2 installation, at
which point nothing worked.  After countless hours on the phone with
microsoft, they gave us some information that was no where to be found in the
documentation.  What you need to do is detach your three  1.2 databases in
from your SQL server.  Back up the three CRM databases.  Do you fresh install
of SBS, installing SQL.  Then in SQL attach the CRM databases again.  Next go
into IIS and create a virtual directory named "microsoft CRM 1.2", it doesn't
actually have to point to anything just an empty directory, you need to do
this to trick the installer into thinking you are upgrading, when infact your
doing a clean install.  Next run the CRM 3.0 Installer and during the
database portion of the install point the installer at your SQL server, it
should find the databases.  Go through all the others setps in the install,
and you should see a note about "upgrading 1.2 databases to 3.0".

This should allow you to do your "upgrade" without actually installing 1.2
again.  Let me know if this helps.

"Andrew Hussey" wrote:

> Frank
>
> Thanks for the reply but that sounds like a lot of work and introduces
> the opportunity for problems.
>
> Is there no "export" and then "import" method of acheiving this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Andrew
>
> Frank Lee wrote:
> > 1. Redeploy v1.2 to the new server
> > 2. Upgrade the new server to 3.0
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Frank Lee
> > Workopia, Inc.
> > http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm
> >
> > "Andrew Hussey" wrote:
> >

> >>Hello
> >>
> >>We have CRM1.2 running fine on SBS2003 Premium. I want to do a fresh
> >>installation of SBS2003 and install CRM3.0 from scratch (going to put
> >>new drives in the server).
> >>
> >>What is my best option for transferring the data from CRM1.2 to the new
> >>CRM3.0 installation?
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >>
> >>Andrew

Frank

I'll give that a shot and will post any comments here. It certainly
sounds better than the alternatives - thanks!

Andrew

Tom wrote:
> Andrew
>
> We had the same issue, except when we did the upgrade from 1.2 to 3.0 it
> basically blew away our web server part of the existing 1.2 installation, at
> which point nothing worked.  After countless hours on the phone with
> microsoft, they gave us some information that was no where to be found in the
> documentation.  What you need to do is detach your three  1.2 databases in
> from your SQL server.  Back up the three CRM databases.  Do you fresh install
> of SBS, installing SQL.  Then in SQL attach the CRM databases again.  Next go
> into IIS and create a virtual directory named "microsoft CRM 1.2", it doesn't
> actually have to point to anything just an empty directory, you need to do
> this to trick the installer into thinking you are upgrading, when infact your
> doing a clean install.  Next run the CRM 3.0 Installer and during the
> database portion of the install point the installer at your SQL server, it
> should find the databases.  Go through all the others setps in the install,
> and you should see a note about "upgrading 1.2 databases to 3.0".
>
> This should allow you to do your "upgrade" without actually installing 1.2
> again.  Let me know if this helps.
>
> "Andrew Hussey" wrote:
>

>>Frank
>>
>>Thanks for the reply but that sounds like a lot of work and introduces
>>the opportunity for problems.
>>
>>Is there no "export" and then "import" method of acheiving this?
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Andrew
>>
>>Frank Lee wrote:
>>
>>>1. Redeploy v1.2 to the new server
>>>2. Upgrade the new server to 3.0
>>>
>>>Good luck.
>>>
>>>Frank Lee
>>>Workopia, Inc.
>>>http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm

0
Andrew
3/29/2006 5:52:46 PM
Just beware... AFAIK, this will not work if you are blowing away your
entire domain (which I presume you are doing when you blow away your
SBS server. This requires a redeployment (which isn't actually that
hard, there are tools available from the MS website to assist in the
process) This is because CRM (especially 1.2) was heavily tied to
Active Directory and it's users.

0
DerekH

adding a new mailbox
Exchange 5, Win 2000 SB. Adding a new mailbox, which I have done dozens of times. Let's say I want to add a mailbox for 'test'. No problem, I finish all profile and complete the email addtess as test@mydomain.org. I close and go back in to see if profile took. The email address is test2@mydomain.org. I go to email address tab and add test@mydomain.org and make it the default. Close and go back to the email addresses and test is still there, but it's not the default. Delete all and try again, same result. It inspect everyone's profile and no one has test as a...

MSEXTMZ #2
I ran the DST update on one company I do work for and I didn't have a problem. Now when 'i try to run it on a new company I get the following error when trying to run MSEXTMZ to extract users to run the grant full. HrProcessMailboxTable:Unable open mailbox table for server /o=Mithoff- Jacks/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/ cn=EXCHANGE. Error 0x80070005. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong? Does the account have the required permissions? The account that runs the tool needs Exchanve View Only Admin, and Full Mailbox Access + Send As (the latter t...

SQL Server 2005 SP2
Does anyone know if Dynamics v. 9 supports SQL 2005 SP 2? We're about to roll out 2005 SP1 to our testing, staging then prod environments and are wondering if we should just stay at SP1 or start at SP2? Any advantages/disadvantages? Thanks! I can only answer to 1 piece of SQL 2005 SP1 vs SP2 - Reporting Services. We were dismayed after installing SP 1 that we lost one of our favorite pieces of SRS 2005 functionality - Select All. From what I have seen, this will be added back into SP2. Obviously if you aren't using SRS this is a moot point, but there's my 2 cents. Nei...

Headings #2
I had messed around with my computer yesterday, pressed something, and now i cant see the options for font, bold, underline, etc. Can someone please help me get that back?? Thanks! View > Toolbars > make sure the "Formatting" toolbar is checked Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Dena B" wrote: > I had messed around with my computer yesterday, pressed something, and now i > cant see the options for font, bold, underline, etc. Can someone please help > me get that back?? Thanks! Good morning, Dena! Try this: click >View >Toolbars and make sure Formatt...

adding rows #2
How do I add rows without changing cell location in the formula. For example: The data for the formula is always located in cell B4 and if I add a row on top of B4, I want the formula to remain with B4. Right now, if I add a row, the cell in the formula goes down one row. Hope for help If I understand, you're adding a row higher than B4. This shifts B4 down, but you want the "new" B4 to be the data for the formula. If this is the case you could try this: =formula(OFFSET(A1,3,1,1,1)) That is, as long as you don't add a new top row. ...

Outlook and newsreader #2
Will there be any work on using just outlook for all of your needs, i.e. a newsreader. Granted, I am enjoying the outlook 2003, much better, quicker, easier, but just asking. BTW, I am using outlook express as my newsreader. berto no, news won't be added to outlook - at least not by Microsoft. newsgator (www.newsgator.com) can put news in outlook (read, no posting) and they will soon (it's in beta) have an addin that allows you to post to news. I posted a couple of messages yesterday using the beta with newsgator - it shows promise. :) they are easy to spot - part of the header...

GP 9.0 and SQL 2005 Service Packs
Hello: The system requirements on PartnerSource that reference GP 9.0 state that only service pack 1 or 2 for SQL 2005 be installed. The latest service pack for SQL 2005 is 3. Granted, these system requirements were likely published before the release of SQL service pack 3. But, does anyone know if there are any issues with the latest service pack for SQL 2005 being applied in a GP 9.0 environment? Or, is it best to go with what the system requirements state, even though those requirements may not have recently been updated? The only clients that I have worked with th...

setting up new outlook mail account

cannot send attachments #2
I also suddenly cannot send attachments - probably about 3 weeks now - my ISP says it is an Outlook problem. Anyone know what is oging on? What version of Outlook, including the number? TOOLS | HELP | ABOUT MICROSOFT OUTLOOK Have you updated lately? Do you get any errors or messages? -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "klk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:044701c3975f$ccc8b9e0$a401280a@phx.gbl... I also suddenly cannot send attachments - probably about 3 weeks now - my ISP says it is an Outlook problem. Anyone know what is oging on? ...

layout help-creating 2 pages on 8 1/2 x 11 paper for booklet
I am new to Publisher, so bear with me.... I am trying to create a booklet using 8 1/2 x 11 paper in positioned in landscape position. I would like to get 2 pages on one piece of paper, but with the text in a portrait position, if that makes sense. Can anyone guide me? Thanks. -- Lauren When you setup your publication as a booklet, the pages are presented in the correct order automatically. The half pages will be portrait. Have you tried to setup a booklet? If you have, what problems are you experiencing? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.or...

After Send/Receive is initiated, "new messages" appears but no new
After send/receive is initiated, "new messages preceded by a number appears in lower right but there are no new messages in any of the folders. Please advise. Also, mail rules have disappeared. Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with Windows Mail over time. =20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "PedalrsInn" <PedalrsInn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:2C662A30-FC48-4A2E-B74E-F70552E00217@microsoft.com... > After send/receive is initiated,...

email fonts #2
Dear all Why do some of the emails I receive come over in Courier? And when I reply I can't change the font. I am on Outlook 2007. EGB Are you receiving then sending email in plain text mode ? kev "egb" <egb@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message news:OqK1qILtHHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Dear all > > Why do some of the emails I receive come over in Courier? And when I > reply I can't change the font. I am on Outlook 2007. > > EGB > > > > > ...

Delete ROW on Sheet#1 corupts data on Sheet#2
If I delete a ROW od data on sheet1, my formulas on sheet2 screwup. a2 on sheet2: (Filled down to 200) =If('LIST'!$B2="Y","YES","NO") If I delete row #25 on sheet1, my row 25 on sheet2 has a #REF error Any ideas how I overcome this? Thanks Duane wrote: > If I delete a ROW od data on sheet1, my formulas on sheet2 screwup. > a2 on sheet2: (Filled down to 200) > =If('LIST'!$B2="Y","YES","NO") > If I delete row #25 on sheet1, my row 25 on sheet2 has a #REF error > > Any ideas how I overc...

Unable to send emails #2
My mail server is not sending out emails. When I perform an NSLookup on the server's IP address I get an UNKNOWN for the server name. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks "TPSchaefer" <TPSchaefer@hotmail.com> wrote: >My mail server is not sending out emails. When I perform an NSLookup on the >server's IP address I get an UNKNOWN for the server name. > >Any ideas would be appreciated. Fix your DNS or your network connection to your DNS. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm I have...

PMT #2
I know how to use Excel to get the PMT., i.e. a loan for $10.000, 5 years, 7% interest rate. How do I use a regular hand held calculator to get the PMT or do I need a special calculator? Douglas One can certainly do it with any calculator that can do exponents. See XL Help ("PV") for the formula used in the financial calculations. You can solve for pmt. In article <%xxhf.17534$D13.3996@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, "Douglas" <ddwashington@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > I know how to use Excel to get the PMT., i.e. a loan for $10.000, 5 years, > 7% in...

service pac 2 install.
Can anybody out there help me with this problem. I will check back later. See ya -- Thank you kevin787 WinXP SP2, Vista SP2, Win2K SP2, Office 2007 SP2, Office 2003 SP2, or...? kevin 787 wrote: > Can anybody out there help me with this problem. I will check back later. > See ya ...

"Microsoft Exchange Server is Unavailable" Help!!!
I just loaded my version of Outlook 2003. When I attempted to open the program for the first time, it gave me the message "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is Unavailable" I can't get into the program to fix the settings. I tried to reinstall it, and it still gives me the same message. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance for your help! -- Jeff Jeff <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just loaded my version of Outlook 2003. When I attempted to open > the program for the first time, it gave me the message "...

filling weekly totals in new column
This seems like this would be a common question to me, but I've searche the forums and can't find it, so I'm sorry if it's already on here. Here's what I would like to do: I have one column of daily totals. I would like to have weekly total in a new column on another sheet without spaces between them, and want to be able to fill the weekly totals downwards, and have eac weekly total reflect a new set of 7 cells. So, say the first formula i the weekly total column is =SUM(B2:B8), and the second formula i =SUM(B9:B15). When I select these two cells, I want the next one t...

Personal Folder #2
Greetings, I use the outlook 2000 as a mail appliction interface to the exchange 2000 server and save my mails in a personel folder then, I get a problem when i open my personel folder file (*.pst), i used "scanpst" tool to recover my *.pst file but it gaves me an error and stopped, My pst file is over 2Gega bytes and it include a very critical data to me. please help how can i recover my mails from that file? Your .pst file has exceeded the default limit for that type of file and is now probably corrupt. See this page for some assistance: http://www.slipstick.com/proble...

2 faxes
in the printers folder I have 2 fax icons, 1 says fax(under general tab it says model windows NT fax Driver), and the other symantic fax starter edition (under general tab it says model OLFAXDRV) and both say ready. Is this how it is supposed to be set up? Allen --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.672 / Virus Database: 434 - Release Date: 29/04/2004 You tell us. What operating system? What fax software did you install? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Allen" <allencelsie@Hotmail.com> wrote in...

Server ~ What makes it necessary?
I am running 2 POS Stations, and want to know weather I should put in an inexpensive server ($1000 the most)? What really is the difference from a server than a regular computer anyhow? Also what must the server run ie: windows xp, in order to work with RMS??? -- Thank You,; Vince Hey Vince, As far as I know, you do not need a server to run a file server for 2 pos & back office. If you are running 5 or more pos terminals (it is recommended) you will need to have a windows server i.e SMALL BUS.SERVER 2003 PREMIUM. If you are going to get into a server (which in my opinion you d...

resize chart #2
i want to resize a pie chart in excel without resizing the space around it. ie i want the border around the chart to fit closely to the chart. any ideas? Hi, You can resize the actual pie part of the chart by selecting the plotarea (square box bounding the slices). Select the chart and use the Up/Down cursor key to cycle thru the chart elements. Once the plotarea is selected you can drag to resize. Or use the chart toolbar to select the plotarea. Or to click it, image the pie is in a box so click a corner area close to the slices at roughly the 2,5,7 or 11 o'clock positions. Chee...

URLDownloadToFile #2
I found one way to do speed limit with this function : I inserted proper sleep statements in the callback function... Is this the way to do it ? Mike ...

CRichEditCtrl #2
Dear All, I want to get the visible text at the CRichEditCtrl. I can get the top most line using getFirstVisibleLine() but, I can not get the last line Howdy, Have you tried using GetWindowText? That should get the whole window (i.e. the control's window). Frank -- Frank Perry LavaLeaf Software "ahmed.ragab@gmail.com" wrote: > Dear All, > I want to get the visible text at the CRichEditCtrl. > > I can get the top most line using getFirstVisibleLine() but, I can not > get the last line > > ...

KDC Error with CRM1.2 on SBS2003
Hi everybody, following message reoccurs every few minutes in my eventlog: ERROR Event ID:11 Description: There are multiple accounts with name host/SERVERNAME.TESTLAB of type DS_SERVICE_PRINCIPAL_NAME The system is a SBS2003 with CRM1.2 installed. I already found this in the KB: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305971. With LDIFDE I managed to find the second entry. Both the service account, under which CRM is running, and the server itself owns those attributes. It sounds logical that the server owns those attributes but why the service account? Can I delete th...