CRM SBS install error

I installed CRM on SBS 2003 and had 1 problem with the Reporting Server being
incorrect.  But the CRM Setup Wizard tool would not run (kept getting an
exception).
So, I tried a repair of the CRM setup - no good.  Then did an uninstall, and
re-install.  The install will not work - I keep getting the following error:

Action Microsoft.CRM.Setup.Server.RegisterFaxService failed.  The
configuration registry key is invalid.

I have not seen any posts that mention an error like this.  Any idea what to
try now?

Thanks,
Tom
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Were you installing on SBS 2003 premium?

"TommyK" wrote:

> I installed CRM on SBS 2003 and had 1 problem with the Reporting Server being
> incorrect.  But the CRM Setup Wizard tool would not run (kept getting an
> exception).
> So, I tried a repair of the CRM setup - no good.  Then did an uninstall, and
> re-install.  The install will not work - I keep getting the following error:
>
> Action Microsoft.CRM.Setup.Server.RegisterFaxService failed.  The
> configuration registry key is invalid.
>
> I have not seen any posts that mention an error like this.  Any idea what to
> try now?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom
Yes SBS 2003 Premium - with SQL 2000 installed from premium disc, and SP-4
applied.  But we did not install ISA server (not needed).

I am thinking I will either need to wipe all references from the registry or
reinstall SBS 2003.  It's looking like I will have to use a support incident
with Microsoft.

"qweqweewq" wrote:

> Were you installing on SBS 2003 premium?
>
> "TommyK" wrote:
>
> > I installed CRM on SBS 2003 and had 1 problem with the Reporting Server being
> > incorrect.  But the CRM Setup Wizard tool would not run (kept getting an
> > exception).
> > So, I tried a repair of the CRM setup - no good.  Then did an uninstall, and
> > re-install.  The install will not work - I keep getting the following error:
> >
> > Action Microsoft.CRM.Setup.Server.RegisterFaxService failed.  The
> > configuration registry key is invalid.
> >
> > I have not seen any posts that mention an error like this.  Any idea what to
> > try now?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tom
In the SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services readme file there is mention of
manual configuration after install. This should not be necessary on an
SBS2003 server, but it might be worth checking it out.

"TommyK" wrote:

> Yes SBS 2003 Premium - with SQL 2000 installed from premium disc, and SP-4
> applied.  But we did not install ISA server (not needed).
>
> I am thinking I will either need to wipe all references from the registry or
> reinstall SBS 2003.  It's looking like I will have to use a support incident
> with Microsoft.
>
> "qweqweewq" wrote:
>
> > Were you installing on SBS 2003 premium?
> >
> > "TommyK" wrote:
> >
> > > I installed CRM on SBS 2003 and had 1 problem with the Reporting Server being
> > > incorrect.  But the CRM Setup Wizard tool would not run (kept getting an
> > > exception).
> > > So, I tried a repair of the CRM setup - no good.  Then did an uninstall, and
> > > re-install.  The install will not work - I keep getting the following error:
> > >
> > > Action Microsoft.CRM.Setup.Server.RegisterFaxService failed.  The
> > > configuration registry key is invalid.
> > >
> > > I have not seen any posts that mention an error like this.  Any idea what to
> > > try now?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Tom
I have exactly the same problem when installing CRM 3.0 SBS (Dutch) on a SBS
2003 Premium (Dutch) server, running SQL Server 2000 SP4

have you found any solution/work-around yet???

thanx.
dagmar

"TommyK" <TommyK@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>I installed CRM on SBS 2003 and had 1 problem with the Reporting Server
>being
> incorrect.  But the CRM Setup Wizard tool would not run (kept getting an
> exception).
> So, I tried a repair of the CRM setup - no good.  Then did an uninstall,
> and
> re-install.  The install will not work - I keep getting the following
> error:
>
> Action Microsoft.CRM.Setup.Server.RegisterFaxService failed.  The
> configuration registry key is invalid.
>
> I have not seen any posts that mention an error like this.  Any idea what
> try now?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

0
Dagmar
1/30/2006 5:34:23 PM
No solutions yet....

"Dagmar Sporck" wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem when installing CRM 3.0 SBS (Dutch) on a SBS
> 2003 Premium (Dutch) server, running SQL Server 2000 SP4
>
> have you found any solution/work-around yet???
>
> thanx.
> dagmar
>
> "TommyK" <TommyK@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> >I installed CRM on SBS 2003 and had 1 problem with the Reporting Server
> >being
> > incorrect.  But the CRM Setup Wizard tool would not run (kept getting an
> > exception).
> > So, I tried a repair of the CRM setup - no good.  Then did an uninstall,
> > and
> > re-install.  The install will not work - I keep getting the following
> > error:
> >
> > Action Microsoft.CRM.Setup.Server.RegisterFaxService failed.  The
> > configuration registry key is invalid.
> >
> > I have not seen any posts that mention an error like this.  Any idea what
> > try now?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tom

Hi Everybody,

Try the following procedure, but the most clear soultion to reinstall SBS
server clearly:
- Uninstall CRM completly
- Delete crm databases from sql server
- Uninstall Fax service during the CRM intallation time (important!)
- Clear any crm web component from the intallation folder.
- Uninstall SQL server 2000 reporting services

- Create a new website from inetmgr for CRM other than default (e.g. MSCRM)
- insall procedure will rename it (read and run scripts no more privileges on
website!)
- During the creation bound the website to default internal IP interface
(e.g. 192.168.1.2 - server's fix ip in the dns)
- Fill the header value box with server's default DNS host name (for examle:
crm, if the server name in the dns is crm.yourdomain.com)
- Do not install official SQL server reporting to the server other than crm
installer installs.
- After the server preparation (crm required components sit on the sbs
server) start crm installation. Do not enable to create CRM website by the
installer. Set your newly created site to CRM website.
- Let CRM installer to install and set up SQL reporting services on the sbs
server.
It will work.
By my opinion the case of the problem is that CRM website and reporting
website will the Default website and same during the default intall. They
must be install to diferent websites. Since the SQL reporting install itself
to the default - please try to prepare a new one for CRM application.
It has worked for me. ;-)

Regards,
Tibor

"TommyK" wrote:

> No solutions yet....
>

> "Dagmar Sporck" wrote:
>
> > I have exactly the same problem when installing CRM 3.0 SBS (Dutch) on a SBS
> > 2003 Premium (Dutch) server, running SQL Server 2000 SP4
> >
> > have you found any solution/work-around yet???
> >
> > thanx.
> > dagmar
> >
> > "TommyK" <TommyK@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > >I installed CRM on SBS 2003 and had 1 problem with the Reporting Server
> > >being
> > > incorrect.  But the CRM Setup Wizard tool would not run (kept getting an
> > > exception).
> > > So, I tried a repair of the CRM setup - no good.  Then did an uninstall,
> > > and
> > > re-install.  The install will not work - I keep getting the following
> > > error:
> > >
> > > Action Microsoft.CRM.Setup.Server.RegisterFaxService failed.  The
> > > configuration registry key is invalid.
> > >
> > > I have not seen any posts that mention an error like this.  Any idea what
> > > try now?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Tom

thanx Tibor I will give it a try this weekend!
I'll keep you informed!

"Tibor" <Tibor@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi Everybody,
>
> Try the following procedure, but the most clear soultion to reinstall SBS
> server clearly:
> - Uninstall CRM completly
> - Delete crm databases from sql server
> - Uninstall Fax service during the CRM intallation time (important!)
> - Clear any crm web component from the intallation folder.
> - Uninstall SQL server 2000 reporting services
>
> - Create a new website from inetmgr for CRM other than default (e.g.
> MSCRM)
> - insall procedure will rename it (read and run scripts no more privileges
> on
> website!)
> - During the creation bound the website to default internal IP interface
> (e.g. 192.168.1.2 - server's fix ip in the dns)
> - Fill the header value box with server's default DNS host name (for
> examle:
> crm, if the server name in the dns is crm.yourdomain.com)
> - Do not install official SQL server reporting to the server other than
> crm
> installer installs.
> - After the server preparation (crm required components sit on the sbs
> server) start crm installation. Do not enable to create CRM website by the
> installer. Set your newly created site to CRM website.
> - Let CRM installer to install and set up SQL reporting services on the
> sbs
> server.
> It will work.
> By my opinion the case of the problem is that CRM website and reporting
> website will the Default website and same during the default intall. They
> must be install to diferent websites. Since the SQL reporting install
> itself
> to the default - please try to prepare a new one for CRM application.
> It has worked for me. ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Tibor
>
> "TommyK" wrote:
>
>> No solutions yet....
>>

>> "Dagmar Sporck" wrote:
>>
>> > I have exactly the same problem when installing CRM 3.0 SBS (Dutch) on
>> > a SBS
>> > 2003 Premium (Dutch) server, running SQL Server 2000 SP4
>> >
>> > have you found any solution/work-around yet???
>> >
>> > thanx.
>> > dagmar
>> >
>> > "TommyK" <TommyK@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

0
Dagmar
2/24/2006 8:36:34 PM
I gave it a try last night, but .... same problem: setup stops at
FaxService.
I do not quite understand the part you describe with setting up a website
with inetmgr (header value). I've done it, but i keep getting warnings at
the end of the installation-preparation. These warnings point to the website
I set up.

rgds,
dagmar

"Tibor" <Tibor@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi Everybody,
>
> Try the following procedure, but the most clear soultion to reinstall SBS
> server clearly:
> - Uninstall CRM completly
> - Delete crm databases from sql server
> - Uninstall Fax service during the CRM intallation time (important!)
> - Clear any crm web component from the intallation folder.
> - Uninstall SQL server 2000 reporting services
>
> - Create a new website from inetmgr for CRM other than default (e.g.
> MSCRM)
> - insall procedure will rename it (read and run scripts no more privileges
> on
> website!)
> - During the creation bound the website to default internal IP interface
> (e.g. 192.168.1.2 - server's fix ip in the dns)
> - Fill the header value box with server's default DNS host name (for
> examle:
> crm, if the server name in the dns is crm.yourdomain.com)
> - Do not install official SQL server reporting to the server other than
> crm
> installer installs.
> - After the server preparation (crm required components sit on the sbs
> server) start crm installation. Do not enable to create CRM website by the
> installer. Set your newly created site to CRM website.
> - Let CRM installer to install and set up SQL reporting services on the
> sbs
> server.
> It will work.
> By my opinion the case of the problem is that CRM website and reporting
> website will the Default website and same during the default intall. They
> must be install to diferent websites. Since the SQL reporting install
> itself
> to the default - please try to prepare a new one for CRM application.
> It has worked for me. ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Tibor
>
> "TommyK" wrote:
>
>> No solutions yet....
>>

>> "Dagmar Sporck" wrote:
>>
>> > I have exactly the same problem when installing CRM 3.0 SBS (Dutch) on
>> > a SBS
>> > 2003 Premium (Dutch) server, running SQL Server 2000 SP4
>> >
>> > have you found any solution/work-around yet???
>> >
>> > thanx.
>> > dagmar
>> >
>> > "TommyK" <TommyK@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

0
Dagmar
2/25/2006 11:48:21 AM
I recently, formatted the server, installed SBS2003 Prem, configured users,
etc.
upgraded to SP1, exchange to SP2.
installed SQL2005, default installation
then installed CRM 3.0 SBE (pretty default) and (apart of some minor
glitches) it works...

right now I keep getting 1-2 errormessages a day concerning the
BulkEmailService, teh FaxService (ca. 1/wk) and some CRMReportingServices
errors. No problems in operation (although still in implementation mode) have
occured.

rgds,
dagmar

"Dagmar S." wrote:

> I gave it a try last night, but .... same problem: setup stops at
> FaxService.
> I do not quite understand the part you describe with setting up a website
> with inetmgr (header value). I've done it, but i keep getting warnings at
> the end of the installation-preparation. These warnings point to the website
> I set up.
>
> rgds,
> dagmar
>
> "Tibor" <Tibor@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > Try the following procedure, but the most clear soultion to reinstall SBS
> > server clearly:
> > - Uninstall CRM completly
> > - Delete crm databases from sql server
> > - Uninstall Fax service during the CRM intallation time (important!)
> > - Clear any crm web component from the intallation folder.
> > - Uninstall SQL server 2000 reporting services
> >
> > - Create a new website from inetmgr for CRM other than default (e.g.
> > MSCRM)
> > - insall procedure will rename it (read and run scripts no more privileges
> > on
> > website!)
> > - During the creation bound the website to default internal IP interface
> > (e.g. 192.168.1.2 - server's fix ip in the dns)
> > - Fill the header value box with server's default DNS host name (for
> > examle:
> > crm, if the server name in the dns is crm.yourdomain.com)
> > - Do not install official SQL server reporting to the server other than
> > crm
> > installer installs.
> > - After the server preparation (crm required components sit on the sbs
> > server) start crm installation. Do not enable to create CRM website by the
> > installer. Set your newly created site to CRM website.
> > - Let CRM installer to install and set up SQL reporting services on the
> > sbs
> > server.
> > It will work.
> > By my opinion the case of the problem is that CRM website and reporting
> > website will the Default website and same during the default intall. They
> > must be install to diferent websites. Since the SQL reporting install
> > itself
> > to the default - please try to prepare a new one for CRM application.
> > It has worked for me. ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tibor
> >
> > "TommyK" wrote:
> >
> >> No solutions yet....

Installing Office Assistant
Hello, I just installed Microsoft Office 2003 Student and Teacher Edition and I can't find the Office Assistant. Normally on other versions of Office I've used, in the Help Help pane there is the option to Show Office Assistant, but I do not have this option. I'd like to make use of Office Assistant, is there a way of installing it or is it not part of the Teachers' edition suite? Thanks in advance Hi Bobby! The only difference between the Student and Teacher (aka Academic) Edition is the terms of the licence. Office Assistant is an option. Close down your computer...

CRM Field Names

CRM 3.0 and CRM 4.0

Organizational Settings in CRM 3.0

error when reinstalling XP Pro
thHi, I have a Dell Latitude D620. That was having some issues with ethernet and wireless connections. Nothing really found as fas as malware or viruses, without updates of course. I tried to do a windows repair from the XP CD and right when it shows starting windows to choose repair or install windows I get a blue screen with the error... PCI.SYS-address F76130BF base at F76000000 Date stamp 3B7D855C. I tried a few times and even set the BIOS to minimal. Then I pulled the hard drive out and connected to another laptop using a usb cradle, formated the drive and put it back in th...

CRM and MapPoint

Reset CRM

when I try to run detect and repair, windows installer comes up
and asks for the office cd, however when I put it in, it never loads , so how do I run it??? I have office 2000 and win xp pro You can also insert your CD, start setup and choose Repair then. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "bob" <bob@donotspam> wrote in message news:u0nlBvBsEHA.2776@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > and asks for the office cd, however when I put it in, it never loads , so > how do I run it??? I have office 2000 and ...

Vista CRM 3.0 Desktop client

CRM registration can not be done!

File in Use Error
Hello, I have a excel spreadsheet with two worksheets, each of which connects to the same Access database via an ODBC connection to retrieve data. The worksheets have different data and are pulling from different tables in access. I was able to do this without any problem but since I am the owner and creator for both files I did not forsee any problems. Now I need another individual to do this task but when they open the excel file they get 'File in Use :|' error. The person has read, write, modify and excute rights to the database. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you. Sini ...

Great Plains Client Installation Options? (Questions)
My company has almost 100 client installs of Great Plains. For the initial install we installed everything to the local c: drive (C:\Great Plains\). Now everytime we go to perform an upgrade we have to go to every client machine and upgrade them individually (or at least make sure that machine has recieved the updated files correctly). We also have a script that on login copies down needed files and that helps alot. However this is my question: Is there something that prevents me from having all the clients look to a shared (UNC) path for their data files. (//machinename/shareddrive...

Migrating CRM to CRM

PDF's not traking in crm

Crm grid error

Upgrading to CRM 3.0 Problems

Send and Recieve error
I recently did a windows update and now I can't send and recieve emails. I get an error unknown error Ox8007007E. Any ideas? Thanks richard What version of Outlook are you using? Note: this group does not support Outlook Express. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Richard <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | I recently did a windows update and now I can'...

CRM 3.0 Changing CRM Mailbox
When I installed CRM/the Email router, I specified it to use the administrator mailbox. I now want to move it to a dedicated CRM mailbox, where cna I find this setting if it's not under Settings/Organisation Settings/System Settings/Email ?? Thanks Hi Adam, I believed that you have to use the Microsoft CRM-Exchange Email Router -> Rule Deployment Wizard to update the mailbox information. Make sure the logon to start that email router Service able to access that mailbox. Darren Darren Liu wrote: > Hi Adam, > > I believed that you have to use the Microsoft CRM-Exch...

Archiving error
Using Exchange 5.5 with Outlook 2000 client. Auto Archiving is setup to archive to a .pst file. Receive following error after archiving. "Errors occured while archiving in Outlook 2000. Look for a detailed report in deleted Items Folder." Message contained in deleted Items folder is: "Archive skips store due to error. Failed to open a source store. The information store could not be opened." ...

Announcements in Crm
Can u set it that announcements shows to all users when they log on,as there is no workflow for announcements. is there any way to intergrate a ticker at the bottom of Crm to show information? not without making unsupported changes to the announcement section. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "Zombie9" <Zombie9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0ED5A80-84DE-42E3-BDD2-9D25CD846E93@microsoft.com... > Can u set it that announcements shows to all users when they log on,as > there > is no w...