CRM and SQL on separate Servers

What is the recommended configuration for MSCRM and SQL? Is it best to have
them on the same server or separated? We were going to move the SQL database
to another server dedicated for the CRM SQL DB's. The current server has
plenty of horse power dual Xeon 2.8 GHz/2GB/RAID5. It would be moved to a
server of the same specs, but single Proc.
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Sean;

The recommended configuration is for SQL to be on a separate server, with
MSCRM being on its own web server/s.  There are a lot of reasons for this,
but the main one is performance.

Optimally, the SQL Server would have 3+GB of RAM and the CRM Server would
have enough RAM per the users.  My experience has found that you want as much
RAM as possible on web servers.

Hope this helps.

Rich Elliott

"Sean Donnelly" wrote:

> What is the recommended configuration for MSCRM and SQL? Is it best to have
> them on the same server or separated? We were going to move the SQL database
> to another server dedicated for the CRM SQL DB's. The current server has
> plenty of horse power dual Xeon 2.8 GHz/2GB/RAID5. It would be moved to a
> server of the same specs, but single Proc.
Rich,

That's what i was hoping you'd day, we found another site stating that CRM
and SQL should be installed on the same server. I'm making the move today!

thanks,
Sean

"Rich Elliott" wrote:

> Sean;
>
> The recommended configuration is for SQL to be on a separate server, with
> MSCRM being on its own web server/s.  There are a lot of reasons for this,
> but the main one is performance.
>
> Optimally, the SQL Server would have 3+GB of RAM and the CRM Server would
> have enough RAM per the users.  My experience has found that you want as much
> RAM as possible on web servers.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Rich Elliott
>

> "Sean Donnelly" wrote:
>
> > What is the recommended configuration for MSCRM and SQL? Is it best to have
> > them on the same server or separated? We were going to move the SQL database
> > to another server dedicated for the CRM SQL DB's. The current server has
> > plenty of horse power dual Xeon 2.8 GHz/2GB/RAID5. It would be moved to a
> > server of the same specs, but single Proc.
Depending upon the number of users, spec of the Server/environment, function
volume usage, etc. - Having both SQL Server and CRM Server on same server is
ok and can be just as fast or even faster for certain environments, i.e. data
request/transfer doesn't need to go back and forth between servers..

For example: we have clients running Small Business Server environment that
has everything (Exchange, SQL Server, MSCRM, ISA, etc.) running on a single
machine - running just as fast or faster than individual servers...  SBS03
does tap out (license wise) for 75 users.

Frank Lee
Workopia, Inc.
www.workopia.com

"Sean Donnelly" wrote:

> Rich,
>
> That's what i was hoping you'd day, we found another site stating that CRM
> and SQL should be installed on the same server. I'm making the move today!
>
> thanks,
> Sean
>
> "Rich Elliott" wrote:
>
> > Sean;
> >
> > The recommended configuration is for SQL to be on a separate server, with
> > MSCRM being on its own web server/s.  There are a lot of reasons for this,
> > but the main one is performance.
> >
> > Optimally, the SQL Server would have 3+GB of RAM and the CRM Server would
> > have enough RAM per the users.  My experience has found that you want as much
> > RAM as possible on web servers.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Rich Elliott
> >

> > "Sean Donnelly" wrote:
> >
> > > What is the recommended configuration for MSCRM and SQL? Is it best to have
> > > them on the same server or separated? We were going to move the SQL database
> > > to another server dedicated for the CRM SQL DB's. The current server has
> > > plenty of horse power dual Xeon 2.8 GHz/2GB/RAID5. It would be moved to a
> > > server of the same specs, but single Proc.

CRM Field Names

CRM 3.0 and CRM 4.0

SQL Server Express 2008
Hi, I just had to do a full re-install on a new machine. The new machine is windows 7. I am having problems trying to install sql express 2008 Here are my steps i did. I installed Visual Studio 2008 Installed VS2008 sp1 Then uninstalled anything that said "SQL" ( because it was all for the 2005 version ). Then I went and downloaded the SQL Express 2008 and installed. It then installed SQL Express 2008 sp1. Now, when I go to the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio I dont have a server installed. I go into Server Configuration Manager and under the ...

CRM and MapPoint

How do I plot data in Excel that is captured on separate sheets; .
Data is saved in Excel worksheets by date. I need to plot various data from each of the separate sheets on a summary sheet. That is, the summary sheet plots data across multiple worksheets. For example, Avg1 is on Sheet1, Avg2 on Sheet2, ... Then, on the summary sheet, I would like to plot the Avg1, Avg2, ... sequence. I have not found a simple way to do this. ...

Organizational Settings in CRM 3.0

Triggering a SQL script from a quote
I would like to trigger a SQL script to run whenever a quote is stored in GP 10. I know how to write a script in SQL, but I have no idea how to "get into" GP to make that happen. Can anyone tell me how to get started? Please reply as though I don't have any experience in such matters, because I don't! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! Pat, You can certainly look at the Sales Order Processing printable manual, which can be found under the Documentation directory in your Microsoft Dynamics GP installation. It has step by step instructions on entering a Sale...

Reset CRM

Vista CRM 3.0 Desktop client

Save Excel on Server (Web Server IIS)
Hello, Let me explain the exact scenario. I actually want to display the Excel sheet to the user in the web. This problem is resolved I can show excel "abc.xls" in the web when user try to open that file the message box opened and ask for confirmation. After confirming he can add or modify the sheet. But when he saved that file either he has to save on the local system and then save on server or has to give full path of the server. So we are looking for the solution so that we can transparently save that file on the web without taking path of the server because ...

CRM registration can not be done!

sql server freezes excel
Hello, I'm using sql server's DTS to import an excel spreadsheet. This works fine, apart from after I have used the DTS package, I then cannot open an excel spreadsheet. I click on the spreadsheet I want to open, in the same way as usual, and the outline of the spreadsheet appears, with the toolbar along the top, but instead of the spreadsheet data, this frame contains a replica of the desktop, as if the application was frozen. The application is still running though - the toolbar works, but if you move the application around the screen it leaves ghosting marks..... If I shut down ...

Migrating CRM to CRM

Crm grid error

Separate first name, middle name and last name
Hello - My worksheet has a range of names (not similar), where some have first, mid and last names, some have first and last names, first, last and suffix etc. I came across a tutorial that helped me separate first, mid and last name, but the forumula doesn't work if there is no middle name.. I want to create a macro so I don't have to manually do a text-to-column every time. Sample data: Eric M Barnes Edward L Bassard III Aurora Sofia Garcia Angela N Higginbotham Amanda Marie Roccuzzo Brent Murakami Forumla tried - Left: =LEFT(A3, SEARCH(" ",A3,1)) ...

PDF's not traking in crm

Upgrading to CRM 3.0 Problems

Saving Files to SQL Server
I have an application written in Access 2003 using linked tables to SQL Server 2000. I need to code an Access form to upload files (i.e. .pdf, .doc, .xls, .txt, etc.) to SQL Server and I've never done this before. Can someone please point me to some sample Access code that will take a file and save it to the (SQL Server) database? Thank you! -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Second SMTP Server
I have two Exchange servers in the same domain. They are in two separate admin groups. They are on two separate subnets. Inter-Organizational mail works fine. They have one routing group connector between the two. These two servers are on opposite sides of the globe. Server 1 is in the U.S. and sends Internet addresses SMTP directly to its destination just fine. Server 2 is in Europe, and will not send Internet addressed SMTP mail at all. The mail just sits in a queue, and says retry. This appears to be a two fold problem. 1. Server 2 does not send the Internet addressed SMTP mail to S...

CRM 3.0 Changing CRM Mailbox
When I installed CRM/the Email router, I specified it to use the administrator mailbox. I now want to move it to a dedicated CRM mailbox, where cna I find this setting if it's not under Settings/Organisation Settings/System Settings/Email ?? Thanks Hi Adam, I believed that you have to use the Microsoft CRM-Exchange Email Router -> Rule Deployment Wizard to update the mailbox information. Make sure the logon to start that email router Service able to access that mailbox. Darren Darren Liu wrote: > Hi Adam, > > I believed that you have to use the Microsoft CRM-Exch...

Announcements in Crm
Can u set it that announcements shows to all users when they log on,as there is no workflow for announcements. is there any way to intergrate a ticker at the bottom of Crm to show information? not without making unsupported changes to the announcement section. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "Zombie9" <Zombie9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0ED5A80-84DE-42E3-BDD2-9D25CD846E93@microsoft.com... > Can u set it that announcements shows to all users when they log on,as > there > is no w...