CRM and Great Plains Overlap?

This post is for someone that knows both GP and CRM.

I am working a prospect that will be getting GP (from someone else) and they
have seen me demo CRM.

CRM looks real good except that they are saying GP accounting has pretty
good opportunity management built into.

We are trying to figure where and how much CRM and GP overlap for both sales
and service as compared to just integrating - product catalog comes from GP
into CRM. Orders and invoice are driven out of GP when quote is accepted in
CRM.

Since we don't know GP we are trying to get a handle on it.

The prospect is wondering how much more they will be getting for CRM which
will run them 1/2 again their GP installation.

Jerry

email address is at http://www.iBizinitiatives.com

0
Jerry
9/12/2003 10:41:40 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

2 entirely different aps.  GP is much more difficult to use (for the average
sales/csr person). It is geared toward accounting, etc.  CRM on the other
hand is easy to use and only has the tools needed for sales/csr reps.  If
your customer is serious about sales/service, they need to use CRM.

I haven't adequately compared the 2 because it's apples and oranges.  Just
because both are fruit and they both grow on trees does not mean that they
taste at all alike.

BTW: If you're not familiar with GP, how do you plan to integrate the 2 aps?

--
Brandon
IT Director

"Jerry Weinstock" <find my email address @ iBizInitiatives.com> wrote in
message news:uInuJ8XeDHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> This post is for someone that knows both GP and CRM.
>
> I am working a prospect that will be getting GP (from someone else) and
they
> have seen me demo CRM.
>
> CRM looks real good except that they are saying GP accounting has pretty
> good opportunity management built into.
>
> We are trying to figure where and how much CRM and GP overlap for both
sales
> and service as compared to just integrating - product catalog comes from
GP
> into CRM. Orders and invoice are driven out of GP when quote is accepted
in
> CRM.
>
> Since we don't know GP we are trying to get a handle on it.
>
> The prospect is wondering how much more they will be getting for CRM which
> will run them 1/2 again their GP installation.
>
> Jerry
>
> email address is at http://www.iBizinitiatives.com

0
Brandon
9/15/2003 3:13:24 PM
1. as always we will worry about the integration details when the time
comes, although generally speaking I would work closely with their GP
source.

2. I understand the gearing toward acctg. but I was looking for more
specifics on the things that GP does that CRM does and vice versa.  For
example you can do quotes and invoices in CRM but also in GP.

thanks

Jerry

"Brandon S." <bsmith@presentationsdirect.nospam.com> wrote in message
> 2 entirely different aps.  GP is much more difficult to use (for the
average
> sales/csr person). It is geared toward accounting, etc.  CRM on the other
> hand is easy to use and only has the tools needed for sales/csr reps.  If
> your customer is serious about sales/service, they need to use CRM.
>
> I haven't adequately compared the 2 because it's apples and oranges.  Just
> because both are fruit and they both grow on trees does not mean that they
> taste at all alike.
>
> BTW: If you're not familiar with GP, how do you plan to integrate the 2
aps?

> --
> Brandon
> IT Director
> Office Equipment & Supplies at http://www.presentationsdirect.com
>

> "Jerry Weinstock" <find my email address @ iBizInitiatives.com> wrote in
> message news:uInuJ8XeDHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > This post is for someone that knows both GP and CRM.
> >
> > I am working a prospect that will be getting GP (from someone else) and
> they
> > have seen me demo CRM.
> >
> > CRM looks real good except that they are saying GP accounting has pretty
> > good opportunity management built into.
> >
> > We are trying to figure where and how much CRM and GP overlap for both
> sales
> > and service as compared to just integrating - product catalog comes from
> GP
> > into CRM. Orders and invoice are driven out of GP when quote is accepted
> in
> > CRM.
> >
> > Since we don't know GP we are trying to get a handle on it.
> >
> > The prospect is wondering how much more they will be getting for CRM
which
> > will run them 1/2 again their GP installation.
> >
> > Jerry
> >
> > email address is at http://www.iBizinitiatives.com

0
Jerry
9/15/2003 6:57:47 PM
Jerry,

I feel that CRM is a much better fit for Quotes than GP is.  While GP will
allow you to do quotes, it doesn't provide the workflow capabilities that
CRM provides.  Thus, you won't be able to schedule follow-up activities or
track correspondence within GP.

As for Invoicing, I personally doubt that many companies will use the
ability of CRM to generate an Invoice.  I see this as a presentation of data
from the back-office application where the Invoice resides.

Also, how important is disconnected access to their sales force?  They won't
be able to do anything in a disconnected mode with GP.

If they are trying to compare the two products,  they are going to need to
determine what featrues they want and deem important.  After all, workflow &
disconnected access don't mean anything if they don't require that.

Afraid I can't give you a "this is the choice" answer because it is truly
dependant on their needs.  The best you can do is help them determine their
needs and evaluate the products against that criteria.

Matt

"Jerry Weinstock" <find my email address @ iBizInitiatives.com> wrote in
message news:uK8$Bt7eDHA.2364@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
1. as always we will worry about the integration details when the time
comes, although generally speaking I would work closely with their GP
source.

2. I understand the gearing toward acctg. but I was looking for more
specifics on the things that GP does that CRM does and vice versa.  For
example you can do quotes and invoices in CRM but also in GP.

thanks

Jerry

"Brandon S." <bsmith@presentationsdirect.nospam.com> wrote in message
> 2 entirely different aps.  GP is much more difficult to use (for the
average
> sales/csr person). It is geared toward accounting, etc.  CRM on the other
> hand is easy to use and only has the tools needed for sales/csr reps.  If
> your customer is serious about sales/service, they need to use CRM.
>
> I haven't adequately compared the 2 because it's apples and oranges.  Just
> because both are fruit and they both grow on trees does not mean that they
> taste at all alike.
>
> BTW: If you're not familiar with GP, how do you plan to integrate the 2
aps?

> --
> Brandon
> IT Director
> Office Equipment & Supplies at http://www.presentationsdirect.com
>

> "Jerry Weinstock" <find my email address @ iBizInitiatives.com> wrote in
> message news:uInuJ8XeDHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > This post is for someone that knows both GP and CRM.
> >
> > I am working a prospect that will be getting GP (from someone else) and
> they
> > have seen me demo CRM.
> >
> > CRM looks real good except that they are saying GP accounting has pretty
> > good opportunity management built into.
> >
> > We are trying to figure where and how much CRM and GP overlap for both
> sales
> > and service as compared to just integrating - product catalog comes from
> GP
> > into CRM. Orders and invoice are driven out of GP when quote is accepted
> in
> > CRM.
> >
> > Since we don't know GP we are trying to get a handle on it.
> >
> > The prospect is wondering how much more they will be getting for CRM
which
> > will run them 1/2 again their GP installation.
> >
> > Jerry
> >
> > email address is at http://www.iBizinitiatives.com

0
Matt
9/15/2003 7:18:27 PM
Matt,

Its not really a matter of selecting which one.

They have already begun the purchase process for the GP acctg. system with a
custom module for their industry to run their business.

What we are trying to dispel is that while there is overlap, as there should
be in any good integration of two systems, that while GP has some
capabilities to track opportunities via the quoting process, that is as far
as it goes and there are no other overlaps.

Jerry

"Matt Parks" <Matt.Parks@removetoX_XRevereGroup.Com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > they
> > > have seen me demo CRM.
> > >
> > > CRM looks real good except that they are saying GP accounting has
pretty
> > > good opportunity management built into.
> > >
> > > We are trying to figure where and how much CRM and GP overlap for both
> > sales
> > > and service as compared to just integrating - product catalog comes
from
> > GP
> > > into CRM. Orders and invoice are driven out of GP when quote is
accepted
> > in
> > > CRM.
> > >
> > > Since we don't know GP we are trying to get a handle on it.
> > >
> > > The prospect is wondering how much more they will be getting for CRM
> which
> > > will run them 1/2 again their GP installation.

Converting incoming email to plain text
Hi Is there any way I can configure Xch 5.5 to convert all received SMTP email to plain text ? I can't find any option. Thanks Dave ...

CRM Field Names

CRM 3.0 and CRM 4.0

Organizational Settings in CRM 3.0

CRM and MapPoint

HTML messages received as plain text
Whenever I send a message in HTML format and receive a copy of it at my own inbox, it gets converted to plain text. I can't seem to find the place where I specify the default receive format or some other way to stop Outlook 2002 from converting my HTML format messages to plain text. I can receive HTML messages from others, but when I send one to myself as part of group e-mail, it always gets converted. ...

Reset CRM

Vista CRM 3.0 Desktop client

CRM registration can not be done!

Great Plains Client Installation Options? (Questions)
My company has almost 100 client installs of Great Plains. For the initial install we installed everything to the local c: drive (C:\Great Plains\). Now everytime we go to perform an upgrade we have to go to every client machine and upgrade them individually (or at least make sure that machine has recieved the updated files correctly). We also have a script that on login copies down needed files and that helps alot. However this is my question: Is there something that prevents me from having all the clients look to a shared (UNC) path for their data files. (//machinename/shareddrive...

Migrating CRM to CRM

PDF's not traking in crm

Crm grid error

Upgrading to CRM 3.0 Problems

overlapping reservation
Is there a way to prevent overlapping of calendar reservations. I am using outlook 2003 and exchange 2003. Thanks, On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:13:50 -0500, "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to prevent overlapping of calendar reservations. I am using >outlook 2003 and exchange 2003. > > >Thanks, > > How are you doing this? Normal sending of meeting requests will show a conflict. Where are you doing all this through? I am using a room reservation account as a resource. I do not want staff to overlap reservation. "Mark Arno...

CRM 3.0 Changing CRM Mailbox
When I installed CRM/the Email router, I specified it to use the administrator mailbox. I now want to move it to a dedicated CRM mailbox, where cna I find this setting if it's not under Settings/Organisation Settings/System Settings/Email ?? Thanks Hi Adam, I believed that you have to use the Microsoft CRM-Exchange Email Router -> Rule Deployment Wizard to update the mailbox information. Make sure the logon to start that email router Service able to access that mailbox. Darren Darren Liu wrote: > Hi Adam, > > I believed that you have to use the Microsoft CRM-Exch...

Announcements in Crm
Can u set it that announcements shows to all users when they log on,as there is no workflow for announcements. is there any way to intergrate a ticker at the bottom of Crm to show information? not without making unsupported changes to the announcement section. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "Zombie9" <Zombie9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0ED5A80-84DE-42E3-BDD2-9D25CD846E93@microsoft.com... > Can u set it that announcements shows to all users when they log on,as > there > is no w...

Import Error CRM 3.0 German
I am running German version of CRM 3.0 and for testing purposes we're trying to import just 6 adresses from an Excel sheet. But every import fails with the message: "Daten in der Zeile stimmen nicht mit dem Importtyp überein" "0x8004032d" We already reformatted the Excel sheet, we exported the stuff into: - txt, tabulator-splitted - csv, splitcharacter splitted, everythings fails, we are nor able to import those adresses into register "company" (Firma) Someone got an idea why? Thanks in advance for any hint, greets Tom hi Tom, check your datatype, is...

CRM undelete?
We had a user who deleted an entire account, and so now I'm trying to rebuild that since it all remains on SQL. I was able to bring back the account, and all its contacts and opportunities, and they all linked fine. I also brought back all the activities, but they are not linked to the account. When I do an advanced search, I can find this activities and it shows that it IS part of that account, but when I go to that account and look in the history, they are not there. After a quick check, apparently they need to be associated in the ActivityPartyBase table in MSCRM. This is where I hav...

Great Plains and BizTalk
Is there any ways that we can have Great Plains talk to BizTalk? Hi Yes, you can use eConnect from MBS to get MGP to communicate to Biztalk. Regards James "Mo Quamar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2926b01c464f9$606d0bd0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any ways that we can have Great Plains talk to > BizTalk? If you have access to MBS Partnersource here is a link that explains how eConnect, Biztalk and Great Plains work: https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/documentation/whitepapers/econnect_whitepaper_partner_70.pdf.htm James ...

Migrate CRM Data from CRM Server to another CRM Server
we have a staging and a production CRM server and i'd like to migrate the Production server data to the staging server database. Can anyone recommend a tool or process that i can that doesn't involve rebuilding the staging server? thanks Please ignore - looks like Data Migration Framework is the way to go, based on other posts "Eve" wrote: > we have a staging and a production CRM server and i'd like to migrate the > Production server data to the staging server database. Can anyone recommend a > tool or process that i can that doesn't involve rebuildi...