CRM 3.0 - Export/Import

I recently moved all of our data from Goldmine 6.0 (approximately 7000
contacts) to CRM 1.2, then upgraded to CRM 3.0. I used a 45 day license of
Scribe to perform the import. I moved all of the data to Accounts (for
companies) and Contacts. Included in this data was a large number of
prosective clients & companies that really should have been brought into CRM
as Leads.

Here's my question... I know that you cannot convert Accounts or Contacts
back to Leads, but could I somehow export the Accounts and Contacts that
should have been Leads to a file, delete them in CRM, then import that data
back into CRM 3.0 as Leads?

Thank you,
Donna Patton
IT Manager
Green Investment Management, Inc.
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Donna,

Answers is - absolutely.  You could do this a couple of ways:

1)  (Simplest method) - export your prospect accounts and contacts through
Advanced Find to excel, combine the two excel files, then use the Bulk Import
tool to import the file.  Once you've verified a successful import, delete
the appropriate accounts & contacts.

2)  (Little more advanced) - using .Net, write a script against the CRM web
service which acquires the appropriate accounts & contacts, creates the lead,
and simultaneously deletes the old record.

Method 1 is the simplest and probably fastest, but method 2 will make you
feel more comfortable with the ease of coding agaist the CRM web service.

Hope this helped,

Jeff Bennett
CRM Practice Manager
Solutions Consulting Group, Inc.
http://www.scg.net
Jeff,

Both of your options won't bring over activities because the export to Excel
doesn't include them.

Do you have any additional thoughts on how to migrate over the activities as
well to Leads?

"Jeff Bennett" wrote:

> Donna,
>
> Answers is - absolutely.  You could do this a couple of ways:
>
> 1)  (Simplest method) - export your prospect accounts and contacts through
> Advanced Find to excel, combine the two excel files, then use the Bulk Import
> tool to import the file.  Once you've verified a successful import, delete
> the appropriate accounts & contacts.
>
> 2)  (Little more advanced) - using .Net, write a script against the CRM web
> service which acquires the appropriate accounts & contacts, creates the lead,
> and simultaneously deletes the old record.
>
> Method 1 is the simplest and probably fastest, but method 2 will make you
> feel more comfortable with the ease of coding agaist the CRM web service.
>
> Hope this helped,
>
> Jeff Bennett
> CRM Practice Manager
> Solutions Consulting Group, Inc.
> http://www.scg.net
Donna,
 might you be available for some consulting services?  (mostly just advice
and guidance).  Let me know.  I want to get as much help as we can before we
start migrating from Goldmine 6.5 to MS CRM.  I've set this post to notify me
of replies, so I'll get it as soon as you reply.
  Thanks.
  Scott Tate

"DonnaDea" wrote:

> I recently moved all of our data from Goldmine 6.0 (approximately 7000
> contacts) to CRM 1.2, then upgraded to CRM 3.0. I used a 45 day license of
> Scribe to perform the import. I moved all of the data to Accounts (for
> companies) and Contacts. Included in this data was a large number of
> prosective clients & companies that really should have been brought into CRM
> as Leads.
>
> Here's my question... I know that you cannot convert Accounts or Contacts
> back to Leads, but could I somehow export the Accounts and Contacts that
> should have been Leads to a file, delete them in CRM, then import that data
> back into CRM 3.0 as Leads?
>
> Thank you,
> Donna Patton
> IT Manager
> Green Investment Management, Inc.
Jeff,

Thanks for the great advice.  Is there a way to do a bulk delete with CRM?
I have a view of 1000 leads that need deleted from the application.  Any
help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Julie

"Jeff Bennett" wrote:

> Donna,
>
> Answers is - absolutely.  You could do this a couple of ways:
>
> 1)  (Simplest method) - export your prospect accounts and contacts through
> Advanced Find to excel, combine the two excel files, then use the Bulk Import
> tool to import the file.  Once you've verified a successful import, delete
> the appropriate accounts & contacts.
>
> 2)  (Little more advanced) - using .Net, write a script against the CRM web
> service which acquires the appropriate accounts & contacts, creates the lead,
> and simultaneously deletes the old record.
>
> Method 1 is the simplest and probably fastest, but method 2 will make you
> feel more comfortable with the ease of coding agaist the CRM web service.
>
> Hope this helped,
>
> Jeff Bennett
> CRM Practice Manager
> Solutions Consulting Group, Inc.
> http://www.scg.net
Hi Julie,

Bulk delete is possible within CRM. In the Leads view, select all the lead
that need to be deleted and click delete.

However be sure to delete all the activities that may be associated with
these leads before the lead is deleted.

Hope this helps!

Sam
_______________
Inogic
Innovative Logic
Innovative solutions for your SME ERP/CRM products
E-mail: crm@inogic.com
Web: www.inogic.com
--------------------------

"JulieB" <JulieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Jeff,
>
> Thanks for the great advice.  Is there a way to do a bulk delete with CRM?
> I have a view of 1000 leads that need deleted from the application.  Any
> help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Julie
>
> "Jeff Bennett" wrote:
>
>> Donna,
>>
>> Answers is - absolutely.  You could do this a couple of ways:
>>
>> 1)  (Simplest method) - export your prospect accounts and contacts
>> through
>> Advanced Find to excel, combine the two excel files, then use the Bulk
>> Import
>> tool to import the file.  Once you've verified a successful import,
>> delete
>> the appropriate accounts & contacts.
>>
>> 2)  (Little more advanced) - using .Net, write a script against the CRM
>> web
>> service which acquires the appropriate accounts & contacts, creates the
>> lead,
>> and simultaneously deletes the old record.
>>
>> Method 1 is the simplest and probably fastest, but method 2 will make you
>> feel more comfortable with the ease of coding agaist the CRM web service.
>>
>> Hope this helped,
>>
>> Jeff Bennett
>> CRM Practice Manager
>> Solutions Consulting Group, Inc.
>> http://www.scg.net

0
Sam
4/11/2007 6:48:56 AM
Bulk Delete is also related to the security role so if it doesn't work check
the rights on your role.

--
Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM
President, The Norwich Group

Written on a Lenovo T60p running VISTA Ultimate
Tracked in MS Dynamics CRM v3.0 Rollup 1, Outlook Client v3.0C (with hotfix)
Good Neighbor to Groove 2007, OneNote 2007, Office Enterprise 2007,
Autotask, LinkedIN,
TypePad and More!
"Sam - Inogic" <inogic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Julie,
>
> Bulk delete is possible within CRM. In the Leads view, select all the lead
> that need to be deleted and click delete.
>
> However be sure to delete all the activities that may be associated with
> these leads before the lead is deleted.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Sam
> _______________
> Inogic
> Innovative Logic
> Innovative solutions for your SME ERP/CRM products
> E-mail: crm@inogic.com
> Web: www.inogic.com
> --------------------------
>

> "JulieB" <JulieB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Jeff,
>>
>> Thanks for the great advice.  Is there a way to do a bulk delete with
>> CRM?
>> I have a view of 1000 leads that need deleted from the application.  Any
>> help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Julie
>>
>> "Jeff Bennett" wrote:
>>
>>> Donna,
>>>
>>> Answers is - absolutely.  You could do this a couple of ways:
>>>
>>> 1)  (Simplest method) - export your prospect accounts and contacts
>>> through
>>> Advanced Find to excel, combine the two excel files, then use the Bulk
>>> Import
>>> tool to import the file.  Once you've verified a successful import,
>>> delete
>>> the appropriate accounts & contacts.
>>>
>>> 2)  (Little more advanced) - using .Net, write a script against the CRM
>>> web
>>> service which acquires the appropriate accounts & contacts, creates the
>>> lead,
>>> and simultaneously deletes the old record.
>>>
>>> Method 1 is the simplest and probably fastest, but method 2 will make
>>> you
>>> feel more comfortable with the ease of coding agaist the CRM web
>>> service.
>>>
>>> Hope this helped,
>>>
>>> Jeff Bennett
>>> CRM Practice Manager
>>> Solutions Consulting Group, Inc.
>>> http://www.scg.net

0
Anne

Upgragding to 1.2 to 1.3
Receiving the media on Monday. Any issues that I should be aware of? Pralell dongle. Best, M Manny, Why not wait til 1.3R due within the next couple of weeks? Otherwise, backup your database and any customized reports and/or receipts. If you get a license violation after the install, just unplug and re-plug in your dongle. -- * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader to see and download the file attachment. If you are not using a reader, follow the link below to setup Outlook Express. Click on "Open wi...

Office 2004 update 11.3.9 weirdness
Installed Office 2004 update 11.3.9 when microsoft auto update pushed it down this morning. Any idea why it changed the name of my hard drive to "v bc"? Any idea what to do about that? mac book pro, OSX 10.4.10 In article <1194878374.217619.309200@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>, pattigibbons@nycap.rr.com wrote: > Installed Office 2004 update 11.3.9 when microsoft auto update pushed > it down this morning. Any idea why it changed the name of my hard > drive to "v bc"? Any idea what to do about that? > > mac book pro, OSX 10.4.10 The Office updat...

email format #3
I have an emailing program that uses a Rich_text_box as a body. Now with rich_text_box you can have bold, multi color underlined.etc TEXT. Since using HTML body is a bad (not recommended, even thought it would keep all the formatting) thing then what else can I use to have the same type of format as an rich_text or html so when the recipient receives, it looks presentable with all it indenting, bold,.etc???? HELP!!! Only Outlook recipients can see rich-text content. HTML is a better approach if you want to reach the most people. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft O...

CRM Field Names

CRM 3.0 and CRM 4.0

Importing spreadsheet to a table from a button?
We recieve information atleast once a week if not more. Instead of having to import the table manualy into a already existing table I was wanting to know if there would be anyway that I could just go to a form that contains a button that says "Import" or whatever we decided to label it as and when you select the button, it will have a code or command (I figure a code will need to be wrote) to just go and import the data straight to the table without going through the wizard or anything else. Although if the wizard did have to be used it wouldn't be that big of a deal. If anyon...

Organizational Settings in CRM 3.0

CRM and MapPoint

outlook express ME 5.0
Hi! My friend has a computer that we cannot delete any sent messages. Everything else seems to work. He has messages from 2007 that need to be deleted. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks, Leo ...

Reset CRM

Vista CRM 3.0 Desktop client

From Rows to Columun #3
I have data in rows, I want to past to columns so i can import intio access... HELP Example (Current data) 3 42 42 3 38 38 4 22 I want to move to 3 42 42 3 38 38 4 22 THANKS ...

3-rd tools to Recovery edb files
Do you know any good tools to restore single mail or single mailbox from offline backup Exchange database files (edb or stm files). thanks http://www.officerecovery.com/exchangeserver/ -- My Regards, Omar El-Sherif "Luk" <only4news@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eox4HmrPGHA.2828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Do you know any good tools to restore single mail or single mailbox from > offline backup Exchange database files (edb or stm files). > > thanks try http://www.ontrack.co.uk/powercontrols/ - they've been around for a few years now and seem to have a...

CRM registration can not be done!

Transaction Log Files #3
How do I calculate total Transaction Log file size on Exch2k3SP1 when I move mailboxes with, for example, total size of 100MB from one server to another (1 Storage Group, one Mailbox store)? -- Kind regards, Menko den Ouden NL On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:21:04 +0200, "Menko den Ouden" <oudenmd@exor-itNOSPAM.nl> wrote: >How do I calculate total Transaction Log file size on Exch2k3SP1 when I move >mailboxes with, for example, total size of 100MB from one server to another >(1 Storage Group, one Mailbox store)? I always assume "alot". If you are worried...

Outlook changes dates on messages imported from Outlook Express
When importing e-mail messages from Outlook Express into Outlook, some of the original message dates and times are changed to the date and time of the import action. How can I import e-mail messages without losing the original date information? export from oe to outlook and the dates will be correct. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center...

Migrating CRM to CRM

PDF's not traking in crm

Tables in Publisher #3
I am trying to figure out how to get tables in Publisher to auto create a new table on a new page as the table information reaches the end of a page. Auto build the tables. It is possible to do this in Word but I can not seem to find out how to get it to work in Publisher. -- Jeremie B You can't. Publisher recognizes a page, Word doesn't so it just goes on and on. Tables are one of the few areas that Word has the edge over Publisher (but I'm biased). -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Jer...

Crm grid error

CSocket problem #3
How can I use the same CSocket instance to Send and Receive data in different threads? I tried this but run-time error occurs. Alex wrote: > How can I use the same CSocket instance to Send and Receive data in > different threads? > I tried this but run-time error occurs. > > You can't do that. CSocket uses the message pump of the thread in which it was created. Each thread has a different message pump. The same is true for CAsyncSocket, but CAsyncSocket can send and receive concurrently using only one thread. Because it is nonblocking and message-driven you can...

Upgrading to CRM 3.0 Problems