CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0 Upgrade

Hi-

I am looking to upgrade CRM 1.2 to 3.0 in the coming months.  Our current
environment consists of the following.

CRM - Windows 2000 Server, CRM 1.2
SQL - Windows 2000 Server, SQL 2000

I would like to move CRM and SQL onto new servers running Windows 2003
Server.  I will also be upgrading to SQL 2005 on the SQL box.  Can someone
please tell me the recommended upgrade path for this?

Thanks!
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Migrate your existing system to the new servers and validate.

Then upgrade to CRM 3.0 and finally upgrade to sql 2005.

The implementation guide will help you redeploy to new servers. Think of it
as disaster recovery ie your servers have failed and you need to move to new
servers.

you will backup the databases on the old sql server then restore to the new
sql server and on the new web server run the crm 1.2 setup and tell it to
connect to existing database

=======================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm
"SkidooMXZ" <SkidooMXZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi-
>
> I am looking to upgrade CRM 1.2 to 3.0 in the coming months.  Our current
> environment consists of the following.
>
> CRM - Windows 2000 Server, CRM 1.2
> SQL - Windows 2000 Server, SQL 2000
>
> I would like to move CRM and SQL onto new servers running Windows 2003
> Server.  I will also be upgrading to SQL 2005 on the SQL box.  Can someone
> please tell me the recommended upgrade path for this?
>
> Thanks!

0
John
6/2/2006 3:33:30 AM
I would suggest upgrading first.  The process of moving the DBs for v3.0 is
a LOT more straight forward than it was with v1.2(No replication to worry
about).

Once upgraded, you can even consider doing a detach/reattach on the DB from
the SQL 2000 machine to the SQL 2005 machine instead of the backup/restore.
The underlying DB formats are unchanged and this is possible if you want.
You will need to do some manual synch of the SQL logins though between the
servers in either case.  Since all the logins are NT logins, this is a
simple process.

The "new" web server should be isntalled after the DB is moved to the new
SQL 2005 machine and should use the DB on the SQL 2005 machine.  This
process should also help clear up security inconcistencies between the
machines.

--

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

"John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in
message news:em5q22fhGHA.2208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
Migrate your existing system to the new servers and validate.

Then upgrade to CRM 3.0 and finally upgrade to sql 2005.

The implementation guide will help you redeploy to new servers. Think of it
as disaster recovery ie your servers have failed and you need to move to new
servers.

you will backup the databases on the old sql server then restore to the new
sql server and on the new web server run the crm 1.2 setup and tell it to
connect to existing database

=======================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm
"SkidooMXZ" <SkidooMXZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi-
>
> I am looking to upgrade CRM 1.2 to 3.0 in the coming months.  Our current
> environment consists of the following.
>
> CRM - Windows 2000 Server, CRM 1.2
> SQL - Windows 2000 Server, SQL 2000
>
> I would like to move CRM and SQL onto new servers running Windows 2003
> Server.  I will also be upgrading to SQL 2005 on the SQL box.  Can someone
> please tell me the recommended upgrade path for this?
>
> Thanks!

0
Matt
6/3/2006 3:59:11 AM
We have done exactly the same thing within our company.
1. Backed up 1.2 databases in SQL Server 2000 in the old box
2. Installed SQL Server 2005 in the new box with Windows 2003 sp 1
3. Restored 1.2 databases in the new box
4. Installed CRM 1.2 in the new box with SQL 2005 and attached the
databases
5. Tested CRM 1.2 for all the customisations
6. Upgraded CRM 1.2 to CRM 3 following the standard upgrade process.
7. Turned off IIS CRM site on the old box.

Hope this helps.
BC

SkidooMXZ wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I am looking to upgrade CRM 1.2 to 3.0 in the coming months.  Our current
> environment consists of the following.
>
> CRM - Windows 2000 Server, CRM 1.2
> SQL - Windows 2000 Server, SQL 2000
>
> I would like to move CRM and SQL onto new servers running Windows 2003
> Server.  I will also be upgrading to SQL 2005 on the SQL box.  Can someone
> please tell me the recommended upgrade path for this?
>
> Thanks!

0
ExSlx
6/3/2006 10:22:29 AM
Thank you for all responses.  I appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Mike

Upgragding to 1.2 to 1.3
Receiving the media on Monday. Any issues that I should be aware of? Pralell dongle. Best, M Manny, Why not wait til 1.3R due within the next couple of weeks? Otherwise, backup your database and any customized reports and/or receipts. If you get a license violation after the install, just unplug and re-plug in your dongle. -- * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader to see and download the file attachment. If you are not using a reader, follow the link below to setup Outlook Express. Click on "Open wi...

links #2
Who knows a way to un-link those links in a sheet? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements You can convert them to values. If you have xl2002 (or higher???), you can edit|links|Break link. In earlier versions, you can copy|paste special values. And to help find those pesky links: Bill Manville's findlink.zip from: http://www.BMSLtd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm won...

Pocket PC Money 2004 Foreign currency sync #2
Anyone have a clue how to do it? It's a pain living in japan and not being able to update the account I use most on my PPC. Especially since a lot of places in japan don't give receipts, or if they do, they are likley to be in japanese. I don't read japanese and trying to sort things out at the end of the day is a pain, it's be much easier to just enter ther debit when I incur it. --Serp The client only supports the home currency. A serious limitation. -- Michael Gordon MVP "Serpent77" <Serpent77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:67...

CRM Field Names

Upgrade to Exchange 2000 SP1
Hello All I need to upgrade SP 1 on Exchange 2000, I know don't know to do it. Thanks for your attention. You should be looking into SP3 and the latest Roll-up. http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/2000/sp3/default.asp http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E7AAA113-1403-4262-8269-4B2AB9AE5476&displaylang=en If this is a single server download and install. I would make sure Badmail is empty. Other than that nothing special in a single server enviroment well other than making sure your AV is up to date. If your using ADC and other stuff I'd r...

CRM 3.0 and CRM 4.0

OWA Issue #2
I have some internal and external client that can connect to the owa side but get errors on the page which stops them from accessing mail and vieng anything but the subject line. All the clients are running eplorer 6 with all the service packs. The look identical in every way Sounds like there may be some issues with either the Security or Privacy options in Internet Options. I'd check the configuration of a working workstation then compare it against a workstation that isn't working. Also what what particular error message are they getting on that page? >-----Original Messag...

Organizational Settings in CRM 3.0

CRM and MapPoint

borders #2
In a spreadsheet, we have placed "broken-line" borders in red to make them stand out. What I want to do is to make those broken-line borders crawl while the viewer is looking at the spreadsheet on the monitor. How can I make that happen? I think they are called "running ants" or "crawling ants." Mary Lu I think you mean "marching ants" which you see around a copied but not yet pasted area. Also called a "marquee" which is the proper name for it. You cannot replicate this with borders unless you used VBA code which would render your sh...

outlook express ME 5.0
Hi! My friend has a computer that we cannot delete any sent messages. Everything else seems to work. He has messages from 2007 that need to be deleted. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks, Leo ...

Reset CRM

duplicate emails being sent #2
Hello all Runnign exchange sp2 on windows 2003 sp1. I ahve a user who complained that she got an a duplicate email from another user. Both users are on the same exchange server. When i look a message tracking and specify the user who sent the duplicate email, i can see that there are two emails wit hthe same subject and are going to the user who got the duplicate. When i look at the user sent items who sent the duplicate, i only see one email being sent to the user. So Message tracking is saying that there were two emails, but in the users sent items i only see 1. What can i do to try...

Shading and borders with CRichEditCtrl (RTF 1.x)
I'm using a RichEditCtrl (RTF 1.0) in a C++ application (VC6). I can generate the appropriate RTF 'tags' for italic, bold, font-size, color, superscript, etc., but I'm baffled how to generate 'tags' for shading and borders. I tried using Word-2003 to accomplish this formatting, save as RTF, and open with WordPad, but the resulting file is quite large and I'm confused trying to figure out what it is doing. Using the rtf codes below, I want Line 6 to have a border, and Line 7 to be shaded. My expectation is that this file would load into WordPad-XP with this formatt...

Linear Trendline #2
Excel has created a linear trendline with its equations from the following points: X Y 1 4 3 12 6 15 the equations are: y = 2.1053x + 3.3158 R2 = 0.8681 I wonder if you can tell me how excel create this linear trendline from the points shown. Thanks in advance. Maperalia Maperalia - Excel uses "ordinary least squares," i.e., matrix operations that yield coefficients that minimize the sum of squared deviations. For the simple linear case, the results are equivalent to the formulas in Excel's Help for the INTERCEPT and SLOPE worksheet functions. See Excel's Help fo...

From Rows to Columun #3
I have data in rows, I want to past to columns so i can import intio access... HELP Example (Current data) 3 42 42 3 38 38 4 22 I want to move to 3 42 42 3 38 38 4 22 THANKS ...

2 further: capture Event from MS Web browser (shdocvw.dll) 2
Hi all, Thanks for your guidence... >Another way, as shown by Paul Dilaschia might work for you. He >discussed it few years ago in MSDN: >http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/09/c/default.aspx >He simply subclasses the IE window and traps some messages. I suspect >it will do what you are looking for. I have looked that example it was something i was looking for... But ..... My primary concern is to display MS Office documents and PDF document. I have tried to load such documents And they were loaded but was getting crashed In d'tor.... ? Another thing that als...

Vista CRM 3.0 Desktop client

Shipping document #2
Hi, I am using GP 10 with the Country/Region Selection as United States. Since I have a peculiar requirement for shipping documents. I came to know regarding German Shipping documents which will suit my requirement exactly, but it requires Germany as Country/Region Selection. Is there anyway to use this Germany shipping documents eventhough my installation is United States? Anyone has that chunk file which will work in United States installation? Thanks in advance. Madan ...

3-rd tools to Recovery edb files
Do you know any good tools to restore single mail or single mailbox from offline backup Exchange database files (edb or stm files). thanks http://www.officerecovery.com/exchangeserver/ -- My Regards, Omar El-Sherif "Luk" <only4news@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eox4HmrPGHA.2828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Do you know any good tools to restore single mail or single mailbox from > offline backup Exchange database files (edb or stm files). > > thanks try http://www.ontrack.co.uk/powercontrols/ - they've been around for a few years now and seem to have a...

CRM registration can not be done!

Migrating CRM to CRM