Creating new Schema Fields (Error)

I have added about 14 new fields to the Contact Schema.
But now when I try to add another I get and error.  I
checked the event logs at it states that I have exceeded
the SQL Server row limit size of 8000.  Is there a work
around or a way of increasing the size limit on the
table/schema?
0
Raj
1/14/2004 4:06:52 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

The 8000 byte limit is a SQL limitation, not a CRM limitation.  The problem
is, the out of the box schema for Contact is extremely large.  There are a
number of fields that are serveral hundred chars long.

SQL will actually allow you to define a table with fields that "could" be
larger than 8000 (using variable length fields), but you would get an error
if you ever tried to store more data in a single record than this.  CRM
obviously took the route of just preventing this possibility of giving the
user an error for entering too much data by not allowing the schema to be
larger than than 8000.

An obvious solution would be if you could alter the field lengths of
existing columns, but you can't.  Some have tried to re-use OOB fields they
are not using for their prescribed purpose to handle other "custom" fields.

HTH,
Matt

"Raj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have added about 14 new fields to the Contact Schema.
But now when I try to add another I get and error.  I
checked the event logs at it states that I have exceeded
the SQL Server row limit size of 8000.  Is there a work
around or a way of increasing the size limit on the
table/schema?

0
Matt
1/14/2004 5:27:53 PM
Thanks Matt,

I did find a patch on the Microsoft site that will work
with 1.0.  But we are currently using 1.2 and there is no
current patch to fix this problem.

Raj

0
Raj
1/14/2004 6:43:54 PM
Raj,

I'm not aware of any "fix" for this problem.  As I said, it is a limitation
in SQL Server.  I know there was a patch that addressed exporting &
importing schema fields that helped to make the situation worse, but not one
the allows you to go beyond the 8000 bytes.

Thanks Matt,

I did find a patch on the Microsoft site that will work
with 1.0.  But we are currently using 1.2 and there is no
current patch to fix this problem.

Raj

0
Matt
1/14/2004 7:00:26 PM
Here is the posted bug fix for 1.0

us;832753&Product=crm

0
Raj
1/14/2004 7:51:53 PM
As Matt said, this isn't a bug or an issue that can be resolved. This is a
limitation of Microsoft's SQL Server. You simply can not exceed this 8k
limit without causing undesirable results. This patch is related to when
transfering schemas to another server, and does not remove this barrier.

Unfortunatly you're only bet is to have planned ahead and engineer exactly
what fields you need and which ones you can "hijack".

-Gary

> Here is the posted bug fix for 1.0
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
> us;832753&Product=crm

0
Gary
1/14/2004 8:17:00 PM
Raj,

This is the fix I was referring to.  This does not solve the 8,000 limit, it
only fixes the problem of exporting/importing custom schema fields and
having it double the field size in the exported XML.

Matt

"Raj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Here is the posted bug fix for 1.0

us;832753&Product=crm

0
Matt
1/14/2004 11:36:56 PM
It's possible to shrink the size of fields or remove un-needed fields in
order to get enough space.  You can even shrink the size of those
ridiculously large system fields.  However, it involves a lot of manual
mucking with the schema, metabase and crm database.  We do it frequently,
but I wouldn't recommend trying it if you don't know that stuff inside out!
It's easy to break things!

Best bet is probably to do as Matt suggested.

Mike

"Raj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have added about 14 new fields to the Contact Schema.
> But now when I try to add another I get and error.  I
> checked the event logs at it states that I have exceeded
> the SQL Server row limit size of 8000.  Is there a work
> around or a way of increasing the size limit on the
> table/schema?

0
GreaterThanTwo
1/15/2004 5:44:08 PM
I get an error when attempting to create a new field in
the LEAD table.  I'm running 1.2 and the deployment
manager tells me to get more info from the event viewer.

The event viewer is as follows:
"Failed to grant access to the regenerated view Lead
after inserting new attribute CFSepassword."

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Phillip

0
Phillip

create a roster

Compile Error #2
I am currently using Excel 2002. I was given a file, apparently created in Excel 2003. When I try to access the file I get the following message: Compile error: Can't find project or library The developer believes this error is coming up because 2002 doesn't have the same "libraries" as 2003 and that I need to upgrade to 2003. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help. Does the file you have been given contain VBA code? If so, then it would seem that the original creator has 'referenced' another project or library in it. To explain, when this sheet has been create...

xml schema, order unimportant

ms ACCESS 97 error 2645
The error occurs at: Option Compare Database Option Explicit Function CalcRate(frm As Form) Dim Mydb As Database, Myset As Recordset, Cd As String, Intrp As String Dim IRR As Currency, IAHR As Currency, ITR As Currency, Strcriteriaint As String Set Mydb = CurrentDb Set Myset = Mydb.OpenRecordset("LangRate", DB_OPEN_DYNASET) >>>>> Cd = frm.Lang_C <<<<<<<<< The exact error is : Run-Time Error 2465 Application-defined or object-defined error See whether using Cd = frm!Lang_C is any better. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http:...

Task Create - Status

Query on Group field in Pivot Table
I have a large database wherein under Date column, data is in the format "Thu Oct 1 12:00 AM". When I use Pivot Table Under OPTIONS->GROUP-> Group Field is disabled. I used this to group Date field to either present data by Month, quarter at one click. Can anybody guide me why this seems to be disabled here. I want to present my data only by Monthwithout changing the format ""Thu Oct 1 12:00 AM". Thanks Hi Shewta Check you Data Source of your Pivot. it should come up like "Sheet6!$G$1:$I$821" and not like "'\Documents and...

New Store in other country
hi all, we have opened a new store in other foreign country, the problem is this new store will receive stock and sell with his local currancy ( currancy rate 1.2 ). How can we manage this store ( calculate the cost ,reports... etc) in HQ. any help please thanks Get ready for a lot of manual work. The way I handle it is each stoer is in local currency. When I transfer something from location to location, I manually change the costs on the transfer in at the receiving store. "Sad" <Sad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B929754D-D285-42BA-B2D1-03D6D0262902...

Create external database

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 500 Syntax error, command unrecognized
Some people are receiving following or similar "Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 500 Syntax error, command unrecognized" errors while trying to send mail to us. We have ESMTP enabled in our firewall and supports following commands AUTH BDAT BINARYMIME 8BITMIME CHUNKING EHLO ETRN SIZE. Do you know what may be the problem and is there anything we can do to fix it. Thank you for your help. Regards M.T. ...

Update A Field From Another Field
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone can help me on this one. It's probably simple, but I'm stuck!! I have a Table which fills in data from a form with the following field: ReservationNo ReservationName Surname1 Name1 Surname2 Name 2 Sometimes I don't have the names, so fields Name1 and Name 2 are left blank until I check in the guests using the RESPEL form with the following fields RservationNo ReservationName Surname Name Now the ResevationNo and ReservationName have identical data since they are autofilled. What I want to do is if the ReservationNo and the S...

How to create pie chart with %

Sales Process error message in web client
When viewing an opportunity in the web client, if the user goes to activities and then selects the sales process tab (next the activities and history tabs), we get the following error: An error has occurred. Contact your system administrator. No one knows what to do about this. Any suggestions? It would be nice to be able to see the summary like all the books show. Thanks. Hi normally your can solve an error like this one by following this procedure: Clear the Outlook Forms Cache in the Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook client. 1. Open Microsoft Outlook, and then click Options f...

Run-time error 438?
Hello, I am trying to create an edit control for my form. I lock my textboxes in properties and then I created a command button with an event on onclick. My codes are working for most of them expect a few. When I click the button it gives me Run-time error 438. My code is based liked this. Me![Control].Locked=False Private Sub Edit_Record_Click() Me![Drago ID].Locked = False Me![Drago Claim Number].Locked = False Me![Dealer Claim Number].Locked = False Me![Dealer].Locked = False Me![Store].Locked = False Me![Machine Acres].Locked = False Me![Part Fail Date].Locked = False - NOT WORKING ...

how do I copy a range to a new sheet
Now that I this group solved my problem of flagging dates of my club members as "expired", how would I automatically copy all of the members that are expired to a new worksheet so I can use this for a mail merge? I would need to check the condition of the expired column, YES or NO, then copy the yes's name and address columns only to a new page. TIA Why not just add that column and when you use mailmerge, just include the records with that flag set the way you need? If you really want to copy the rows, you could apply Data|Filter|Autofilter and filter to show just those mem...

when form created

Smartlist + Extender Field
I have an extender form with a few fields on it. In smartlist, I can query the information. For all but one field everything is working properly. The last field displays in smartlist as a column but no data actually shows up. If I go to the actual extender form itself, there is data for every record. Any ideas on what the problem might be would be appreciated. What kind of field is it? -- Charles Allen, MVP "JP" wrote: > I have an extender form with a few fields on it. > > In smartlist, I can query the information. For all but one field > everything is working pr...

Outlook notification of new mail.
To clarify, the notification works for new messages to Inbox, but fails to display the icon when the message is automatically moved to a subfolder based on a rule. A quick look in Google seems to to suggest that this is something that has been deliberately changed from Outlook XP. Cheers Paul <paul.francis@agresearch.co.nz> wrote: > To clarify, the notification works for new messages to > Inbox, but fails to display the icon when the message is > automatically moved to a subfolder based on a rule. A > quick look in Google seems to to suggest that this is > somethin...

How do you edit HTML source in a new outlook email message?
Trying to create a new email message by inserting HTML. I don't see a place to edit source for a new message. This is probably a really easy thing to do, I just can't find out where the "edit source" option is, and the help files don't seem to be any help. Thanks, Justin The feature doesn't exist in Microsoft Outlook. "justinvanderpol" <justinvanderpol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ADC71DF-40BC-4656-98A8-A473EB40E837@microsoft.com... > Trying to create a new email message by inserting HTML. I don't see a > place ...

Creating a Brochure

New POP3 E-Mail Account Deliver Folder
I have both an Exchange Account and a (personal) POP3 account that I check using Outlook 2003. Currently, both accounts drop new e-mail into my Exchange Inbox - and I have a rule that moves the POP3 e-mail to a personal folder inbox. Problem is, rules don't run when I'm not connected to the Exchange server. Is it possible to have the POP3 account post new e-mails to the personal folder, while keeping the Exchange account posting new e-mails to the exchange inbox? Thanks; Michael Have you tried to set up a personal folder specifically for the pop account and set the exchange acc...