Creating new record types in CRM 3.0 possible?

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to create a new record type within
CRM 3.0 because although the default CRM record types will be used
(like client and business) our current database has all of the
information for both in the same database.

The idea is to create a 'temp' record type for us to add the database
to, and then allow us to go through the database and move/link the
information from the 'temp' record type into the correct record type
afterwards.

Is this at all possible or is there another simple solution to this
problem?

Thanks
Hez

Sorry if this question has already been answered, in one topic i did
see mention of this being available in the new version of CRM but im
not sure which version they ment and if it was 3.0

0
Hez
10/24/2006 2:02:34 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You can create new record types in CRM 3.0 -- these are called custom
entities. However, this doesn't sound like the best way to get your current
data into the proper place. If you import your client and business data into
one 'temp' custom entity, there will be no easy way to "move/link the
information from the 'temp' record type into the correct record type
afterwards" as you wrote. You are better off separating the two different
record types beforehand into two separate tables, and importing them directly
into the appropriate record type in CRM.
--
Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP
http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com

"Hez" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to create a new record type within
> CRM 3.0 because although the default CRM record types will be used
> (like client and business) our current database has all of the
> information for both in the same database.
>
> The idea is to create a 'temp' record type for us to add the database
> to, and then allow us to go through the database and move/link the
> information from the 'temp' record type into the correct record type
> afterwards.
>
> Is this at all possible or is there another simple solution to this
> problem?
>
> Thanks
> Hez
>
> Sorry if this question has already been answered, in one topic i did
> see mention of this being available in the new version of CRM but im
> not sure which version they ment and if it was 3.0

Thanks Matt,

We will be separating the database into the different types outside of
CRM as you recommended but also we will be using custom entities (didnt
realise they named them differently) so cheers for the quick and
helpful response.

Hez

MattNC wrote:
> You can create new record types in CRM 3.0 -- these are called custom
> entities. However, this doesn't sound like the best way to get your current
> data into the proper place. If you import your client and business data into
> one 'temp' custom entity, there will be no easy way to "move/link the
> information from the 'temp' record type into the correct record type
> afterwards" as you wrote. You are better off separating the two different
> record types beforehand into two separate tables, and importing them directly
> into the appropriate record type in CRM.
> --
> Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP
> http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com
>

> "Hez" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if it is possible to create a new record type within
> > CRM 3.0 because although the default CRM record types will be used
> > (like client and business) our current database has all of the
> > information for both in the same database.
> >
> > The idea is to create a 'temp' record type for us to add the database
> > to, and then allow us to go through the database and move/link the
> > information from the 'temp' record type into the correct record type
> > afterwards.
> >
> > Is this at all possible or is there another simple solution to this
> > problem?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Hez
> >
> > Sorry if this question has already been answered, in one topic i did
> > see mention of this being available in the new version of CRM but im
> > not sure which version they ment and if it was 3.0

0
Hez

create a roster

I can't type all the symbols
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I wanted to type the letter e with a symbol indicating the long vowel sound. In the Symbols menu I find some vowels with symbols over them (but not the one I want), and other pronunciation symbols with no letter under them. One of them seems to be the long-vowel symbol. How can I type the symbol so that it appears over the letter? In article <59bb7ddc.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>, <andreajackson123@charter.net@officeformac.com> wrote: >I wanted to >type the letter e with a symbol indicating...

Print Autocomplete list
I am using Outlook 2003 and have been unable to find out any way of viewing and printing a copy of all of the entries in the Autocomplete list. Is this possible? A reference to a helpfull article or tutorial would be appreciated. TIA There's this tool which may help: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_autocomplete.html "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:h99lja$fdl$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > I am using Outlook 2003 and have been unable to find out any way of > viewing and printing a copy of all of the entries in the Autocomplete > lis...

Task Create - Status

New Store in other country
hi all, we have opened a new store in other foreign country, the problem is this new store will receive stock and sell with his local currancy ( currancy rate 1.2 ). How can we manage this store ( calculate the cost ,reports... etc) in HQ. any help please thanks Get ready for a lot of manual work. The way I handle it is each stoer is in local currency. When I transfer something from location to location, I manually change the costs on the transfer in at the receiving store. "Sad" <Sad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B929754D-D285-42BA-B2D1-03D6D0262902...

Customizing CRM look and feel
Is there a way to 'brand' or otherwise give the CRM application the look and feel of our enterprise web site? I see multiple posts about using the CRM sytleguide to give CRM look and feel to custom pages, but I don't see anything about customizing CRM to take on a custom look and feel. It doesn't have to be wholesale changes to the UI, I'm just looking to at least slip in a logo and possibly a footer with a disclaimer/trademark kind of thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. SpencerW I would venture to say in the ISV.config file. You can buttons to the men...

Business Logic Extensions to Microsoft CRM 1.2: Post-Callouts works only with the CRM
hi, i extendet my ms crm organisation with own written business logic. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crmpostcalloutsv1d2.asp so far so fine, but it works only with the crm-admin user account. all other users makes no impact on saving the organisation. any ideas? thx urb ...

Create external database

How to create pie chart with %

Continuous form record number
I have a form whose default view is 'continuous form'. Then when I click a button I need to delete the record where the mouse is (was just) placed. How can I find out the record number? Alternatively any idea is welcome. Thanks Henry "H. Martins" <hjrmartins@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b4ab14e1-51c6-4c16-8a78-bc7df76670de@k31g2000vbu.googlegroups.com... >I have a form whose default view is 'continuous form'. > > Then when I click a button I need to delete the record where the mouse > is (was just) placed. > > Ho...

how do I copy a range to a new sheet
Now that I this group solved my problem of flagging dates of my club members as "expired", how would I automatically copy all of the members that are expired to a new worksheet so I can use this for a mail merge? I would need to check the condition of the expired column, YES or NO, then copy the yes's name and address columns only to a new page. TIA Why not just add that column and when you use mailmerge, just include the records with that flag set the way you need? If you really want to copy the rows, you could apply Data|Filter|Autofilter and filter to show just those mem...

when form created

Insert Record
Sir i want to insert record one sheet cells into another sheets cells through command button. after saving data second data will save on next row Try this with Command Button on Sheet1: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Dim LRow As Long Dim MyCell As String LRow = Sheet2.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row If IsEmpty(Sheet2.Cells(LRow, 1)) Then LRow = LRow Else LRow = LRow + 1 End If MyCell = ActiveCell.Address Sheet2.Cells(LRow, 1).Value = ActiveCell.Value Sheet1.Range(MyCell).Activate End Sub Mike F "Sohail khan" <Sohail khan@discus...

excel crashing #3
I have windows XP and Excel 2003 with all the latest service packs. When I am trying to save an excel file to a floppy it always lock up after 3 or 4 times. Excel will just crash and it would take a restart of the whole computer before it will act right. I have tried other floppies, copying a different file all together from excel, swapping drives, reinstalling the whole office suite, reinstalling McAfee Virus Scan, etc. I did notice that it is something with excel and the floppy drive as a whole because I could copy all day long to the floppy random files from word, my c drive, a few f...

Outlook notification of new mail.
To clarify, the notification works for new messages to Inbox, but fails to display the icon when the message is automatically moved to a subfolder based on a rule. A quick look in Google seems to to suggest that this is something that has been deliberately changed from Outlook XP. Cheers Paul <paul.francis@agresearch.co.nz> wrote: > To clarify, the notification works for new messages to > Inbox, but fails to display the icon when the message is > automatically moved to a subfolder based on a rule. A > quick look in Google seems to to suggest that this is > somethin...

Formula Help Please #3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C3EA1F.730C0840 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I want to add a new worksheet and need to copy the formulas from the old = one to the new one. How do I do this? Thanks Jim ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C3EA1F.730C0840 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-T...

How do you edit HTML source in a new outlook email message?
Trying to create a new email message by inserting HTML. I don't see a place to edit source for a new message. This is probably a really easy thing to do, I just can't find out where the "edit source" option is, and the help files don't seem to be any help. Thanks, Justin The feature doesn't exist in Microsoft Outlook. "justinvanderpol" <justinvanderpol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ADC71DF-40BC-4656-98A8-A473EB40E837@microsoft.com... > Trying to create a new email message by inserting HTML. I don't see a > place ...

CRM Service Activity Outlook Calendar Sync Broken
Hi. All was fine until yesterday but now items on the Outlook calendar no longer appear to be tied to the service activities that created them. When I click on a calendar entry it opens an ordinary appointment view of what should be a service activity. Also, the "track in CRM" button seems to do nothing. A newly created service activity will appear on the calendar, but will exhibit the same characteristics described above. Any ideas on how to fix? I've considered reinstalling the CRM client for Outlook or possibly creating a new Outlook profile. Any thoughts would be...

Creating a Brochure