Changing a custom field length

We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom
section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar
datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar.
I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled
nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please
help me with this??

Affy

0
Affy
11/2/2006 8:14:58 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Unfortunately you'll have to recreate the field, as you can neither increse
the length of a text field nor change it's format after it's been created.

Then there's a question of what to do with any existing data in the field.
Although it's unsupported, I'd be quite happy just using a SQL update command
to copy values from the old field to the new one, taking appropriate backups
first

"Affy" wrote:

> We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom
> section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar
> datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar.
> I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled
> nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please
> help me with this??
>
> Affy

Thanks David, I would give it a try. I would also like to know that if
I could change the field column in the table directly and also import
the modified customization in to the CRM. I haven't given a try, but it
just came just now after reading ur message

Aftab

David Jennaway wrote:
> Unfortunately you'll have to recreate the field, as you can neither increse
> the length of a text field nor change it's format after it's been created.
>
> Then there's a question of what to do with any existing data in the field.
> Although it's unsupported, I'd be quite happy just using a SQL update command
> to copy values from the old field to the new one, taking appropriate backups
> first
>
> "Affy" wrote:
>
> > We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom
> > section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar
> > datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar.
> > I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled
> > nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please
> > help me with this??
> >
> > Affy

0
Affy
11/2/2006 4:00:33 PM
Changing the field length after the fact is quite complicated and goes
beyond just changing the feild length.  The length is stored in several
places within the DB Metadata and you need to find them all in order to do
this correctly.  In the end, it is probably quicker to create the new field
and copy the data.

--

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

David Jennaway wrote:
> Unfortunately you'll have to recreate the field, as you can neither
> increse
> the length of a text field nor change it's format after it's been created.
>
> Then there's a question of what to do with any existing data in the field.
> Although it's unsupported, I'd be quite happy just using a SQL update
> command
> to copy values from the old field to the new one, taking appropriate
> backups
> first
>
> "Affy" wrote:
>
> > We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom
> > section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar
> > datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar.
> > I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled
> > nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please
> > help me with this??
> >
> > Affy

0
Matt
11/2/2006 4:17:43 PM
Affy
NO!  Don't do it!  The metabase (forms, etc.) and the DB would be out
of sync...  You have to create a new field that has the proper
length...
HTH,
Dave

Affy wrote:
> Thanks David, I would give it a try. I would also like to know that if
> I could change the field column in the table directly and also import
> the modified customization in to the CRM. I haven't given a try, but it
> just came just now after reading ur message
>
> Aftab
>
> David Jennaway wrote:
> > Unfortunately you'll have to recreate the field, as you can neither increse
> > the length of a text field nor change it's format after it's been created.
> >
> > Then there's a question of what to do with any existing data in the field.
> > Although it's unsupported, I'd be quite happy just using a SQL update command
> > to copy values from the old field to the new one, taking appropriate backups
> > first
> >
> > "Affy" wrote:
> >
> > > We have created a custom section and there is a field (in that custom
> > > section) whose length has to be changed from 100 to 500 of nvarchar
> > > datatype, but the interface does not allow more than 100 for nvarchar.
> > > I couldnt modify the format of textbox to textarea as it is disabled
> > > nor i can change the datatype to another datatype. can anybody please
> > > help me with this??
> > >
> > > Affy

0
Dave

how create sum function in form field
I'm trying to utilize the sum function in a field on an Outlook 2002 form. I want the form field to sum up the other form fields. Sum is not a function listed in the value tab. Please advise. ...

External data link change

Custom Command Bars
I've figured out a way to add custom commands to the ROWS or CELLS commandbars, but I only seem to be able to add one. Can someone help me figure out how to add multiple custom commands to one of those command bars? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Hi, Copie this in a general module It's working in Excel 2003 and Excel 2007 '----------------------------- Sub test() Dim MBar As CommandBar Set MBar = Application.CommandBars("Column") 'OR 'Set MBar = Application.CommandBars("Row") With MBar With .Controls.Add .BeginGroup...

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

enterprise custom field for overdue tasks
I'm trying to create a view that shows overdue tasks and am having some trouble. I went into enterprise custom fields and tried to create a new Task > Date field with the following formula :IIf([Finish]<[Current Date] And [% Complete]<100,"red","green"). Now I would expect it to populate that field with either "red" or "green" depending on if it meets the criteria. Furthermore I would like to use graphical indicators to show red or green stoplights. However, I cannot get this formula to work - When I add the new field to a ...

more on VBA function name change

Filter contact records by customer type code in views
In version 1.2 I had set up several views of contact records by customer type code. In 3.0 this field cannot be selected as filtering criteria. While the views I had set up in 1.2 work, that cannot be changed. Is there a reason this field is no longer avialable under 3.0? This field is listed attribute. Is there a way to may it appear? Thanks for any help you can give. Brand Microsoft CRM Support maybe of help with this one, try submiting a incident for this. Good luck. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. www.workopia.com "Brand" wrote: > In version 1.2 I had set up several v...

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Removing a custom Toolbar Button & macro
I've put macro in module, then make a custom button on the toolbar to invoke a macro.(according to excel help) -------------------------------------- Create a toolbar button that runs your macro 1. On the Tools menu, click Customize, and then click the Commands tab. 2. Under Categories, click Macros. 3. Drag the custom button to the toolbar where you want it. 4. On the Customize dialog box, click Modify Selection, and then click Assign Macro. 5. In the Assign Macro dialog box, click the nam...

Paying a vendor that is also a customer
I have a customer that I sometimes buy materials from. How can I show a deduction from an invoice as payment for materials. Or is this not possible in Money because it is an income and expense in the same transaction? ...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Exporting a date field in Excel to an Outlook Calendar?
Is this possible? ...

Empty Custom Dynamic Dist. Group
Hi all, We are currently trying to finalize our Exchange 2007 deployment but have hit a few problems we can't figure out. The main problem is empty dynamic distribution groups (setup to use a custom filter) I run the following PS command; set-dynamicdistributiongroup -Identity 'AllStaff' -RecipientFilter {(Description -eq 'Staff User' -or Description -eq 'System Administrators')} The command completes without errors but there are no users in this distribution group when I view its members in OWA.. I have copied the msExchDynamicDLFilter property to ADUC Saved...

Should I change this code?

symbols won't work in form fields
I have Access 2002. We write a lot of letters in French and as I have a QWERTY keyboard, we have shortcuts for the french letters which are missing from the keyboard. For example Ctrl + e is e with an accute accent, Alt + e is e with a grave accent, and so on. It all works just fine in WORD. But in my forms in my ACCESS database, in my fill-in fields, the shortcuts simply don't work. And there is no "symbol" option available in the tool bar to insert a symbol or French character. Is there any way I can add this function in to the database ? thanks .. Roger ...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change