Can the MSDN version of CRM 1.2 be converted to a production system without losing any data?

I have the MSDN version of CRM. If I install it and configure a pilot
system, can I later convert it to a full licensed system without losing any
data? Does it require a new installation or just change the Company Name and
License Key?

Bill Walter

0
Bill
12/17/2003 4:33:27 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Bill,

You would need to migrate the data to the new install.  The AD objects & DB
Names are tied to the Org Name so you can't change them once they're
installed.  You're best bet would probably be to use the DMF to load the
data to the new install.

BTW, I believe, technically, that using the MSDN license for a Pilot is not
allowed under the licensing.

Matt

"Bill Walter" <wqwalter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I have the MSDN version of CRM. If I install it and configure a pilot
system, can I later convert it to a full licensed system without losing any
data? Does it require a new installation or just change the Company Name and
License Key?

Bill Walter

0
Matt
12/17/2003 4:21:27 PM
Thanks, I guess what you are saying is I can salvage the work I do, but it
is going to take a manual migration. Microsoft should realize that in the
real world companies from time to time change their names ether to cover up
things or because they are sold to someone else. Changing a company name
should not require a complete export and reimport of all data records that
the previous organization owned.

When I say a pilot, I am mainly talking about getting enough data into the
system to try it to see if it provides us enough benefit to begin to use it.
After all the dead ends I went through in trying to use CRM 1.0 in our
environment when we had already completely converted to Windows 2003, I
don't have a real good feeling for the product. Microsoft had been working
on Windows 2003 probably since 1999, and definitely during the period that
CRM was developed. It is just hard to believe that Microsoft's own product
was so incompatible with Windows 2003 and also broke the side-by-side
compatibility of .NET 1.0 and .NET 1.1.

Bill Walter

"Matt Parks" <mattp65@removetoX_Xyahoo.Com> wrote in message
> Bill,
>
> You would need to migrate the data to the new install.  The AD objects &
DB
> Names are tied to the Org Name so you can't change them once they're
> installed.  You're best bet would probably be to use the DMF to load the
> data to the new install.
>
> BTW, I believe, technically, that using the MSDN license for a Pilot is
not
> allowed under the licensing.
>
> Matt
>
> "Bill Walter" <wqwalter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have the MSDN version of CRM. If I install it and configure a pilot
> system, can I later convert it to a full licensed system without losing
any
> data? Does it require a new installation or just change the Company Name
and
> License Key?
>
> Bill Walter

0
Bill

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Integration Manager error #2
Is anyone familiar with this error from the Itegration Manager: "DOC 1 ERROR: Could not locate the Integration Manager sanScript library." I get this when running a payroll transaction integreation. The import file is a flat text file located on a network drive. IM runs other integrations on this PC. Regards, - Greg Crowe ...

CRM 4.0
Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I'm not able to translate all labels with the “export labels for translation” function and Microsoft Excel. a. When exporting translations and adding translations in the language specific column (1033 / English in my situation) not all labels get translated. Most labels get translated, but for example the following did not: i. ‘Beheer’ --> ‘Administration’ (Name of a tab on the Task entity ii. ‘Interne gegevens’ à ‘Internal Information’ (Name of a section on many different enti...

Text Box #2
I inserted a text box in excel using the click and drag text from the tool bar and entered the relevant comments in english and as soon as I finish the language changes to German. I have done all the basic stuff like clearing any formats, removing the text box and inserting a new box, checking langauge settings etc, but nothing works. I have than inserted 2 more text boxes in the same manner and typed the text in english and these have been fine. Can anyone tell what could be causing this problem? ...

Can't send/receive

97 vs 97 SR-2
What are the basic differences between Excel 97 and 97 SR-2? This MSKB article provides the storied history of Excel 97 patches and links to more detailed information about the changes made: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232652&Product=xlw -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Tim2" <Tim2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3BFA00FD-9E36-4FEB-B558-EB781563A591@microsoft.com... | What are the basic differences between Excel 97 and 97 SR-2? ...

need to chart sum of 2 rows in worksheet
I have a worksheet in which I have 12 columns to represent the months and my expense categories in the rows below. The last row is a Total row of all the expenses above it. One of the values I want to represent in a 12-month line graph is the Total row less the Misc Expense row. How can I graph this without creating a new row in my worksheet to hold just this calculated value? I'm very comfortable with writing macros if that's what it will take to accomplish this. Thanks, Barry ...

Can not Customize Leads View

timesheet entry error #2
When we enter timesheets, we get the error that the pay code does not exist for the employee in the rate table. I looked at the KB 874621 as well and everything checks out. We get our cost and billing from employee rate table. Surprisingly we are getting this error for the project for all the employees. Apart from making sure that the employee with his salary paycode (as he is a salary employee) is defined in the rate table, what else can I check? ...

Blocking mouse clicks #2
In some lengthy operations, I want to change the cursor to a WaitCursor. I'm using Martyn's CPersistentCursor to hold this WaitCursor. http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/persistentwaitcursor.asp But for my surprise, a WaitCursor don't block the mouse clicks. How could I achieve this? What's wrong with BeginWaitCursor() and EndWaitCursor()? AliR. "Renegade" <renegade@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23xWfY4pRFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > In some lengthy operations, I want to change the cursor to a WaitCursor. > I'm using Martyn's CPersi...

Bulk attachments

Publisher file won't open #2
I worked for three hours then Publsher crashed. I had saved my file, but when I trie to open it it says problem with file, do you want to report it, and then reboots Publisher. How can I save my work? Using Publisher 2003. You may send the file to me. If I can open it I'll save it for you. If it crashes my system, you may be SOL. (Surely out of luck.) If you want to accept my offer, send it to jl dot paules at gmail at com. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Don Smith" <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:r4ns615gkmkm12q5or5nd0k70gac5stjbc@4ax....

CRM 3.0 and embedded images
I have two issues in CRM that relate to how CRM works with embedded images or how CRM works with embedded images. First issue is that when I use an enbedded image in my Outlook signature, I get an error that the email cannot be promoted to CRM so I can either send the email without tracking it in CRM or I can remove the signature and then it works. Second issues is that when people reply to an email that is being tracked in CRM via a tracking token, if there are any images or pictures in the reply then the email is no longer tracked in CRM. You manually have to add the reply email t...

Can Not Reply To Emails

Can't delete email #2

even more crm login errors related to business unit
Hi everyone, I am trying to login to our crm dev enviroment with a user who has basic access. I get an "access is denied" error. what I did was change his business unit and he was able to login. Now my question is what could be wrong with that particular business unit that would cause users to login errors. I'm new to the crm enviroment so thanks for the help Mark I think you will find that user no longer has a "ROLE". When you change the business unit you need to assign the user a new role from the new business unit. Guy. "acdmark" <acdmark@discu...

Outlook 2002 Version Problem
9/19/04 Need Help! We have a personal computer but can not get my name deleted in the field named owner, and cannot get Outlook activated to perform tasks. Reminder feature and alarm does not work either. I want a different name to appear on Untitled Task screen when someone else is entering info. for a task to be done either as a reminder to one's self or emailing that task to be done by someone else at a different personal computer that is not connected to a company network. I don't know a lot about Outlook so can tasks be assigned for yourself and as reminders as well as...

Unable to send e-mails #2
As soon as I hit "send & receive", I get a message from the System Administrator saying my e-mail is "undileverable" with the following text: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: Mid-Atlantic Weekly Report 10/8 Sent: 10/10/2004 7:26 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'Scott Frigaard' on 10/10/2004 7:26 AM 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1) 'Andy Aweida' on 10/10/2004 7:26 AM 553 sorry, that domain isn...

How can I rename a database table?