Can teams own records ? Inconsistency between several documents (CRM installation & Customisation exam)

Hi,

I have tumbled on a inconsistency between the CRM application UI, the book
"Using Microsoft CRM" and Microsoft documents. I wouldn't make a big fuzz
about it, if it wasn't that this is a question in 1 of the CRM exam's.

Simple Question: Can records be owned by teams ? This is asked several times
in the CRM exam (it is sometimes a part of a question).

However:

- "Special Edition - Using Microsoft CRM" says: "Teams cannot be owners of
records..." on page 81.

- The user interface of MSCRM doesn't allow a Team to be the owner of a
record (ex. Customer record).

- The document "Microsoft CRM Product Architecture" says: "... all entities
that can be owned by users can also be owned by teams." (page 16)

- The SDK talks about two primary security principals: Users and Teams, both
Users and Teams can own records.

I looked in the microsoft.public.crm newsgroup, and some say teams can own
records, others say they can't.

My question: What do i have to answer on the exam ???? In my opinion Teams
CAN OWN RECORDS. However, if you look at the CRM application itself (not the
SDK but the UI): Teams CAN'T OWN RECORDS.

Anybody have any idea's ?

Kind regards,

Koen Bijttebier

Belgium

0
me8028 (83)
6/10/2004 2:51:15 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

This was really a last minute cut and that's why you see some inconsistency
in the documentation and in the APIs. Teams cannot own objects in V1 and
that functionality will not be restored in V2. The  application itself has
disabled the ability to assign objects to teams since it was shipped, but
the platform interfaces still appear to accept a team as an owner. Look at
the <ownerid> attribute on most owned entities, you'll see a type XML
attribute that can be either 8 or 9 depending on the documentation you
read - in reality the platform will only happily deal with type 8 (user).
Your mileage may vary though. Since this was a last minute cut there might
be a few places where team ownership is still allowed. I wouldn't rely on it
working very well though.

Mj

"Koen" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have tumbled on a inconsistency between the CRM application UI, the book
> "Using Microsoft CRM" and Microsoft documents. I wouldn't make a big fuzz
> about it, if it wasn't that this is a question in 1 of the CRM exam's.
>

> Simple Question: Can records be owned by teams ? This is asked several
times
> in the CRM exam (it is sometimes a part of a question).
>
> However:
>
> - "Special Edition - Using Microsoft CRM" says: "Teams cannot be owners of
> records..." on page 81.
>
> - The user interface of MSCRM doesn't allow a Team to be the owner of a
> record (ex. Customer record).
>
> - The document "Microsoft CRM Product Architecture" says: "... all
entities
> that can be owned by users can also be owned by teams." (page 16)
>
> - The SDK talks about two primary security principals: Users and Teams,
both
> Users and Teams can own records.
>

> I looked in the microsoft.public.crm newsgroup, and some say teams can own
> records, others say they can't.
>
> My question: What do i have to answer on the exam ???? In my opinion Teams
> CAN OWN RECORDS. However, if you look at the CRM application itself (not t
he
> SDK but the UI): Teams CAN'T OWN RECORDS.
>

> Anybody have any idea's ?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Koen Bijttebier
>
> Belgium

0
Mj
6/10/2004 3:55:45 PM
Teams cannot own records. Only users can own records. In the
application you can look at the owner field, it will always be a user
name. Records can be shared with teams. Hope that helps.

"Koen" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<40c8759d$0$8393$a0ced6e1@news.skynet.be>...
> Hi,
>
> I have tumbled on a inconsistency between the CRM application UI, the book
> "Using Microsoft CRM" and Microsoft documents. I wouldn't make a big fuzz
> about it, if it wasn't that this is a question in 1 of the CRM exam's.
>

> Simple Question: Can records be owned by teams ? This is asked several times
> in the CRM exam (it is sometimes a part of a question).
>
> However:
>
> - "Special Edition - Using Microsoft CRM" says: "Teams cannot be owners of
> records..." on page 81.
>
> - The user interface of MSCRM doesn't allow a Team to be the owner of a
> record (ex. Customer record).
>
> - The document "Microsoft CRM Product Architecture" says: "... all entities
> that can be owned by users can also be owned by teams." (page 16)
>
> - The SDK talks about two primary security principals: Users and Teams, both
> Users and Teams can own records.
>

> I looked in the microsoft.public.crm newsgroup, and some say teams can own
> records, others say they can't.
>
> My question: What do i have to answer on the exam ???? In my opinion Teams
> CAN OWN RECORDS. However, if you look at the CRM application itself (not the
> SDK but the UI): Teams CAN'T OWN RECORDS.
>

> Anybody have any idea's ?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Koen Bijttebier
>
> Belgium
0
discussion11
6/10/2004 8:36:06 PM
Hi,

I can understand that there are differences between documentation. But what
puzzels me is: what do i have to answer on the exam?? What documentation was
used by Microsoft (or other compamy) to create the exam questions: the good,
or the wrong documentation....

Koen

"Mj Miller" <remove.this.mikemill@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This was really a last minute cut and that's why you see some
inconsistency
> in the documentation and in the APIs. Teams cannot own objects in V1 and
> that functionality will not be restored in V2. The  application itself has
> disabled the ability to assign objects to teams since it was shipped, but
> the platform interfaces still appear to accept a team as an owner. Look at
> the <ownerid> attribute on most owned entities, you'll see a type XML
> attribute that can be either 8 or 9 depending on the documentation you
> read - in reality the platform will only happily deal with type 8 (user).
> Your mileage may vary though. Since this was a last minute cut there might
> be a few places where team ownership is still allowed. I wouldn't rely on
it
> working very well though.
>
> Mj
>
> "Koen" <me@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have tumbled on a inconsistency between the CRM application UI, the
book
> > "Using Microsoft CRM" and Microsoft documents. I wouldn't make a big
fuzz
> > about it, if it wasn't that this is a question in 1 of the CRM exam's.
> >

> > Simple Question: Can records be owned by teams ? This is asked several
> times
> > in the CRM exam (it is sometimes a part of a question).
> >
> > However:
> >
> > - "Special Edition - Using Microsoft CRM" says: "Teams cannot be owners
of
> > records..." on page 81.
> >
> > - The user interface of MSCRM doesn't allow a Team to be the owner of a
> > record (ex. Customer record).
> >
> > - The document "Microsoft CRM Product Architecture" says: "... all
> entities
> > that can be owned by users can also be owned by teams." (page 16)
> >
> > - The SDK talks about two primary security principals: Users and Teams,
> both
> > Users and Teams can own records.
> >

> > I looked in the microsoft.public.crm newsgroup, and some say teams can
own
> > records, others say they can't.
> >
> > My question: What do i have to answer on the exam ???? In my opinion
Teams
> > CAN OWN RECORDS. However, if you look at the CRM application itself (not
> he
> > SDK but the UI): Teams CAN'T OWN RECORDS.
> >

> > Anybody have any idea's ?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Koen Bijttebier
> >
> > Belgium

0
Koen
6/11/2004 2:42:40 PM
How does the use of Territories come into play?

Thanks

0
Steve
6/21/2004 8:32:00 PM
Teams *CANNOT* own records, and in the CRM exams you must answer as
such.  Records can be shared with teams, but not assigned to them.

Territories really have no bearing on this issue.  Territories are
assigned to salespeople and to account records (so you can say that a
customer is in a certain region, and that region is managed by
so-and-so) but again records cannot be owned by territories.

Hope this helps.

"Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<2adb01c457ce$ce3e5ed0$3a01280a@phx.gbl>...
> How does the use of Territories come into play?
>
> Thanks

0
peter
6/22/2004 9:19:27 AM
Just to add a few more thoughts:

Keep in mind that there is a difference between what the application does
and what the SDK (platform) supports. These differences are clearly noted in
the SDK documentation:
For example (quote from SDK:

“Microsoft CRM defines a security principal as an entity that can
effectively "own" or "access" an object within the system. There are two
primary types of security principals within Microsoft CRM: users and teams.
The CSecurityPrincipal class is used in many APIs, such as GrantAccess and
Assign. With few exceptions, all entities that can be owned by users can also
be owned by teams.

Note   The Microsoft CRM application does not support assignment of objects
to teams.”

The question you may need to ask is whether or not it is clear in the exam
whether they are referring to the application or the SDK.

Hope this helps.

"Peter Lee" wrote:

> Teams *CANNOT* own records, and in the CRM exams you must answer as
> such.  Records can be shared with teams, but not assigned to them.
>
> Territories really have no bearing on this issue.  Territories are
> assigned to salespeople and to account records (so you can say that a
> customer is in a certain region, and that region is managed by
> so-and-so) but again records cannot be owned by territories.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<2adb01c457ce$ce3e5ed0$3a01280a@phx.gbl>...
> > How does the use of Territories come into play?
> >
> > Thanks

To answer the question posed in Cynthia's response, the CRM certification
exams are referring to ownership of records within the application.  As
such, only users can own records.  Teams can be used for record sharing, but
they can never own a record.
--
Regards,

Tony Frink
Content Project Manager - CRM
Global Training & Content Development
Microsoft Business Solutions

Note: Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

"Cynthia Slotta [MSFT]" <cslotta@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just to add a few more thoughts:
>
> Keep in mind that there is a difference between what the application does
> and what the SDK (platform) supports. These differences are clearly noted
in
> the SDK documentation:
> For example (quote from SDK:
>
> "Microsoft CRM defines a security principal as an entity that can
> effectively "own" or "access" an object within the system. There are two
> primary types of security principals within Microsoft CRM: users and
teams.
> The CSecurityPrincipal class is used in many APIs, such as GrantAccess and
> Assign. With few exceptions, all entities that can be owned by users can
also
> be owned by teams.
>
> Note   The Microsoft CRM application does not support assignment of
objects
> to teams."
>
> The question you may need to ask is whether or not it is clear in the exam
> whether they are referring to the application or the SDK.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> "Peter Lee" wrote:
>
> > Teams *CANNOT* own records, and in the CRM exams you must answer as
> > such.  Records can be shared with teams, but not assigned to them.
> >
> > Territories really have no bearing on this issue.  Territories are
> > assigned to salespeople and to account records (so you can say that a
> > customer is in a certain region, and that region is managed by
> > so-and-so) but again records cannot be owned by territories.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > How does the use of Territories come into play?
> > >
> > > Thanks

0
Tony

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

CRM 4.0
Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? I'm not able to translate all labels with the “export labels for translation” function and Microsoft Excel. a. When exporting translations and adding translations in the language specific column (1033 / English in my situation) not all labels get translated. Most labels get translated, but for example the following did not: i. ‘Beheer’ --> ‘Administration’ (Name of a tab on the Task entity ii. ‘Interne gegevens’ à ‘Internal Information’ (Name of a section on many different enti...

Can't send/receive

Special offer on exams for UK customers at Allitcertkiller.co.uk
Special offer on exams for UK customers at http://www.Allitcertkiller.co.uk ...

Can not Customize Leads View

Query to join records according to "hierarchy"
I didn't know how else to describe it. I have records with this structure: Fields: Name; Last Name; Group John; Brown; 1-1 Carl; Rogers; 1-1 Brian; Mann; 1-2 Charles; Grant; 2-1 Eddie; Murphy; 2-2 Carmen; Elec; 3-1 Ellen; Smith; 3-2 ......and so on What I need is to combine the field Name in group 1-1 to 1-2, 2-2, 3-2. Then 2-1 with 2-2, 3-2. Then 3-1 with 3-2. Is this possible? If so, how can I do it? Thanks for the help. On Jul 4, 11:55 am, sergio.prin...@gmail.com wrote: > I didn't know...

Bulk attachments

Can't delete email #2

CRM 3.0 and embedded images
I have two issues in CRM that relate to how CRM works with embedded images or how CRM works with embedded images. First issue is that when I use an enbedded image in my Outlook signature, I get an error that the email cannot be promoted to CRM so I can either send the email without tracking it in CRM or I can remove the signature and then it works. Second issues is that when people reply to an email that is being tracked in CRM via a tracking token, if there are any images or pictures in the reply then the email is no longer tracked in CRM. You manually have to add the reply email t...

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

MS CRM Out look Clinet
I have istalled MS CRM Outlook client on windows 2000, I am using office 2003. All installation went thru fine. But when I launch my e-mail client, there is a error message "There is a prolem in communication Microsoft CRM Server. The Server might be unavailable. Try again later. Contact your system administrator." I dont see the CRM button from outlook view. Please let me know, how can I resolve this. Thanks Patric You did actually install the server software on a separate server didn't you?.. "pat" wrote: > I have istalled MS CRM Outlook client on window...

several problems with windows update and WMDC
I installed WDMC and now i have to run this following update: Microsoft Corporation - Other hardware - Windows Mobile-based device support but after I hit install the system is showing me this error: Microsoft Corporation - Other hardware - Windows Mobile-based device support Installation date: ‎11/‎30/‎2009 12:54 PM Error details: Code 80070103 Update type: Recommended can somebody tell me what to do with this error? AL Hello Al, Run Windows Update manually & "hide" the update. <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952032> -=- &q...

Can not archive

It is possible to install some programs from 2003 with some from 2
I have a student/home edition of Office 2007 and I'd like to install Access from Office 2003. Would that work? Yes, ensure you do a custom install, selecting only Access; however the MS advice is to install earlier component first, update then install later version, but you should be ok "Paul Blay" <PaulBlay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B549DE7-5E88-4498-BD63-58063A211923@microsoft.com... > I have a student/home edition of Office 2007 and I'd like to install > Access > from Office 2003. Would that work? Thank you! ...

Copying Several Workbooks into one Workbook as Worksheets
I have several Workbooks in a folder. Each Workbook has only one Worksheet. How can I copy all the Workbooks into one Workbook with as many worksheets as there were Workbooks in the folder? Thanks. Try this example http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm See this example http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm#sheet -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Blue_Crystal" <Blue_Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC64A93A-DCDB-4275-8F05-45A5D92F0100@microsoft.com... >I have several Workbooks in a folder. Each Workbook has only one Worksheet. >...