Buttons in Activity Form

Hi there!

I have seen several posts here about activities customization. My client
wants to add buttons to the activity form and the activity view, in order to
1st case) or opening them (in the 2nd case). Are these enhancements possible
in some way?

Similarly to the above (perhaps more easy) can we place a button "Resolve
Case" directly on the Case Form?

Thanks for any help,
Elena

0
SiEBEN
5/27/2004 11:37:13 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You cannot add buttons to any of the forms directly as this would involve editing the .aspx pages and this is not supported.  You can add buttons to the side navigation bar and also the toolbars, as well as menus on the menubar.

Unfortunately, the activities cannot be customised at present in any shape or form.  Maybe this will be changed in future releases.
Like Martin said you can't do this without entering unsupported terrority,
however.....

I see no problem with creating your own app that mimics the activity history
(add a date column while your there!!) and place your button here to perform
this action (use the SDK for this).

-Gary

"Martin Gallagher" <martin.gallagher@pygmalion.com.nospam> wrote in message
> You cannot add buttons to any of the forms directly as this would involve
editing the .aspx pages and this is not supported.  You can add buttons to
the side navigation bar and also the toolbars, as well as menus on the
menubar.

> Unfortunately, the activities cannot be customised at present in any shape
or form.  Maybe this will be changed in future releases.

0
Gary
5/27/2004 4:20:25 PM
Elena,

There is a way to create buttons that perform the same actions as the Action
menu items - sort of.
However an understanding of the "mechanics" of the situation will lend an
understanding as to why it's written the way it is.

The Case action menu items (Resolve, Reactivate) simply invoke JScript
methods that are housed in the local edit.aspx page.
These JScript methods launch a new window that displays the appropriate
dialogue, wait for a response from the child window, then perform actions
based on that response.

I assume you are aware that you can add your own toolbar and custom buttons
to the Case form by enabling ISV integration.
There are plenty of references on how to do that, so I won't repeat it here.

After enabling ISV integration, locate the _resources\ISV.config file and
make a backup copy (just in case).
In the ISV.config, locate the <incident/> node and place the Toolbar code
(see the -- ISV.config -- section below) under the <incident> node.
Note! Toolbars can only be set as ValidForCreate and/or ValidForUpdate --
there is no ValidForResolved or ValidForActive - which means that (when
working with cases) this toolbar and buttons will always be visible to any
created case - regardless of its state.

Let's assume you created a 1 to 1 mapping of actions to buttons on a Case
toolbar that is ValidForUpdate.
You'd have Cancel Case, Resolve Case, and Reactivate Case buttons that show
all of the time for created cases.
This starts to make little sense when given some thought, if you open up a
Resolved case, you will still see a "Resolve Case" button.

I decided to implement the two most commonly used actions (Resolve and
Reactivate) and combine them into 1 Resolve/Reactivate button whose function
depends on the current state of the case.
When you open a case, the Resolve/Reactivate button is "unaware" of the
case's state - which needs to be looked up (See the -- Stored Procedure --
section) when the Resolce/Reactivate button gets clicked. I strongly
reccommend that you create a separate CRMApps database to house your stored
procedure so as to ensure a clean upgrade path.

Now - toolbar buttons are inherently designed to launch a new window and
load some page.
The mechanics of the situation get a little tricky because a child window
gets launched, but the code it needs to execute resides in the parent
window.
This actually works out to our advantage.
The toolbar button is set to pass parameters (see the -- ISV.config --
section) so the child window (see the -- ASP -- section) receives the GUID
of the currently selected case.

The child window passes the GUID to the stored procedure (see -- Stored
Procedure -- section) and retrieves the state of the case.
This state value is what determines which JScript method in the parent
should be invoked.
The child window invokes a JScript method in the parent window (which in
turn launches a new CRM dialogue window) and then [the child window]
attempts to close itself.

If the case is in a resolved state or canceled state, then call the
reactivate method.
If the case is in an active state, then call the resolve method.
If the state of the case cannot be determined, then popup an alert notifying
the user to contact support.

Unforunately, the child window that invokes that JScript method in the
parent window - that launches the CRM dialogue window, has to wait for the
dialogue window's response before it can close.
For this reason, the first JScript method the child window executes is a
moveTo() command that relocates the browser window off-screen so that the
user does not see the child window.

This code does nothing to hamper an upgrade path.
From a security standpoint - there is very low risk. CRM Users will only be
allowed to work with cases for which they have rights - so the page that
invokes the stored procedure is buried behind that security. Yes, a savvy
system user could locate the custom page through their browser history, but
they would have to know the guid of a case that they don't have rights to in
order to even attempt doing anything malicious and I'd put that low on the
scale of likelihood.

Code:

-- ISV.config --

<incident>
  <ToolBar ValidForCreate="0" ValidForUpdate="1">
    <Button Title="Resolve/Reactivate Case" ToolTip="Resolve/Reactivate This
Case" Icon="/_imgs/ico_18_serviceReports.gif"
Url="http://crm.awhastings.com/AWH/Cases/resolve.asp" PassParams="1"
WinParams="width=1,height=1,resizable=False,location=no,menubar=no"
WinMode="0"/>
  </ToolBar>
</incident>

-- ASP --

<%Option Explicit%>
<%Response.Expires = -1%>
<%
  Const ACTION_RESOLVE = 0
  Const ACTION_REACTIVATE = 1
  Const ACTION_UNKNOWN = -1
  Const INCIDENT_STATE_ACTIVE = 0
  Const INCIDENT_STATE_RESOLVED = 1
  Const INCIDENT_STATE_CANCELED = 2
  Const INCIDENT_STATE_UNKNOWN = -1
  Dim m_strIncidentID
  Dim m_intState
  Dim m_strSQL
  Dim m_objRS

  m_strIncidentID = Request.QueryString("oId")
  If Len(m_strIncidentID) = 0 Then
    'No Case Id was passed in
    m_intState = INCIDENT_STATE_UNKNOWN
  Else
    m_strSQL = "EXEC crm_IncidentStateGet '" & m_strIncidentID & "'"

    '!! Write your own database code to open a connection

    If db_OpenConnection() Then
      on error resume next
      '!! Write your own code to execute the SP and return a recordset
      Set m_objRS = db_OpenDisconnectedRecordset(m_strSQL)
      '!! Write your own error handler to log any errors
      Err.Clear
      on error goto 0
      If TypeName(m_objRS) = "Recordset" Then
        If m_objRS.State = 1 Then '1 = adStateOpen
          If m_objRS.Recordcount > 0 Then
            m_intState = m_objRS.Fields("StateCode").Value
          Else
            m_intState = INCIDENT_STATE_UNKNOWN
          End If
          m_objRS.Close
        Else
          m_intState = INCIDENT_STATE_UNKNOWN
        End If
      Else
        m_intState = INCIDENT_STATE_UNKNOWN
      End If
      Set m_objRS = Nothing
      '!! Write your own DB Connection cleanup code
      Call db_CloseConnection()
    Else
      m_intState = INCIDENT_STATE_UNKNOWN
    End If
  End If
%>
<HTML>
<%  Select Case m_intState
      Case INCIDENT_STATE_ACTIVE
        'load the Resolve Dialogue
%><body onload="javascript:self.moveTo((-2 * self.window.screen.height),(-2
* self.window.screen.width));opener.focus();self.close();"
onunload="javascript:opener.resolve();"/><%
      Case INCIDENT_STATE_CANCELED, INCIDENT_STATE_RESOLVED
        'load the Reactivate Dialogue
%><body onload="javascript:self.moveTo((-2 * self.window.screen.height),(-2
* self.window.screen.width));opener.focus();self.close();"
onunload="javascript:opener.reactivate(<%=
equest.QueryString("oType")%>);"/><%
      Case INCIDENT_STATE_UNKNOWN
%><body onload="javascript:self.moveTo((-2 * self.window.screen.height),(-2
* self.window.screen.width));opener.focus();alert('Unable to determine
request.\nPlease Contact Support.');self.close();"/><%
    End Select%>
</HTML>

-- Stored Procedure --

CREATE PROCEDURE crm_IncidentStateGet
@IncidentID uniqueidentifier
AS
SELECT StateCode FROM YourOrg_MSCRM.dbo.IncidentBase WHERE IncidentId =
@IncidentID
GO

Best of luck,
Tim D

"Gary" <gary.rey@virtium.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Like Martin said you can't do this without entering unsupported terrority,
> however.....
>
> I see no problem with creating your own app that mimics the activity
history
> (add a date column while your there!!) and place your button here to
perform
> this action (use the SDK for this).
>
> -Gary
>
> "Martin Gallagher" <martin.gallagher@pygmalion.com.nospam> wrote in
message
> > You cannot add buttons to any of the forms directly as this would
involve
> editing the .aspx pages and this is not supported.  You can add buttons to
> the side navigation bar and also the toolbars, as well as menus on the
> menubar.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the activities cannot be customised at present in any
shape
> or form.  Maybe this will be changed in future releases.

0
Tim
6/1/2004 2:16:57 PM
I must thank all of you for your time and help!

Elena

"Tim Darius" <tdarius@awhastings.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > however.....
> >
> > I see no problem with creating your own app that mimics the activity
> history
> > (add a date column while your there!!) and place your button here to
> perform
> > this action (use the SDK for this).
> >
> > -Gary
> >
> > "Martin Gallagher" <martin.gallagher@pygmalion.com.nospam> wrote in
> message
> > > You cannot add buttons to any of the forms directly as this would
> involve
> > editing the .aspx pages and this is not supported.  You can add buttons
> > the side navigation bar and also the toolbars, as well as menus on the
> > menubar.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, the activities cannot be customised at present in any
> shape
> > or form.  Maybe this will be changed in future releases.

Memory & Resource leak while using Active X
Hai, I am using VC++ 6.0 and Nemega BoundChecker. I have added MS Flex Grid Active X control to a control. I got memory and resource leak while closing application. Any Solution please Thanks in Advance Thanks and Regards Gopalakrishnan.s It probably doesn't have anything to do with the grid control. Does your boundchecker give you any idea where the memory is allocated in your program, or just that there is a leak? Run it in debug mode in msdev, and see if it gives you a memory leak error on exit. Jase "Gopalakrishnan.S" <Gopalakrishnan.S@kshema.com> wrote in messa...

Action on record change from split form?
I have a split form -- custom form on top, datasheet on the bottom -- and want to do two things (alter the background color of the main form Detail, and make one of a set of images visible and the others not visible) depending on the contents of a specific field in the selected record. My formatting works fine as code executed when the field is changed from within the form, but I can't find a way to change the settings when a record is selected using the datasheet part of the split form. I thought there must be some event that would work as a trigger, but can't seem to fi...

not being able to receive external email form one company
We are having issues with one user not being able to receive external email form one specific company. This has happened after we moved his mailbox to a different Exchange Server. I have deleted his mailbox then purged it and recreated the mailbox but this made no difference. The sender receives no NDR messages. I have sent the affected user test messages from other domains which he received. I have also received test messages from the affected sender to the administrator mailbox on the affected domain. I have used Telnet to send a successful test message, I have made sure he has no rul...

#NAME? Error on Form
I want some form fields to automatically populate with data once another field on the form is filled in. Specifically, I want a city and state to fill in automatically once a zip code is entered. My table tblZipCodes has 3 fields: fldZip, fldCity, and fldState My query qryZipCodes has an expression, expCitySt, which combines fldCity and fldState, which looks like, expCitySt: [fldCity] & ", " & [fldState]. The expression produces the desired result in the query On the form when I enter a valid Zip Code from tblZipCodes, the field that points to qryZipCodes.expCitySt, just...

Continuous Form 11-17-07
I have a Dashboard with a subform that is a continuous form. The subform is a summary list of all audits in the database. I want the user to be able to click on the audit number listed in the subform and have another form "frmAA" open filtered to that particular audit and ready for editing. I've seen attempted solutions posted but results have been either the frmAA opening to a blank record or opened to a particular audit regardless of the audit that was selected. Thanks in advance, kljohn should be easy enough. the audit table has a primary key field, correct? and tha...

Do not Email Button
Folks, can anyone tell me if there is a way to insure that a contact marked as do not email, using the radio button on their record, does not get emailed? thanks Pat No this does not work consistently throughout the system. I believe it has been logged as a bug but no resolution has been provided as far as I am aware. "Phifunk" <Phifunk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD32EE5B-4BCD-419F-BA5E-FBE7A31843E1@microsoft.com... > Folks, > > can anyone tell me if there is a way to insure that a contact marked as do > not email, using the radio button...

money 2004 import error
after upgrading to 2004 premium, when i import by lastest chacking account statement via actice or .qif off bank of america, the money program crashes... also, the checking account shows that there are new transactions in the count but they don't show up in the account itself... this is MAJOR hassle - reconciling the bank of america checking transactions to MONEY is a MUST... how to fix ...

Option Buttons/Radio Buttons
Hi I run Excel 2000 I have 2 option buttons in each row (total of 20 rows) I would like the only one of the 2 buttons in each row are on or off. The problem I am having is that it dosent matter which button on which row I select, only that button is active. All the other buttons go blank. I have tried changing the source for each pair of buttons but when I do all the other button sources change as well. How do i set up the buttons so that I can select one of the 2 in every row.? Example 20 buttons in total - 10 buttons active and 10 buttons inactive Thanks John You have to grou...

Settings Button , Customize Button and Service Calendar
Here are the links you can put inside the outlook client to access this menu's inside outlook without having to use the web client to make the changes in your organization Just creat a new folder in the CRM structure ( or not ) , in the properties windows ( homepage ) Insert the following info. Settings http://crm:port/tools/home_tools.aspx?pid=0 System Customization http://crm:port/tools/systemcustomization/systemcustomization.aspx?pid=0 Service Calendar http://crm:port/sm/home_apptbook.aspx You have to creat a folder for each link . Im using this , i dont know if microsoft recommen...

emails activities for a case showing up in multiple places
When an emails are exchanged for a case, a single email results in two copies at two locations: 1) In My Work->Assigned queue 2) In Case->Activities->History When the email in My Work assigned queue is delete, it doesn't affect the email in the case->activities->history. The email showing in up My Work -> Assigned queue doesn't really seem to be useful because it needs to be managed individually. That is delete it manaully, otherwise, the Assigned queue just gets filled up with these old emails. Is there a way to prevent the email from showing up in My Work->As...

Moving a Button in a Dialog
I want to move a button in a dialog window but cannot, below are the steps that I am taking when the user makes the BN_CLICKED command CButton *pBtnOK = (CButton *)GetDlgItem(IDC_BTN) pBtnOK->GetWindowRect( &Rect ) Rect.left += 1 Rect.right += 1 pBtnOK->MoveWindow( &Rect, TRUE) Thanks in advance. Rahvin wrote: > I want to move a button in a dialog window but cannot, below are the steps that I am taking when the user makes the BN_CLICKED command: > > CButton *pBtnOK = (CButton *)GetDlgItem(IDC_BTN); > pBtnOK->GetWindowRect( &Rect ); > Rect.left +...

Confusion with forms and related subforms
Hello, I'm trying to figure out the concept of embedding subforms into main forms. I have main tables, 4 junction tables, and a few look-up tables (not all look-ups are listed below). If I'm reading it correctly, the junction tables which relate to the main tables should be in the form of a subform placed within the main form they relate to? I'm lost on the fact that I believe I have a subform which appears should be on another subform which should then be on a form. If this is correct, the form looks extremely busy and not user friendly, and just plain incorre...

Distribute Campaign Activity
hi I have created a test campaign and it has a marketing list of 5 contacts attatched to it. When i create a campaign activity of type phonecall /email or letter and click on distribute campaign activity no activites are created. Can someone please advise me what i might be doing wrong. Cheers Snow White There is an area in the Campaign Activity screen which lists Failures where Microsoft CRM failed to create a Phone Call or other tyoe of Activity. This list of Failures should hopefully help explain why the Distributed Activities are not been created. -- Kind Regards, Paul McQuilla...

Disappearing data in sync'd forms

Access and Microsoft Forms 2.0 Spinbutton
I have been using a spinbutton ActiveX control to change the time/date on an Access form. One click on the up button adds an hour to the time displayed. This works quite well and essentially I am happy with the operation of this control BUT... although this is included with Office 2003 I know that it is not a "real" Access control and should be avoided if at all possible. Is there any similar control available that will increment time or dates in textboxes or must I manufacture my own using events triggered by a button(or a label masquerading as a button) being clicked? Sure...

Missing Send Button #3
My kids messed up something in Outlook. I have XP Hmoe and office 2000. My outlook works fine (under my user) but my wife's is now missing the send button in the toolbar. Thus seh cannot send emails. I cannot check the response toolbar under customize. Do I need to uninstall then reinstall or is there a way to fix it without having to do that? Thanks for any help anyone can offer. Is her mail account installed and working? Does reinstalling the account clear up the situation? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. D...

Radio Button
I have a form someone created in Excel and somehow three buttons are linked together so that if I click on one, it selects the one I click on and clears one selected before. Is there a way to have it clear the button that was selected if I click on the same button again. As it is, I cannot clear all the buttons once a button is selected. Hi This is what radiobuttons (option buttons) are for. Either Male or Female, no None or Both or Not sure yet or Refuse to answer. For independent choices (Vegetarian, Blonde, Plays guitar, ... ) use checkboxes. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Debb...

Active Window becomes inactive
Dell Inspiron, Vista home prem. This happens very occasionally. Working in a window, pause for a few seconds and the title bar dims and and the window becomes inactive and another open window title bar or a desktop icon will become highlighted ("active"). I have to mouse click in the window I was working in to reactivate it. This will keep repeating until I reboot. Any ideas on why this is occurring and how to keep it from happening in the future? There's a setting in ControlPanel-->Mouse-->click one of the tabs, don't remmeber which, which con...

Buttons Issue with Access 2007 on Vista
Hi there! I have a client who has a simple access DB. If he runs it onXP/Access 2007 no issue, but if he runs it on vista/access2007, he can't click any of the buttons on any of theforms! Could someone shed some light please?...

Outlook Custom Button
Hi All, Is there a way to add a custom button to Outlook 2003 SP-2 standard tool bar and have it replicate to all the users in the domain? Thanks CG You'd need to add it using a script or vba and push it out via a logon script. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Cen...

Help with switch to activate the remember password option
Using outlook 2K on WinXP Home Edition, I have noticed that on some workstations, the remember password check box option does not work. And yes, we are using the correct password. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? We just had a laptop do the same thing. What is interesting is that the same machine (laptop) would remember the password up until lately? Any help would be greatly appreciated... Incodently, this is also a problem in IE browser as well. I am stumpped. ...

form tab duplicate
I have a form that has one tab with employee information. I am trying to add a second tab, and when i do, it automatically pulls the information from the first tab. I have other forms with multiple tabs, each with its own data. I cant figure out for the life of me why this is happening. any help is much appreciated. bl -- brandon Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200710/1 ...

Superscript Button and Subscript Button
I am trying to customize my toolbars, and I can't seem to find the superscript or subscript command. Is there a way to make the superscript and subscript commands into a button in Excel? "=?Utf-8?B?U2xvdGg=?=" <Sloth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:3D6FC2A9-56DD-49DD-B2A3-0DC028A12184@microsoft.com: > I am trying to customize my toolbars, and I can't seem to find the > superscript or subscript command. Is there a way to make the > superscript and subscript commands into a button in Excel? > Record a macro for each and tie them to buttons. ...

Outlook 2003 Custom Form
OK... I give up. How do I get the wheel mouse to activate and listen in a custom form for outlook 2003? The scroll bar is tedious to use, especially when you're used to having the scroll on the mouse. ...

Problem with VBA code on command button
I have a form that has a combo box to select a month. The name of the combo box is txtmontha (I realise it would have been better to name it cmb???) The is a command button that when clicked should open a form where the date selected from the combo box is the same value as the date on the form. Here is the code behind the command button: Private Sub cmdopenrecord_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdopenrecord_Click Dim strqtr As String strqtr = Me.txtmontha.Value Forms!frmMain!SubForm1.SourceObject = "frmFDA" Forms!frmMain!SubForm1.Form.RecordSou...