Best Method for importing Account/Contacts into CRM currently store as Contacts in Exchange Public Folders

Hi all,

I am looking at CRM 3 to update our simple CRM solution that was based on
custom contact forms stored in Exchange folders. We have two Exchange
contacts folders storing this info - one stores the Company (Account) and
the other will store the Contact. Both use custom forms and are linked
simply by a number generated and placed into the "Account" field for the
Company and copied to the same field on the Contact form. We then had an
ActiveX list control that would display the relevant contact for a Company
in its form.

I have not used Outlook BCM, but I feel "two layer" approach is similar - of
course BCM use a SQL database not Exchange folders.

Of course, we also have many emails that were also stored in a public folder
that are linked to the company/contact in a similar fashion - i.e. the
emails are linked not only by adding the contact to the Contacts link of the
email, but also by copying the number form the account filed to the Billing
account field of the email.

There were also tasks, calendar appointments and journal entries that were
linked in a similar way, but these are not so important to import.

So, what would be the best method of importing these contacts and email into
CRM?

Chris

0
swin (3)
12/15/2006 7:19:59 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

We have a few clients that we may also want to migrate that use Outlook
contacts, either in public folders or simple Outlook contact folders. We do
not have very many contacts to dring accoss - maybe a few hundred - so an
element of manual editng (say linking the contact to the account) would not
be out of the question.

"Chris Swinney" <swin@fab-sas.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking at CRM 3 to update our simple CRM solution that was based on
> custom contact forms stored in Exchange folders. We have two Exchange
> contacts folders storing this info - one stores the Company (Account) and
> the other will store the Contact. Both use custom forms and are linked
> simply by a number generated and placed into the "Account" field for the
> Company and copied to the same field on the Contact form. We then had an
> ActiveX list control that would display the relevant contact for a Company
> in its form.
>
> I have not used Outlook BCM, but I feel "two layer" approach is similar -
> of course BCM use a SQL database not Exchange folders.
>
> Of course, we also have many emails that were also stored in a public
> folder that are linked to the company/contact in a similar fashion - i.e.
> the emails are linked not only by adding the contact to the Contacts link
> of the email, but also by copying the number form the account filed to the
> Billing account field of the email.
>

> There were also tasks, calendar appointments and journal entries that were
> linked in a similar way, but these are not so important to import.
>
> So, what would be the best method of importing these contacts and email
> into CRM?
>
> Chris

0
Chris

Exchange Migration Issue
Hello All, I have multiple copies of email in my user email accounts after migration. I used Exchange Migration Tool to Migrate email accounts from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. Since we did not switch over to the new server right away , there were 2 days of emails still pending to be imported so I used the Migration tool again to migrate emails filtered based on date, but it seems that exchange migration has migrated all emails again, and now users have 2 to 3 copies of each email. Is there a way to remove the duplicate copies ? if so how can I go about doing that? Any pointer...

Automatically setting User account and exchange server
Hi All, How would I go about setting up possibly a login script that can automatically set up users account name and exchange server. I haven't really come accross what I'm after yet and was hopeing someone here would have an answer. Basically when a new user or a user with an outbox already; logs onto a different (or there first) machine that when they open outlook 2003 they have the settings for the server hosting exchange and thier user name automatically entered so that they don't need to contact us to have it sorted out. Thanks! Microsoft uses text files with a .prf exten...

Can the MSDE CRM Outlook databse by upgraded to SQL Express 2005?
I am planning on upgrading everything I have to SQL 2005 in the next couple of weeks. Can the MSDE CRM Outlook databse by upgraded to SQL Express 2005? Also can the SQL 2000 database on the CRM server be upgraded to SQL 2005? CRM seems to be extremely fragle and very dependent on a specific environment. When I was running CRM 1.0 adding the .NET framework 1.1 in a side by side configuration with .Net Framework 1.0 and that killed CRM 1.0. I ended up flattening the server and rebuilding it from scratch when that happened to get it going again. I purchased several versions of Crystal Rep...

Money 2007 Crashing After Request for Account Updates
Hi, my first time here, please help. I installed money 2007 deluxe and it worked perfectly for the first couple of weeks. I had to reinstall my operating system, office and explorer and when I reinstalled Money it crashes everytime I request automatic Account updates. I tried deactivating all the accounts and tried one by one including the msn server (for currency) and it crashes in all cases. Any ideas welcomed? please help! ...

Archiving Exchange 1007
We are considering moving from GroupWise to Exchange 2007. I have been unable to find out what are the archiving options for emails. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Adrian It should of course have read 'Archiving Exchange 2007'! "Adrian" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Ol4984yWHHA.1120@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > We are considering moving from GroupWise to Exchange 2007. > > I have been unable to find out what are the archiving options for emails. > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. > > Adrian > As with pre...

The best photographer
He is the best famous photographer.. http://club.cyworld.com/dcnomad ...

Exchange 2003 BCC Journaling lists BCC recipients twice
When using BCC journaling to capture messages to another mailbox, the messages where users were BCC'd have each of the recipients listed twice. Why is this happening and how do I fix it? thanks. Anyone able to help with this? It is a big problem as we are archiving for legal reasons and the journal message is not "IDENTICLE" to the original as originally recipients were only addresses once in the BCC field, not twice as the BCC journaling shows it. Thanks. "Stephen Aldous" <steve@stephenaldous.com> wrote in message news:41263cf6$0$41793$65c69314@mercury.nil...

Accounts
I am trying to switch from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2000 on Windows XP. I currently utilize 2 e-mail accounts that I switch between regularly on Outlook Express. I do not want to create another user in XP, too much switching and all my files are in my current user. Can an easy identity switch be done in Outlook like in Express? Not quite as easily. To create separate profiles in Outlook 2000 you'd need to configure it in Corporate/Workgroup mode, which may cause other problems if you're a home user and/or not connected to an Exchange server. Your other option is to keep both ...

Best text books / manuals for MS Office (intermediate-Advanced use
What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction manuals you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE? I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a decent document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge of Access......Only used PowerPoint once....... I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I have some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see now). I have created several Excel projects with Macros bu...

Going Offline in Outlook with CRM
When some of users, using the CRM laptop outlook client, try to go offline, they receive an error message to the effect of "CRM Outlook cannot go offline. CRM server not found or user does not have sufficient privileges". They can access the server fine when online, so we're tending to think it's a permissions problem. However, their roles have the Go Offline and Go Mobile permissions allowed. Anyone have any ideas? Just a thought but maybe the local rights on the laptop prevent the system from sychronising? File system rights? "Matt Harvey" wrote: &g...

Locking down Exchange
I need to implement a new company policy that will do 2 things. The first is to delete any emails older than 90 days, the second is to prevent users from using .pst files. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I have done some research and thus far have found nothing that has told me how to accomplish these 2 things. Thanks, Todd Sparks for deleting emails, create a recipient policy (i'm assuming e2k3 here) and specify mailbox policy, the wizard will lead you from there. As far as not allowing pst files i think there is a way to do it with the office resource kit but i&#...

storing xml in filesystem or db?
Hi All, I've searched the web for an article explaining the many tradeoffs between storing your XML in a database vs the filesystem but I haven't really found anything of note. This is the little I've come up with: FileSystem Pros: 1) more scaleable than db, although I haven't seen data on how much more 2) you can index your xml files using third party tools (although from what I've found there seems to be a distinct dearth of these for the windows platform. LOTS for unix and co.) FileSystem Cons: 1) if you have any data in a db you must be very careful with integrity...

Import file names
I am having nearly 5000 files in a folder and is it possible for me to just import the file names in to excel format from the particular folder. any help appreciated thanks in advance There's a couple of routines in this thread: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_frm/thread/18d89848f0726fb2/6d76a93c6e6b7fca?lnk=st&q=group:*excel*+insubject:%22Files+insubject:in+insubject:a+insubject:directory%3F%22+author:phillips&rnum=1&hl=en#6d76a93c6e6b7fca or http://snipurl.com/i03g S.G.Pillai wrote: > > I am having nearly 5000 files in a fol...

Change of Parent with National Accounts
Hi, Our client is using GP National Accts and Bluemoon's chargeback processing. We have a requirement to change the parent of some child account from time to time, due to the business relationship of such children have with their parents. However, the other internal systems (non GP) would create jobs for the same Child ID. One of the options that we are considering is to change the Debtor I to CHILD001 or similar for the old relationship using Modifier from PSTL. And create CHILD account to continue using under a new parent. Any ideas in this space would be much appreciated. Thanks...

Relay Access denied from newly installed Exchange 2003 servers
Hello, I recently upgraded our Exchange 2000 FE server to 2003. I have 3 Exchange 2000 BE servers and have just installed 3 new Exchange 2003 servers that I will eventually migrate the mailboxes from the Exchange 2000 servers to. I've set all of the Exchange settings just like they are on the Exchange 2000 servers. I moved a test mailbox from an Exchange 2000 server to one of the new Exchange 2003 servers and tried to send an email from it through Outlook Web Access to a gmail account. The error I received is " There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipi...

importing .dbx files
I am trying to import some ".dbx" files, ie., inbox.dbx, etc., into my Outlook 2003 inbox from a cd. Files were backed up onto cd from outlook express. when i browse the path to get to the files i want inported, i keep getting a message that says, "not a win32 application" or folder is empty or being used by another application, even though i have no other applictions running? any suggestions? The files have to be within OE, on the pc, prior to exporting, within OE to OL ie both apps and their data have to be on same pc "John" <anonymous@discussions....

outlook 2003 saves word attachments in a psudo folder
There is a "psudo" folder that apparently holds word attachments that are opened from email attachments within outlook2003. When users open an attached word document directly from within an email message and use file save as to save the document later the default location to save the files is c:\documents and settings\(user account)\local Settings\temporary internet files\OLK??? Where ??? is some number or character string. The saveas dialouge typically shows several word documents in the folder entries but they cannot be opened, saved or deleted. Using the internet explor...

A new mailbox won't appear until after Information Store is restarted?
Why does this happen? I have Windows 2003 Ent. and Exchange 2003 Ent. "Neely" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2b81c01c4690c$51ef7c70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Why does this happen? > > I have Windows 2003 Ent. and Exchange 2003 Ent. Mailboxes tend not to appear in system manager till their first used. IE user logs in to it, or someone send it an email. I make it standard practice after creating a new user and mailbox, to send that user a test mail to wake up the mailbox. P.S. I have Exchange 2kSP3 Also don't forget to hit the refre...

Encumbrance Management and Project Accounting
For GP9 and 10 installations with Encumbrance Management and Project Accounting, there is an issue when processing a PO line for a non-stock item that also has a project distribution. The issue is that the Purchases account is blank and grayed out so it cannot be changed. This results in an Invalid line for encumbrancing. SUGGESTION: FIX THIS! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow th...

Import CSV file with <CR><LF>
Hello, Using CRM 4.0, I'm trying to import Tasks from a CSV file (built using Save As from Excel). One of the fields is a description which I want to map to the task description. The problem is that some of the desciptions contain embedded <CR><LF> characters and the import does not seem to be parsing the file correctly. It tells me there are more data fields than there are column headings. Is this a short-coming of the import program or am I doing something wrong? Thanks Hi Buckeye The import feature does not allow the data to have <CR><LF> in them. It ...

Move mailboxes
Hi all, I'm in the middle of migrating user mailboxes from e2k to e2k3. I have no problems moving mailboxes belonging to current users. I don't intend to (nor can I) move mailboxes belonging to disabled accounts to the new server. What I want to do if possible, it to move those mailboxes into .pst form. Is there a tool that can help accomplish this? and/or for those of you who have experience with this, what do you typically do with mailboxes that are disabled and you don't want to move to the new server? Thanks! use Exmerge, it should export the disabled account to .p...

Mail Favorite Folders
I would love it if someone could tell me how to get rid of "in Personal Folders" after each and every entry in my Favorite Folders? I don't think there's any way to get rid of that -- Outlook 2003 will put that phrase after every folder that's not in your default mail store. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:007501c3a94c$65c4c9b0$a501280a@phx.gbl, Jay wrote: > I would love it if someone could tell me how to get rid > ...

Setting up Exchange 2003
I had this problem the other day while extending the schema in preparation for an upgrade to Exchange 2003. I searched through a lot of databases and search engines, and found that a lot of people have had this problem, but none of the forums led to a clear cut answer to the issue. So, I thought I'd share my solution to try and help others out, and save them some time and frustration. I was ready to call Microsoft support right before I figured this out. While running forest prep (setup /forestprep), setup failed with Error code 0XC103798A. It then specified to check the Exchange inst...

An Error has occurred loading MS CRM functionality
New load of the CRM client software and on Outlook start I get: "An error has occurred loading MS CRM functionality. Try restarting Outlook" Not very informative and of course restarting provides the same error. Anyway to get more info on what is crapping out about it? John, I had some similar issues with some clients during my 3.0 upgrade. Are you on 1.2 or 3.0? Also, are there any errors in your Event logs on that machine? Some other things to try: Remove any cached passwords pointing to the CRM server: ... Navigate to the Control Panel 2. Select 'User Accounts' ...

Exchange 5.5 #27
How can I free up some disk space on my Exchange 5.5 Server. The folder called exchsrvr is 90GB in size. The following are taking up all the space on the Server: The Priv.edb and Pub.edb under the MDBDATA subfolder. Also, the IN and OUT folder under the IMCDATA subfolder which contain Archive Folders. VJ - When's the last time you ran a defrag on the database? I inherited a message store that I thought was huge - 10gb for a 20 person user base. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? kbid=143233 For information on where to begin. I gained 30% on the first run....