ACT Groups - How Do You Handle in CRM

We are currently converting ACT data to CRM and need to know how to handle
the groups in ACT in CRM.  We have 47 different groups setup, and the records
could be part of 1 or more groups.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tara Sifuentes, CCDA, CCNA
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

What does a group in ACT represent?

"Tara Sifuentes" <Tara Sifuentes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are currently converting ACT data to CRM and need to know how to handle
> the groups in ACT in CRM.  We have 47 different groups setup, and the
> records
> could be part of 1 or more groups.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Tara Sifuentes, CCDA, CCNA

0
Peter
4/26/2005 2:53:16 PM
In our case, it is different industries that the company is a part of (i.e.
Assembly Contractors, Beverage Distributors, Chemical Suppiers, etc).

The ideal solution to me is to have a "lookup" field and to be able to pick
multiple industries, kind of how you can select multiple contacts for an
account...I am just not sure it can be done.

Tara

"Peter Lynch" wrote:

> What does a group in ACT represent?
>

> "Tara Sifuentes" <Tara Sifuentes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are currently converting ACT data to CRM and need to know how to handle
> > the groups in ACT in CRM.  We have 47 different groups setup, and the
> > records
> > could be part of 1 or more groups.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tara Sifuentes, CCDA, CCNA

If I understand you correctly, ACT has a many to many relationship between
Accounts and Groups. If so, then Microsoft CRM cannnot (by itself) represent
that, so you cannot import these relationships. However if the many:many is
vital you could build the extra entities and user interface devices using
the SDK, OR use an ISV product such as Powertrak Core from www.axonom.com OR
wait for MSCRM Version 2

If you can simplify so that one Account can be a member of only one "Group"
then use an MSCRM picklist

HTH

Peter

"Varay Systems" <VaraySystems@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In our case, it is different industries that the company is a part of
> (i.e.
> Assembly Contractors, Beverage Distributors, Chemical Suppiers, etc).
>
> The ideal solution to me is to have a "lookup" field and to be able to
> pick
> multiple industries, kind of how you can select multiple contacts for an
> account...I am just not sure it can be done.
>
> Tara
>
> "Peter Lynch" wrote:
>
>> What does a group in ACT represent?
>>

>> "Tara Sifuentes" <Tara Sifuentes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > We are currently converting ACT data to CRM and need to know how to
>> > handle
>> > the groups in ACT in CRM.  We have 47 different groups setup, and the
>> > records
>> > could be part of 1 or more groups.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Tara Sifuentes, CCDA, CCNA

0
Peter
4/26/2005 5:42:03 PM
Yes, 1 account can be a member of many groups, and 1 group can have many
accounts, so a pick list will not address the issue.

Will MSCRM Version 2 address this?  If so, when is it's expected release date?

"Peter Lynch" wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, ACT has a many to many relationship between
> Accounts and Groups. If so, then Microsoft CRM cannnot (by itself) represent
> that, so you cannot import these relationships. However if the many:many is
> vital you could build the extra entities and user interface devices using
> the SDK, OR use an ISV product such as Powertrak Core from www.axonom.com OR
> wait for MSCRM Version 2
>
> If you can simplify so that one Account can be a member of only one "Group"
> then use an MSCRM picklist
>
> HTH
>
> Peter
>
> "Varay Systems" <VaraySystems@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In our case, it is different industries that the company is a part of
> > (i.e.
> > Assembly Contractors, Beverage Distributors, Chemical Suppiers, etc).
> >
> > The ideal solution to me is to have a "lookup" field and to be able to
> > pick
> > multiple industries, kind of how you can select multiple contacts for an
> > account...I am just not sure it can be done.
> >
> > Tara
> >
> > "Peter Lynch" wrote:
> >
> >> What does a group in ACT represent?
> >>

> >> "Tara Sifuentes" <Tara Sifuentes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

My guess is Jan/Feb 2006

> Yes, 1 account can be a member of many groups, and 1 group can have many
> accounts, so a pick list will not address the issue.
>
> Will MSCRM Version 2 address this?  If so, when is it's expected release
> date?
>
> "Peter Lynch" wrote:
>

>> If I understand you correctly, ACT has a many to many relationship
>> between
>> Accounts and Groups. If so, then Microsoft CRM cannnot (by itself)
>> represent
>> that, so you cannot import these relationships. However if the many:many
>> is
>> vital you could build the extra entities and user interface devices using
>> the SDK, OR use an ISV product such as Powertrak Core from www.axonom.com
>> OR
>> wait for MSCRM Version 2
>>
>> If you can simplify so that one Account can be a member of only one
>> "Group"
>> then use an MSCRM picklist
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> "Varay Systems" <VaraySystems@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In our case, it is different industries that the company is a part of
>> > (i.e.
>> > Assembly Contractors, Beverage Distributors, Chemical Suppiers, etc).
>> >
>> > The ideal solution to me is to have a "lookup" field and to be able to
>> > pick
>> > multiple industries, kind of how you can select multiple contacts for
>> > an
>> > account...I am just not sure it can be done.
>> >
>> > Tara

0
Peter
4/26/2005 6:22:06 PM
As I understand it - groups in Act are really just views in CRM. You can
create any view you like  -e.g list all accounts in IT industry. You can
create any view you like and of course you can use Advanced find to filter
by multiple criteria, the one thing you can do is to save your advanced find
as a "Group". Take a look at the search pack add on from c360.com - this I
believe allows you to create complex searches as save them under whatever
name you want - which hopefully will give you what you need.

HTH

Roger

"Tara Sifuentes" <Tara Sifuentes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are currently converting ACT data to CRM and need to know how to handle
> the groups in ACT in CRM.  We have 47 different groups setup, and the
> records
> could be part of 1 or more groups.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Tara Sifuentes, CCDA, CCNA

0
Roger

CRM 3 in Single Server Deployment
Hi everyone, I was wondering, if i want to use the single server deployment for CRM 3. (i.e have, Active directory, CRM, SQL and Exchange on one server) Do i have to use Small Business Server, or can I use windows 2003 standard. Thanks in advance Ranga SBS is the only supported Single Server Env. Please read Implementation Guide. SBS is the only supported Single Server Env. Please read Implementation Guide. ...

hidding group commands in ribbon and setting password with vb
all this is for access 2007 Ok, I can manipulate the access default ribbon tabs and groups but is there a way to, for example, hide a command in a Tab's group? For example, are we allowed to hide the 'linked table manager' command in the 'Database Tools' group? If so, can someone give me a line of xml so I can see how to do it. Second thing. How to use the RunCommand acCmdEncryptDecryptDatabase command to set a password/encrypt a database? When I use it from a button on a formi get an error message saying that it is not available right now, however, the ...

Microsoft reveals details of CRM 3.0
http://www.techworld.com/applications/news/index.cfm?NewsID=3980 -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us John! Any details about the improvements on the SDK? Its awefully slow,.....is this going to be improved? -Gary "John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in message news:%23ER2KcjgFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > http://www.techworld.com/applications/news/index.cfm?NewsID=3980 > > -- > John O'Donnell > Microsoft CRM MVP > http://www.mscrmfaq.us > > > "Gary" <ga...

Re: User Groups
I have a user that is deleting someone off a distribution group, and I need to know if there is a way to trace who is doing it. We have a pretty good idea, but can't fire people on idea's. I'm going to change the security as soon as I find out who it is, but in the meantime I need to know if there is a way of finding out who is doing it? is there an event that will tell me, or is there a way I can have an email sent when someone is removed from a group etc.... Thank you very much, Glan. If you enable auditing on the domain, then go to the group in ADUC and select prop...

Group contacts in a public folder
Is there a way to group contacts that are in a public folder? When I go to View/Current View/Customize Current View, the "Group By" option is deactivated. Thanks, Shannon You're probably using an address card view. You'll be able to group if you switch to a table view. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Shannon" <Shannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1397898-52A1-430F-8BBA-3A3C58D1...

CRM 3.0 Exchange Router fills event log with errors
I've installed CRM 3.0 Exchange router according to Microsoft's documentation and the suggestions I found on this mailbox. However, the service is not working. The error message in the Event Viewer is Microsoft.Crm.Tools.ExchangeConnectorService.ExchangeSinkServiceException: Opening the inbox folder of mailbox: crm failed (System.InvalidCastException: No such interface supported at ADODB.RecordClass.Open(Object Source, Object ActiveConnection, ConnectModeEnum Mode, RecordCreateOptionsEnum CreateOptions, RecordOpenOptionsEnum Options, String UserName, String Password) at M...

VB User Groups
Does anyone know of a VB user group along the same lines as this Excel group. I like this format (and audience) and although VB questions abound here I dont know that this is the correct venue to ask these types of questions. -- Regards... Do you mean VBA (use the Excel Programming newsgroup) or standalone VB, which has a whole series of newsgroups listed under microsoft.public.vb at http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx Jerry cincode5 wrote: > Does anyone know of a VB user group along the same lines as this Excel group. > I like this format (...

CRM 3.0 Email Router installation
While upgrading Email router for CRM 3.0, the system requirement screen shows that the Operating System failed the test with the following message. The operating system version 5.2 is not supported by the installed product. We are running Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003 SP2. Is Windows 2003 SP1 required to be installed prior to installing email router? Correct, if running on Windows 2003, Microsoft CRM 3.0 requires it to be SP1 for both server and exchange router. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. www.workopia.com "Nilesh" wrote: > While upgrading Email router for CRM 3.0,...

CRM to GP Integration--Account # to Account ID
Hello: Has anybody else run across a problem integrating account records in CRM--specifically the account numbers? We would like to be able to assign an account number from CRM once they become a customer and place the first order. We have setup the integration to create GP customers on order creation, but GP overrides whatever is entered in the CRM account # field and writes the account name into the GP Customer ID field. One option we thought of was to create the records first in GP, but this would be time consuming and there would be no way to link the newly created custome...

CRM SDK
Hi, Is it possible to use the CRMQuote.Update method to update a field of a quote WHERE the quote is already activated? An activated quote has its fields in read-only mode, but I want to be able to update a custom field of an "activated" quote. Please let me know if this is possible, e.g., can I convert the quote to "update-mode", make the change, then put it back in read-only mode? thanks. ...

db design to calculate overlap in group membership in time
Hi all, I am a biologist studying the social structure of birds. I am currently brainstorming ideas for constructing a database that will allow me to easily calculate the number of seconds that one bird is in the same group as another bird. Because group membership changes frequently with birds arriving and departing at different times, and often arriving, departing, and re-arriving on the scale of seconds, I will have many thousands of records. I am trying to determine how to best set up this database before entering all the data. I have 2 goals with this database: 1) I need to f...

CRM a BIG dissapointment ?!?!?
I'm sorry to use this as a topic. But I want the opinions of people. Cause at my view this software is nothing. An example, the customization form. I want to add values in Accounts. After updating the form I see the new values I entered. When example I opened that Account, well DUH no values from what I entered appearing. I just finish read a post of how to make this work. Read this carefully and please tell me that's not suppose to be a way to work all the time with this software. ************************************************************ You need to publish your customisati...

max no group
Hi , Is there any solution for Max without grouping? There are different data and only one distinct on the row to display for the max value. For example, data are as : 1, 2 , 6 , 7 and another column to find for max value here is for relation to it : 3, 4, 9, 2 so the only max of them is 6, 9 . I try it on the expression of max but there is no other option on another to find relation of it of the column expression max. Thanks any idea? If there is no GROUP, the MAX occur over the column for all the records of the table. If your data is like: f1 f2 1 3 2 ...

CRM 1.2

CRM 1.2 Installation Problems
Hi, I have just installed crm server 1.2 on a windows 2000 server box with sp4 and sql 2000 sp3a. This is a member server of an active directory domain. The domain controllers are running windows 2003 and one of them is running exchange 2003. The crm server install works ok, and i can browse to the server via internet explorer ok, and also open up the deployment manager without any errors. my problem occurs when i go to install either the exchange email router or the sales for outlook cd. It keeps telling me it cannot find the crm server. I have tried using the ip address and tried...

Can a Universal Distribution Group be part of a Universal Security Group
The "_All Managers" is a Universal Distribution Group. I created a "Managers Universal Group" and made it a Universal Security Group, and I added the "_All Managers" DUG to it. My boss's email was: "I made the UG the only authorized user for Project and it instantly disappeared from my Citrix login options. (Before my user account had explicitly been authorized). I don't know that you can effectively add a distribution group to a security group, because that would leave group membership in the hands of the distribution group owner, who l...

Grouping over multiple nodes
Seeing how my previous post seem to have fallen between the cracks, I thought I would have a second, more direct, go at it. So my question is "Is it possible to group (Muenchian method) over multiple nodes?" I will use an example to try to explain what I need to do and what I have for data. The example might not be very realistic but it's much easier than to try and explain using the scenario I have =P Suppose I had a list of locations for which shipped packages has been sent. Each item (Segment node) details the following * Which package does it describe (PackageId) * Whe...

Creating a calculation based on a grouping
I have a database used to record invoices (vendor, date, number, service period beginning and end, amount, etc.). My report shows the records for a specific time frame. (In the database, the service period is entered as: SvPeriod: 1/01/2008, SvPeriodEnd: 1/31/2008.) The records are grouped by vendor and then by service period. However, when creating the report, I chose to use SvPeriod by Month, in which case Access turned the SvPeriod date into the actual month and year and created the "SvPeriod by Month" field. (For example, it took 1/01/2008 and created January 2008.) ...

cross administrative group move windows 98
We recently installed exchange 2003 in our organisation. We are now running in mixed mode with exchange 5.5. We are not able to do a cross administrative group move for mailbox of all windows 98 users. (from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003). Any idea? Eric Lajeunesse <eric.lajeunesse@saputo.com> wrote: > We recently installed exchange 2003 in our organisation. We are now > running in mixed mode with exchange 5.5. > We are not able to do a cross administrative group move for mailbox > of all windows 98 users. (from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003). > Any idea? Ask in th...

Is CRM a good tool for marketing list management?
In conversation, the question came up on whether or not CRM is a good tool for marketing list management. One of the main concerns is that the by loading hundreds of accounts and thousands of contacts into the database, performance will degrade. (Currently we have about 360 companies and about 800 contacts.) -- Med On May 23, 3:39 pm, Medardo Lacayo <MedardoLac...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In conversation, the question came up on whether or not CRM is a good tool > for marketing list management. One of the main concerns is that the by > loading hundreds of ac...

How to handle Customer Deposits
We need to take deposits before a customers events anyone have any input on what has worked best in the past? Our Thought is to sell an item and then return credit it the day of the party But we are looking for a Cleaner way. Other Idea was to receive a payment against a customer account but we wish to track the item so we can show the Deposit was made And a voucher credit would mean making a Serial Number list.... Suggestions Please You could use a work order and take a deposit on that then convert to an invoice. Use in house charges postive balance, Gift cards or vouchers? "ParkR...

Error when loading crm default page
Hello, when loading my crm default page i've got this error: Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Badly Formed FieldXml: Field name itau_company Does not correspond to any Attribute on Entity: contact. Field Xml = <field name="itau_company" requiredlevel="na" maxlength="100" format="text"><displaynames><displayname description="Company" languagecode="1033" /></displaynames></f...

CRM initialization error
Hi, I began installation of MS CRM last week. I had many error messages (each one found answer in Implementation Guide or Google Groups...). But since yesterday, a new message appeared : "Failed to install Microsoft CRM Server Setup" "Failed to provision your initial business" "Failed to create organization". I tried to found an answer on Google Group but each one failed. I explain my configuration : - 1 Windows 2000 Server Domain Controller with AD and Exchange 2000 - 1 Windows 2000 Server with SQL Server SP2 - 1 Windows 2000 Server which try to be CR...

Handle GPIO in Freescale MX25PDK BSP
Has anyone done any simple subproject to Freescale WINCE 6 MX25PDK BSP that toggle, set or clear an IO / GPIO ? If anyone could provide me with such a sampleproject I would be more than happy. I seem to get compiler errors as soon as I try myself... However I do I get this kind of errors: BUILD: [01:0000000092:ERRORE] S4_IO_TEST.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol DDKGpioSetConfig referenced in function WinMain BUILD: [01:0000000093:ERRORE] obj\ARMV4I\debug\S4_IO_TEST.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals Any tiå is greatly appreciated. ...

What to do after installing CRM?! Problems....
I have just installed MS CRM 1.2 on a SBS2003. Everything went fine but when I try to access the website I get HTTP 400 - Bad request "The page cannot be found". It seems that everything in IIS is OK. Any ideas??? Thanx, Michael. ...