"Direct" (or "bulk") emails are not received by contact recipient

Using CRM 3.0. I created an email template and followed the procedure to send
a "direct email" to a contact. The direct email appeared to be sent (no CRM
error was displayed) but it did not arrive in the contact's mailbox. Our CRM
is integrated with MS Outllook and we can send regular email (CRM email
activities) from within CRM and they are received by external recipients.
This problem only occurs when using "direct mail". We have checked the
settings in the contact's properties and they are set to receive "direct
mail". Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

AG,

How is your Exchange system configured? Are you using CRM SBE or Professional?

If professional, and your Exhange server is on a separate server than CRM,
take a look at the following article:

http://blogs.infinite-x.net/2006/07/16/dynamics-crm-30-exchange-server-setup/

Good luck.

Mitch
We are having the identical problem here too.

Has anyone tracked down what could be causing this?

We are running SBS2003 premium and CRM3 on the same server.

No errors are generated of any kind. I have also tried doing this as a quick
campaign, but the same problem happens. The campaign shows as pending, but
does not actually send any E-mail.

Both methods use the Microsoft CRM Bulk E-mail Service, so that's the common
point, but with no errors, this is proving hard to troubleshoot.

Regards,
Jim

"AG" <AG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using CRM 3.0. I created an email template and followed the procedure to
> send
> a "direct email" to a contact. The direct email appeared to be sent (no
> CRM
> error was displayed) but it did not arrive in the contact's mailbox. Our
> CRM
> is integrated with MS Outllook and we can send regular email (CRM email
> activities) from within CRM and they are received by external recipients.
> This problem only occurs when using "direct mail". We have checked the
> settings in the contact's properties and they are set to receive "direct
> mail". Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

0
Jim
10/19/2006 2:46:24 AM
One possibility to check - AV software. The AV software may allow a single
message through, but if it detects large quantities of email at once,
particularly with the same subject, it may be blocking it on the grounds
that it appears to be virus-like behaviour.

Let me know if this is it.

Martin

"Jim Olsen" <jim.o@avtechnology.com.au> wrote in message
> We are having the identical problem here too.
>
> Has anyone tracked down what could be causing this?
>
> We are running SBS2003 premium and CRM3 on the same server.
>
> No errors are generated of any kind. I have also tried doing this as a
> quick campaign, but the same problem happens. The campaign shows as
> pending, but does not actually send any E-mail.
>
> Both methods use the Microsoft CRM Bulk E-mail Service, so that's the
> common point, but with no errors, this is proving hard to troubleshoot.
>
> Regards,
> Jim
>
> "AG" <AG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Using CRM 3.0. I created an email template and followed the procedure to
>> send
>> a "direct email" to a contact. The direct email appeared to be sent (no
>> CRM
>> error was displayed) but it did not arrive in the contact's mailbox. Our
>> CRM
>> is integrated with MS Outllook and we can send regular email (CRM email
>> activities) from within CRM and they are received by external recipients.
>> This problem only occurs when using "direct mail". We have checked the
>> settings in the contact's properties and they are set to receive "direct
>> mail". Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

0
Martin
10/19/2006 11:56:03 AM
Thanks for your posting. I don't think the bulk email is being stopped
bencause of virus-like behavior because when I tested the bulk email, I
tested it by sending ONE email to my alternate internet email address and it
did not arrive.

"Martin McGovern" wrote:
> One possibility to check - AV software. The AV software may allow a single
> message through, but if it detects large quantities of email at once,
> particularly with the same subject, it may be blocking it on the grounds
> that it appears to be virus-like behaviour.
>
> Let me know if this is it.
>
> Martin
>
> "Jim Olsen" <jim.o@avtechnology.com.au> wrote in message
> > We are having the identical problem here too.
> >
> > Has anyone tracked down what could be causing this?
> >
> > We are running SBS2003 premium and CRM3 on the same server.
> >
> > No errors are generated of any kind. I have also tried doing this as a
> > quick campaign, but the same problem happens. The campaign shows as
> > pending, but does not actually send any E-mail.
> >
> > Both methods use the Microsoft CRM Bulk E-mail Service, so that's the
> > common point, but with no errors, this is proving hard to troubleshoot.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jim
> >
> > "AG" <AG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Using CRM 3.0. I created an email template and followed the procedure to
> >> send
> >> a "direct email" to a contact. The direct email appeared to be sent (no
> >> CRM
> >> error was displayed) but it did not arrive in the contact's mailbox. Our
> >> CRM
> >> is integrated with MS Outllook and we can send regular email (CRM email
> >> activities) from within CRM and they are received by external recipients.
> >> This problem only occurs when using "direct mail". We have checked the
> >> settings in the contact's properties and they are set to receive "direct
> >> mail". Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

Hi,
I also had this problem back in August. I researched and found that there is
a known issue with bulk emails.  I was referred to KB 911520. It listed a
hotfix that would "solve" the problem but had strong warnings that the hotfix
was not tested. The emails are in CRM as pending Activities for each
recipient, but are not sent until you go to each recipient/contact activity
and click the Send button.  I have not installed the hotfix because of the
warnings, but am still waiting. I was hoping that a solution would be found
and published by MSCRM by now.  Any information about newer, tested hotfixes
should be forthcoming from the CRM crew. I was hoping an MVP would chime in
on this thread with some information.
-Aztec CRM

"AG" wrote:

> Thanks for your posting. I don't think the bulk email is being stopped
> bencause of virus-like behavior because when I tested the bulk email, I
> tested it by sending ONE email to my alternate internet email address and it
> did not arrive.
>

> "Martin McGovern" wrote:
> > One possibility to check - AV software. The AV software may allow a single
> > message through, but if it detects large quantities of email at once,
> > particularly with the same subject, it may be blocking it on the grounds
> > that it appears to be virus-like behaviour.
> >
> > Let me know if this is it.
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > "Jim Olsen" <jim.o@avtechnology.com.au> wrote in message
> > > We are having the identical problem here too.
> > >
> > > Has anyone tracked down what could be causing this?
> > >
> > > We are running SBS2003 premium and CRM3 on the same server.
> > >
> > > No errors are generated of any kind. I have also tried doing this as a
> > > quick campaign, but the same problem happens. The campaign shows as
> > > pending, but does not actually send any E-mail.
> > >
> > > Both methods use the Microsoft CRM Bulk E-mail Service, so that's the
> > > common point, but with no errors, this is proving hard to troubleshoot.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Jim
> > >
> > > "AG" <AG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,

I have more information on this now from our end. I have seen the hotfix
also, but I don't think this is what it is.
I don't have any activities appear either, so there is nothing to manually
send.

I have discovered that neither Send Direct E-Mail, Campaign or Quick
Campaign work from the workstations, myself included. All 3 appear to work,
but there is no error, no record and no E-mail sent or received. I'm running
XP SP2 and am the sys admin role in CRM and local sys admin on the
workstation.

However, I can use all 3 functions when I am working directly on the server.

To me, this is indicating the Bulk Email service is used by all 3 methods of
bulk mailing and it is working or the same problem would occur when on the
server itself.

The anti virus app on the workstations and the server is the same, so I
don't think that should be the problem.

Since it works on the server, but not on my workstation even though I have
full CRM permissions, it leads me to think it is a Windows permission
causing the troubles. Does that seem reasonable?

Should (or can) the Bulk Email service be configured for all users and not
just the server. I have a strong suspicion, this may have something to do
with it, but I'm not sure how to attack this particular avenue.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Jim

"HydroBoos" <HydroBoos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I also had this problem back in August. I researched and found that there
> is
> a known issue with bulk emails.  I was referred to KB 911520. It listed a
> hotfix that would "solve" the problem but had strong warnings that the
> hotfix
> was not tested. The emails are in CRM as pending Activities for each
> recipient, but are not sent until you go to each recipient/contact
> activity
> and click the Send button.  I have not installed the hotfix because of the
> warnings, but am still waiting. I was hoping that a solution would be
> found
> and published by MSCRM by now.  Any information about newer, tested
> hotfixes
> should be forthcoming from the CRM crew. I was hoping an MVP would chime
> in
> on this thread with some information.
> -Aztec CRM
>
> "AG" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your posting. I don't think the bulk email is being stopped
>> bencause of virus-like behavior because when I tested the bulk email, I
>> tested it by sending ONE email to my alternate internet email address and
>> it
>> did not arrive.
>>

>> "Martin McGovern" wrote:
>> > One possibility to check - AV software. The AV software may allow a
>> > single
>> > message through, but if it detects large quantities of email at once,
>> > particularly with the same subject, it may be blocking it on the
>> > grounds
>> > that it appears to be virus-like behaviour.
>> >
>> > Let me know if this is it.
>> >
>> > Martin
>> >
>> > "Jim Olsen" <jim.o@avtechnology.com.au> wrote in message

0
Jim
10/20/2006 3:07:18 AM
Hi All,

I have the answer. Well, the answer to our problem anyway.

It was a permissions thing.

The CRM Bulk Email Service had the default permission on it for log on,
which was for the account that was used to install CRM on our server, which
takes the format of DomainName/UserName.

I changed the account to Local System and it all works fine now on all
workstations.

Hope this can help someone in the same situation out there.

Regards,
Jim

> [...]
>> recipient, but are not sent until you go to each recipient/contact
>> activity
>> and click the Send button.  I have not installed the hotfix because of
>> the
>> warnings, but am still waiting. I was hoping that a solution would be
>> found
>> and published by MSCRM by now.  Any information about newer, tested
>> hotfixes
>> should be forthcoming from the CRM crew. I was hoping an MVP would chime
>> in
>> on this thread with some information.
>> -Aztec CRM
>>
>> "AG" wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your posting. I don't think the bulk email is being stopped
>>> bencause of virus-like behavior because when I tested the bulk email, I
>>> tested it by sending ONE email to my alternate internet email address

Indirect bulk email
In our business we often need to email a number of customers at once, but we also need to edit the email itself because each time the information will be different. The send direct email function is therefore no good, as we can't change the contents of the email. Is there any way to set a template that asks for more information, or to have a button which send an ordinary email to multiple customers in the same way that it does when in a contact form? Thanks. ...

"Direct" (or "bulk") emails are not received by contact recipient
Using CRM 3.0. I created an email template and followed the procedure to send a "direct email" to a contact. The direct email appeared to be sent (no CRM error was displayed) but it did not arrive in the contact's mailbox. Our CRM is integrated with MS Outllook and we can send regular email (CRM email activities) from within CRM and they are received by external recipients. This problem only occurs when using "direct mail". We have checked the settings in the contact's properties and they are set to receive "direct mail". Does anyone have a suggesti...

bulk update Exchange 5.5 directory information
anybody knows how to update information in user mailboxes? i have few hundreds in fact close to a thousand users and it is very time consuming if I want to update the phone no, company, etc one by one... is there a tool out there that i can achieve the same result a lot faster? thanks in advanced. me. "admin" <admin@test.com> wrote: >anybody knows how to update information in user mailboxes? i have few >hundreds in fact close to a thousand users and it is very time consuming if >I want to update the phone no, company, etc one by one... is there a tool >o...

Bulk Email: Outlook client:"Direct email via Mail Merge is off".
I am trying to test bulk email before a big demo. I am following along the task list provided by John O'Donnell in another discussion. When I click to distribute the activity (launched from Outlook) I get a message box that states "Direct email via mail merge is off. The activity cannot be distributed. Please contact your system administrator." I am using the CRM 3.0 VPC. What do I need to do to enable email via mail merge? CRM settings? Or other settings? Thank you in advance. Ensure the "Microsoft CRM Bulk E-mail Service" is running (and is set to automat...