Where is the startup manager in 2007

I can't even find the word splashscreen or spash screen in 07 help. I
inherited a database that uses switchboards and want a splashscreen so they
can either go into it, or open a utilities form where I throw my own options
and functionality. But I dont see anything on splashscreens, the startup
manager to determine which form opens at startup. Only the switchboard
manager.

And switchboards are idiotic. That level of complexity and abstraction to
simply open forms and reports is imbecillic. One form, one function, one
button, one function. Its much easier to build, reverse engineer, document.
These switchboards are nuclear powered pencil sharpeners. Moronic.

Code should only be as complex as its functionality and features require.
Looping through tables with ADO, to see how many buttons a form has, their
captions and functionality is incredibly pointless. Who designed it, someone
on a Tandy with 256K memory? Forms use virtually no file size. What are the
advantages of eliminating a handful of dedicated forms with 500 lines of
code, so womeone as MS or Wrox could impress people?

Now this concoluted switchboard nonsense has to be revese engineered,
altered, documented, maintained, passed on.

Code bumming - Learn it, master it, or get out of the business.

access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

To specify the form you want loaded at start up, go to:
Office Button | Access Options | Current Database | Display Form

If you are trying to design a splash form that displays version info, this
may help:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-53.html

"JS5" <JS5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can't even find the word splashscreen or spash screen in 07 help. I
> inherited a database that uses switchboards and want a splashscreen so
> they
> can either go into it, or open a utilities form where I throw my own
> options
> and functionality. But I dont see anything on splashscreens, the startup
> manager to determine which form opens at startup. Only the switchboard
> manager.
>
> And switchboards are idiotic. That level of complexity and abstraction to
> simply open forms and reports is imbecillic. One form, one function, one
> button, one function. Its much easier to build, reverse engineer,
> document.
> These switchboards are nuclear powered pencil sharpeners. Moronic.
>
> Code should only be as complex as its functionality and features require.
> Looping through tables with ADO, to see how many buttons a form has, their
> captions and functionality is incredibly pointless. Who designed it,
> someone
> on a Tandy with 256K memory? Forms use virtually no file size. What are
> the
> advantages of eliminating a handful of dedicated forms with 500 lines of
> code, so womeone as MS or Wrox could impress people?
>
> Now this concoluted switchboard nonsense has to be revese engineered,
> altered, documented, maintained, passed on.
>
> Code bumming - Learn it, master it, or get out of the business.

0
Allen
6/5/2010 3:15:46 PM
Hi there,

why don´t you create a macro named Autoexec. It will do everything you
want when you start your database.

Regards
Jörn

Am 05.06.2010 17:11, schrieb JS5:
> I can't even find the word splashscreen or spash screen in 07 help. I
> inherited a database that uses switchboards and want a splashscreen so they
> can either go into it, or open a utilities form where I throw my own options
> and functionality. But I dont see anything on splashscreens, the startup
> manager to determine which form opens at startup. Only the switchboard
> manager.
>
> And switchboards are idiotic. That level of complexity and abstraction to
> simply open forms and reports is imbecillic. One form, one function, one
> button, one function. Its much easier to build, reverse engineer, document.
> These switchboards are nuclear powered pencil sharpeners. Moronic.
>
> Code should only be as complex as its functionality and features require.
> Looping through tables with ADO, to see how many buttons a form has, their
> captions and functionality is incredibly pointless. Who designed it, someone
> on a Tandy with 256K memory? Forms use virtually no file size. What are the
> advantages of eliminating a handful of dedicated forms with 500 lines of
> code, so womeone as MS or Wrox could impress people?
>
> Now this concoluted switchboard nonsense has to be revese engineered,
> altered, documented, maintained, passed on.
>
> Code bumming - Learn it, master it, or get out of the business.

0
UTF

Startup form selection based on Group permission Options
Hello Group, I have an application that I would like to select the startup form the user sees based on the permissions of their user group. Any suggestions? Thanks ...

Outlook 2007 password storing error
I'm sporadically and frequently getting a popup asking to enter my pop-server password even though its saved. It happens to random email accounts. First: System and background: Win7, Outlook 2007 Enterprise, POP server (owned domain at hosting service). Win7 was a clean installation and had no issues until a couple days ago. I've read just about everything I can find and here is what I've done, none of it having worked: -Deleted every mailbox account and rebuilt them -Deleted the PROTECT folder -Removed all anti-virus software -Did a System restore to ...

MS Office Picture Manager - scrolls by number?
Hello! I have successfully installed MS Office Picture Manager and the only issue I'm having is that when I'm scrolling through pics, for some reason it sorts by number (Camping 01 to Silly 01) rather than alphabetically (Camping 01 to Camping 02). Any way to fix this? Any help is appreciated, thanks! -- deeraspberry ------------------------------------------------------------------------ deeraspberry's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/157156.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1274050.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

outlook at startup?
Is there an option in Outlook 2003 to have it open at startup, or do you just have to put it in the Startup group? Also, can you have it start up minimized? -- John Salerno Put it in your startup folder and edit the shortcut to have it start minimized. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, John Salerno asked: | Is there an option in Outlook 2003 to ...

EMKAi- looking for a Graphic Designer/Brand Manager
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CAF16D.07864610 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_000A_01CAF16D.07864610" ------=_NextPart_001_000A_01CAF16D.07864610 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable EMKAi ------=_NextPart_001_000A_01CAF16D.07864610 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HT...

Outlook 2007 Preview Pane
How do you make the headers in Outlook 2007 go on 2 lines instead of 1, in the Inbox listing? I had it this way on my PC before I re-installed, but can't remember how I did it. It's trying to cram too much info on a single line right now (from, subject, date, etc.) and I had rigged it so each email would only occuppy 2 lines. "Mike J.S." <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:uR5LDBM8HHA.4712@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > How do you make the headers in Outlook 2007 go on 2 lines instead of 1, in > the Inbox listing? I had it this way on my PC before I re-instal...

Outllook 2007
Hi I have installed Office 2007 with Outlook and am starting to use it as my email account. I also have Outlook Connector so that my Hotmail is linked (?) to my Outlook. Suffice it to say that the set up of Outlook is confusing and I need help. 1. For some reason I find that I have 2 email accounts: Options -- Mail Settings - Email accounts: Pop3 and MAPI. Do I need both? which one is not needed? Both have the same HotMail address?? 2. The left side of my Outlook page, under Mail has a number of items -- see below -- am I set up incorectly? Why do I have 2 inboxes ...

Startup error
Hello freinds, one of our users complained that everytime he launches Excel an error message " cannot use object linking and embedding" pops up. We are currently using office xp with sp2. Please help. Happy Holidays Chow Were they hit by the MSBlast worm? One poster (Lutz Meyer) guessed that this was the cause of his problems. I haven't seen any confirmation/denial, but you may want to read his post: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3F3971AF.FA4490F5%40msn.com Post back with your results. I'm curious if that was the problem. (It's come up quite a few time...

Can I switch off "Grammar" options in Word 2007 yet keep Spelling
I miss the simple Tools/Options facility in Word 2007 using Vista Ultimate, is it "hidden" somewhere? -- Rufus You will find a similar set of options if you click the pizza (office) button top left of your Word 2007 screen and select Word Options. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>><...

Object Explorer doesn't connect to server specified at startup
Hi Everybody, I'm constantly trying to shrink regular responsibilities into a single- click icon. Want me to check the server's hard drive size? I've got a script that gets hard drive space and sends a text report via SQL mail; all I need to do is click the SQLCMD batch file on my desktop. When starting SQL Server Management Studio (2005), I don't want to specify my server name, login, password, or the database I need; I prefer to run my desktop batch file that contains the following command: SqlWb.exe -E -S myservername -d testdb -nosplash This gets me into...

Installing on startup
Everytime I start my computer up I get a windows installer box that tries to install Money 2002. I already have it and I dont know why it keeps doing it. I am running XP. Thanks for your help. >-----Original Message----- >Everytime I start my computer up I get a windows installer >box that tries to install Money 2002. I already have it >and I dont know why it keeps doing it. I am running XP. >Thanks for your help. >. >I have 2004 Standard and have the same problem so if you get the answe please forward to me. Thanks EdC ...

only showing Switchboard on startup
I would like only the main switchboard to be visible on start-up but at the moment a "Contacts list" form (inherited from the Contacts template in Access 2007) appears on a second tab (I'm not at ths stage of wanting it full-screen yet - though that will come). I have followed the instructions found on the boards: Office button > Access Options > Current database but there isn't anything that I can see related to startup. In Display Form, I have selected "Switchboard" from the drop down list but can't see any way of unselecting Contacts ...

Outlook XP: how can I force Folder List view on startup?
Hello, Can anyone please tell me how I can force Outlook XP to display the folder list view on startup using a registry key or GPO? The instructions for Outlook 2003 at the WunderBar instructions in the link below don't appear to work: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011182481033.aspx Just completing a migration over the weekend and it'll be confusing for the users if they don't see all their folders straight off on Monday. Thanks, - Alan. You just upgraded your users to a long ago non-supported Office version? WOW! Having said that, what setting are you using r...

How to make Outlook 2007 toolbars stay where you place them?
That is my question.. I have a McAfee tool bar in out look and When I move it then exit outlook it is back on a line by itself. I have moved other toolbars and they revert back also. How can I make them do what I want???? Third party add-ins are responsible themselves for remembering the location of their toolbars. Outlook will not remember it for them. There are some ways around this though. For suggestions see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/152 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, Ho...

I need a Excel template for property management
I own three rental properties and I'm looking for a simple template for Excel that will allow me to merely track expenses and income. The simpler the better. this might help. Or, ask someone for custom programming. http://tinyurl.com/6svu2 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B845B7C4-0DAA-40A3-880A-FD0A6F298AFD@microsoft.com... > I own three rental properties and I'm looking for a simple template for Excel > that will allow me to merely track expenses and income. The simpler the >...

Bizarre Excel 2007 behavior solved
I have a spreadsheet created in Excel 2003 that has two columns with conditional formatting such that if the entry is zero no data appears in those columns. There is no conditional formatting in any other columns of this spreadsheet that has many embedded formulae. When that spreadsheet is opened in Excel 2007, whether or not it is converted to the 2007 file structure or used in compatibility mode as a 2003 format spreadsheet, Excel 2007 does not let me see data being entered into any cell as I type. I can see the key strokes appearing in the formula bar but the cursor remains in the ce...

Is Excel 2007 released ?
Is Excel 2007 released ? If not when is microsoft planning to release Excel 2007 ? hi! why don't you visit http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/programs/excel/faq.mspx -via135 Shirish Wrote: > Is Excel 2007 released ? If not when is microsoft planning to release > Excel > 2007 ? -- via135 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26725 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=530646 In 2007 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom http...

Excel 2003 with SP2 locks on startup
I've just loaded Office Professional 2003 (updating from Office XP) and have downloaded the SP2 update pack, but both Excel 2003 and Word 2003 lock up on start-up. It may have something to do with eirther the Virus scanner (Norton's Antivirus 2005 but probably unlikely) or the fact that MS Office Updates won't work as I suspect some of the earlier Windows Installer Patch files may be missing or corrupted from the XP version. I also couldn't uninstall Office XP in the normal manner from Install/Remove programs. Would appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this. (Not...

Risk management
Hi. I have searched wide and high for a risk management spread sheet to calulate a budget using the principles "proactive management". Anyone with a sugestione? Thanks. Ole ...

Office Smart Tag Manager
Good afternoon, I have the following error with Office Smart Tag Manager for Great Plains: Error: Database Connection Problem Possible causes include: This user accounts is not a member of any smart tag groups Bad connection information SQL Server is not running No smart Tag groups configured Please verify and try again. Which the procedure is to solve this error? I already erased all tables and store procedures of database Dynamics already Uninstall the product and I installed it again and the problem persists. that I make? ...

Crashing on startup
Hi, Outlook XP with sp2 installed developed a big problem a couple of days ago - it crashes on startup every time. Outlook loads, and before it can start checking for mail, I get the outlook has to close message. I've tried sending the error to check for a fix, but no fix is available. I didn't make any software changes recently, so I don't know what has changed. Cold boots don't help, same behavior. Help! thanks, Jeff ...

File Cache Manager With SRAM in WINCE 6.0
Hi, I m developing a back-up utility which automatically backs up the transaction data to a permanent storage (NOR flash). Transaction data will be triggered very frequently and existing transaction data files may be modified frequently. Therefore I need a RAM based cache file system along with a permanent storage. My questions are, 1. I m trying to use File Cache Manager to accomplish it. Is this a correct solution? 2. If YES, how can i use my SRAM (not the SDRAM) to store the cached files? (In case of a power fluctuation, SRAM is more reliable than SDRAM, therefore we sele...

Outlook 2007 Won't Start.
Installed Office 2007 on Vista Biz, new machine. Every time I start Outlook, it goes into a "configureing Microsoft Office" frenzy. at the end of that, it forces me to reboot. Start outlook again and it does the same thing. On two ocassions, it reports that it cannot locate MSVCR80.DLL but a search in C:\windows shows it is there. I have run a repair twice. Uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times. All other office programs seem to run fine. Any ideas?? JohnS Hi Homer, What happens if you launch Outlook elevated? Do you see the same behavior? -- Benjamin Gay [MSFT] This posti...

Color format not saved in MS Project 2007
A PM reported that color format used in his project files disappeared from project server after it's level loaded against other projects in the server. Is this an error? This seems to happen when you select color formatting from the Gantt view. Not exactly sure how it works but from what I gather if you have a view definition contained in the global enterprise then customisations to view by the PM (incl. colouring of tasks or font changes) will/could be overwritten by the PServer definition in the global. you can make it work but got to fiddle a bit with view/organiser stu...

manage add-ons
when i turn on IE8 the manage add-ons windows automatically appears. how do i stop this happening Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start IE in No Add-ons mode: => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons). Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons)...